Another hard ticket event-Typhoon Lagoon

Well we go to Disney roughly every 3 years and so there is no way I would waste any of that time going to a water park anyways. I really don't understand the attraction of them.
I'm with you there.

While I've wanted to check out the theming of Disney's water parks, I have never gone because I'd rather be in the theme parks.

I'm from the Midwest where water parks (indoor) are pretty popular as a family "tourist" thing to do (Great Wolf Lodge, etc.), but my family never got into that, so it never carried over. Now that I live 10 minutes from a beach .. I understand it even less :).

Reactions: Iya
I'm with you there.

While I've wanted to check out the theming of Disney's water parks, I have never gone because I'd rather be in the theme parks.

I'm from the Midwest where water parks (indoor) are pretty popular as a family "tourist" thing to do (Great Wolf Lodge, etc.), but my family never got into that, so it never carried over. Now that I live 10 minutes from a beach .. I understand it even less :).
Well we are from Kansas City and when I offered my daughter a chance to go to Great Wolf Lodge with 3 friends for a weekend she replied with a loud NO and made a few comments about the Marines obviously having dropped me on my head a few to many times on jumps.

Well we go to Disney roughly every 3 years and so there is no way I would waste any of that time going to a water park anyways. I really don't understand the attraction of them.

If you aren't into water parks, then you wouldn't like them. But from your post, I'd guess you've never been, so it's hard for you to say. If you like water parks, the ones at WDW are fantastic. We have as much fun at them as we often do in the theme parks.

Cheap shot? If Disney isn't trying to separate us from our money, then exactly why are they in business? It's a fact.

If you can't see how saying "Trying to separate us from our money..." is a cheap shot, not sure what else to tell you.

I'd pay it, if we ever went at a time of year when we could count on warm enough nights to enjoy it. I love waterparks but burn too easily to really enjoy them in FL, especially during the summer, and the rashguard suit I wear to keep the sun off my shoulders at the beach or when kayaking isn't exactly comfortable on slides. A one-day ticket during the day has limited appeal; a one-day ticket for the evening, on the other hand, sounds like a great idea.

I'm hoping they extend this in to the last two weeks of August. I have 5 day single park tickets for our upcoming trip and I was just going to buy a single day admittance TL when we got down there. I would do this instead and save a few dollars.

As far as "not wasting time at a water park" goes....

Many in the US have limited vacation time and budgets, and since a WDW vacation is costly to begin with. Many trips are short and limited to getting the most out of park admission. This type of offering may not appeal to these type of guests.

That being said, some families and especially our friends from the UK have the opportunity to spend 2-3 weeks in Florida and the Orlando area. This longer trip length allows them to enjoy many offerings that others can't justify for time/cost reasons. They may find the night time water park offering appealing.

Also consider the climate in a good portion of the US, and the UK. In western NY, "pool weather" only lasts for a couple of months. Any chance to hang out in a water park is welcome!

I know, I'm a WDW apologist, but I don't understand the cheap shot mentality of OP "Another way to separate you from your money". Sigh... The water parks are already open about 9 hours per day during the summer. As others have said, 4 hours is usually plenty in a water park. We LOVE the water parks and rarely spend more than 4 hours there. While I admittedly wouldn't pay that kind of money, simply because I'm cheap, I see zero wrong with creating a special after hours event like this. I'm sure profit is built in, but they also have to pay CMs, run the equipment, etc...during these hours so it's not cheap for them to do.

If I hit the lottery, I'd be all in for this!

AGREE.

AND the park is normally closed ... so what if they open it after hours and collect some money. That is wonderful use of a venue, 2nd shift. Nobody is forcing anybody to go, spend any money they don't want to ... and it is not impeding on the normal operating day. Win-win!!

You can not separate people from optional money, it is fully their choice to go or not. Now if we are talking the electric bill or real estate taxes that are not optional, yes. But Disney is 1000% optional, and once there most of what is there is optional.

This sounds really fun!

My family loves water parks, and I've never been at night.

We generally do buy a one-day water park ticket if we go when it's warmer. I'm not usually a night-owl, but I would be very tempted to do this instead:

if the crowds are kept low
since I don't have to rope-drop the next morning with the new FP+ system
especially on arrival day, when we get to Orlando later anyway

I hope this goes at least to Labor Day...I was surprised at how much DD10 and I loved Typhoon Lagoon and we would love to see it at night! This would be a great way to spend the first night of our trip :)

If you can't see how saying "Trying to separate us from our money..." is a cheap shot, not sure what else to tell you.[/QUOTE

Seeing as how Disney is now charging for something that used to be free, they are “separating us from our money”, it’s just a fact, not a cheap shot. Though I don’t do water parks and this isn’t putting out other paying guests like many of Disney’s new upcharges are, so this doesn’t bother me much.

Seeing as how Disney is now charging for something that used to be free, they are “separating us from our money”, it’s just a fact, not a cheap shot. Though I don’t do water parks and this isn’t putting out other paying guests like many of Disney’s new upcharges are, so this doesn’t bother me much.

It used to be free? I don't ever remember the water parks being open late at night...ever. Nor were the water parks ever free. We've been going to them for about 15 years. What am I missing? Perhaps they used to be open really late at night and we just weren't aware? If not, then no, it's not something that used to be free. It's a new event.

Well, the "used to be free" in this case is sort of a reach in this argument considering they haven't had late EMH in the water parks for YEARS. It's not like just last year anyone was able to be at the water parks past 8 p.m. And I don't think they've ever been open until midnight.

As a FL resident I wonder what Disney will do for all the event nights rained out due to summer storms

The hours are from 8:00 p.m. to midnight. Isn't it rare for a summer storm to be that late? I thought they were usually in the late afternoon/early evening time frame.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter