Annual reading challenge 2017-come join us

I am on Goodreads & that keeps track of the books I read. So I just go look there.
I also mark all the books I want to read on there, so when I am ready for another book, I can just look at that list. I currently have 98 books marked to read.

I am in again this year. I will shoot for 40 books. I love all of the book recommendations posted in this thread each year.

I'm back!
Let's do 20 this year. Went from 12 to 15 the past two years. Time for another increase.

Also, my favorite book from last year, not counting A Christmas Carol (because I read that every year), was Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai.

Honorable mentions: Saga Vol 1 if you like graphic novels, Ahsoka and Catalyst if you like Star Wars. George Washington's Secret Six if you are a history nerd.

Last edited:

I am in again this year. I will shoot for 40 books. I love all of the book recommendations posted in this thread each year.

I'm back!
Let's do 20 this year. Went from 12 to 15 the past two years. Time for another increase.

Also, my favorite book from last year, not counting A Christmas Carol (because I read that every year), was Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai I can also recommend

Honorable mentions: Saga Vol 1 if you like graphic novels, Ahsoka and Catalyst if you like Star Wars. George Washington's Secret Six if you are a history nerd.

Thank you both for joining me

Count me in, too! I'm aiming a bit low at 40 but that's because I'm currently in grad school and will be student teaching in the fall. But I'm already on book #2! Hoping to get through at least 5 before my classes start back up in a few weeks.

Count me in, too! I'm aiming a bit low at 40 but that's because I'm currently in grad school and will be student teaching in the fall. But I'm already on book #2! Hoping to get through at least 5 before my classes start back up in a few weeks.

Good luck with your student teaching

Btw thank you for joining me

put me in for 48... current tentative goal. I've read one so far (already at 1/48) and I'm getting into the second now

I'm in! I think I'd like to aim for 26, thanks!

My favorites this past year were:
Mischling
The Kitchen House
The Underground Railraod
Whiter Than Snow
Once We Were Brothers
The Paris Architect

Thanks so much for starting this! I am going to try for 80 this year. I have already finished my first.

#1/80: The Gilded Years by Karin Tanabe (3/5 for style, 4.5/5 for topic) (historical fiction/woman who passed as white to attend Vassar)

I'll join! I have a Goodreads goal of 30 so I will do that here. That is on the low side because I have some things going on once spring starts and not sure how much time I will have for reading.

Thanks so much for starting this! I am going to try for 80 this year. I have already finished my first.

#1/80: The Gilded Years by Karin Tanabe (3/5 for style, 4.5/5 for topic) (historical fiction/woman who passed as white to attend Vassar)

I'll join! I have a Goodreads goal of 30 so I will do that here. That is on the low side because I have some things going on once spring starts and not sure how much time I will have for reading.

Thank you for joining me

Finished book #1/70 - The Other Widow by Susan H. Crawford

This was just okay. Pretty obvious who the bad guy was.

Everybody’s luck runs out. This time it could be theirs . . .
It isn’t safe. That’s what Joe tells her when he ends their affair—moments before their car skids off an icy road in a blinding snowstorm and hits a tree. Desperate to keep her life intact—her job, her husband, and her precious daughter, Lily—Dorrie will do everything she can to protect herself, even if it means walking away from the wreckage. Dorrie has always been a good actress, pretending to be someone else: the dutiful daughter, the satisfied wife, the woman who can handle anything. Now she’s going to put on the most challenging performance of her life. But details about the accident leave her feeling uneasy and afraid. Why didn’t Joe’s airbag work? Why was his car door open before the EMTs arrived? And now suddenly someone is calling her from her dead lover’s burner phone. . . .
Joe’s death has left his wife in free fall as well. Karen knew Joe was cheating—she found some suspicious e-mails. Trying to cope with grief is devastating enough without the constant fear that has overtaken her—this feeling she can’t shake that someone is watching her. And with Joe gone and the kids grown, she’s vulnerable . . . and on her own.
Insurance investigator Maggie Devlin is suspicious of the latest claim that’s landed on her desk—a man dying on an icy road shortly after buying a lucrative life insurance policy. Maggie doesn’t believe in coincidences. The former cop knows that things—and people—are never what they seem to be.
As the fates of these three women become more tightly entwined, layers of lies and deception begin to peel away, pushing them dangerously to the edge . . . closer to each other . . . to a terrifying truth . . . to a shocking end.

Strong start to the year, though a few of them were re-reads.

1/100 - 1984 by George Orwell

I read this for the first time as a high schooler and haven't picked it up again in many years, though it is on my "keeper" shelf. Current events and a couple of projects I'm working on right now inspired me to take another look, and it is a very different read through adult eyes. I don't know what to say without crossing certain DIS lines - it is hard to share thoughts on a book like this without veering into politics - but it is a classic for a reason and I am very glad I decided to re-read it. (If anyone is interested in the uncensored review, I've started a blog where I'm incorporating my reading journal among other things. You can find my here: https://cailin2017.wordpress.com/)

2-3-4/100 - Pines, Wayward, The Last Town by Blake Crouch

Only the third in the series is a new read, but I started watching the TV adaptation while waiting for my library to get The Last Town and when I started it I realized that I had the book and TV versions all mixed up in my mind so I re-read the first two before getting into the third. I like the books so much better than the show! Even the ending, which I've read a lot of negatives about and which did feel at first like a set up for a fourth title, fit with the overall tone and themes of the series. A conclusion with more closure wouldn't have felt believable.

BTW, I got all three of these via Kindle Unlimited. I just activated the free trial month on the 1st and I'm already through several titles. The selection is pretty good and at $10/mo I'm sure I'll keep it for a while as a paying subscriber. It really seems like a long-overdue service, a sort of Netflix for readers.

5/100 - What If: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe

This was exactly what it promises - scientific answers, sometimes almost painfully technical, to really stupid questions like "What would happen if a pitcher through a baseball at the speed of light?" Utter nonsense, written by a very smart, well-educated man turned internet cartoonist. It really wasn't my cup of tea - the whole time I was reading it, I was thinking "This is what would happen if my son ever decided to write a book". It wasn't that it was bad, exactly. It was just so so SO random with no overarching structure or real-world value that it didn't do anything for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter