Are You...

As others have stated, I think your opinion has a lot to do with your own personal circumstance. In my immediate family 3 out of 5 have pre-existing conditions, and 4 out of the 5 of us are over 55. We'll be staying in until it's safe, so masks aren't really an issue. We do have them though for if we HAVE to go out. (A little protection is better than none.) I only hope those that refuse to wear them have the decency to avoid contact with family members who are at risk.

Our county was approved for phase 2 so my business is finally open. We are all required to wear a mask if coming within 6 feet of each other. My building is large enough that no one needs to wear a mask. It is voluntary.

We’ve done curbside pickup for groceries. I now feel comfortable enough to shop inside with an N95 mask. I probably wouldn’t do it if I only had a fabric mask because people generally can’t be trusted to stay 6 feet away and masks aren’t required in my area. I would say less than 25% of the people are wearing masks inside. It’s mostly the elderly.

We can get together with 5 non-household people so DD16 is being allowed to hang out with her friends. That makes me a little nervous but I’m not going to continue to keep her locked in. She went to Target twice yesterday. She wears a mask. I know she craves being out.

Before covid, we rarely did take out or fast food and that won’t change.

I’ll have to look if gyms opened in phase 2. If they did, that’s the one place I won’t be going back to. We talked about buying a spin bike yesterday to add to our exercise equipment so we can vary our workouts at home.

A question for those who say they won't go out - do you work? Or more specifically, do you work away from home? I've spent the last three weeks up close and personal with kids at work. Not safe for a 1 -2 year old to wear a mask even if they would, so I get coughed on, sneezed on, slobbered on. Going out to a restaurant doesn't seem like a risk after that, but I might feel differently if I had the option of working from home.

Although not ideal, I am able to work from home. I’ve had a couple of business trips canceled, and several projects have had their deadlines extended. We've had too many meetings on Microsoft Teams that last longer than they should I think mostly because people just want to talk to the folks outside of their own house.

Ready to go once things open in your area or being more (maybe even overly) cautious?

Me...I'm in the overly cautious group. I have been shopping only once every other week. I will get take out once per week (or less). Stores & restaurants have just gotten the okay to open but I won't dinning in for a while. I do need a new clothes washer, so I will be making a trip to Home Depot tomorrow or Monday.

edited because I think I forgot how to write sentences.
Rarin' to go! :tigger:

I'm cautious. I'm in Michigan and we got hit very hard, so a lot of stores are requiring masks and people are complying with that.

Nothing has really changed in the past few months, there's still no treatment and no cure, so if you get it, there's still nothing much you can do except cross your fingers and really hope you're not one of the people who ends up on a ventilator. And there's no way to know how your body will react until you get it, so I'm not taking chances.

2 restaurants (same owner) were already shut down where I live. Less than 1 week into phase 1 they had to close up because the staff came down with covid.

However, we did go 48 hours without new deaths, hospitalizations down, vent use down. All good signs.

I tried to go to Trader Joe's on Friday and the line to get in was absurd, so I left. Have not been inside of any store for a month.

I registered my daughter for summer swim session and the first lesson is June 5th. We SHOULD be in phase 2 by then. I really hope we are, because she needs to get back to the pool. Classes are small there and I trust them.

Our Girl Scout troop leader wants to have the troop get together in mid June. I'm waiting and hoping things are looking better by then.

As others have stated, I think your opinion has a lot to do with your own personal circumstance. In my immediate family 3 out of 5 have pre-existing conditions, and 4 out of the 5 of us are over 55. We'll be staying in until it's safe, so masks aren't really an issue. We do have them though for if we HAVE to go out. (A little protection is better than none.) I only hope those that refuse to wear them have the decency to avoid contact with family members who are at risk.
You know they aren't going to do that. That's why you're rightfully staying home.

We're in the cautious group. We still mostly stay home, do WalMart in car grocery pickup (and also Home Depot and Target, same way), attend church online. In the last couple of weeks we have started picking up Starbucks at the drive through, and we got dinner delivered once.

We go for walks in the neighborhood, and we still cross the street when we meet people coming from the other direction, just to be as cautious as we can be. Nobody ever seems offended by that, and we always exchange hellos and smiles while we do it.

We do wear our masks whenever we interact with people at drive-throughs or doing pickups. We know that the masks aren't to protect us but rather to protect others from us.

I read a study that said if 80% of us wore masks every time we're in public, then we would halt the spread of the virus completely. I just can't get that out of my head, so we wear our masks.

One thing I have learned during these times is how little I actually need from Target, Costco, etc. I have saved a ton of money by staying out of malls. I can easily paint my own nails, and we buy all food products from one place-the grocery store. I have learned that my own home-cooked food tastes better than most restaurants and without dealing with underwhelming service. After seeing the hordes of people out and about this weekend, I will stay cautious and continue to stay home. I will need to do regular dental work this summer and a few medical things.

On the mask front it is a bit funny in a serious and yet not serious way to see sometimes how things are portrayed. So local news has been covering Lake of the Ozarks coverage as Memorial Day weekend is basically the start of the season. Anywho they showed a video of the pools (which over the last few years a lot of businesses started building pools on their grounds so people can eat,drink, swim and enjoy watching boats go by) which were packed. The pools being packed were a problem. What I found funny was the pointing out of people not wearing masks...in a pool..... You're intended to wear one when you are unable to social distance but the effect of a wet mask would end up negating that (which is why it makes sense that many pools are still closed especially as they congrate people). Even the theme parks are saying we won't have you wear a mask on water rides. Once your mask is 'soiled' you are supposed to switch to a new mask. I just found it another way to say tsk tsk on the mask front even though logically it wouldn't be the thing to do to wear a mask while in the water surrounded by water.

That same news site also did a story about our metro going into 5 of the major counties 10 stores in each and found throughout mask wearing was 50/50 in terms of patrons. But again the way things were phrased..they said a "pregnant woman clutching her stomach" and a "mother wearing a mask with a young child who spit on the ground in the parking lot". Yeah spitting is gross but yeah..it made me think of the "pearl clutching" phrase.

On the mask front it is a bit funny in a serious and yet not serious way to see sometimes how things are portrayed. So local news has been covering Lake of the Ozarks coverage as Memorial Day weekend is basically the start of the season. Anywho they showed a video of the pools (which over the last few years a lot of businesses started building pools on their grounds so people can eat,drink, swim and enjoy watching boats go by) which were packed. The pools being packed were a problem. What I found funny was the pointing out of people not wearing masks...in a pool..... You're intended to wear one when you are unable to social distance but the effect of a wet mask would end up negating that (which is why it makes sense that many pools are still closed especially as they congrate people). Even the theme parks are saying we won't have you wear a mask on water rides. Once your mask is 'soiled' you are supposed to switch to a new mask. I just found it another way to say tsk tsk on the mask front even though logically it wouldn't be the thing to do to wear a mask while in the water surrounded by water.

That same news site also did a story about our metro going into 5 of the major counties 10 stores in each and found throughout mask wearing was 50/50 in terms of patrons. But again the way things were phrased..they said a "pregnant woman clutching her stomach" and a "mother wearing a mask with a young child who spit on the ground in the parking lot". Yeah spitting is gross but yeah..it made me think of the "pearl clutching" phrase.

Yeah, but the people I saw in those pics weren't swimming, they were drinking and having conversations.

Yeah, but the people I saw in those pics weren't swimming, they were drinking and having conversations.
And.....? It still wouldn't matter. If you're in the pool you have an extremely high chance of getting it wet which makes the mask (already fairly ineffective but at least something) even less effective. Are you silent when you're on Splash Mountain not talking to anyone while on the ride? Have you been paying attention to all the discussion around if you're mask gets soiled here's how to remove it and switch to a new one, after eating you should be switching to a new mask, after wearing a mask out and about you should be switching to a new one/laundering the mask.

A mask just doesn't make sense in that scenario. What does make sense is not having the pool open to begin with. But it's the lake, if you're out bobbing around in the lake wearing a mask is just not the way to go.

I mean all power to you if you would wear one if it makes you feel better to do so.

As far as ready well so far we have not been within 6 ft of anyone I personally know but my husband and I. For my husband he's more ready than I am on that front. I do think as places are opening up more outdoors (especially the parking lots and spaces that was given the go ahead in certain areas in my area) I'll be more ready to go there for dine in. In terms of dine-in inside today this very moment not yet ready but I'm getting there. We're about to go to a park with mother-in-law, step-father-in-law and one of the sister-in-laws to just hang out. We'll be doing the normal thing keeping well apart from each other but I do feel like soon enough we'll be rejoining each other just don't have a date in mind. Going inside homes I think will be one of the last things I'm comfortable with so for now all stuff is outdoors.

And.....? It still wouldn't matter. If you're in the pool you have an extremely high chance of getting it wet which makes the mask (already fairly ineffective but at least something) even less effective. Are you silent when you're on Splash Mountain not talking to anyone while on the ride? Have you been paying attention to all the discussion around if you're mask gets soiled here's how to remove it and switch to a new one, after eating you should be switching to a new mask, after wearing a mask out and about you should be switching to a new one/laundering the mask.

A mask just doesn't make sense in that scenario. What does make sense is not having the pool open to begin with. But it's the lake, if you're out bobbing around in the lake wearing a mask is just not the way to go.

I mean all power to you if you would wear one if it makes you feel better to do so.

Wow - hostile much? My point is they are not in that water to swim, but to drink. Much less likely to get a mask wet.

:confused: If masks are required why are people permitted into businesses without them? I don't think you need to worry near as much about random people outdoors that you can more easily avoid.
Because there are "free spirits" here in CA who don't like the government telling them what to do. And some of them own businesses that aren't enforcing the requirement.

Wow - hostile much? My point is they are not in that water to swim, but to drink. Much less likely to get a mask wet.
Not hostile at all. I think, well, hope, you saw what I said about being surrounded by water, is the actual point of what I was saying negated because people weren't doing laps? Not IMO.

Whether you are swimming or standing you're in the water surrounded by water same as actually being in the lake. I don't know about you but I'm not continously swimming when I'm at a pool or a lake. One splash, one reaching up to your mask and you're done with that mask. If you would wear a mask in the pool or the lake go for it :) I just don't think we need to make that activity another way to "mask shame" especially when so much of appropriate mask wearing is about having as little contamination as possible to the mask.

I am in Southeast Michigan, which has been very hard hit. I really don't plan to go out to eat - I do some take-out on a weekly basis but I don't think I'll be dining in soon. I go out to the grocery store and a smaller discount store in my area and probably 80-90% of the people I see are wearing masks. I wear masks as a courtesy to other people as the incubation period is so long that you can spread it for quite awhile before you feel sick. There are also a number of people who don't even have symptoms but can still spread it. With my allergies and as much as I sneeze, I would feel awful if I had it and passed it to someone who brought it home to a vulnerable relative. I would hope that others would be as courteous to me and mine.

My hope is that my state doesn't lose it's mind - as the curve here is semi-flattened. If we can avoid a second wave then school might be able to open in the fall. My daughter is supposed to start her student teaching in September and she would like to do it in person and not online (kindergarten online would have to be a cluster - she's not hoping for that at all). Her side of the state is now currently the hardest hit due to the lovely protesters sharing their cooties in Lansing and passing them around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter