Another personal appearance question

Boobs I don't need help with. Mine was more ridiculous stuff like having ears altered and a nose job. Everyone tells me I have a cute nose though. I do think I have Dopey ears. If I wear a cap or visor I tuck them then!
As for my hair, I went through a stage of using hair ties, headbands, bobby pins, mousse, hair spray, hair gel in varying combinations to make it look normal.
Personally I also will use epsom salt in my hair once a week to get rid of oily buildup. I use my regular shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash. The last think I do is use plain epsom salt and rub in hair, on face, body to bear buildup and dead skin. After shower I lotion up. I find it makes my hair healthier and softer but it might be different for others.

I've always been thin, so there's an upside, but boobs were just not something I was particularly blessed with...can't have it all.

I use a soothing/finishing spray and that works pretty well - it took me months to figure that out. I'm letting my bangs grow out completely for a while though. Is the varying combinations the key?

I started doing the epsom salt thing just this year, so its weird you mentioned it. I use the lavendar scented ones if I'm going on a date. Even if the date sucks, I smell awesome all night! I think it's made my skin softer for sure, and my hair is starting to look pretty again, but when I use up my plain salts, I'm only replacing them with the scented ones. Its such a clean, light smell, I love it. I've even hopped right in bed afterwards with clean sheets to get that smell in my sheets!

I had to have an abdominal hysterectomy, so I added in a tummy tuck at the same time. It cost less, since I was already in the OR and hospital, I just had to pay for the plastic surgeon. I'm so glad that I did, having that extra flap always bothered me and made me self conscious, and I never felt comfortable in most clothes that didn't totally cover it...

Last edited:
I quit wearing makeup in my mid forties. Haven't missed it at all. Quit coloring my hair at 60 and am completely grey now. I am always complimented on the 'shades of grey' my hair is, lol. I don't think I have ever had a manicure, I keep my fingernails very very short. I do love a pedicure tho as my feet can get pretty raunchy looking without it.

The young girls are dying their hair gray now, so you're totally en vogue!

none of that.
Dye my hair, wear makeup. Even when just at home.
Pluck my eyebrows, but less hair now, so they don't need it often.
Pedis before a big vacation. That is it.
Hope I look alright for my age.

Oh I do sand my feet and soak them to help get rid of calluses.

I've always been thin, so there's an upside, but boobs were just not something I was particularly blessed with...can't have it all.

I use a soothing/finishing spray and that works pretty well - it took me months to figure that out. I'm letting my bangs grow out completely for a while though. Is the varying combinations the key?

I started doing the epsom salt thing just this year, so its weird you mentioned it. I use the lavendar scented ones if I'm going on a date. Even if the date sucks, I smell awesome all night! I think it's made my skin softer for sure, and my hair is starting to look pretty again, but when I use up my plain salts, I'm only replacing them with the scented ones. Its such a clean, light smell, I love it. I've even hopped right in bed afterwards with clean sheets to get that smell in my sheets!

My hair has been all one length with very small layers since 5th grade. The "fallout" was when I was 28. As a teacher it's easier for me to put my hair in a ponytail or bun for work and those little flyaway tickling my face would drive me insane. I always kept some spare hair stuff at work just in case. We can't control our AC so if it was stuffy, hair would frizz and need extra help. One day I may have hair up with just a couple hair ties to make a bun and it would stay all day. Other times I'd need that AND a hairband AND some gel. Now I also like to use dry shampoo first and find it gives me a little more texture to hold it all together. It's not sticky and hair doesn't feel weird or anything, but to me it makes my hair hold together like Velcro if that makes sense

I've technically had plastic surgery twice, and get Botox for migraines, but I got to keep all my wrinkles from that. The plastic surgery was to reattach the elevator muscle in my left eyelid, because my eyelid was drooping past my pupil. The 4 ophthalmologist and 2 plastic surgeons still aren't sure why it happened, but I had to have the surgery at 27 and again at 31. They fixed the droop but my eyelid retained fluid so it's puffy and I hate it. I guess I'm just special. But I'm 42 and got carded twice in a week, so that's nice.

Thinking about the "do you look older/younger" thread.

How many of you get regular botox, fillers, wear extensions, have had plastic surgery? Anyone brave enough to admit what they do?

I'll go out there and say I've been getting botox for about a decade. I did fillers once, and that was too expensive/hurt too much for me to do regularly.

Probably a ridiculous question, but what are fillers?

I've done extensions, fake nails, I regularly get waxed just about everywhere and dye my hair. The hair is total vanity. I feel really old when my white streaks are showing. My mother hates that I dye my hair, but it helps with my morale, especially in the winter when I feel down. The extensions were just for fun and not something I'd do again. Nails because my natural ones break really easily, so I do it very occasionally for special events.

I don't need any of the above and actually as a teen I thought it was silly. But it makes me feel good. Love getting my hair done and going to the spa.

I've had people tell me that waxing is a rip off but I've noticed that those ladies never have copious dark hair :rotfl:my baby sister's nickname for me is Bigfoot, that brat.

I would consider Botox but to be perfectly honest, it sounds like a lot of hassle for something that could go wrong. Same with breast augmentation, which I would totally do if going under didn't freak me out quite so much. (I don't want larger breasts. I want smaller breasts lol) imagine the luxury of being able to go braless, not needing serious underwire. Freedom I tell you freeeeeedom.

I tried fillers once in my early 30s...hated it. It looked lumpy! I do hi-lite my hair, tweeze my brows and get pedicures occasionally in the summer time. I love the way fake nails look, but I hate actually having them - too much maintenance for me. I've tried 3x and always end up picking them off, so never again. Instead I keep my natural nails short and buffed.

If money were no object, I'd get a breast reduction (I tried via my insurance but they won't cover it), get the bags under my eyes removed and do Botox. But with 2 kids in college, it's just not gonna happen!

Last edited:
Probably a ridiculous question, but what are fillers?

I've done extensions, fake nails, I regularly get waxed just about everywhere and dye my hair. The hair is total vanity. I feel really old when my white streaks are showing. My mother hates that I dye my hair, but it helps with my morale, especially in the winter when I feel down. The extensions were just for fun and not something I'd do again. Nails because my natural ones break really easily, so I do it very occasionally for special events.

I don't need any of the above and actually as a teen I thought it was silly. But it makes me feel good. Love getting my hair done and going to the spa.

I've had people tell me that waxing is a rip off but I've noticed that those ladies never have copious dark hair :rotfl:my baby sister's nickname for me is Bigfoot, that brat.

I would consider Botox but to be perfectly honest, it sounds like a lot of hassle for something that could go wrong. Same with breast augmentation, which I would totally do if going under didn't freak me out quite so much. (I don't want larger breasts. I want smaller breasts lol) imagine the luxury of being able to go braless, not needing serious underwire. Freedom I tell you freeeeeedom.

Fillers are what people often call botox - botox is only for another the eyes (crows feet) and forehead. Fillers are things like restalin, juvaderm - the stuff they put in your face to fill in frown lines or into lips to pulp them. Botox doesn't last as long as fillers, but actually has a lot less issues than fillers - the celebs that look like they have a melting face have overdone it on fillers, not botox. Also, fillers HURT, bigger needle, and even with the topical numbing cream, it was beyond my vanity point! Botox is fast, they don't even numb you, not very spendy and really doesn't hurt.

I've had some hair removal, when I was in the hospital, I was very glad for it. Due to my eyebrow scar I now fuss with my eyebrows much more than I did before I got hurt. They fixed my eye socket, and I have to tell people that I hit my head they did such a great job, as long as my dingdang brow doesn't give me away. I feel better spending the time to make them look normal.

I totally get the look good/feel good thing.

Yeah, I won't get boobs, but some days I think about it. Then I realize I'm in a sundress with built in cups, no bra, and I shake my head and remember I'm good.

I get my hair coloured every five or six weeks. I love the colour - medium blonde, not too light, and it covers the grey I'm sure is under there. Wonder when I should stop this (I'm 67), but that's another thread. It's expensive. I wear makeup when going out. Wouldn't go out without it. I get occasional pedicures. I'd love to get rid of my excess weight, but that's also another thread also.

I have a friend who had the best plastic surgery for her, and I thought it did her a world of good. She had one of those large double chins that was VERY large. I don't know if there is a name for it. She was overweight but this was a feature that ran in her family. She had a type of liposuction and something else in that area - no real incisions or cuts. It just removed all that fat and tightened things up. She had it done 15 years ago and she still looks good.

I get my hair coloured every five or six weeks. I love the colour - medium blonde, not too light, and it covers the grey I'm sure is under there. Wonder when I should stop this (I'm 67), but that's another thread. It's expensive. I wear makeup when going out. Wouldn't go out without it. I get occasional pedicures. I'd love to get rid of my excess weight, but that's also another thread also.

I have a friend who had the best plastic surgery for her, and I thought it did her a world of good. She had one of those large double chins that was VERY large. I don't know if there is a name for it. She was overweight but this was a feature that ran in her family. She had a type of liposuction and something else in that area - no real incisions or cuts. It just removed all that fat and tightened things up. She had it done 15 years ago and she still looks good.

I don't think there's an age you should stop coloring your hair. Stop coloring it when you feel like you can rock that gray. For one grandma, she had red, 1950s cut until her death at 88. It worked for her. My streaks are actually a pretty white, and I feel if it was solid that way, I wouldn't dye it. I don't like the mix look and that's something that I'll probably have until my 70s of genetics play out like I expect.

You're right, though, it is expensive. But good hair cuts are expensive period. If I go to the mall salon, I walk out loooking like a cranky sheep:rotfl2:

Fillers are what people often call botox - botox is only for another the eyes (crows feet) and forehead. Fillers are things like restalin, juvaderm - the stuff they put in your face to fill in frown lines or into lips to pulp them. Botox doesn't last as long as fillers, but actually has a lot less issues than fillers - the celebs that look like they have a melting face have overdone it on fillers, not botox. Also, fillers HURT, bigger needle, and even with the topical numbing cream, it was beyond my vanity point! Botox is fast, they don't even numb you, not very spendy and really doesn't hurt.

I've had some hair removal, when I was in the hospital, I was very glad for it. Due to my eyebrow scar I now fuss with my eyebrows much more than I did before I got hurt. They fixed my eye socket, and I have to tell people that I hit my head they did such a great job, as long as my dingdang brow doesn't give me away. I feel better spending the time to make them look normal.

I totally get the look good/feel good thing.

Yeah, I won't get boobs, but some days I think about it. Then I realize I'm in a sundress with built in cups, no bra, and I shake my head and remember I'm good.

Ugh. Fillers do sound painful. I think that would bug me too much. Also don't need them- but I've had lines in my forehead for years, just habitual squiring from nearsightedness.

So jealous over the sundress. That's exactly why I would get breast reduction. Strapless bras are So not Fun.

About all I do is highlight and color my hair. I don't think I'll ever stop. I can see that the gray that I am getting is not going to be a pretty one. I don't need to be an older woman who looks like she has a steel wool growing out of her head. I find that the gray hairs also don't seem to "style" like the other hair but highlights and color definitely help with the texture.

I wouldn't mind trying botox but I'm too scared. I have extremely sensitive skin and am sensitive to everything. I can't even use most facial moisturizers. I can only imagine what injecting something into my skin might do.

I highlight my hair. I don't have gray yet (thanks, Dad!) but as I age the hair gets darker and it's an ugly mousy brown.

I have Botox on the 11 in my forehead. I looked angry all the time, so I went for it. Very glad I did. :thumbsup2

Only time I get mani/pedi is before a vacation. But I do take care of them at home. My toes always have color on them. Finger nails have nail strengther, so I have a clear gloss. (Btw, if you have soft nails I highly recommend Mavala and Nailtiques.) They really work! I don't like super long nails, but I now have nails that go past the quick.

I thought about a boob job in my 20's. Then I got pregnant in my 30's and thanked my lucky stars I never had the money/guts to get them done. I did not enjoy larger ta-ta's. :sad2: Granted, I had "working" ones that weren't exactly pretty ;), but the sweat that happens under them was the worst! No thanks. If I need a little cleavage, I just use the silicone chicken cutlets. :)

I haven't done any of that. I'm 34 and have pretty good skin. So does my mom so I'm hoping I get that gene. I always moisturize and don't wear much makeup but I wear the good stuff.

I get a mani/pedi, hair highlights (no gray I just like to do different things) and trims regularly. I'm hairy so my eyebrows and lip waxed every two weeks or I look like Ernie from Sesame Street. I also do a Brazilian wax every four weeks.

I have thought about getting a boob lift and tummy tuck. Two kids have wrecked havoc on that. It's a very real possibility since I work at a hospital and I get a very nice discount through our plastics department.

I've had plastic surgery(necessary but voluntary), I wear make up often, get my hair done when needed, and do my own mani/pedis regularly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter