Are You...

What I don't understand is people saying they'll "wait for a vaccine". Uh, Covid 19 is a virus, yeah? A Coronovirus, which is related to the cold? We can't get vaccines for those, if we could we would have cured the cold/flu by now. Why would we be more likely to find a vaccine for this brand new cold-related virus when we still don't even have a vaccine for the normal cold? Are they just going to stay inside for the rest of their lives?

What I don't understand is people saying they'll "wait for a vaccine". Uh, Covid 19 is a virus, yeah? A Coronovirus, which is related to the cold? We can't get vaccines for those, if we could we would have cured the cold/flu by now. Why would we be more likely to find a vaccine for this brand new cold-related virus when we still don't even have a vaccine for the normal cold? Are they just going to stay inside for the rest of their lives?

I have been asking this here and on FB. What happens if we don’t find a vaccine? What is the end game? When do we start moving forward? I am hopeful for a vaccine, but I find it naive to bank on it - or that enough will get it.

Experts seem very hopeful that they can develop a vaccine for COVID. But I agree if they don't have vaccines for any of the number of corona viruses that are out there why this one?

I am more hopeful that they find a therapy (treatment) more than a vaccine.

Are you suggesting that because it's a virus, it is unlikely they will find a vaccine?

Viruses which have vaccines available:
influenza
chickenpox
measles
mumps
rubella
polio
smallpox
rabies
hpv
shingles
yellow fever
rotavirus
hep A and hep B

Incredible. There are multiple vaccine candidates already in human trials.

I have been asking this here and on FB. What happens if we don’t find a vaccine? What is the end game? When do we start moving forward? I am hopeful for a vaccine, but I find it naive to bank on it - or that enough will get it.

Without a vaccine, we social distance until the point that the number of cases are reduced such that contact tracing and individual quarantining can again be an effective option. Which is what other successful countries like South Korea and New Zealand are doing.

The cold has been particularly hard to pin down and because there's just so many variations, its symptoms aren't normally severe (so priority is lower at least it seems that way), etc a vaccine has been difficult. That does not mean however that it's impossible for other things.

How the virus behaves could be the harder aspect on COVID-19. One of the things that a researcher who has been researching and teaching a course at my alma mater for over 12 years on coronaviruses discussed how COVID-19 has surprised many in the scientific community on how it behaves, on how contagious it is (meaning just how many people can potentially get sick from one person), etc.

But having been said I also don't agree on certain things being framed as waiting for a vaccine even for an effective treatment because both of those are unknown. In absence of a vaccine we would obviously want an effective treatment but we also should frame our way of thinking of hoping for the best expecting the worst IMO and model our behavior on ways we can work to coexist in a more aware environment with the virus while still looking at vaccines and treatments.

In terms of things out there that would impact me a vaccine for the cold is really low on my priority list.

I do not understand people who drive alone in their car wearing a mask.

Once I put on my mask at home before I leave, I don't touch it again until after I get home and can take it off and wash my hands immediately. I go out minimally and try to accumulate a few errands I need to run so I can do them in one trip. For example, if I have a prenatal appointment, I'll arrange it so I go to the post office to mail something and pick up some groceries in the same outing so I'm not going out three times. Putting the mask on and taking it off again every time I get in or out of my car just increases risk of contamination and isn't necessary for me. I'm only driving to nearby places anyway where it's at most 15 minutes between places, usually under 10 minutes.

My understanding is the reason we don't have a vaccine for the common cold is two-fold:

1.). There are about eleventy billion rhinoviruses that cause what we call a "cold". There's just no way to practically target the culprit most of the time.

2.) Colds are relatively minor problems. We have ways to mitigate the symptoms and complications. It's just not a priority when all most people need to do to recover is eat chicken soup and watch The Price is Right for a few days.

As someone with a loved one for whom COVID could likely be a death sentence, I don't know what we're going to do, to be honest. I'm hopeful for effective treatments and a vaccine, but, until then, it's probably going to have to be some version of lockdown. I don't know when I'd ever feel safe going to a restaurant, let alone WDW, again. I don't begrudge others the opportunity to do that, but I hope we can all look out for each other. I'll keep shopping local, getting takeout, and tipping well, and you maintain hygiene and practice social distancing as directed and hopefully we'll all get through this!

Without a vaccine, we social distance until the point that the number of cases are reduced such that contact tracing and individual quarantining can again be effective option. Which is what other successful countries like South Korea and New Zealand are doing.
I'd say it's not quite that simple but that's my opinion. Social distance is at the crux of things but shouldn't be our end all

When you have the ability to contact trace it doesn't necessarily mean the cases are reduced so low. It means supplies available. You can contact trace and test all you want you just have to have the resources to do so. A main reason social distancing was hailed as paramount in the beginning, throughout the worst of it, and now as states reopen was to reduce spread and we still want to do that. But we did such a point to hammer in social distancing because we also lacked the true testing capabilities and process that needed to be put in place to contact trace.

The county in my state that has the most known cases (over 1,550) has contact traced every single one. They have no community spread because they know so and so was in contact with so and so. They are testing all those people. Of course they still have the whole social distance guideline but they also have meat processing plants with outbreaks and whatnot.

So to me I would say to reduce such emphasis on social distancing you would need contact tracers (more than what states presently are utilizing) and plentiful tests so that you can test those who may be in contact with someone who may have it (rather than only those with symptoms). Tests also need to be able to be given the results quicker on average.

Without a vaccine, we social distance until the point that the number of cases are reduced such that contact tracing and individual quarantining can again be an effective option. Which is what other successful countries like South Korea and New Zealand are doing.

Thank you for this! For real. You are the first person who has answered this question for me with something tangible. I am happy to follow the rules when I know why I’m doing it.

ETA: I do worry how long social distancing is a reality though. Based on what I’ve seen this weekend (both around town and on social media), people are already ignoring it.

I have tested the water is a little bit. I have ventured outside of my regular just once a week grocery shopping trip and went to the dollar tree today. I don’t wanna do too much just yeah I want to see how things go and open up. I do not think I’m ready to go sit at a restaurant yet and eat but I do support my local places and get takeout.

I am however becoming a little bit more relaxed about hanging out with people at houses. So last Sunday two of my good friends came over because one of them is moving to Texas at the end of this month so it was a goodbye hang out. We just sat on my porch ordered pizza and drink some wine. Tomorrow my best friend her husband and son plus my aunt are coming over and we’ll sit outside and grill. I need some sense of normalcy but I’m not ready to have like a big gathering

I have tested the water is a little bit. I have ventured outside of my regular just once a week grocery shopping trip and went to the dollar tree today. I don’t wanna do too much just yeah I want to see how things go and open up. I do not think I’m ready to go sit at a restaurant yet and eat but I do support my local places and get takeout.

I am however becoming a little bit more relaxed about hanging out with people at houses. So last Sunday two of my good friends came over because one of them is moving to Texas at the end of this month so it was a goodbye hang out. We just sat on my porch ordered pizza and drink some wine. Tomorrow my best friend her husband and son plus my aunt are coming over and we’ll sit outside and grill. I need some sense of normalcy but I’m not ready to have like a big gathering
Our Phase 1 starts tomorrow; gatherings under 50 are scheduled to resume on June 1. At that time I'm raring to resume our social life beginning with picnics in the park. Two or three couples, no kids, everybody bring their own food and seating and there's plenty of room for personal distancing. Can't wait!! After I get a haircut, of course. ;)

This is a great "Where's Waldo?" Dan. I found 7 with facial coverings / masks actually being worn and one more that thinks the on the chin is how a mask should be worn. ;)
It is! I've found 9. Assuming we both found the same first 7. Look to the upper right of the older guy with the surgical mask, in the row of 3. Behind the guy with the ball cap, it's a black mask so hard to see on the woman. The second one, is way back (follow the tip of the shark's nose all the way down to the people), the white mask against the guy's dark skin makes it stand out.

Anyone over the age of 50 is considered high risk.
Not "high" risk. 50s are higher than 40s, which are higher than 30s, which are higher than 20s and so forth. The risk starts to go up substantially at 65. The highest risk is for people greater than 80. However, everyone is at risk especially those that have preexisting conditions at any age and/or are obese. We are healthy, no medical conditions, and not obese, despite our "age." The vast majority of people in their 50s survive Covid as do the vast majority in each age group. I try to keep it in perspective, follow guidelines like wearing masks, social distancing, small groups, etc. but I am not going to let Covid fear paralyze me.

A little of each. I've been following the science, not just the mass media, and I've definitely formed my own hierarchy of risk that might not exactly line up with the economic/political processes that are guiding the reopening, and I'll let that guide my comfort level. So it'll be a while before I dine in at a restaurant or host a dinner party, but I'd be just fine enjoying patio dining if it were to reopen. I'm pretty low-maintenance so salon and spa services are entirely theoretical to me anyway but they'd be about the last thing I'd do right now. I'm good with most outdoor activities, though, and with activities that only involve other people in passing rather than in prolonged face-to-face contact. I'm anxious to get back to road-tripping but not as sure about travel that would involve flying, though with masks required I'd probably do it for the right trip.

The main thing I'm very uncomfortable with right now, and the single factor that could change a lot of my perception of risk, is the widespread refusal to wear masks and the reluctance of our leaders to make them truly mandatory. People just don't understand how masks work - mine doesn't protect me, it protects you from me - and this whole concept of "freedom" to take the risk of not wearing a mask is based on that misunderstanding and puts everyone at greater risk. Masks are such a cheap, easy, low-risk measure and we can look around the world and see how much of a difference they make in the trajectory of the outbreak and the pace of reopening. I really don't understand the resistance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter