ABC Cancels Rosanne After Racist Tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol whoops. It just was at a weird time because I was talking with my wife and how she believes that Roseanne will be picked up by another station so that idea was still in my head. LOL
I also think it's possible it gets picked up. It was one of the highest rated new shows this season. Economics alone might have someone taking a chance on her if they can get the cast and producers to come back. While I think it's a bad idea, it's not that different from what we often, though not always these days, do with star athletes. Money often talks louder than ethics, though I applaud Disney for this decision and I think it less likely the cast and crew will stand with Barr than an athlete's teammates will stand for him (or very occasionally, her).

I also think it's possible it gets picked up. It was one of the highest rated new shows this season. Economics alone might have someone taking a chance on her if they can get the cast and producers to come back. While I think it's a bad idea, it's not that different from what we often, though not always these days, do with star athletes. Money often talks louder than ethics, though I applaud Disney for this decision and I think it less likely the cast and crew will stand with Barr than an athlete's teammates will stand for him (or very occasionally, her).
True, Wanda Sykes a producer of the show said she quit even before ABC announced the cancellation so I imagine it may be hard to get many of the people back together if they want to bring it somewhere else.

Yes, the Consulting Producer (Wanda Sykes) quit the show, before it was cancelled. And actress Emma Kenney was making a call to quit the show when she found out it had been cancelled. How many others were going to follow suit? There may be too much disarray for it be picked up by another network that would have the chutzpah to take it on. There may be no "show" to pick up. This is only day one of the fiasco. If money talks louder than ethics, let's still hope that Disney's ethics will set the standard for this particular case.

Part of me wonders if they couldn’t kill off Rosanne’s character and bring it back but that’s probably a no go. I didn’t watch the revival, but it sounded like she was actually one of the weaker links in the show anyway this go around.

Part of me wonders if they couldn’t kill off Rosanne’s character and bring it back but that’s probably a no go. I didn’t watch the revival, but it sounded like she was actually one of the weaker links in the show anyway this go around.

She was still the central point that the family revolved around, but a lot of the other characters were, if anything, more interesting.

I think her grandson who would wear girls clothes and how Dan dealt with it was, I think, pretty interesting and what a lot of people in this country could learn from

She was still the central point that the family revolved around, but a lot of the other characters were, if anything, more interesting.

I think her grandson who would wear girls clothes and how Dan dealt with it was, I think, pretty interesting and what a lot of people in this country could learn from
In theory they could do what Full House did and shift the show to revolve around Becky or Darlene more. Or make it more about Dan. Especially since John Goodman’s such a good actor.

Maybe too much ill will to swing it at this point. Just kind of a shame that it sounds like they had a good group except for her.

Agreed. You had the daughters struggling to find their way as well with one being a waitress and the other being an unemployed writer with kids. There was the pain killer episode where Roseanne was addicted to pain killers and couldn't afford surgery and how Dan dealt with that.

How about calling out other shows that are just as bad?

Yes this!

This thread isn't about her show. The show was cancelled due to a blatantly racist tweet from Roseanne Barr, that in turn, was so offensive, that ABC canned the show. The (Black female) President of ABC Entertainment, Channing Dungey, stated (as was tweeted by Bob Iger) that....
"Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show."

Iger then tweeted... "There was only one thing to do here, and that was the right thing."
So this post was about the Tweet that led to the cancellation.

Maybe in an ideal world they could’ve taken the time to make such a decision but given the circumstances they had to do what they had to do. Not taking immediate action would’ve sent a terrible message

I kind of wonder that if Disney didn’t cancel this what would happen. I’d assume the ratings would go down a lot because many people would be too disgusted to watch or associate. There would also be a lot of stink on Disney’s name among other things.

I kind of wonder that if Disney didn’t cancel this what would happen. I’d assume the ratings would go down a lot because many people would be too disgusted to watch or associate. There would also be a lot of stink on Disney’s name among other things.
Disney really had no choice but to cancel. They had producers and actors saying they wouldn't come back because of it so they wouldn't have had much of a show if they didn't.

Maybe in an ideal world they could’ve taken the time to make such a decision but given the circumstances they had to do what they had to do. Not taking immediate action would’ve sent a terrible message
Oh yeah, they had to stop the bleeding today. But, that doesn’t stop them from meeting with Wanda Sykes and Sara Gilbert and putting it back together without Rosanne Barr in theory. Their beef is with Rosanne. Not each other necessarily. They all did what they had to do today. Again, not probable, but maybe possible...maybe.

Disney really had no choice but to cancel. They had producers and actors saying they wouldn't come back because of it so they wouldn't have had much of a show if they didn't.

Yeah I 100% agree, they made the right decision on all accounts, but im just playing a “what if?” Game of sorts

In theory they could do what Full House did and shift the show to revolve around Becky or Darlene more. Or make it more about Dan. Especially since John Goodman’s such a good actor.

Maybe too much ill will to swing it at this point. Just kind of a shame that it sounds like they had a good group except for her.

The show could be about Jackie too. :)

I’m guessing that none of the ensemble cast will want to be associated with Roseanne. AFAIK, they have good reputations. She OTOH had little to lose by tweeting such offensive insults.

Yeah I 100% agree, they made the right decision on all accounts, but im just playing a “what if?” Game of sorts
My “what if” thing is that at this moment in time they have a talented group of people who don’t have other work lined up. They have a set. The only problem is one person. So, what’s stopping them from renaming it “The Connors”,writing Rosanne out of the show and regrouping? What’s stopping them from meeting tonight and figuring it out unless they just think there’s too much bad will or if they think there would be legal problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter