ABC Cancels Rosanne After Racist Tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was always going to end this way. That’s not Twitters fault. It’s just who she is at this point. If it didn’t come out in Twitter, it was going to come out on a talk show or an interview or something eventually.

Absolutely agree. I’m not sure if it’s schtick or just her personality, but it’s tiresome. They knew it would eventually happen and they had a plan in place for when it did.

I think it’s funny that she said that she was going to leave Twitter yesterday, but a cursory search this morning showed she’s still going at it stronger than ever

Also pretty whacky that she blamed her racist Tweet on Ambien, but then she went on another Twitterfest last night knocking fellow cast members of the show.

Did she take Ambien again? Does she have zero self control? Or is she yet again putting her mental and emotional instability out there for the world to see? She is a pathetic person.

I think it’s funny that she said that she was going to leave Twitter yesterday, but a cursory search this morning showed she’s still going at it stronger than ever

Also pretty whacky that she blamed her racist Tweet on Ambien, but then she went on another Twitterfest last night knocking fellow cast members of the show.

Did she take Ambien again? Does she have zero self control? Or is she yet again putting her mental and emotional instability out there for the world to see? She is a pathetic person.

She’s done that before - say she is leaving Twitter and then not doing it

Part of it is that she has built up a pretty big community on Twitter and that is part of her popularity/relevance .... so all that goes away if she stops tweeting

And even now you see a ton of people defending her

She’s done that before - say she is leaving Twitter and then not doing it

Part of it is that she has built up a pretty big community on Twitter and that is part of her popularity/relevance .... so all that goes away if she stops tweeting

I know one of the things she retweeted was “Disney was looking for an excuse to cancel Roseanne” and that sort of drivel. She’s just making herself even less attractive for another network to take a chance on, though that chance pretty much went up in flames yesterday

I know one of the things she retweeted was “Disney was looking for an excuse to cancel Roseanne” and that sort of drivel. She’s just making herself even less attractive for another network to take a chance on, though that chance pretty much went up in flames yesterday

she's trying to play the victim card - and then added in the "don't feel sorry for me!" so people feel like she is tough and leaving with her head held high, etc.

I read in the news that Viacom is pulling her original show off its cable channels that play syndicated reruns. Same for Hulu.

She and her show are now as unwanted as Bill Cosby. If her fellow cast mates weren’t already ticked at her, now they’re losing their royalty income. They must hate her; I doubt they’ll want to work with her again.

Pleasantly surprised that Disney/ABC took action here!

Ambien tweeting is no excuse, but I'm glad she asked people to stop defending her.
Oh, you didn't know? One of the lesser-known side effects of Ambien is blatant racism... :rolleyes2
Yeah, the stuff she is retweeting is just more and more of her showing her true colors. She's completely nuts.
she's trying to play the victim card - and then added in the "don't feel sorry for me!" so people feel like she is tough and leaving with her head held high, etc.
Because we all know that the racists are the true victims here! :rolleyes2:rolleyes2

Because we all know that the racists are the true victims here! :rolleyes2:rolleyes2

well, I don't agree with that - but her follows sure seem to in that she is being unfairly targeted while people that say controversial/political things the other way (ripping the president with unfounded facts, etc.) aren't punished

well, I don't agree with that - but her follows sure seem to in that she is being unfairly targeted while people that say controversial/political things the other way (ripping the president with unfounded facts, etc.) aren't punished
Oh I know - the eyerolls were meant to imply extreme sarcasm, obviously I don't agree with that either! And yeah, not agreeing with the current administration does not equal racism, so good try, Roseanne's followers! Not sure how anyone thinks that argument can hold up. :confused3

I watched the show years ago as I love the sister and thought the kids were very funny! I felt the new show was lacking the natural humor of the first. It was almost as if they tried to hard and the comedy was forced. I don't have facebook or twitter, don't care for either, do believe in free speech BUT people need to act responsibly and there should be consequences for personal attacks. This is coming from a proud Republican who is happy with their vote but feel too many lines are being crossed by everyone, both sides included. I do feel for the rest of the cast...

Oh I know - the eyerolls were meant to imply extreme sarcasm, obviously I don't agree with that either! And yeah, not agreeing with the current administration does not equal racism, so good try, Roseanne's followers! Not sure how anyone thinks that argument can hold up. :confused3

Well, it is a lot of "Whataboutism" - which both sides are often guilty of doing. But even if you don't agree with what people like Joy Baher or Keith Oberman say nor how they say it (and honestly, I often am not) it is usually around an individual and what they have done or say or chose to do - not who they were born as, which is the key difference here

I watched the show years ago as I love the sister and thought the kids were very funny! I felt the new show was lacking the natural humor of the first. It was almost as if they tried to hard and the comedy was forced. I don't have facebook or twitter, don't care for either, do believe in free speech BUT people need to act responsibly and there should be consequences for personal attacks. This is coming from a proud Republican who is happy with their vote but feel too many lines are being crossed by everyone, both sides included. I do feel for the rest of the cast...

I see a lot of people throwing out the "what about free speech?" card, but that just means she can't be jailed for this, not that there can't be any repercussions.

and no matter what your political affiliation is (I too am a registered Republican) racism shouldn't be ok ... she didn't say these things because she is a Republican, she said them because she has hate within her

I hate to see art suffer because of politics, but in the current environment Disney had no choice. Disney would have been boycotted by many groups had the show continued.

I am pretty sure that Barr was just being Barr - a crude human being with a crude sense of humor. I mean, this is what she has been doing her entire life, and it has made her very wealthy.

I am not sure if this is really her, or just a persona that she puts out there. And, BTW, she has insulted EVERY group in the world at some point. So "outrage" over this is silly. Disney knew who they were hiring. She is not a hate monger - she is an irreverent comedian.

I hate to see art suffer because of politics, but in the current environment Disney had no choice. Disney would have been boycotted by many groups had the show continued.

I am pretty sure that Barr was just being Barr - a crude human being with a crude sense of humor. I mean, this is what she has been doing her entire life, and it has made her very wealthy.

I am not sure if this is really her, or just a persona that she puts out there. And, BTW, she has insulted EVERY group in the world at some point. So "outrage" over this is silly. Disney knew who they were hiring. She is not a hate monger - she is an irreverent comedian.

How is racism politics. Shouldn't both Democrats and Republicans be against racism?

What environment you talking about? Are you saying that it's OK to compare African American women to apes (she has done it twice, the other being Susan Rice) because it's cool to be politically incorrect?

And please, explain to me the "art" of her Twitter posts. To me it just seems to be anti-humanist, conspiratorial, and hate-filled.

@Liljo22 - you ask a valid question, but a response will bring too much political discussion into this thread I fear. And @rteetz is a great moderator, who has a thankless job. Perhaps another thread at another time because the first part about how the term racist infiltrates politics has already cost me conversations with family members, so if there is a simple answer I cannot think of one.

No network could take her, anyway, because networks need advertisers. And advertisers don't want that as part of their image. That's why she was fired so quickly: to keep advertisers from bailing from ABC.

Yes! This! I could not believe it! I mean seriously, every time I think that surely society can't get any lower... whoops, there they go! The amount of people defending her, calling it a political issue (those darn liberals, always attaacking those poor conservatives etc...)... It's just honestly sad.

Yes! This! I could not believe it! I mean seriously, every time I think that surely society can't get any lower... whoops, there they go! The amount of people defending her, calling it a political issue (those darn liberals, always attaacking those poor conservatives etc...)... It's just honestly sad.

I certainly get the thought that it does feel at times it isn't even treatment for those that slam conservatives vs those that comment against liberals - but that argument doesn't apply here as she didn't say something political, she associated a person of color to an ape (but I guess they are trying to use this as another argument for the in-equal treatment that can happen)

How is racism politics. Shouldn't both Democrats and Republicans be against racism?
She was joking in a back and forth exchange with someone else. I do not believe that she was being a racist - I believe that she was being an idiot comedian with no limits. That is who she always has been. The politics is simple - jokes are jokes, and not real until someone decides that they are more - this is called "political correctness". Why, do you suppose, that is is called political correctness instead of just correctness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter