Anyone have a goldendoodle?

I have an 8 year old Std Poodle. I get tired of Goldendoodle owners saying they want the temperament of aGolden Retreiver, but want a Poodle’s coat! Decide for yourself what is more important and go with that. Std Poodles are so much fun I don’t know why you would want to crossbred them in the first place!

TC :cool1:

My brother has three goldendoodles and they are by far three of the sweetest, most intelligent dogs in our family. Saying that only cross bred dogs have personality issues and are from puppy mill breeders and only pure bred dogs will have good personalities makes no sense. Puppy mills breed crosses and pure breeds and there is just as much greed in regular breeders as ones who breed crosses.

My brother has three goldendoodles and they are by far three of the sweetest, most intelligent dogs in our family. Saying that only cross bred dogs have personality issues and are from puppy mill breeders and only pure bred dogs will have good personalities makes no sense. Puppy mills breed crosses and pure breeds and there is just as much greed in regular breeders as ones who breed crosses.
Puppy mills, backyard pure bred breeders and backyard mixed breed breeders (including golden doodles) are not responsible breeders. BTW, my “mini jack” is the best dog ever, but a mix and a rescue.

Puppy mills, backyard pure bred breeders and backyard mixed breed breeders (including golden doodles) are not responsible breeders. BTW, my “mini jack” is the best dog ever, but a mix and a rescue.

Aside from puppy mills, I'm not willing to make blanket statements about who is and isn't a responsible breeder.

Good thing I didn't read this a few years ago lol. We have a goldendoodle who is almost 3 years old now - by far the best dog we've ever owned. Sweet, loves people, loves other dogs. She does have some slight seperation anxiety - it was an issue for the first month or so but with training itsnot a big deal. She took to training very well and we are very happy to have her.

I absolutely think that goldendoodles are a great mellow breed. I have been around 4 from 4 different families and all were/are fabulous. They are ideal for service dogs as well. I am active in the epilepsy community and goldendoodles are one breed that most gravitate to BECAUSE of their temperament. My grandson has one for his seizures. I would not hesitate in the least to get one. They are amazing.

Editing to say that this is an older thread that I already posted on. Anyway, I still feel the same as I did when it was first posted. Goldendoodles are wonderful.

Last edited:
They do not seem on the retriever side at least the one I know.
Aside from that good dog.
His is not small. When I think poodle I think smaller but his is big.
Dog was a little aggressive as a pup but grew out of it from what I can tell.
He really does not have the retrievers need to retrieve, which I love.

know someone who owns a cockadoodledoo. Drives him crazy at first light. Very strange bark.

I would insist on seeing and meeting the puppers parents. I know someone who had a Labradoodle that was beyond crazy, According to animal control in that area, there was a breeder they suspected was making some cray cray dogs. Dogs that were growing up and attacking people, like literally banging their heads on the glass door to go kill the cable guy kind of crazy. I knew one of the dogs, and he was lovable if he knew you, but anyone outside family would be dog chow.

I absolutely think that goldendoodles are a great mellow breed. I have been around 4 from 4 different families and all were/are fabulous. They are ideal for service dogs as well. I am active in the epilepsy community and goldendoodles are one breed that most gravitate to BECAUSE of their temperament. My grandson has one for his seizures. I would not hesitate in the least to get one. They are amazing.

Editing to say that this is an older thread that I already posted on. Anyway, I still feel the same as I did when it was first posted. Goldendoodles are wonderful.
Goldendoodles are not a breed-they are a mixed breed-purebred dogs have a standard they are expected to adhere too-there is nothing of the sort with doodles. As someone who is very active in all kinds of dog sports I have seen doodles that were amazing and some that were horrors with terrible temperaments and basically out of control.. You are blessed that you have gotten 4 that are successful. everyone is not so lucky.

They do not seem on the retriever side at least the one I know.
Aside from that good dog.
His is not small. When I think poodle I think smaller but his is big.
Dog was a little aggressive as a pup but grew out of it from what I can tell.
He really does not have the retrievers need to retrieve, which I love.
Standard poodles are big dogs.

Goldendoodles are not a breed-they are a mixed breed-purebred dogs have a standard they are expected to adhere too-there is nothing of the sort with doodles. As someone who is very active in all kinds of dog sports I have seen doodles that were amazing and some that were horrors with terrible temperaments and basically out of control.. You are blessed that you have gotten 4 that are successful. everyone is not so lucky.
Btw I've also seen purebred dogs that were horrors. There are just as many purebreds that have temperament issues.

My MIL loves them... I don't trust them.

One of my MIL's goldendoodles was so energetic we thought he'd be the trouble with DD. But nope, the quiet goldendoodle #2 was the nasty one - she'd sneak up into DD's personal space and make her fall down. The first dog was sweet as pie and tried to stop his sister from her tactics.

Thank you. I used the wrong term. I will argue the fact that I only know 4 successes. The four I know are close friends and family. I stated earlier that golden doodles are highly represented and sought after in the epilepsy service dog community. You will find horrible temperaments in ALL breeds, mixed or not just like you see in humans.

I have an 8 year old Std Poodle. I get tired of Goldendoodle owners saying they want the temperament of aGolden Retreiver, but want a Poodle’s coat! Decide for yourself what is more important and go with that. Std Poodles are so much fun I don’t know why you would want to crossbred them in the first place!

TC :cool1:
I always find these discussions interesting to read, poodles have this stigma associated with them when they really are fantastic dogs OP have you considered a poodle?

I always find these discussions interesting to read, poodles have this stigma associated with them when they really are fantastic dogs OP have you considered a poodle?

I'm wondering the same thing -- why the hate for the poodle?! I have a standard poodle. He's a rescue, but he's full poodle (he was an owner surrender and they turned over his papers too). He's a super sweet dog, quick learning, eager to please. People always ask "ooh, is he a doodle?" Um, no... he's a poodle. And he's awesome. For what it's worth, you don't have to trim poodles into the frou-frou dog show haircuts. We keep ours in something between a sporting clip and a kennel clip. Much more low-maintenance.

For what it's worth, my DH wasn't really sold on getting a poodle. He likes "manly dogs" like retrievers and setters. (We also have a Lab. The rescue told us that she's full-Lab -- bred by an Amish breeder who planned to kill the litter when it didn't sell. They agreed to turn the litter over to rescue, but refused to give the papers. Our Lab does NOT have a good temperment. She's always trying to get away with something and is food aggressive. She does pretty well with me, but we've never been able to let the kids feed her, etc -- and they're teens now. I still don't trust her with them if there's food involved. You hear about Labs being so docile. Ours is NOT.)

I grew up with poodles and I convinced him to at least meet this one when I saw it available for rescue. We've had him for 5 years now, and DH is a poodle convert... as long as I agree not to get it a "silly haircut."

Last edited:
I'm wondering the same thing -- why the hate for the poodle?! I have a standard poodle. He's a rescue, but he's full poodle (he was an owner surrender and they turned over his papers too). He's a super sweet dog, quick learning, eager to please. People always ask "ooh, is he a doodle?" Um, no... he's a poodle. And he's awesome. For what it's worth, you don't have to trim poodles into the frou-frou dog show haircuts. We keep ours in something between a sporting clip and a kennel clip. Much more low-maintenance.

For what it's worth, my DH wasn't really sold on getting a poodle. He likes "manly dogs" like retrievers and setters. (We also have a Lab. The rescue told us that she's full-Lab -- bred by an Amish breeder who planned to kill the litter when it didn't sell. They agreed to turn the litter over to rescue, but refused to give the papers. Our Lab does NOT have a good temperment. She's always trying to get away with something and is food aggressive. She does pretty well with me, but we've never been able to let the kids feed her, etc -- and they're teens now. I still don't trust her with them if there's food involved. You hear about Labs being so docile. Ours is NOT.)

I grew up with poodles and I convinced him to at least meet this one when I saw it available for rescue. We've had him for 5 years now, and DH is a poodle convert... as long as I agree not to get it a "silly haircut."
I think its the silly haircut. I honestly think that is the issue people have. lol I would rather have a regular poodle or a regular golden retriever than a mix after what I have seen. Luckily for me though, I have the perfect dog. A little Boston Terrier is my speed.

I've been training dogs for about 10 years now professionally and have worked with almost every breed of dog and easily over 100 "doodles". Goldendoodles are one of the few breeds you couldn't pay me to get. Their temperament is INCREDIBLY unpredictable and of the major bite incidents I've had to deal with (8, and I consider a major bite incident to be one that involves medical professionals in the care of the wound), 3 of them have been by "Goldendoodles". I've even had to go to court as witness over one incident where the dog bit a child walking past it. Because of the crossing of the breeds, you can't make any sort of prediction of temperament and there is not enough of a history in the so called "breedlines" to know what you could get. They're a popular breed and people are churning them out like rabbits because they're making a fortune off of them. Often people breeding goldendoodles aren't paying as much attention as they would if they were breeding a purebred dog because there's no governing body over them. Eg where I live, you will be kicked out of the kennel club if you cross breed dogs purposely as people are doing with the golden and poodle crosses because of how dangerous and deceitful it is. And you can't make predictions on temperament when crossing breeds, or even looks, it's genetics that you just can't properly account for. You couldn't pay me to get one, the vets that I work with have said the same, and I talk anyone I know who's thinking about it out of getting one. They're not worth the risk.

Just my opinion.

Goldendoodles are not a breed. They're a cross bread mix. And most of them are still cross breeds between the two breeds rather than two goldendoodles. But the fact is, a baby is still the product of its parents and there is a chance bad traits come from the parents no matter what they are bread with. And when one selectively breeds that chance over the years ends up greater whether in the breed or cross.

As for the "kennel club" well they can thumb their noses and yammer on all they want about cross breading. But it's nothing but deflection because the real problem is selective breeding in the first place. And the kennel club, with their breed standards and pedigree registry has over the years done much more to encourage selective breeding than anyone else. And what's worse is they have encouraged selectively breeding based mainly on looks to make it look pretty, whatever else that may cause in the breed be darned. So they're not just a part of the problem. They are the major part of the problem. What the kennel club has sanctioned over the years makes the Tennessee Walking Horse folks look like saints.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter