• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are You...

Ready to go! The dog groomer opens this week and they will be calling to schedule people who had appointments during the lockdown. Yay! Doggie gets groomed. I won't have to fight him to cut his nails. The hair salon opens too so I will be there too. I will be wearing my mask and getting my hair cut as well as catching up on the gossip. The dentist is next month so they will be calling to reschedule too. I am guessing my appointment for a cleaning won't be until late summer. I am rescheduling my physical as I want people who need the time with the doctor to get in to see him first. Then I will reschedule for September. The restaurants should open around mid June so I am ready to go visit some of my favorite places.

The minute my dog groomer opens, I’m calling for an appointment :)

Regarding masks: One thing that I have found frustrating in my own circles (and what I've seen online) is the number of people who were worried about the shutdown's impact to businesses and now have a problem with wearing a mask. If you won't even make a small personal sacrifice to slow/reduce the spread you obviously don't care a whole lot about the businesses or the well-being of others, just yourself.

(Caveat: I understand there are some that can't wear due to medical reasons. The people I'm talking about don't have those.)
Because it was always selfishness for some from the very beginning. Some people will not be inconvenienced in any way unless they are personally benefiting from it because they are selfish by nature.

Saying ’I just don’t like them, they are uncomfortable, so I don’t wear them‘ is pure selfishness and I don’t care what you say to try to convince yourself otherwise. No one loves wearing a mask but they wear them for the greater good because other people exist. What a concept.

Yes. Has there been a lot of research in that time that differs from what that article says?
Not appreciably. With such fast moving advice and changes, I always look at dates of publication. I was just pointing that out, PnM. CDC favors most of the time, WHO is sometimes, not too often.

Not appreciably. With such fast moving advice and changes, I always look at dates of publication. I was just pointing that out, PnM. CDC favors most of the time, WHO is sometimes, not too often.

I thought the studies showing how the masks cut down on the droplet dispersal were new, but I guess I was thinking of the pics/videos that illustrate this since Drs. have been wearing them practically forever. Meaning yeah, I'm sure it's been studied. (Last sentence is kind of a comment to myself.)

I am moving cautiously, avoiding crowds, shopping only when necessary, wearing masks while shopping indoors. I am ready to resume limited interaction with people and let my son have 3 friends over yesterday, who he had been living with until 3 weeks ago. My state is very early stage 1. We had 7 people. They stayed outside, swam, played basketball, and we fed them dinner. We did not wear masks outside. I am going to take my grandkids for 2 weeks in June, when they are finished school. Husband and I are in our 50s, we are not high risk. We visited with inlaws this week and my mother, wearing masks. Inlaws are in good health but mother is living on borrowed time. My mother is depressed and doesn't want to die without any more contact with family.

I thought the studies showing how the masks cut down on the droplet dispersal were new, but I guess I was thinking of the pics/videos that illustrate this since Drs. have been wearing them practically forever. Meaning yeah, I'm sure it's been studied. (Kind of a comment to myself.)
The CDC is very emphatic with their advice. to wear masks. I think they would prefer them to be worn also beyond 6 feet, but I think they are giving in some to the 'non-mask' people in order to get more people wearing them. Strangely, the WHO does not find much value unless with taking care of a COVID patient or coughing and sneezing yourself. :confused3 Until further notice, I'll lean towards the CDC.

Now here, other than 3 people that I see, it looks like no COVID caregivers nor any coughers/sneezers and most everybody at least 6 feet from others :scratchin, on a Boardwalk in Maryland. It would an interesting experiment to see the health results and tracings in two weeks of this group pictured here. :(

People don't seem to realize that the protection of the chlorine in the pool doesn't extend to the air above the pool or on the deck.

The CDC is very emphatic with their advice. to wear masks. I think they would prefer them to be worn also beyond 6 feet, but I think they are giving in some to the 'non-mask' people in order to get more people wearing them. Strangely, the WHO does not find much value unless with taking care of a COVID patient or coughing and sneezing yourself. :confused3 Until further notice, I'll lean towards the CDC.

Now here, other than 3 people that I see, it looks like no COVID caregivers nor any coughers/sneezers and most everybody at least 6 feet from others :scratchin, on a Boardwalk in Maryland. It would an interesting experiment to see the health results and tracings in two weeks of this group pictured here. :(

View attachment 496801

Congratulations. You have a very good study. In fact it has already reached its first conclusion before it's even a day old. CW4D won't be going there for the duration of your two week study.

Last edited:

Thank you. Could you explain the "who you're with" part please - I don't understand. Is it like just that it's not necessary around family you're always with, common sense type stuff?
I think it's complex, and more than I care to get into here today. But for instance, in my world, I'm with people who work directly with Covid pts inside and outside of the ICU. There are a lot of healthcare workers around, and others who have been out working with the general public, too. As opposed to Aunt Clara who hasn't been out of her house since March or those who've been at home with just their families primarily. There is a range of risk, and it will evolve as things continue to open up.

I am not completely opposed to wearing them, but I think we can't rely on masks alone to protect us and others. I think we need to more solidly adopt other measures like hand hygiene, not touching our faces, trying to keep distance from those who are sick, etc., for the long term which will benefit us most going forward than masks which are likely to fall out of favor at some point and as people stop wearing them, etc. There are certainly plenty of studies about those measures (whereas on masks the've been inconsistent - no wonder there is confusion and disagreement). We'll have to look most closely at being in enclosed spaces, I think, because that is where the highest risk is. Being outside unless someone coughs or sneezes and you're close by or the wind is blowing toward you, is probably relatively safe; social distancing ensures it even more. I still see medical and other employees here and there not cleansing hands after blowing noses and such. If it's a problem now, we have a very long way to go with this, as this is probably what's going to continue to spread infection more than not wearing masks.

I think it's complex, and more than I care to get into here today. But for instance, in my world, I'm with people who work directly with Covid pts inside and outside of the ICU. There are a lot of healthcare workers around, and others who have been out working with the general public, too. As opposed to Aunt Clara who hasn't been out of her house since March or those who've been at home with just their families primarily. There is a range of risk, and it will evolve as things continue to open up.

I am not completely opposed to wearing them, but I think we can't rely on masks alone to protect us and others. I think we need to more solidly adopt other measures like hand hygiene, not touching our faces, trying to keep distance from those who are sick, etc., for the long term which will benefit us most going forward than masks which are likely to fall out of favor at some point and as people stop wearing them, etc. There are certainly plenty of studies about those measures (whereas on masks the've been inconsistent - no wonder there is confusion and disagreement). We'll have to look most closely at being in enclosed spaces, I think, because that is where the highest risk is. Being outside unless someone coughs or sneezes and you're close by or the wind is blowing toward you, is probably relatively safe; social distancing ensures it even more. I still see medical and other employees here and there not cleansing hands after blowing noses and such. If it's a problem now, we have a very long way to go with this, as this is probably what's going to continue to spread infection more than not wearing masks.

Thank you again.

The grocery stores I've gone to require masks, and the employees all wear masks as well. They've installed plexi-glass at each cash register, have one way aisles, and wipe down each cart. I'm glad I have a place to shop that takes precautions. I would not be going in a place that didn't seem to be taking it seriously.
Our grocery store is doing the same, with the exception of the one way aisle. I'm glad they care about their customers and even though I loved them before, I love them even more now. A store that didn't require its employees to wear masks or didn't do anything to keep their employees or customers safe isn't a store that deserves my business.

People won’t wear them because people are selfish. Seriously, that’s the bottom line in 95% of the cases. The ones whining about them or saying it is taking away their personal freedoms, are in my opinion selfish. They obviously have not been affected by all this or lost a loved one as a result. If they did, the story would be different. It won’t kill people to wear a mask. But it may kill someone else if they don’t. They just don’t care. It’s about their need for instant gratification pure and simple.
Yep. All of this.

Because it was always selfishness for some from the very beginning. Some people will not be inconvenienced in any way unless they are personally benefiting from it because they are selfish by nature.

Saying ’I just don’t like them, they are uncomfortable, so I don’t wear them‘ is pure selfishness and I don’t care what you say to try to convince yourself otherwise. No one loves wearing a mask but they wear them for the greater good because other people exist. What a concept.
:thumbsup2

I am moving cautiously, avoiding crowds, shopping only when necessary, wearing masks while shopping indoors. I am ready to resume limited interaction with people and let my son have 3 friends over yesterday, who he had been living with until 3 weeks ago. My state is very early stage 1. We had 7 people. They stayed outside, swam, played basketball, and we fed them dinner. We did not wear masks outside. I am going to take my grandkids for 2 weeks in June, when they are finished school. Husband and I are in our 50s, we are not high risk. We visited with inlaws this week and my mother, wearing masks. Inlaws are in good health but mother is living on borrowed time. My mother is depressed and doesn't want to die without any more contact with family.
Anyone over the age of 50 is considered high risk.

I think also the mask wearing depends on the numbers in your area. My town has had no confirm cases. All the cases were in the larger town or the city 30 mins from where I live. I have no issue with those who want to wear a mask. You do you. The numbers have not jumped significantly in my county since opening more.

Anyone over the age of 50 is considered high risk.
CDC uses age 65 and up. A lot of special hours are for those 65 and up.

Everyone is at risk, age 65 and up and those with underlying health issues are at an increased risk for complications (per CDC)

I think most of us would probably benefit from not focusing on age relative to risk but many of the guidelines do use age for guidance on behaviors (like staying home, avoiding contact,etc)

I think also the mask wearing depends on the numbers in your area. My town has had no confirm cases. All the cases were in the larger town or the city 30 mins from where I live. I have no issue with those who want to wear a mask. You do you. The numbers have not jumped significantly in my county since opening more.
The problem with your statement is you do you only applies to those wearing a mask. They're doing themselves. Those not wearing a mask are doing not only themselves but others as well.

A question for those who say they won't go out - do you work? Or more specifically, do you work away from home? I've spent the last three weeks up close and personal with kids at work. Not safe for a 1 -2 year old to wear a mask even if they would, so I get coughed on, sneezed on, slobbered on. Going out to a restaurant doesn't seem like a risk after that, but I might feel differently if I had the option of working from home.
One doesn't need to work from home to think differently. One of our friends is in that exact position. She works with little ones too. She feels differently even though she doesn't have the option of working at home. She says she's not going to go to any restaurants because she is at higher risk to get it due to her employment and thus higher risk to infect others before she knows she has it.

Last edited:
For those of you who choose not to wear a mask when out & about (like in a store, etc.), what’s your reason for not wearing a mask? Do you feel that your risk of spreading the virus is low or non-existant? Or are you trying to make some sort of “statement”, whatever that might be?
I’m really just curious, that’s all. No judging here. Thank you!

I wear a mask when required to do so. In my area, that means when I go into Costco or to a doctor's appointment or the other day to get my kid's hair cut. Other than that, I don't wear one. Yes, that means I go grocery shopping at my local grocery store without one.

It's not to make a political statement.
It's not to make a health statement.
It's not to 'take a stand' or anything like that.

It's because my glasses fog up all the time whenever I wear one. Regardless of what type of mask I wear. It's also because it's hot. I mean, next week here, it'll be 111.

I do not understand people who drive alone in their car wearing a mask.

** edited to add **
We, as a family, have ventured back out occasionally into society. We go to Costco and the grocery store weekly. DH & I have been out to eat a couple of times at local restaurants, which all follow the strict new health code requirements. I bring hand sanitizer wherever we go. Now by default whenever we arrive back home from somewhere or even from getting the mail, we immediately wash our hands.

I do not disinfect and sanitize everything that comes into the house. We take reasonable precautions that we are comfortable with. Our kids have pretty much stayed at home. Swimming pools just reopened but I'm not ready yet to basically take a bath with everybody else, so despite temps over 100 next week we will pass on the pool thing for awhile.

Movie theaters will probably reopen here in a couple of weeks. I'm ready to see a movie in a movie theater. The theaters here will end up opening with social distancing in place so the theater won't sell out.

I've been to Michael's a couple of times. To Target once. Walmart a couple of times. And to my favorite plant nursery many times...that place is great...you can order and pay ahead of time, just print out your receipt, they'll load the stuff into your car for you. It's saved my sanity these past 2 months being able to continue to plant stuff in my garden before the 7th circle of hell heat of summer begins next week.

I would like for schools to reopen regularly this fall. DH & I are going to WDW in late January. We'll wear masks on the planes, in the airports, and everywhere required and will sanitize the hell out of everything.

Last edited:
I do not understand people who drive alone in their car wearing a mask.
If someone is making multiple stops it is recommended they leave the mask in place as to not potentially contaminate it by taking it off & on. Believe me, we don't like it any more than you do. But since in my area it is required anytime you are in public where you can not keep a distance of at least 6ft (which is everywhere) we do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter