Am I the only one that is unimpressed with SWGE - where is the juice?

I doubt they spent all that much money on a boarding system, and they’re probably just fine not having to use it.

It wasn't just the app program, which probably did cost quite a bit of $$$, but they also built and installed numerous digital signs/displays in various locations around DL park for people who don't have smart phones. They were pretty large. They removed them about a month ago. I doubt they are glad they invested money into a system they didn't ever use.

Count me among those who think that not having at least a nod to Luke, Leia and Han was a mistake. I totally get wanting to build a bridge for Star Wars to the next generation, but its the parents who are driving the decisions to visit the lands today, and our nostalgia is tied to the original trilogy.

Link: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...wn-sluggish-star-wars-land-attendance-1242748
I don't know if her position being cut is really related to Star Wars though, and more in general just to Disney cutting back with overall attendance lower. The article doesn't really relate them. As it was alluded to though, I think all of the hype and excitement for Star Wars caused fewer people to attend, ironically. Just look at the number of people on these boards that have said they aren't going until 2020.
As for parents driving the decisions, I really don't think that's accurate. Tons of people take Disney trips simply because their kids want to, and they go and see certain things because their kids want to. The parents may pay for the trip, sure, but I don't think many of them have the attitude of "we're paying, so we're deciding what we see and do". That's not how most people treat their Disney vacations, in my experience. They don't avoid attractions simply because they, as an adult, don't know what it is. Star Wars is on the move, with new stories and characters. While there will always be a respect and homage to the old, they can't just sit on them forever. Lots of kids that are interested in Star Wars these days started out with the newer movies, cartoons, video games, etc. They then go back and catch the original movies. This is simply the state of Star Wars currently.

We were at Disney before it opened this summer, and going back in November. I am mainly just dreading SWGE. My DS10 really wants to see the land and wait to ride Smuggler's Run. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I like it well enough. I am fairly hard to impress though. My DS loves Pandora and FOP....I was incredibly underwhelmed with Pandora the land and both rides. I am not holding my breath to be impressed by SWGE. If DS likes it, great, I doubt I will think it's amazing.

I think what bears further consideration is how the lack of FP on MFSR demonstrates that the FP+ system might artificially inflate standby wait times, and may not really be an indicator of an attractions “popularity” or demand.
I agree with this. We were there this past Saturday. We waited about the same time for Smuggler's Run as we did for SDD and 7DMT (park hopped that day) - however, SDD and 7DMT had fastpass people coming thru the line. Had that not been happening, we probably would have had a much shorter wait.

We enjoyed the land. My DS9 was thrilled with it! The way his face lit up when he saw the Falcon sitting there was priceless, and then again realizing when he was "walking thru it". I thought the way the CM's were in character were great. We enjoyed SR and just being in the area. I look forward to Rise opening. I was one that dreaded the opening and fear of crowds. We had a Thanksgiving trip scheduled and (along with other circumstances) moved it to August. Then, after seeing the low crowds we took advantage this past weekend when the kids had yesterday off school and flew down for MNSSHP and to see GE. IMO it did not disappoint.

I agree with this. We were there this past Saturday. We waited about the same time for Smuggler's Run as we did for SDD and 7DMT (park hopped that day) - however, SDD and 7DMT had fastpass people coming thru the line. Had that not been happening, we probably would have had a much shorter wait.

We enjoyed the land. My DS9 was thrilled with it! The way his face lit up when he saw the Falcon sitting there was priceless, and then again realizing when he was "walking thru it". I thought the way the CM's were in character were great. We enjoyed SR and just being in the area. I look forward to Rise opening. I was one that dreaded the opening and fear of crowds. We had a Thanksgiving trip scheduled and (along with other circumstances) moved it to August. Then, after seeing the low crowds we took advantage this past weekend when the kids had yesterday off school and flew down for MNSSHP and to see GE. IMO it did not disappoint.
Yeah, it's been really interesting to see the effect FP+, or lack thereof, has had on the ride. A lot of people are moving through the line, and it's always been pretty packed back there. But without FP+, the wait isn't as high as many other attractions are, which has created the illusion that it's not popular or that people aren't riding it. We haven't really experienced a new attraction without FP+ since the system was put into place, so we're all experiencing the differences for the first time.

Really liked this article: https://kotaku.com/three-months-of-prep-made-our-star-wars-galaxys-edge-t-1838364921

The land, like everything in life, can be as enjoyable and fantastic as you're willing to make it.

This is a great article and these guys really did it right. I'm impressed. It's exactly what Disney meant by "being the star of your own story."

If you walk into Galaxy's Edge and say, "Impress me!", you might be disappointed. But if you're an active participant in your own experience and go in with a great attitude, GE is a delightful sandbox in which you can go crazy and have a blast.

But if you're an active participant in your own experience and go in with a great attitude, GE is a delightful sandbox in which you can go crazy and have a blast.

This is what I'm looking forward to most. I have my own (very minimal) backstory and a Disneybound inspired by Han Solo when I visit. I'm making sure not to take it to that couple's level of skirting the edge (just a vest, white button shirt, and dark jeans) so I don't imagine it being a problem.

This is a great article and these guys really did it right. I'm impressed. It's exactly what Disney meant by "being the star of your own story."

If you walk into Galaxy's Edge and say, "Impress me!", you might be disappointed. But if you're an active participant in your own experience and go in with a great attitude, GE is a delightful sandbox in which you can go crazy and have a blast.
this is where SWGE steps outside of the regular theme park experience. The guests has to be an active participant to get the most out of it. Not saying that walking in and going on the ride or looking at the stores won't do, but if you really want to squeeze the "juice" you have to be willing to be involved. Talk to CM for a minute and it'll do it, pretend you are in another planet and a new, alien outpost.
And I believe this is why some people do not enjoy the land, because they are just not willing to open up to it and just wants Disney to "wow" them in the regular, theme park way. Pandora was the first land of its kind and now SWGE. We will see if they continue the trend or not

Count me among those who think that not having at least a nod to Luke, Leia and Han was a mistake. I totally get wanting to build a bridge for Star Wars to the next generation, but its the parents who are driving the decisions to visit the lands today, and our nostalgia is tied to the original trilogy.

Luke is mentioned in Savi's, his lightsaber is for sale in Dok Ondar's, along with a painting and a bust. The Falcon is the nod to Han. Leia is still the leader of the Resistance during this timeframe so the cast members can talk about her. And there's Leia merch at Dok's as well.

Also, remember that it's not just OT babies bringing their kids to Disney nowadays. The Phantom Menace came out twenty years ago. The prequel generation is old enough to have children now.

Link: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...wn-sluggish-star-wars-land-attendance-1242748

How is the fact that the Millennium Falcon is literally the centerpiece of the entire land not a "nod" to the Original Trilogy and its characters?

We were at Hollywood studios last week, and mostly just used Galaxys Edge as a path to Toy story land. We did the droid thing, and built lightsabers, but didn't really have any other reason to hang out in the land at all. It was just a few shops, and a restaurant with a kind of gross center piece of fake corpses roasting on a fire....not the most appetizing display.

When i got WWOHP, I am in Diagon Alley. I'm in the book. I'm in the movie.

SWGE, I'm at Batuu. Okay Batuu? Where is Batuu? Have I seen this somewhere? Why do I care?

Good point, because all of Star Wars takes place in one place, just like Harry Potter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter