Are You...

At a state level pools are not yet able to be open (though the lake I was talking about is in the neighboring state), around me some cities are just keeping them closed for the season.

But that wouldn't stop personal pools in people's backyards which your article doesn't mention if it was a public or private pool. My neighbor has a pool but he's not up for a big neighborly pool party,last year yes but this year no.

Not hostile at all. I think, well, hope, you saw what I said about being surrounded by water, is the actual point of what I was saying negated because people weren't doing laps? Not IMO.

Whether you are swimming or standing you're in the water surrounded by water same as actually being in the lake. I don't know about you but I'm not continously swimming when I'm at a pool or a lake. One splash, one reaching up to your mask and you're done with that mask. If you would wear a mask in the pool or the lake go for it :) I just don't think we need to make that activity another way to "mask shame" especially when so much of appropriate mask wearing is about having as little contamination as possible to the mask.

In this instance - where people are standing in waist deep water to drink - I do believe your point is negated. You, of course, are entitled to your own opinion.

DW and I will be 70 this year. I have cancer plus other issues and DW has some minor issues so we will continue to wear mask and wash, shop when crowd is down, will do FW and DS plus consider Parks ASAP.

p.s. - - Park rides are not a requirement for our enjoyment since walking + looking provides our ''Disney FIX."

A question for those who say they won't go out - do you work? Or more specifically, do you work away from home? I've spent the last three weeks up close and personal with kids at work. Not safe for a 1 -2 year old to wear a mask even if they would, so I get coughed on, sneezed on, slobbered on. Going out to a restaurant doesn't seem like a risk after that, but I might feel differently if I had the option of working from home.
I see your point. I work in childcare too, but all childcare has been closed here since March 13. I have been home and only go out for groceries every 10-14 days.

We're being cautious but at the same time we're largely home bodies already. We only really went out to eat while people were visiting or on vacation, didn't really wander Target or malls for hours on a weekend, etc so this isn't much of a change. Only change in day to day life is now we're wearing masks while making our trips to the store, trying to minimize trips, and utilizing store pickup more often.

Our next fly away trip wasn't scheduled until December (we are doing a few local road trips this summer) and plan is still to proceed with that.

Not necessary - I'm not dumb enough to attend such an event.
Which I absolutely support :). I wouldn't either. I was pointing out in my original comment about mask shaming using contextual points about when a mask doesn't make the most sense and you kinda showcased that.

If that's the case about not attending in the first place why argue over something you wouldn't even attend in the first place. Totally rhetorical question as I think we're good on our stances. Agree to disagree (metaphorically speaking) and move on :)

Definitely cautious. I'm in New Orleans. We got hit really hard early, and we're just now opening up a tiny bit. People are mostly taking masks and social distancing seriously -- but like a PP noted, the virus didn't go anywhere. It's not any less deadly, and there's still no cure or vaccine. Cases are down *because* everyone stayed home, and common sense says they're going to rise as people quit staying home. I already worked from home before COVID-19, and I live with my retired father who's high risk due to age. I don't need to go anywhere, so I'm not going to. I miss my life, of course, but I'm going to wait to see how things go and whether we're able to trace and isolate infected people. Then I'll reassess.

Regarding masks: One thing that I have found frustrating in my own circles (and what I've seen online) is the number of people who were worried about the shutdown's impact to businesses and now have a problem with wearing a mask. If you won't even make a small personal sacrifice to slow/reduce the spread you obviously don't care a whole lot about the businesses or the well-being of others, just yourself.

(Caveat: I understand there are some that can't wear due to medical reasons. The people I'm talking about don't have those.)

Which I absolutely support :). I wouldn't either. I was pointing out in my original comment about mask shaming using contextual points about when a mask doesn't make the most sense and you kinda showcased that.

If that's the case about not attending in the first place why argue over something you wouldn't even attend in the first place. Totally rhetorical question as I think we're good on our stances. Agree to disagree (metaphorically speaking) and move on :)

Good Lord, yes, move on. :rolleyes: Can't even make a simple comment on a message board. Guess I'll go back to watching the squirrels in the backyard. :teeth: :squirrel:

Last edited:
For those of you who choose not to wear a mask when out & about (like in a store, etc.), what’s your reason for not wearing a mask? Do you feel that your risk of spreading the virus is low or non-existant? Or are you trying to make some sort of “statement”, whatever that might be?
I’m really just curious, that’s all. No judging here. Thank you!
No statement - I would wear one if it was required. As of last week, I definitely do not have nor have had Covid. I've been tested for both the virus and antibodies. Nor do I know one single, solitary person who has had it; certainly not anyone I'm in direct contact with day-to-day. I think my chances of contracting it from a random encounter at the grocery store or drive-thru window are very low, as is my risk of a bad outcome if I did contract it.

I do comply with all requirements and will continue to do so, as well as take reasonable precautions with personal distancing and hygiene. If I had any symptoms whatsoever I would quarantine and get tested again as well as wear a mask for whatever extended period was recommended by the heath professionals.
Because there are "free spirits" here in CA who don't like the government telling them what to do. And some of them own businesses that aren't enforcing the requirement.
That's on them. The problem with official restrictions is there then comes an inherent responsibility to police and punish non-compliance.

Last edited:
Still cautious. Our area is slow to reopen and masks are required inside businesses. When I do go out, which is mainly for grocery shopping and doctor appointments or lab tests, people are wearing masks. Since I'm pregnant and we have young kids, we will continue to stay home as much as possible even if things start opening up more. We can work from home, although it hasn't been easy with young kids at home and dealing with pregnancy symptoms.

(Caveat: I understand there are some that can't wear due to medical reasons. The people I'm talking about don't have those.)
One local doctor made a statement that if one can not wear a mask due to medical reasons, they very likely should not be going out in public in the first place. This was in response to a question he was asked about people wearing buttons saying they were medically exempt from wearing a mask.

For those of you who choose not to wear a mask when out & about (like in a store, etc.), what’s your reason for not wearing a mask? Do you feel that your risk of spreading the virus is low or non-existant? Or are you trying to make some sort of “statement”, whatever that might be?
I’m really just curious, that’s all. No judging here. Thank you!

I think for me it's a combination of things; although "making a statement" is not one of them lol...I'm not sure how not wearing a mask makes any kind of statement.

At the end of the day it boils down to they're annoying and I don't really believe it makes a difference. I don't think I'm sick (I work at a school and honestly these last few months of being out of the building; I've never health-wise felt better lol) so I don't feel I'm a theeat to anyone. I'm also really not in close contact with strangers etc. There's also all the weirdness about them to begin with. At first they were screaming out us not to use them, they weren't effective etc. (I'm sure mainly to not run any lower for PPE for ppl who actually needed it,) then it was yes actually all ppl. should wear them...except don't wear the ones that are actually the most "effective" (here on our military base we're actually not allowed to wear n95 ones)...just put a piece of cloth over your face (again I'm sure to not take away from those who need it most etc.) and then the fact that most don't wear them correctly etc. it just seems like it's just junk being thrown out there and that the actual benefit of wearing one is pretty small. I also won't lie, the fact that many of our state and nations leaders don't wear one, make me feel like they just really aren't as big of a deal as somd try to make them out to be.

I wear them where it's required, but strongly prefer not to. If I were to go somewhere where they weren't required, but 85% of ppl had then on a anyways, I probably would put one on just to not make others feel like I wasn't being considerate etc., but otherwise I probably won't wear one when not required.

Or go check out a Great Lakes freighter. :boat:
Good for you.! You certainly did the right thing, had the right thoughts on overall safety. That was unbelievable.

Here in Illinois, we are supposed to be going to stage 3 next week. And Chicago is a bit slower. Stages, from state to state, county to county, are somewhat meaningless as they vary so much from one state/county. What is stage 3 in Illinois may be totally different that stage 3 in some other state. I have no problems with however slow they want to go.

I have been in 2 stores since march, Costco once, (after the early mad rush time) and a large grocery, during senior hour at 6 AM. I regularly do Walmart in-car grocery pickup (can't beat that system, I love it) and do drive-through and curbside from restaurants. Online church works fine. I do have a haircut appointment for June 9th (haven't had a haircut sine Feb 5th. I anticipate I will push it off for another month.

After watching the news shows yesterday, I'm holding my breath for what we might see in 2 weeks or so.

The bolded is where I'm at. When our governor allowed our UP and northern Michigan to open for this weekend.......it was like opening up flood gates. So we'll see........gosh I still sound like my Mother!!! :teeth:

I think for me it's a combination of things; although "making a statement" is not one of them lol...I'm not sure how not wearing a mask makes any kind of statement.

At the end of the day it boils down to they're annoying and I don't really believe it makes a difference. I don't think I'm sick (I work at a school and honestly these last few months of being out of the building; I've never health-wise felt better lol) so I don't feel I'm a theeat to anyone. I'm also really not in close contact with strangers etc. There's also all the weirdness about them to begin with. At first they were screaming out us not to use them, they weren't effective etc. (I'm sure mainly to not run any lower for PPE for ppl who actually needed it,) then it was yes actually all ppl. should wear them...except don't wear the ones that are actually the most "effective" (here on our military base we're actually not allowed to wear n95 ones)...just put a piece of cloth over your face (again I'm sure to not take away from those who need it most etc.) and then the fact that most don't wear them correctly etc. it just seems like it's just junk being thrown out there and that the actual benefit of wearing one is pretty small. I also won't lie, the fact that many of our state and nations leaders don't wear one, make me feel like they just really aren't as big of a deal as somd try to make them out to be.

I wear them where it's required, but strongly prefer not to. If I were to go somewhere where they weren't required, but 85% of ppl had then on a anyways, I probably would put one on just to not make others feel like I wasn't being considerate etc., but otherwise I probably won't wear one when not required.
It was a major error in strategy by the officials to have tried to manipulate people into preserving PPE for front-line workers instead of honestly and bluntly presenting the facts. Now trying to walk-back their (apparently) incorrect and dishonest information has naturally resulted in a lack of trust in what they say, not only regarding masks but other aspects as well. Collective "they", internationally, put themselves and all of us in a terrible situation. :sad2:

It was a major error in strategy by the officials to have tried to manipulate people into preserving PPE for front-line workers instead of honestly and bluntly presenting the facts. Now trying to walk-back their (apparently) incorrect and dishonest information has naturally resulted in a lack of trust in what they say, not only regarding masks but other aspects as well. Collective "they", internationally, put themselves and all of us in a terrible situation. :sad2:
I agree. I mean I guess I get why they present things the way they do, but on the other hand it really makes ppl question anything they say, because you can't trust it to be real/honest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter