A Disney-addicted mom plans a trip in August, 2010! *New pics #574*

Whew, I'm tired just thinking about your week! Your vacation will be much needed by the time it arrives!

Hooray for your Keens! :woohoo: I don't think you'll have trouble breaking them in- mine were immediately comfortable even for speed walking.

I'm am definitely earning my vacation this week! Super stressful week. I've already worked over 40 hours this week and I still have a full day tomorrow. This happens every time I have a vacation planned. At least that means less time to stress about the details! ;)
Our Keens arrived today. I'm wearing mine right now to try to break them in. I bought them a little big for the kids but they seem ok. Zachary's fit a little funny but that's because his feet are shaped a little weird. :confused3 I think it'll be ok. He wore them around the house and seemed fine. It's just a little hard to get on and off (which may not be a bad thing for him! ;) ). After I took them off, he carried them around announcing, "My shoes! My shoes!" Very cute.

Amanda

I feel like I'm earning my vacation and I still have a ways to go. Work has been SUPER busy....not steady, but beyond busy with CRAZY things. UGH!. Hopefully you will come back refreshed. I have been exausted lately. Come 2pm I am ready to pull over and nap (I don't) yet come time for bed I am not tired and my brain is going 100 miles a minute!

YAY for new shoes......

So how are you liking you stroller? Or are you having it shipped to the hotel? I have posted about being so torn about getting one, and which one....UGH! It's between the Graco IPO or the Combi. The Combi is at the store so I can sit the boys in it...the Grace I can't find in any store, just online.

Do you have anything planned for the weekend? Or are you resting up and packing?

Whew, I'm tired just thinking about your week! Your vacation will be much needed by the time it arrives!

Hooray for your Keens! :woohoo: I don't think you'll have trouble breaking them in- mine were immediately comfortable even for speed walking.

Summer is definitely a busy season for work!
My Keens seem pretty comfortable already. I wore them around the house last night. I think I'll put them on each night and all weekend.

I feel like I'm earning my vacation and I still have a ways to go. Work has been SUPER busy....not steady, but beyond busy with CRAZY things. UGH!. Hopefully you will come back refreshed. I have been exausted lately. Come 2pm I am ready to pull over and nap (I don't) yet come time for bed I am not tired and my brain is going 100 miles a minute!

YAY for new shoes......

So how are you liking you stroller? Or are you having it shipped to the hotel? I have posted about being so torn about getting one, and which one....UGH! It's between the Graco IPO or the Combi. The Combi is at the store so I can sit the boys in it...the Grace I can't find in any store, just online.

Do you have anything planned for the weekend? Or are you resting up and packing?

I couldn't find the Graco IPO in a store. We had it shipped directly to Beach Club. It arrived already according to the package tracking on Amazon. I'll let you know!!!
Part of my stress is that I think I need to fire my nanny so I may be spending the weekend asking around and interviewing.... I need this stress right now like I need a hole in my head!
We don't have any big plans for the weekend. Some packing (although limited because the kids still have one more week of day camp), some organizing, and probably some time at the town pool!

Amanda

Oh no! Such a busy week, finding a new nanny is not something you needed right now! It never calms down around there, does it? Well, at least you know that you will need a vacation. Hopefully it's easy to relax once you're there!

I'm catching up! Seems I missed the problems with the nanny :( Is she still going to take you to the airport? I interviewed to be a nanny for a family in Pittsburgh who (husband wife) were surgeons but they were only willing to pay what I make now, no benefits, and I'd have to move to the city = higher rent and they wanted me to be on call for 3 weekends a month so needless to say I passed but I'm sure they found someone great. I know they were using Nannys for Hire or some website like that.

Keep us posted!! I can't believe you leave so sooon!! The pool wasn't too busy when I was there. It seemed worse on the weekend but they were booked at 100% so that is why I'm sure! The lifeguards were out till 11pm so that was nice to be able to swim at night too! I still have my pool wristbands on!!

Oh no! Such a busy week, finding a new nanny is not something you needed right now! It never calms down around there, does it? Well, at least you know that you will need a vacation. Hopefully it's easy to relax once you're there!

I'm never sure if the fact that I have a vacation planned causes chaos or if my vacations just occur at the right time! :rotfl:

Thank goodness my insane week has ended. I left work early to pick up my DD from camp today. Her teacher called yesterday to tell me that poor Jessica had been the very last child picked up every single day of the entire summer. And Jessica's wish was to be picked up first. Just once. It wasn't easy (disaster in the ER, office hours, Friday afternoon insanity) but I made it there. And she was the 1st child picked up. (This is one of the issues that makes me question how long I can keep my current nanny). I took her to get pre-trip pedicures (she also got a manicure but there's no point for me since I'll be operating all week next week). It was great! We even had time to stop at Old Navy and get a few school clothes on sale (Jessica got a dress and 2 pair of leggings; Nathaniel got a much-needed sweatshirt and a long-sleeved Star Wars shirt). A very successful stop.
I ordered a few last-minute items from Amazon. Nathaniel and Jessica each got a new game for their hand-held video systems. Zachary got a new Dora movie. :rolleyes: Today I order the 1st two Kingdom Keeper books as well as the next 4 Magic Treehouse boxes. I also got a Mickey Mouse book for Zachary. I really want to read to the kids on the trip in preparation for school starting.
No word on Jessica's teacher for next year but we're very optimistic that she'll stay with her summer camp teacher (who is our first choice). Nathaniel just got his 1st grade class assignment. Apparently he got the very best 1st grade teacher around. And he has a very, very nice group of kids in his class. Good news!!!
I managed to do a few pre-trip things. I found our rain ponchos (which have been brought on 3 trips and never used!). I bought body glide (my DH was hoping this was something kinky and was quite disappointed with my explanation :rotfl2: ). I have a large shopping bag with each child's carry-on stuff (they are using their backpacks for camp still).
Zachary goes to the peds neurologist 1st thing Monday morning. Then he goes for his "casting" appointment in the afternoon to get his orthotics. That one is right during naptime so I'm sure he'll be super cooperative. :rolleyes: But I'm happy things are moving forward.

Amanda

It sounds like you had a great day with Jessica. I'm so glad you could get out of work to pick her up first.

Did Zachary get the NEW Dora movie? :lmao: If so, we rented it last week, J.J. liked it!

Umm...I'm not sure if you ordered the Kingdom Keepers books for yourself or for the kids (although I think they'd be too scary for kids your kids ages) so I'm going to out myself for reading kids books and say I LOVE LOVE LOVE these books! I read the second one in one evening. I have the third one sitting around (and it's like three times as long as either of the first too) but I can't start reading it because I love them so much I want to be in the best state of mind to completely enjoy it! Maybe after Syd's surgery.

Good luck at the appointments on Monday! I'll be thinking of you!

I'm catching up! Seems I missed the problems with the nanny :( Is she still going to take you to the airport? I interviewed to be a nanny for a family in Pittsburgh who (husband wife) were surgeons but they were only willing to pay what I make now, no benefits, and I'd have to move to the city = higher rent and they wanted me to be on call for 3 weekends a month so needless to say I passed but I'm sure they found someone great. I know they were using Nannys for Hire or some website like that.

Keep us posted!! I can't believe you leave so sooon!! The pool wasn't too busy when I was there. It seemed worse on the weekend but they were booked at 100% so that is why I'm sure! The lifeguards were out till 11pm so that was nice to be able to swim at night too! I still have my pool wristbands on!!

You have me very excited for the pool!
The nanny issues are new-ish. She and Nathaniel have had "disagreements" here and there. Sometimes this has been bad enough to consider finding someone new. The latest issue is the phone call I received from Jessica's teacher. Apparently Jessica was the very last child picked up every single day for the entire summer. And Jessica is too nice to say anything but apparently she spent all summer "wishing" she could be the first one picked up. I'm totally heart-broken over this. When I tried to discuss this with the nanny (nicely), she got really defensive and gave lots of excuses. No apology. No "I'll do better." Nothing. That was very discouraging. I'm not in any rush to "fire her" but I'm going to start looking around for a replacement.

It sounds like you had a great day with Jessica. I'm so glad you could get out of work to pick her up first.

Did Zachary get the NEW Dora movie? :lmao: If so, we rented it last week, J.J. liked it!

Umm...I'm not sure if you ordered the Kingdom Keepers books for yourself or for the kids (although I think they'd be too scary for kids your kids ages) so I'm going to out myself for reading kids books and say I LOVE LOVE LOVE these books! I read the second one in one evening. I have the third one sitting around (and it's like three times as long as either of the first too) but I can't start reading it because I love them so much I want to be in the best state of mind to completely enjoy it! Maybe after Syd's surgery.

Good luck at the appointments on Monday! I'll be thinking of you!

Thank you!
I ordered some Dora and the Pirates movie (or something like that) because it was on sale at Amazon. We only have 2 Dora DVDs (and several episodes on DVR) so it's certainly not the newest one.
I ordered the Kingdom Keepers books for myself and to see if they were ok for the kids. I did get another boxed set of Magic Treehouse, too.
Jessica had a HUGE smile on her face all afternoon. It was so precious. Well-worth the huge price I'll pay at work next week....

Amanda

I'm glad you were able to get Jessica picked up first and I bet she loved her mani/pedi. :lovestruc

The books and movies sound like fun too. :goodvibes

I'm glad you're happy with Nathanial's teacher and hope it all goes as well for Jessica.

Hilarious about dh's reaction to the body glide. :lmao:

Aww that's great that you make Jessica's wish come true-- I always get a mani/pedi before a trip, too!! As far as your nanny-- no point in paying someone a crazy amount of money (which I'm sure your Westchester nanny gets) if you're not 100% comfortable and happy with their services!
Hope everything goes well with Zachary-- like you said, moving forward is always a step in the right direction.

I'm glad you were able to get Jessica picked up first and I bet she loved her mani/pedi. :lovestruc

The books and movies sound like fun too. :goodvibes

I'm glad you're happy with Nathanial's teacher and hope it all goes as well for Jessica.

Hilarious about dh's reaction to the body glide. :lmao:

Jessica and I had SO much fun at the nail salon. I need to make time to do that more often. She's the total middle child - Nathaniel is fairly high-strung and Zachary is the baby (and has the motor delays).
DH and body glide - :rolleyes: :lmao: Such a man!!!

Aww that's great that you make Jessica's wish come true-- I always get a mani/pedi before a trip, too!! As far as your nanny-- no point in paying someone a crazy amount of money (which I'm sure your Westchester nanny gets) if you're not 100% comfortable and happy with their services!
Hope everything goes well with Zachary-- like you said, moving forward is always a step in the right direction.

I sat and calculated her annual salary and it's very generous. We need someone who works morning and afternoon/evening but is "off" during the day. So it's not a typical schedule. And we need her to be available if one of the kids is sick and has to stay home. But we pay her for it. And i'm pretty reasonable to work for. In general she's reliable but she's chronically late. It's one thing for her to arrive 15 minutes late every morning and something totally different to leave my kids waiting. I've started putting out feelers for a replacement but I'm not in a rush to fire her.

Amanda

We had a really great day today! First of all the weather was great! Low 80's, not humid, sunny and comfortable. This morning I got some laundry done (I washed our Perry the Platypus shirts for the trip). Then we packed the kids up and went to the Bronx Zoo. We got there later than usual (it opens at 10am and we usually try to get there by 10:30) and started off by grabbing lunch. I think that helped because nobody was hungry. Good lesson for Disney! The kids were good and we just had a nice time. We left around 1:30-2pm and ran some errands.
Our bedroom tv has been dying a slow and painful death. It's officially gone. Having that tv is great because the big kids can watch something while I'm putting Zachary to bed. They aren't downstairs by themselves and yelling for me. And in the morning we can put on Mickey Mouse while we all snuggle in bed together. Losing the tv was tragic! ;) Tom got a little extra money this month and my raise just went through so we decided to replace the tv. Our old tv was old so our 1st stop was the cable company to trade-in our box for an HD cable box. Then we picked up our new tv from BestBuy. (We ordered it online.) I also convinced Tom that our portable DVD player (which is 6 years old) won't hold a charge long enough to show a single movie on the plane. So we replaced that, too. (We use our portable DVD player as our only DVD player in our room but it stays plugged in so the battery isn't an issue.) I was really worried about the old DVD player on the plane so I'm very, very happy now. And I pointed out that it was several hundred $$$ cheaper than an iPad. :rotfl:
I placed another amazon order today (it's a disease, really). I got Tom a pair of Croakies for his sunglasses (the things you wear around your next to hold your sunglasses on). I also bought Shrek 2 and High School Musical 1. They were both on sale and will be great for the trip. The kids all love Shrek and have never seen Shrek 2. So it'll keep them occupied and it's good for everyone (Nathaniel loves Star Wars and Harry Potter but the other kids are too young. Jessica loves princesses but has 2 brothers. If the older kids have to watch another Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Dora show, they may kill Zachary.). I think I'm done spending $$$ for the trip (until we get there anyway).

Amanda

Sounds like a great day! I never knew the thingies that go on Sunglasses were Croakies. Is that the brand name for them? I can totally relate to never being able to find a movie the kids will agree on. It is an endless battle around here too:rolleyes:

Sounds like a great day! I never knew the thingies that go on Sunglasses were Croakies. Is that the brand name for them? I can totally relate to never being able to find a movie the kids will agree on. It is an endless battle around here too:rolleyes:

Croakies is a brand name. I used to race sailboats (another random fact about me!) and we always had Croakies for our sunglasses in case we capsized (which happened relatively frequently in the little boats we used). I just searched Croakies on amazon and found them. They carry other brands, too.

When my hard-to-please 6 year old begged me to buy Shrek 2, I decided it was a sign. He doesn't know I bought it but he'll be happy.

Amanda

I placed another amazon order today (it's a disease, really). I think I'm done spending $$$ for the trip (until we get there anyway).

Amanda

Ok Doc......since this shopping disease seems to be spreading, please tell me there is a cure?!?!?!?! :rotfl2:

I found the Graco on walmart.com for $155 with free site to store shipping, and will order it from there, this way if I don't like it, I can return it to Walmart!!! Now just to convince DH we need another stroller when the boys are 5 and 6 (but we are planning more children...well, he is planning A child, I would like 2 more!).

I went to the Bronx Zoo in July with a mom's group before our annual gathering in CT....it was the 1st time I had been there since I was a child and I ended up signing up for a family pass.....I figure even if we go one for 2 more times before it expires (next July) it will be worth it. The $13 parking is a killer! It does tick me off a bit that you pay to get in, then they want you to fork over more money to see other things.....Philly zoo and Washington DC zoos are not that way, but then again, NY does it's own thing!!!!

So do you REALLY think you are done shopping? Come on now, you do have a week before your trip!!!!

Love the Bronx Zoo!! We went one Wednesday last summer-- never again!! It's worth it to pay admission to not have to deal with the crazy crowds on the freebie day :scared1:
We spent the day at the Westchester Mall (looking, not buying!), but I wished we were outside! It really was perfect out!

yay for some great buys!!!!

The travel section at Target is always a down-fall for me! I "never" need anything and end up spending 40 bucks on travel supplies haha.

Ok Doc......since this shopping disease seems to be spreading, please tell me there is a cure?!?!?!?! :rotfl2:

I found the Graco on walmart.com for $155 with free site to store shipping, and will order it from there, this way if I don't like it, I can return it to Walmart!!! Now just to convince DH we need another stroller when the boys are 5 and 6 (but we are planning more children...well, he is planning A child, I would like 2 more!).

I went to the Bronx Zoo in July with a mom's group before our annual gathering in CT....it was the 1st time I had been there since I was a child and I ended up signing up for a family pass.....I figure even if we go one for 2 more times before it expires (next July) it will be worth it. The $13 parking is a killer! It does tick me off a bit that you pay to get in, then they want you to fork over more money to see other things.....Philly zoo and Washington DC zoos are not that way, but then again, NY does it's own thing!!!!

So do you REALLY think you are done shopping? Come on now, you do have a week before your trip!!!!

We go often and upgraded our membership so we get unlimited free parking and unlimited attraction passes. The DC zoo is much less expensive but I think the Bronx Zoo is so much bigger. I guess I have a NY bias! :thumbsup2

We bought some airplane snacks and gum at the grocery store today. I don't think there is much more I *could* buy before the trip! :lmao: I'm working all week and then leaving on Saturday. Tom goes to Dallas Friday morning so unless I buy a few things on my way home from work, I'm done. I did place a diaper/pull-up order from diapers.com but that's more a routine thing than a pre-trip one. And I included diapers in our garden grocer order so I'm only going to bring about 10 diapers for the trip down.

Love the Bronx Zoo!! We went one Wednesday last summer-- never again!! It's worth it to pay admission to not have to deal with the crazy crowds on the freebie day :scared1:
We spent the day at the Westchester Mall (looking, not buying!), but I wished we were outside! It really was perfect out!

Love the Westchester! I was just there about a week ago (TMI: pre-trip bikini wax at Elizabeth Arden - love that place!). I bought a few school clothes on sale at Children's Place and Gymboree. Cute stuff for a good price!
We've been members of the Bronx Zoo for about 6-7 years and love it. We go year-round. One advantage of membership is that we don't feel bad about leaving when the kids get cranky. We've had trips that only lasted an hour!

yay for some great buys!!!!

The travel section at Target is always a down-fall for me! I "never" need anything and end up spending 40 bucks on travel supplies haha.

Target is just dangerous for me. I can't leave that store without spending $100. It's a disease!

Amanda

I'm really trying to stay on top of the laundry so I can pack things as they get clean. Since we'll have a washer/dryer, I can pack a few dirty things but it'll be nicer to have everything ready. I'm pretty sure I'll do the ziplock baggies for the kid-stuff.
Question: Should I put a sweatshirt for each child in their carry-ons? I always get a little chilly mid-flight but I don't want to overpack the carry-ons since I won't have Tom to help me.

Amanda

I'm really trying to stay on top of the laundry so I can pack things as they get clean. Since we'll have a washer/dryer, I can pack a few dirty things but it'll be nicer to have everything ready. I'm pretty sure I'll do the ziplock baggies for the kid-stuff.
Question: Should I put a sweatshirt for each child in their carry-ons? I always get a little chilly mid-flight but I don't want to overpack the carry-ons since I won't have Tom to help me.

Amanda

I always bring a sweatshirt/fleece on the plane with me. I didn't when I flew home on Tues and was very sad that I didn't! I turned my air off but it still seemed chilly to me! I guess you are always better safe than sorry!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter