5th Gate at WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I concur, if SW didn't warrant an entire theme park, the only other thing they have that might warrant it right now is Marvel. And barring any change to the agreement with Universal, that's not happening either.
If disney completes the sale with fox....you could see a deal between comcast and disney. In which comcast sells the rest of hulu and the universal agreement and disney sells sky Europe.

If disney completes the sale with fox....you could see a deal between comcast and disney. In which comcast sells the rest of hulu and the universal agreement and disney sells sky Europe.

With the Fox deal, Disney would get 60% ownership of Hulu as well as all 6 seats on the board. Essentially full control, and if Comcast sells off their share, Hulu would lose a massive part of what it was all about in the first place. Streaming the big network shows, one of the services biggest draws. I'm not sure what incentive Disney would have to lose Comcast off of Hulu, plus every company has attempted to sell off their ownership of Hulu before only to fail to find a buyer.

For the Universal deals, Disney makes money off their competitor's parks the way it currently is, and adding Simpsons to their library increases that payday. And since they don't need more content to fill out their parks with, the incentive doesn't seem too high to strike a deal for them, especially since that the actual restricted content is fairly limited.

And since Iger has referred to Sky as the crown jewel of the deal, I imagine it's a big reason for the entire purchase and not something they want to dump.

And if the Fox deal goes through, there's no way that they'll be paying for a 5th park anytime soon.

It’s officially “magic kingdom park” because apparently people out west used to/currently call Disneyland “the magic kingdom”
Yes, The Disneyland railroad, calls out, “Welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad! We're now embarking on a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom, with stops at ...”

Yeah, if Star Wars didn't call for a new gate, nothing will at this point. They are pouring money into developing HS and Epcot and even things that were supposed to be coming (i.e. the new theater in MK) are being scaled back/cancelled due to what I'm assuming are budget cuts, so there just doesn't seem to be the money for it. I agree that if Universal opens another park, they may reconsider but with Stars Wars coming to HS, I think we are going to see a large uptick in visitors, making it unnecessary to make another park. I'm just excited to see what else is in store for Epcot!

I believe there is an issue which is why he is turned away from us.

The story I head is they turned him away to face a “forced perspective” wall that’s incredibly ineffective. I’ve never heard about a mechanical issue but you’d probably more privy to that kinda thing than me
Not towards you guys I should elaborate but to the animatronic:

Not to mention that theme parks, however you slice it, take time or build. If they broke ground today they’d be hard pressed to have it done in three years in my best guess
True. Beijing seems to be taking some time. I don’t even think any structures are up. And even though (ok vent warning) I’ve been told constantly by one person that universal’s done with screen based rides, Beijing is going to get a copy of fast and furious supercharged. I’m sorry but fast and furious should definitely be getting an entirely new attraction for the Chinese park instead of a copy of the dumpster fire already. Don’t try to tell me they’re done with screens when the chance they have to actually do justice for fast and furious in a park where the locals adore the movies and you’re building from scratch but nope copy, paste. Maybe I should see someone about this?

Ok back on topic also don’t they have to prepare the land to make sure it’s suitable for anything because Florida soil?

True. Beijing seems to be taking some time. I don’t even think any structures are up. And even though (ok vent warning) I’ve been told constantly by one person that universal’s done with screen based rides, Beijing is going to get a copy of fast and furious supercharged. I’m sorry but fast and furious should definitely be getting an entirely new attraction for the Chinese park instead of a copy of the dumpster fire already. Don’t try to tell me they’re done with screens when the chance they have to actually do justice for fast and furious in a park where the locals adore the movies and you’re building from scratch but nope copy, paste. Maybe I should see someone about this?

Ok back on topic also don’t they have to prepare the land to make sure it’s suitable for anything because Florida soil?
Yeah it’s a pain in the butt to build in Florida. That’s why I expect them to make that third park, but it’s going to be a while and they’re in real danger of getting creamed once all these Disney additions open.

I also agree with your rant btw. I can understand repurposing an existing ride system in Florida, but there’s zero excuse but laziness to duplicate that in China

I concur, if SW didn't warrant an entire theme park, the only other thing they have that might warrant it right now is Marvel. And barring any change to the agreement with Universal, that's not happening either.

I disagree. I don't think that SW warrants it own theme park. I may be in the minority here, but there are still plenty of ppl out there who have no interest in SW. I think making a whole park specific to SW would be to much. That would potentially be a park that some people would have no interest in buying a ticket for or visiting. But by making it just a land in HS I will still buy a ticket to see everything else @ HS, but i have no desire to enter GE. Harry Potter didn't get its own whole park in Universal.

I think they could accomplish the desired effect by putting a villains land in the magic kingdom (which I’d be very for!). I know there are expansion pads where that could happen

Tom Sawyer Island could totally be SPOOKY VILLAIN ISLAND

Not to mention that theme parks, however you slice it, take time or build. If they broke ground today they’d be hard pressed to have it done in three years in my best guess
That estimate is pretty close (at least for the low end). I recall going back at some point and looking at the average time it took from announcement of a new park to completion (for Disney, Universal and other parks as well). It was around 5-6 years with some outliers on either side. So even if there was an announcement this year, it's unlikely we'd see a new park open until the mid-2020s. In the event that Universal does announce a new park, however, it would not surprise me in the least to see that happen sometime between late 2019 and early 2021 to steal some thunder away from Disney's SW:GE and 50th Anniversary.

That estimate is pretty close (at least for the low end). I recall going back at some point and looking at the average time it took from announcement of a new park to completion (for Disney, Universal and other parks as well). It was around 5-6 years with some outliers on either side. So even if there was an announcement this year, it's unlikely we'd see a new park open until the mid-2020s. In the event that Universal does announce a new park, however, it would not surprise me in the least to see that happen sometime between late 2019 and early 2021 to steal some thunder away from Disney's SW:GE and 50th Anniversary.
I’d just be really worried if I was Uni about how the next few years go with all the new Disney stuff. They were talking about how universals parks lost attendance slightly last year and the only thing Disney opened was Pandora (which is a fun land but shouldn’t have warranted a drop in uni parks). Correlation doesn’t mean causation, but with Star Wars on deck, universal could be in for a bit of a rough patch until things get better

I’d just be really worried if I was Uni about how the next few years go with all the new Disney stuff. They were talking about how universals parks lost attendance slightly last year and the only thing Disney opened was Pandora (which is a fun land but shouldn’t have warranted a drop in uni parks). Correlation doesn’t mean causation, but with Star Wars on deck, universal could be in for a bit of a rough patch until things get better

Universal seems to have lost its Harry Potter boost, and Disney's countering just started with Pandora. What Universal really needs is to build rides that don't get terrible reviews. I think that's what is hurting them the most right now. But they also really need you knock it off with the screens, a large portion of potential customers get motion sickness on screen based rides, and there's little variety for those that don't. I'm hoping that Nintendo World will be something different for them.

Agree that Universal's announcement will likely coincide in order to take some attention away from WDW. They are already building the new hotels and dealing with the transportation, so a third park will happen!

I disagree. I don't think that SW warrants it own theme park. I may be in the minority here, but there are still plenty of ppl out there who have no interest in SW. I think making a whole park specific to SW would be to much. That would potentially be a park that some people would have no interest in buying a ticket for or visiting. But by making it just a land in HS I will still buy a ticket to see everything else @ HS, but i have no desire to enter GE. Harry Potter didn't get its own whole park in Universal.

Yea I agree. This is why I don't think any individual IP deserves an entire park. Star Wars could definitely take up a larger section of a new park, but wouldn't base an entire one around it as stated you would alienate an entire group of potential customers. Marvel is the only one I think that could have potential as there is a lot more they could do with it with all of the different franchises within the MCU as a whole and different film styles. But even then I'm not sure they would go for an entire Marvel park for the same reason. Anyone not into superheroes or Marvel would have much less interest in the park than one with a more diverse line up.

Disney will concentrate their focus on current parks. Even when Universal opens a third park it wont have the huge effect many seem to think. Sure they can put a park together fast just like they build attractions fast. Outside of a couple of things the rest are formula screen attractions that only differ because of theme. Its not original. I like some stuff at their parks for what they are and enjoy going to ride specific things a few times a year, but on the whole, it still lacks Disneys creativity and feel of parks, even when Disney just throws something together. Im glad it takes Dis longer to do things and I dont mind. If they max out the expansion areas and really put money into the 4 parks they have, Universal isnt even close to Disney in terms of offerings. The gap will widen over time and Universal will be a step above other "theme" parks but nowhere close to Disney. Im of the mindset FIX what they have, max out the parks already there using the infrastructure they have, Do it WELL, and watch the repercussions it has on universal.

Disney will concentrate their focus on current parks. Even when Universal opens a third park it wont have the huge effect many seem to think. Sure they can put a park together fast just like they build attractions fast. Outside of a couple of things the rest are formula screen attractions that only differ because of theme. Its not original. I like some stuff at their parks for what they are and enjoy going to ride specific things a few times a year, but on the whole, it still lacks Disneys creativity and feel of parks, even when Disney just throws something together. Im glad it takes Dis longer to do things and I dont mind. If they max out the expansion areas and really put money into the 4 parks they have, Universal isnt even close to Disney in terms of offerings. The gap will widen over time and Universal will be a step above other "theme" parks but nowhere close to Disney. Im of the mindset FIX what they have, max out the parks already there using the infrastructure they have, Do it WELL, and watch the repercussions it has on universal.

Any new true theme park is going to draw a massive crowd for a while. Just on the basis of being new. If Universal dumps the $5B+ into a new park to build something worth having, people will be all over it for 5 years. The problem becomes what happens after 5 years. Building something new is fun and exciting, maintaining it is expensive, necessary, drudgery. See EPCOT and Disney Studios, 1990-2015.

I think Universal was on to something with their "when your vacations grow up" campaign. Not that true Disney fans believe, or that I believe myself, but many, many people think Disney is for toddlers through tweens while Universal is for tweens through becoming parents. If Universal builds another park, which seems incredibly likely, they have to play to this theme. Because there are simply too many parks in Orlando already for an American vacation. You really don't want people to split vacations, you want to capture the whole vacation.

Universal's best chance to do that is to be a highly themed coaster and thrill park. There isn't another Harry Potter out there right now to grab kids from Disney. So don't try. Do what you advertise. Don't be screens and simulators. Be thrills and spills and PG13 type rides, shows, restaurants.

As a coach, I tell people all the time that when you are facing the biggest, baddest team in the league, you can't beat them by doing what they do. You have to find a way around them. Disney's refusal to build true thrills and spills coasters, something I have no problem with, is also a competitive weakness. Take advantage of it and do something Disney doesn't. Don't try and out Disney Disney. It's not going to work.

If Star Wars didn't warrant a 5th gate, then I would assume any discussion of such is dead for the foreseeable future.

From the sound of attendance lately at Epcot, that's where their effort needs to be.
Are you talking about the TEA numbers released last month or are you hearing reports that Epoxy is just routinely empty, lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter