ABC Cancels Rosanne After Racist Tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.
My “what if” thing is that at this moment in time they have a talented group of people who don’t have other work lined up. They have a set. The only problem is one person. So, what’s stopping them from renaming it “The Connors”,writing Rosanne out of the show and regrouping? What’s stopping them from meeting tonight and figuring it out unless they just think there’s too much bad will or if they think there would be legal problems.
Or naming it Dan or after one of the daughters.

Really? All I can think of is that they didn't offer a single word of acknowledgement or kindness to the family of the pregnant woman who died at Animal Kingdom last weekend; but this makes the the front page?

The star of a recent TV show revival that was a shockingly huge success got herself fired for going off on Twitter. The things that public people post on social media platforms like Twitter matter, and it is front page material.

OTOH when a theme park guest who is a private citizen experiences a medical emergency, it is nobody’s business except the guest and their loved ones. Not worthy of coverage in the newspaper and actually illegal due to HIPAA laws.

There is no comparison between the two situations.

What’s stopping them from meeting tonight and figuring it out unless they just think there’s too much bad will or if they think there would be legal problems.

Barr is a co-creator and executive producer on the series. My gut tells me it would be a mountain not worth climbing to rebrand the show and remove her. If they tried without her blessing, she would probably sue. Likely the only way to get her blessing would be to pay her. Doing that would upset a good chunk of potential viewers of the new version of the show.

Disney did the only thing they could do in this situation. Protect the brand. You don't screw with the Mouse's image and money...he knows people.

Rebranding the show or any attempt to save isn't feasible I wouldn't think. Carsey Werner (if I spelled that right) is the owner of the show though, so they could try to shop it around but I don't see any of the Big 4 touching it. Netflix and Amazon won't get within a mile of it either.

Both the Hollywood Reporter AND Variety insinuated Ms. Barr had been asked repeatedly to find other outlets to express her "views" other than Twitter - namely by co-star (and the Executive Producer that got the reboot green-lit) Sara Gilbert.

Frankly, good riddance to her. I'm glad Disney decided that the ad dollars weren't worth associating with such a toxic, racist individual - especially on a network that embraces minorities and diversity in their primetime lineup. Take "Blackish" for instance - it was already a modern ground-breaking show, but the way they tackled marriage and the highs and lows of it this season? It was so real, and so true ... and it had NOTHING to do with race. It was such an honest, open, truthful portrayal - and the ratings and advertisers reflect that. You can't carry another show that would potentially put those ratings (and awards), as well as advertisers at risk because of one person as part of an ensemble.

And it was truly an ensemble based on how so many people say they could've just killed her off and spun the story around Dan or Jackie or the girls. They went for low-hanging fruit to get extra ad money, rolled with it as long as they could and it blew up in their face (like the probably knew it was going to).

Oh yeah, they had to stop the bleeding today. But, that doesn’t stop them from meeting with Wanda Sykes and Sara Gilbert and putting it back together without Rosanne Barr in theory. Their beef is with Rosanne. Not each other necessarily. They all did what they had to do today. Again, not probable, but maybe possible...maybe.

Interesting!

My “what if” thing is that at this moment in time they have a talented group of people who don’t have other work lined up. They have a set. The only problem is one person. So, what’s stopping them from renaming it “The Connors”,writing Rosanne out of the show and regrouping? What’s stopping them from meeting tonight and figuring it out unless they just think there’s too much bad will or if they think there would be legal problems.

I must say. I think you've got something there!

I must say. I think you've got something there!
Someone brought it up on the other Rosanne thread. The 80s show Valerie is what comes to mind. They had problems with the lead actress so they fired her and just renamed the show and had an “aunt” move in or something after killing off the mom’s character. The actress faded into obscurity. If they could do this without having to pay Barr another dime.... I might actually watch that. I didn’t watch this because I didn’t like that it gave her a platform to do essentially what we saw exhibited today. But, I always liked the original show. Dan was always the better character....and Jackie.

Someone brought it up on the other Rosanne thread. The 80s show Valerie is what comes to mind. They had problems with the lead actress so they fired her and just renamed the show and had an “aunt” move in or something after killing off the mom’s character. The actress faded into obscurity. If they could do this without having to pay Barr another dime.... I might actually watch that. I didn’t watch this because I didn’t like that it gave her a platform to do essentially what we saw exhibited today. But, I always liked the original show. Dan was always the better character....and Jackie.

Ah! You're talking about The Hogan Family! I loved that show! With and without Valerie Harper. But truth be told, I did not care for her replacement (Sandy Duncan - even though I like Sandy Duncan - she was still miscast imo). Valerie Harper always did keep a pretty low profile anyway - so I wouldn't say she faded into obsurity. More recently her battle with Cancer was publicized a year or so ago. But yes, she had a falling out with the producers, they said bye.. the show will go on. lol.

In theory they could do what Full House did and shift the show to revolve around Becky or Darlene more. Or make it more about Dan. Especially since John Goodman’s such a good actor.

Maybe too much ill will to swing it at this point. Just kind of a shame that it sounds like they had a good group except for her.
I’m most upset for John Goodman and the rest of the cast, is that bad? Mostly John because I have a lot of respect for his career. My sister thinks they shouldn’t have brought it back to begin with after the nazi photos resurfaced. To be fair you do need risk for reward but you do need restrained when your name is the title of the show and it’s pretty much based on your life. Which is why I don’t see the view going away but let’s just leave it at that

Take "Blackish" for instance - it was already a modern ground-breaking show, but the way they tackled marriage and the highs and lows of it this season? It was so real, and so true ... and it had NOTHING to do with race. It was such an honest, open, truthful portrayal - and the ratings and advertisers reflect that. You can't carry another show that would potentially put those ratings (and awards), as well as advertisers at risk because of one person as part of an ensemble.
You do know there was an episode of black-ish pulled for being too political this past season correct?

I know it goes against everything that Twitter, and all social media for that matter, is, but they should put a 24 hour hold on posts before they are published. People just don’t think about what they are putting out there. A number of people in my line of work have lost their jobs because of ridiculous social media posts and this is just another example of a career ruined by a lack of impulse control. Then again, if an adult can’t figure out that these types of things shouldn’t be broadcast to the world at large maybe it’s better to be rid of them.

I know it goes against everything that Twitter, and all social media for that matter, is, but they should put a 24 hour hold on posts before they are published. People just don’t think about what they are putting out there. A number of people in my line of work have lost their jobs because of ridiculous social media posts and this is just another example of a career ruined by a lack of impulse control. Then again, if an adult can’t figure out that these types of things shouldn’t be broadcast to the world at large maybe it’s better to be rid of them.
True. If I was an agent or publicist to one of these celebrities, I would want to have a hold and/or review rights before they could send anything out. I'm not sure that would go down well with some, but it would also be my paycheck they are potentially affecting.

I'm not on Twitter, but will occasionally go look at a tweet referenced in some other media. I will then usually scroll down the feed, and am generally appalled and saddended by the discourse out there. Same for news and sports message boards. Just sad.

Last edited:
This. It isn't Twitter's responsibility to make sure people think before they communicate with the rest of the world. If certain people in high profile positions have that little self-control, the damage done to their careers is completely self-inflicted.

Imo Twitter inadvertently does a good job of exposing certain high-profile bigots (and I'm not just referring to Roseanne) for who they really are, because their PR agents don't stand between them and their phones.

This. It isn't Twitter's responsibility to make sure people think before they communicate with the rest of the world. If certain people in high profile positions have that little self-control, the damage done to their careers is completely self-inflicted.

Imo Twitter inadvertently does a good job of exposing certain high-profile bigots (and I'm not just referring to Roseanne) for who they really are, because their PR agents don't stand between them and their phones.

That part was facetious. We are all responsible for our own actions, or in this case tweets. However irresponsible they may be.

We watched all of the new shows, I really think the show can be rebooted but around Sarah Gilbert's character Darlene. Not surprising, but she did a fantastic job on the show. Going that route, you can still keep John Goodman.

The show would have to be re-named, but i see no reason why the show can't go on without Roseanne.

I thought Disney/ABC did a fantastic job in getting out ahead of this yesterday. I think it shows they had a plan in place for when/if Roseanne would cross the line. They knew there was a good chance of that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter