A Disney-addicted mom plans a trip in August, 2010! *New pics #574*

That weather sounds great! Even better that you got to enjoy it by going to the zoo. :goodvibes It's only slightly cooler than the surface of the sun here so we stay inside as much as possible. It's also great that you got to figure out that no hunger equals more fun! :thumbsup2 We try to remember that we all have a good time if we HALT. That is make sure no one is hungry, angry, left-out/lonely, or tired.

I know what you mean about spending money! I only have two minor things (moleskin and travel wipes) left to buy and then I'm done! Its so hard because the shopping and planning are fun and lots of things really would come in handy even if they aren't exactly necessary. :rolleyes1 Our dvd players don't hold a great charge anymore either but I think I'm just going to let them use the laptop.

Your trip is so close, you must be so excited (also stressed but mostly excited)! :yay:

I always bring a sweatshirt/fleece on the plane with me. I didn't when I flew home on Tues and was very sad that I didn't! I turned my air off but it still seemed chilly to me! I guess you are always better safe than sorry!!!

You're right. I should just bring them.

That weather sounds great! Even better that you got to enjoy it by going to the zoo. :goodvibes It's only slightly cooler than the surface of the sun here so we stay inside as much as possible. It's also great that you got to figure out that no hunger equals more fun! :thumbsup2 We try to remember that we all have a good time if we HALT. That is make sure no one is hungry, angry, left-out/lonely, or tired.

I know what you mean about spending money! I only have two minor things (moleskin and travel wipes) left to buy and then I'm done! Its so hard because the shopping and planning are fun and lots of things really would come in handy even if they aren't exactly necessary. :rolleyes1 Our dvd players don't hold a great charge anymore either but I think I'm just going to let them use the laptop.

Your trip is so close, you must be so excited (also stressed but mostly excited)! :yay:

My laptop is worse than the DVD player. It only works if it's plugged in which makes it useless at the airport or on the plane. I may bring it (actually I'd put it in one of the check bags because it's value is so low that I'd rather lose it than have to carry it on!) so I can play on the internet while the kids are sleeping.
I could spend a lot more $$$ if I let myself! :lmao:

Amanda

Hey Amanda...just getting caught up with everybody's reports and got to yours today. I can't believe how close you are getting!!!:yay:

I LOVE your idea of having a "celebration" night for everyone in the family. How fun!

Good luck with all the last-minute organizing and packing. Sounds like a killer past and upcoming week at work, but how great you got to spend that quality time with Jessica. You won't remember the work chaos in 1 month's time, but you will remember the mommy-daughter bonding time!:goodvibes

I think you must be the busiest mom ever. How do you do it all?!?

I think you're probably making a good decision about your nanny. You can never be too picky about who takes care of your children when you're not around.

The Bronx Zoo sounds like fun!

You have been busy shopping, huh? Today we went to Sam's club and picked up sunscreen and juice for our trip. You know, because we like to pretend it's not THREE MONTHS until we go. Heaven help us when we're a week away. There's always so many extra little things that would be nice to have!

It really sounds like your garden grocer order is going to help. Just the extra luggage room from not having to pack diapers is SO helpful. That will certainly be nice since you have enough on your hands already!

Personally, I would pack a long sleeve shirt for each kid. If they're cold, then they can slip it on over (or under) their existing shirt and the layers should keep them warm. Sweatshirts are just so bulky to bring with you.

Just one more (insanely busy) week and you'll be in disneyworld!

Hey Amanda...just getting caught up with everybody's reports and got to yours today. I can't believe how close you are getting!!!:yay:

I LOVE your idea of having a "celebration" night for everyone in the family. How fun!

Good luck with all the last-minute organizing and packing. Sounds like a killer past and upcoming week at work, but how great you got to spend that quality time with Jessica. You won't remember the work chaos in 1 month's time, but you will remember the mommy-daughter bonding time!:goodvibes

Thank you. You are SO right about memories. I will remember the special day I gave Jessica (and so will she). The chaos at work will get managed (somehow!). Glad you like my celebration idea. I hope it's fun!

I think you must be the busiest mom ever. How do you do it all?!?

I think you're probably making a good decision about your nanny. You can never be too picky about who takes care of your children when you're not around.

The Bronx Zoo sounds like fun!

You have been busy shopping, huh? Today we went to Sam's club and picked up sunscreen and juice for our trip. You know, because we like to pretend it's not THREE MONTHS until we go. Heaven help us when we're a week away. There's always so many extra little things that would be nice to have!

It really sounds like your garden grocer order is going to help. Just the extra luggage room from not having to pack diapers is SO helpful. That will certainly be nice since you have enough on your hands already!

Personally, I would pack a long sleeve shirt for each kid. If they're cold, then they can slip it on over (or under) their existing shirt and the layers should keep them warm. Sweatshirts are just so bulky to bring with you.

Just one more (insanely busy) week and you'll be in disneyworld!

I think I'm insanely busy, too! :lmao:
I've been accumulating "things" for our trip for a while. I'm glad that I did a bunch of it ahead of time. I would never get the activity books done at this stage of the game. Not with work insanity and Zachary having 2 doctor appts tomorrow.
Gardengrocer rocks! We use them even when we don't stay in a villa. Just having breakfast, snacks, and beverages in the room is awesome. We had free dining last December and still appreciated the groceries!
I like your shirt idea but will probably just do sweatshirts. I'm bringing a tote bag for a purse. Our diaper bag is a huge backpack. And then each child will have a good-sized backpack. Even if the sweatshirts go around the waist, it'll be ok.

Amanda

The overpacking has begun! :lmao:
You would think that having a washer/dryer would allow me to NOT overpack. Nope. I can't help myself! :rotfl2: I started packing "casual" clothes for me and "dress" clothes for the kids. We like to dress a little nicer for our TS dinners. Nothing fancy. For the boys khaki shorts/polo shirts. For girls, sundresses. I packed 4 "dress" outfits for Zachary today. We'll have 5 dinners out so I really don't need that many but he doesn't get to wear his nice clothes that often at home and I don't want them to go to waste. :thumbsup2 At least that's how I justify my overpacking! :lmao:
I think with PJs and casual clothes it'll be easier for me to not overpack since the kids wear those every day anyway. I'll let you know!
Tonight I'm going to try to organize everything and start packing the diaper bag/backpack. Wish me luck!

Amanda

I'm a chronic overpacker too. I slimmed it down when Riley and I went alone because we were flying, and we still didn't wear a few of the shirts I packed!

This time we are driving. I'm trying really hard not to go overboard, but my packing list keeps getting longer and longer

The Westchester is sooo dangerous for me! I do have to say, some of the stores do have good sales, though (not so much Louis Vouitton)! I've even gotten jeans at Neiman for nearly 50%. We always have to stop at Nordstrom Rack at City Center, too. Love Red Door/Elizabeth Arden Salon! DBF surprised me with a massage there once-- unbelievable!
I would definitely put sweatshirts in the kid's carry-on's. They're not too heavy to carry-- plus, you don't want kiddies complaining about being cold. I feel like most airplanes are freezing.
Haha, I always overpack! My theory is-- you'd rather have too much than regret not bringing something. We really like dressing up a bit for dinner, too. Part of the fun!

I'm a chronic overpacker too. I slimmed it down when Riley and I went alone because we were flying, and we still didn't wear a few of the shirts I packed!

This time we are driving. I'm trying really hard not to go overboard, but my packing list keeps getting longer and longer

If we were driving I'd have NO restraint!!! :rotfl:
I'm trying to be careful about my overpacking problem: 1) I'm flying alone with the kids so if their bags are too heavy, I'll have to carry them all! 2) We have a washer/dryer. I *will* do laundry every day. Only my fashion-conscious daughter will care if she wears the same outfit every day.
Even so, I'm fighting myself! I think it's hardest for my things because I care how I look in the pictures (vanity is evil!) and, like I said, the nicer clothes that haven't gotten enough use and will be outgrown soon.
I'm also super paranoid about keeping the kids entertained on the way there. We have a 90-120 minute car ride to the airport. 1-2 hours waiting at the airport. We're boarding early (I paid the $10 per ticket for the priority boarding on SW) so we'll have extra time on the plane. Then it's almost 3 hours in the air. We're doing DME so we have the bus ride. I know the kids will be extra good because it's just me but it's going to be a long day! (And we're lucky that it's a short-ish flight because many people have much longer to travel!)

Amanda

The overpacking has begun! :lmao:
You would think that having a washer/dryer would allow me to NOT overpack. Nope. I can't help myself! :rotfl2: I started packing "casual" clothes for me and "dress" clothes for the kids. We like to dress a little nicer for our TS dinners. Nothing fancy. For the boys khaki shorts/polo shirts. For girls, sundresses. I packed 4 "dress" outfits for Zachary today. We'll have 5 dinners out so I really don't need that many but he doesn't get to wear his nice clothes that often at home and I don't want them to go to waste. :thumbsup2 At least that's how I justify my overpacking! :lmao:
I think with PJs and casual clothes it'll be easier for me to not overpack since the kids wear those every day anyway. I'll let you know!
Tonight I'm going to try to organize everything and start packing the diaper bag/backpack. Wish me luck!

Amanda

Good luck!! I'm really not an overpacker when its just me- I usually don't even check a bag if I'm going somewhere without the kids. But it is impossible not to overpack with kids, I'd rather have too much than leave behind something crucial when it comes to the kids. At least that's how I justify MY overpacking. :rolleyes1:lmao:

The Westchester is sooo dangerous for me! I do have to say, some of the stores do have good sales, though (not so much Louis Vouitton)! I've even gotten jeans at Neiman for nearly 50%. We always have to stop at Nordstrom Rack at City Center, too. Love Red Door/Elizabeth Arden Salon! DBF surprised me with a massage there once-- unbelievable!
I would definitely put sweatshirts in the kid's carry-on's. They're not too heavy to carry-- plus, you don't want kiddies complaining about being cold. I feel like most airplanes are freezing.
Haha, I always overpack! My theory is-- you'd rather have too much than regret not bringing something. We really like dressing up a bit for dinner, too. Part of the fun!

I have a weakness for the petite section at Nordstorm's. They have a new-ish buyer who has done a great job. I have to avoid that store now that we're on a budget! ;) I've become a J.Jill fan. For the last several weeks I've been coveting an iPad so the Apple Store is down-right dangerous! :lmao:
I also LOVE shopping for the kids at the Westchester. Some of the stores are ridiculous (Burberry's for kids, really???) but Children's Place has great sales and even Gymboree can have some bargains.
I think I will bring sweatshirts. I'm always cold and Nathaniel has definitely inherited that trait!

Amanda

Good luck!! I'm really not an overpacker when its just me- I usually don't even check a bag if I'm going somewhere without the kids. But it is impossible not to overpack with kids, I'd rather have too much than leave behind something crucial when it comes to the kids. At least that's how I justify MY overpacking. :rolleyes1:lmao:

That's true. I definitely do better when it's just me but I still tend to check my bag so that I don't have to find travel-sized everything for the security check. I also figure the kids are more likely to spill on me than I am to spill on myself (although I guess that depends on what I'm drinking... :rolleyes1 ).

Amanda

Thinking of you today...hoping Zachary's appointments went well!

Thank you!

I took Zachary to the pediatric neurologist today. She was lovely (and waived our co-pay as a professional courtesy which was totally not necessary). She said it's possible that Zachary has CP but she favors a diagnosis of Benign Congenital Hypotonia. You may ask, "What the heck is that???" and my answer is "I'm not totally sure." ;)
Hypotonia is another word for low tone or floppy. It means that his muscle are weak. And it's all over his body. While is left side is weaker than the right, she feels that his "floppiness" is everywhere (including his swallowing muscle which explains the choking). Now it's possible to have hypotonia from CP so we haven't eliminated that as a possibility.
There are rare causes of hypotonia which can cause a life-threatening reaction to anesthesia (I knew this already) so we have to be careful if he needs surgery. Other than that he needs PT/OT - which he already receives. She agrees that orthotics will be helpful. She wants to see him again in 6-8 months.
The appointment for the orthotics was pretty quick. The guy made casts of each foot/ankle. Zachary was NOT enjoying this but it was pretty quick. We got to pick out a pattern (Zachary choose doggies with a baseball on a red background :confused3 ). They won't be ready for several more weeks which works well with our schedules.

In trip news: I managed another trip to Target! :lmao: I bought a mesh hamper (the kind that collapses) and a closet organizer thingy. There are never enough drawers for our stuff! Then I bought some extra sunblock, razors, shaving cream, batteries, etc. Oh and most importantly I bought a thingy that will allow one headphone port to split into 2 ports on our DVD player. The player has 2 headphone ports so this will give us 3 ports. And it only cost $3.99!

Amanda

Amanda, I have hypotonia, especially in my neck and eye muscles. I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

HAHA..I knew you wouldn't be done shopping!! LOL!

I too went to Target today (and Kmart to return something, and Walmart and kohls to look at luggage!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found Toy Story Bendaroo books for $2.48 which was 75% off, so I got one for each of the boys for the trip.

Kohls has a nice suitcase on sale and a friend got 30% off when you use your Kohls charge, so hopefully we can go out tomorrow to get it!!! It will bring it down to about $80, org $229!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad the appointment went well and you felt comfortable with the neurologist. I hope you get some more solid answers soon but it sounds as if Zachary is getting what he needs in the mean time. :hug:

LOL that you went back to Target! :lmao: All those things sound great though- we already have a collapsible hamper and an over the door shoe organizer or I'd have had to pick up that stuff too. ;)

HAHA..I knew you wouldn't be done shopping!! LOL!

I too went to Target today (and Kmart to return something, and Walmart and kohls to look at luggage!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found Toy Story Bendaroo books for $2.48 which was 75% off, so I got one for each of the boys for the trip.

Kohls has a nice suitcase on sale and a friend got 30% off when you use your Kohls charge, so hopefully we can go out tomorrow to get it!!! It will bring it down to about $80, org $229!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never done! I just realized that I forgot to order little boxes of cereal in my Garden Grocer order so I might have to grab a package of those....

I'm glad the appointment went well and you felt comfortable with the neurologist. I hope you get some more solid answers soon but it sounds as if Zachary is getting what he needs in the mean time. :hug:

LOL that you went back to Target! :lmao: All those things sound great though- we already have a collapsible hamper and an over the door shoe organizer or I'd have had to pick up that stuff too. ;)

Thanks Hope. I still don't feel like we have a real diagnosis but at least it's not likely to be serious.
I love Target. And it's a dangerous place to shop! :thumbsup2

Amanda

Glad the appointment went well and again, steps are being made in the forward direction for Zachary.
I have a personal "grrr" against that Nordstrom! I love the Rack, but I actually worked at that Nordstrom one summer in college and had an AWFUL experience. My manager was terrible and there was terrible pressure on us to make sales goals. Since a) it wasn't a career for me/ I was pretty complacent and b) I do NOT like pressuring people into making decisions, I was an awful sales girl! They were constantly coming down on me. Once, I even worked 14 hours in preparation for the anniversary sale-- they didn't tell me in advance, just demanded that I stay AND I made zero overtime. So, still, I have boycotted that store! :lmao:
I love the Ann Taylor at the Westchester-- I get great work clothes there and I find the sales girls soo helpful!
We made a trip to Target this weekend, too-- of course!! We're going to Las Vegas in about two weeks and I wanted to pick up sunscreen...and a ton of other things that we don't need (but want!) ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter