Are You...

A question for those who say they won't go out - do you work? Or more specifically, do you work away from home? I've spent the last three weeks up close and personal with kids at work. Not safe for a 1 -2 year old to wear a mask even if they would, so I get coughed on, sneezed on, slobbered on. Going out to a restaurant doesn't seem like a risk after that, but I might feel differently if I had the option of working from home.
Finishing a project as a consultant for a former employer. I've worked remotely for a bit over 20 years, as a consultant, and operating my business.

I'm out and about as little as possible. I'm listening to the actual experts and engaging only in low risk activities, and then only as necessary. I wear a mask. I'm under NO illusion that it's keeping me safe. That's not why I wear it. I wear it as a show of respect to OTHER people...to "you" (general you). I'm not "living in fear." If "you" don't wear a mask, it speaks volumes about what you think of other people. I do not get, at all, the refusal to follow the simple safety guidelines suggested by actual experts.

I wish I could like this twice!!!! I hate wearing a mask too. I have claustrophobia and find them uncomfortable and anxiety provoking. However, I have read what the experts say about transmission - so I stay home as much as possible and wear a mask when I am out for brief periods. Anyone who thinks masks are for their OWN safety is not reading the info that is out about masks. You wear the masks for the safety of others. They wear the mask for you. THAT is why people "mask shame." Because they are wearing the mask for others, but others won't wear them for them. It's discouraging knowing that as much as you hate the masks you are wearing them to protect others, but they won't do the same for you. Mask wearers are not safe from the virus unless they avoid people who are not wearing masks.

The way I see it, we could all wear masks for a little while and watch infection numbers go down. OR we can continue infecting each other and this thing will go on and on. It seems a lot easier to me to just do our best to prevent infection for a little while so we can get on with life sooner.

I can't imagine why anyone wearing a mask would bother someone else. However, anyone NOT wearing a mask could be an asymptomatic carrier and passing the virus to anyone they are near.

I just don’t want to wear one I guess. Where I live it’s not mandatory anywhere and most people are not wearing them. I work in a grocery store and none of the employees are wearing them and maybe 25% of customers do but probably a little less. I’m not really worried about the virus I guess, and I don’t like the look of them. I can’t imagine I’d like the feel of wearing one but I haven’t put one on to know. I haven’t seen anyone wearing one outside. Really I’m just not scared enough of this virus to wear a mask.
I'm happy all the stores in my area require their employees to wear a mask. Consider how many persons ONE cashier encounters in one day working, Those customers do not wear masks. Where have they been, who have they been in contact with. I can handle wearing a mask, it's the thought of inserting a tube down my throat that's uncomfortable to me.
I am so glad our grocery stores care enough to require employees to wear masks.

The grocery stores I've gone to require masks, and the employees all wear masks as well. They've installed plexi-glass at each cash register, have one way aisles, and wipe down each cart. I'm glad I have a place to shop that takes precautions. I would not be going in a place that didn't seem to be taking it seriously.

We are in the cautious group. Have heard too many stories of younger people with no pre-existing conditions ending up dead from this to want to take risks that we don't have to. We are patient people, enjoy our home, and I don't really feel like my "life is on hold," as some seem to mention. Yes, we are doing different things than we used to, have had to cancel some travel plans, and we are not gathering closely with friends or family, but we're still "living our lives." Working, learning, playing, exercising, gardening, house projects, enjoying nature, backyard camp outs, etc. There is a lot to enjoy out there, and I'm focusing on that rather than on the fact that I can't go get a haircut right now (and won't when they open anyway).

The bolded is where I'm at. When our governor allowed our UP and northern Michigan to open for this weekend.......it was like opening up flood gates. So we'll see........gosh I still sound like my Mother!!! :teeth:
Pictures and video on the news look like Spring Break at Fort Lauderdale years back. party::drinking1:crowded: party: I'm not sure if the kids still go to Lauderdale though. Now I am aging myself going back to Connie Francis days, Where the Boys Are.

I wish I could like this twice!!!! I hate wearing a mask too. I have claustrophobia and find them uncomfortable and anxiety provoking. However, I have read what the experts say about transmission - so I stay home as much as possible and wear a mask when I am out for brief periods. Anyone who thinks masks are for their OWN safety is not reading the info that is out about masks. You wear the masks for the safety of others. They wear the mask for you. THAT is why people "mask shame." Because they are wearing the mask for others, but others won't wear them for them. It's discouraging knowing that as much as you hate the masks you are wearing them to protect others, but they won't do the same for you. Mask wearers are not safe from the virus unless they avoid people who are not wearing masks.

The way I see it, we could all wear masks for a little while and watch infection numbers go down. OR we can continue infecting each other and this thing will go on and on. It seems a lot easier to me to just do our best to prevent infection for a little while so we can get on with life sooner.

I can't imagine why anyone wearing a mask would bother someone else. However, anyone NOT wearing a mask could be an asymptomatic carrier and passing the virus to anyone they are near.
People won’t wear them because people are selfish. Seriously, that’s the bottom line in 95% of the cases. The ones whining about them or saying it is taking away their personal freedoms, are in my opinion selfish. They obviously have not been affected by all this or lost a loved one as a result. If they did, the story would be different. It won’t kill people to wear a mask. But it may kill someone else if they don’t. They just don’t care. It’s about their need for instant gratification pure and simple.

I'm out and about as little as possible. I'm listening to the actual experts and engaging only in low risk activities, and then only as necessary. I wear a mask. I'm under NO illusion that it's keeping me safe. That's not why I wear it. I wear it as a show of respect to OTHER people...to "you" (general you). I'm not "living in fear." If "you" don't wear a mask, it speaks volumes about what you think of other people. I do not get, at all, the refusal to follow the simple safety guidelines suggested by actual experts.

We are rightfully in the overly cautious group due to my husband being newly diagnosed with ALS. I have been going to the grocery store every other week and only on off hours. We won't be going to a store just to shop nor will we dine in anywhere. I do order a lot online. Medical personal won't even come to our house for him for anything like they used to do in "normal" times.

What bothers me is the people who can't put on a mask for others. The excuse that it bothers them is lame. My husband who has lung capacity issues and wearing a mask diminishes it even more wears a mask to ALL appointments. He has a horrible time breathing when wearing a mask BUT he does it. He will be wearing one in a few days for over 4 hours. Why? Because it helps others. I find it so selfish of people to look for excuses and only think of themselves. Sometimes I think it's vanity. Sometimes I think defiance. In the end, they aren't thinking of others and are selfish. If my husband can wear a mask, others can, too!

The article I posted above mentions eye protection, because we know now that the virus can enter through the eyes. Some hospitals are now (in the past week or two) requiring clinical staff to wear eye protection in addition to surgical masks when with patients not wearing masks. (Different from staff caring directly for Covid19 patients who will be wearing full PPE with N95 and shields.) Eye protection differs from glasses which are open.

I wear a surgical mask for 13 hours at a time when I am working, in addition to full PPE when working directly with Covid19 patients. I don't mind wearing a mask, really, and wear one when and if outside. Have supplied family and friends with homemade masks, too. Where I live they are still required. Going to and from work and to the grocery store I've noticed I'd say about an 80% compliance rate on streets and 100% compliance in stores. Some stores even have police details making sure. In most stores employees are wearing masks as well.

I am ready to move on, with recommended precautions. I think the media has created a frenzy here. There is disagreement in the medical community with some of these issues though it is overshadowed by the mainstream media unless it fits a certain narrative. I can certainly understand, though, people wanting to stay home if they have special circumstances. I also think some will go overboard in the other direction, too, and there will be regional outbreaks. But I do agree that mask wearing is somewhat giving a false sense of security because of eye and other issues and because many people aren't even wearing them correctly.

Yes. Has there been a lot of research in that time that differs from what that article says?

I wish I could cite the source, but I know I've read that wearing a mask really makes a difference in the spread of droplets from the nose and mouth. I know you're a nurse - is that not true? That might have already been assumed though.

That is somewhat true, but there are exceptions, like if masks aren't worn correctly, and depending on where you are and who you're with, etc.

Thank you. Could you explain the "who you're with" part please - I don't understand. Is it like just that it's not necessary around family you're always with, common sense type stuff?

A question for those who say they won't go out - do you work? Or more specifically, do you work away from home? I've spent the last three weeks up close and personal with kids at work. Not safe for a 1 -2 year old to wear a mask even if they would, so I get coughed on, sneezed on, slobbered on. Going out to a restaurant doesn't seem like a risk after that, but I might feel differently if I had the option of working from home.

I'm on disability, so I'm able to stay home. The rest of my household consists of my aunt who is a school bus aide and so is home because schools are closed. My cousin who is a bartender has been furloughed. Her daughter also lives here with her baby and was going to school to be an EMT but the school is also closed. So, we are home together-and Boy! Is it fun! Not.

But that's beside the point. My state (NJ) is now open for gatherings of 25 or less outdoors, so they all went to a BBQ at one of my other cousin's home in the the next county. I was asked to come too, and I *did* think about it I have to admit, but in the end I just did not feel safe even if I chose to wear a mask (as far as I know nobody else going to this BBQ is even though you're supposed to). I said no, and I'm *really* not happy about the rest of my family coming home again and maybe one of them...or me again...getting ill. It's no joke, even a relatively mild case can knock you on your butt for a couple of months as I well know.

Ready to go! The dog groomer opens this week and they will be calling to schedule people who had appointments during the lockdown. Yay! Doggie gets groomed. I won't have to fight him to cut his nails. The hair salon opens too so I will be there too. I will be wearing my mask and getting my hair cut as well as catching up on the gossip. The dentist is next month so they will be calling to reschedule too. I am guessing my appointment for a cleaning won't be until late summer. I am rescheduling my physical as I want people who need the time with the doctor to get in to see him first. Then I will reschedule for September. The restaurants should open around mid June so I am ready to go visit some of my favorite places.

I don't think there's any way to be totally safe short of staying home, but even if it's limited protection, masks are better than no masks. That's why it's hard to understand why a person, even if they doubt the masks ability to totally protect, wouldn't be willing to TRY to protect those around them. Many people who doubt the protection are doing it anyway, I'm doing it, pretty much everyone short of the POTUS is doing it because that's what the experts are recommending, why do some people think they are above at least trying to protect others?

From the start, this has never been about 100% protection and NO people getting COVID 19 because that's just not realistic the way our society functions. It's been about reducing the number of people affected. I really see a lot of the "all or nothing" attitudes coming out in this pandemic. Sometimes I see people post here "how can we stay inside until there is a vaccine?" etc. when that has never even been suggested as something we should try to do. I think a lot of people just throw their hands up and think "no vaccine, to heck with it - I'm going out and living my life!" I'm curious if there's a correlation between these people and people who also don't follow other heath related things like trying to eat right, exercise, etc. for wellness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter