Anyone Cancelling?

Right now, the plan is to go. We aren't too concerned about the changes. Me and my wife were discussing how it will be different, but then we realized that WDW has been 'different' for a few years now. WDW is always changing....sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. I don't think we will ever capture that feeling that we had on our first trip, and that is OK. We are keeping an eye on the trends of the virus and how re-opening affects that, but if all goes well, then we are going at the end of August.

Right now, the plan is to go. We aren't too concerned about the changes. Me and my wife were discussing how it will be different, but then we realized that WDW has been 'different' for a few years now. WDW is always changing....sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. I don't think we will ever capture that feeling that we had on our first trip, and that is OK. We are keeping an eye on the trends of the virus and how re-opening affects that, but if all goes well, then we are going at the end of August.
No kids yet?

Does anyone else think like me, that this is exactly what Disney's goal is, for people to stay away. They could be concerned about large crowds and their ability to handle them safely. They will do the best they can until Sept 2021 and hopfully will be able to start the 50th Anniversary Oct 1 and run it through 2022. My family wants to go back November 2021 but I'm thinking maybe we should wait until 2022.

They're in the business of making money, so they're doing this more for their bottom line than for crowd control I think. But they're botching it badly and it looks like UO is about to grad way more market share...they better be careful, with UO's Epic Universe on the Horizon and their aggressive expansion of resorts, taking a page from the Disney playbook, Disney is going to have to figure out how to recover from this and add more to their experience in the next 2 years. Customers aren't going to pay 2x more anymore for an experience that is very much the same as a competitor if that competitor catches up on offerings.

I will be canceling our recovery FD trip in September. Without FD I am not going to torture myself with the equatorial heat and hurricane season. I will reschedule for later with the 35% room discount.

We're going after Thanksgiving and since we rented points for our stay we are somewhat stuck with our trip. I can't see being able to get out at this point. What I feel for is the friends we are going with. One of the BIG things they are wanting is for their youngest girl ( 7 yrs old) to get the BBB experience and right now that is not available. I just don't understand. Everyone has to wear a mask so why are certain things being taken away? Just seems like Disney is taking the easy way out and just canceling activities rather than working to find a balance that works. We are hoping that it will be open for our trip and now that ADRs are only 60 days out we can't even attempt to book until late Sept anyway.

If everyone has to wear a mask open it all up!!!

Does anyone else think like me, that this is exactly what Disney's goal is, for people to stay away. They could be concerned about large crowds and their ability to handle them safely. They will do the best they can until Sept 2021 and hopfully will be able to start the 50th Anniversary Oct 1 and run it through 2022. My family wants to go back November 2021 but I'm thinking maybe we should wait until 2022.

My wife and I were just having this discussion over breakfast. I honestly believe they want people to cancel at this point for crowd control purposes.

I can assure you, there is not one single negative comment I've made that I enjoyed. That's really, really insulting to those of us who have been sitting here since March, believing Disney would do the right thing, changing reservations, changing vacation time, trying to adjust flights, accepting paying more because they refused *and are still refusing* to honor previously booked discounts, dealing with disappointed children and rolling with every punch only to find out that Disney knew for a long time what their intent was, but wanted our money enough they were willing to be deceptive about it and keep people hanging on.

What you call naysayers, I call realistic. The day I have to "stick a smile" on my face to go to WDW, instead of that smile coming naturally and coming because it's such an amazing experience, is the day I don't go.
Totally agree and look at Shanghai... We're not all just guessing...we're using actual facts and past experience (I know what they do to compensate for lower attendance; I've seen it with my own eyes.) We're not naysayers, we're just not living in lala land and being a servant of an increasingly greedy company. If you want to live ignorantly in bliss that's on you...but others well we prefer realistic facts.

We have a trip planned for beginning of December but I am 99% sure we will cancel. It just seems like it will be a hassle with masks and the value isn't here for us with everything getting cancelled. It didn't help that they cancelled the dining plan as we use credit card points from our business credit card to pay for our trips. Now we will have to pay for food OOP.

For those canceling, I was able to cancel my reservation on-line yesterday under My Disney Experience. I got the email confirmations almost right away. No need to wait on hold.
If you did a bounceback or military discount etc. you can't cancel or modify online unfortunately.

I guess yesterdays news takes our cancel chances from 99 to100. We will be cancelling as soon as we can get through on the phone lines. Losing our free dining bounce back was really the last straw.
Was on hold for 40 mins and cancelled - (July 14-28)
Was bittersweet but at the same time felt a sense of relief
not the way I want to remember a trip
got full refund for park tickets. Was really glad about that.

We have a late September free dining stay booked at Pop because our May trip was canceled. Unless I'm somehow able to keep the free QSDP we're canceling. A 35% room discount at Pop comes nowhere close to the cost of a dining plan. I'm willing to wait just a bit to see if Disney backtracks due to bad publicity, but, as the others have said, I think at this point they want people to cancel. I was more than willing to "roll with the punches" for this trip because FD made it a deal and we really wanted to get to Galaxy's Edge but it's not worth it without free dining.

My wife and I were just having this discussion over breakfast. I honestly believe they want people to cancel at this point for crowd control purposes.

I'm wondering the same thing. We have an August reservation that we're 99% sure we're going to cancel but I'm holding off for now. I think they're waiting to see how many people jump ship on their own with all the negative news, then they'll see what the numbers look like. It's always better for them if they let folks cancel on their own rather than canceling someone's trip for them. I'm waiting to see if they offer incentives for people to re-book later to get the numbers down a bit for the first few weeks of re-opening.

Cm I spoke with this morning said they are getting ton of cancellations (and she didn't blame me at all)

Someone in another thread hinted that Disney may be trying to make going to WDW so miserable to start with that people cancel their trips on their own. Obviously they are succeeding based on your anecdotal response from the CM you spoke to when you cancelled your trip.

I would think it would be hard to be a "happy" CM right now as there really isn't much to be happy about. I would NOT want to be working reservations as a CM at the moment, it's not their decision to ruin so many people's vacations but I'm sure they are getting an earful from angry customers sadly.

Someone in another thread hinted that Disney may be trying to make going to WDW so miserable to start with that people cancel their trips on their own. Obviously they are succeeding based on your anecdotal response from the CM you spoke to when you cancelled your trip.

I would think it would be hard to be a "happy" CM right now as there really isn't much to be happy about. I would NOT want to be working reservations as a CM at the moment, it's not their decision to ruin so many people's vacations but I'm sure they are getting an earful from angry customers sadly.

she was.so.sweet, but obviously down - could tell as soon as she answered - very depressed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter