Annual reading challenge 2017-come join us

Finished book #2/70 - The Forgetting Time by Sharon Guskin

This is a quick read about reincarnation. It does make you think what if. 3.5 stars

Noah wants to go home. A seemingly easy request from most four year olds. But as Noah's single-mother, Janie, knows, nothing with Noah is ever easy. One day the pre-school office calls and says Janie needs to come in to talk about Noah, and no, not later, now - and life as she knows it stops.
For Jerome Anderson, life as he knows it has stopped. A deadly diagnosis has made him realize he is approaching the end of his life. His first thought - I'm not finished yet. Once a shining young star in academia, a graduate of Yale and Harvard, a professor of psychology, he threw it all away because of an obsession. Anderson became the laughing stock of his peers, but he didn't care - something had to be going on beyond what anyone could see or comprehend. He spent his life searching for that something else. And with Noah, he thinks he's found it.
Soon Noah, Janie and Anderson will find themselves knocking on the door of a mother whose son has been missing for seven years - and when that door opens, all of their questions will be answered.

#1/60

The Devil You Know by Elisabeth de Mariaffi
The year is 1993. Rookie crime beat reporter Evie Jones is haunted by the unsolved murder of her best friend Lianne Gagnon who was killed in 1982, back when both girls were eleven. The suspected killer, a repeat offender named Robert Cameron, was never arrested, leaving Lianne’s case cold.

Now twenty-one and living alone for the first time, Evie is obsessively drawn to finding out what really happened to Lianne. She leans on another childhood friend, David Patton, for help—but every clue they uncover seems to lead to an unimaginable conclusion. As she gets closer and closer to the truth, Evie becomes convinced that the killer is still at large—and that he’s coming back for her.

This one was just ok for me. Kept waiting for something (anything) to happen. Author described everything to pieces, too much description, not enough action. Oh, and no quotation marks either. Wouldn't recommend....

Book 1 / 18

Entwined with You by Sylvia Day
The third chapter in the global blockbuster Crossfire® quintet. From the moment I first met Gideon Cross, I recognized something in him that I needed. Something I couldn't resist. I also saw the dangerous and damaged soul inside--so much like my own. I was drawn to it. I needed him as surely as I needed my heart to beat. No one knows how much he risked for me. How much I'd been threatened, or just how dark and desperate the shadow of our pasts would become. Entwined by our secrets, we tried to defy the odds. We made our own rules and surrendered completely to the exquisite power of possession...

I have finished two books in the first week so that puts me on pace for 104 for the year. 2/104. I have completed A Secret Encounter by J.E.B. Spredemann which is an Amish novel and A New Song by Jan Karon which is book three in her Mitford series of Christian fiction. This is an older series - A New Song published in 1999 but new to me. I am hoping to read the entire series but find I enjoy her books more if I read something different in between.

I think the last few years I've signed up for this and would set goals of 40+ but never finished due to other commitments. So this year I'm starting small 24, that would be 2 books a month. Of course I'd be pleased if I blew past that

Finished 2 books this week:
  1. Once Upon A Wager by Julie LeMense
  2. Not Quite Perfect by Catherine Bybee

So is there any book or book series anyone plans on finally getting to this year? For me it's the Dark Tower by Stephen King.

How does this game work? I want to join! Since I read nonstop pretty much.....

So is there any book or book series anyone plans on finally getting to this year? For me it's the Dark Tower by Stephen King.

I've been trying to add some King to my reading. Not sure if I'll get to Dark Tower this year, but eventually.

I'm working through the Private series by Patterson. I enjoy whoever ghost writes that series more than his other stuff. They're fast reads perfect for a weekend after a crazy week at work.

I'm in again this year. I actually met my goal last year. Not sure how much I'll get to read this year with a senior in high school and me back in school myself. I'll set my goal at 15 this year. Thanks for doing this!

The Dark Tower is one of my all time favorites. Thinking about re reading.

Would love to find a new series to start if anyone has suggestions.

#2/18
Captivated by You by Sylvia Day
The fourth chapter in the global blockbuster Crossfire® quintet. Gideon calls me his angel, but he’s the miracle in my life. My gorgeous, wounded warrior, so determined to slay my demons while refusing to face his own. The vows we’d exchanged should have bound us tighter than blood and flesh. Instead they opened old wounds, exposed pain and insecurities, and lured bitter enemies out of the shadows. I felt him slipping from my grasp, my greatest fears becoming my reality, my love tested in ways I wasn’t sure I was strong enough to bear. At the brightest time in our lives, the darkness of his past encroached and threatened everything we’d worked so hard for. We faced a terrible choice: the familiar safety of the lives we’d had before each other or the fight for a future that suddenly seemed an impossible and hopeless dream...

Finished this in one day, which is unprecedented for me. I usually take about 2 - 6 weeks to finish a book, which is why my goal is only 18.
Looking forward to getting the 5 (final) book in the series in a few weeks. Hopefully sooner but I get all my books from the library and I have to wait for a copy to become available.

I'm in! I am going to try to read fifty books this year - hopefully I'll make it!

#1/50 - The Bridge to Brilliance by Nadia Lopez
HIGHLY recommend this book - especially to anyone who is interested in education/works as an educator. It follows Nadia Lopez's journey as the Principal of a school in Brooklyn, NY and all of the triumphs, challenges, etc. that she and her students face. Really well-written and an empowering/inspiring read!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter