AUGUST 2018 Car rental watch

Much like what happened to me back in March, Hertz has undercut the competition in the last week leading up to my rental. I'm at $141 base/$175 total for a 5 night /6 day intermediate starting August 15 using AAA codes. This beats my Alamo rental by about $15.

I booked Dollar using the Dollar Days discount code 101368. Aug 20- 25, full size Chrysler 200 or similar for $132 (including taxes and fees). That is the best rate I have seen so far for a full size.

I must say, for renting a car, the last week before leaving can be kinda fun. After months of rates starting high and staying high, they finally come down. Not as much as I'd like, but...

Anyway, I've done 5 reservations over the past two days (3 with Hertz, 2 Alamo) for my trip starting the 15th and each time the price has come down...Hertz twice today. Where I am now: Hertz midsize, 8/15-20, AAA discount, $5/day additional off (PC 204358). I'm at 130.40 base, 162.25 total. (Could have done a full size for about $8 more, but don't really need it). A week ago I was at $203 and started at $279 back in Feb. Sometimes the changes are only a couple dollars, but its a couple french fries at Disney.

As I mentioned before, consider Hertz if you have the proper discounts (like AAA). They seem to stay very high until about 8-10 days before leaving. I rented with them in March and it was very easy (do sign up for their free gold club though so you can skip the counter...I've read reports that you need to go to the counter the first time, but at least in March I didn't have to)

Well, our car rental rates dropped big time today. We need a minivan for an 18 day rental. I've been watching the Costco site and everything up until this morning was outrageous. (we leave in 5 days so that have something to do with it, or maybe the Dollar sale yesterday did.)

I did (and still do) have that alamo rate with the AOPA coupon, that I now need to figure out how to cancel as it's still showing up on my reservation page directly with Alamo.

However, I checked Costco this morning and rates dropped $121 on our rental. So needless to say I'm happier than pie! I still have a backup with Budget, but they are $219 more than the reservation at Alamo. So I will most likely cancel that one.

So if you are looking for pretty good rate, and are a member of Costco, I would check them out to see what sort of rate you can get. You might be pleasantly surprised.

~D

Alamo with Costco discount: down about 10% today for me. For both our 17 day rental and 11 day rental.
More detail: **I'm picking up and dropping off MCO (dropping off at either Dolphin or Car Care Center were much higher prices, as was picking up and dropping off at either of those).
**Try both Costco's site and Alamo, because one trip was cheaper at Costco's site, the other at Alamo's.
**At alamo I used $25 coupon code AD3868JST and Costco ID 7014627. (Its possible I used one of these $25 coupon codes at Alamo: AD2823JAZ or AD2836JMA. They all auto-populate and I don't take great notes! I just make sure not to use the ADN $30 off code - doesn't work any longer for me.)
**FYI Learned today that a friend/family can book for you at Costco's travel site, and enter your info as primary driver. Then when you pick up the car the primary driver does need to be a Costco member. (I have no info/opinion about bypassing/gaming that, as I'm a member.) You can check rates without signing in.
**Costco site has $20 Alamo gift card BUT not all time ranges or car types. So if that's a factor be aware it has to say that when you choose your car type.

Last edited:

Alamo with Costco discount: down about 10% today for me. For both our 17 day rental and 11 day rental.
More detail: **I'm picking up and dropping off MCO (dropping off at either Dolphin or Car Care Center were much higher prices, as was picking up and dropping off at either of those).
**Try both Costco's site and Alamo, because one trip was cheaper at Costco's site, the other at Alamo's.
**At alamo I used $25 coupon code AD3868JST and Costco ID 7014627. (Its possible I used one of these $25 coupon codes at Alamo: AD2823JAZ or AD2836JMA. They all auto-populate and I don't take great notes! I just make sure not to use the ADN $30 off code - doesn't work any longer for me.)
**FYI Learned today that a friend/family can book for you at Costco's travel site, and enter your info as primary driver. Then when you pick up the car the primary driver does need to be a Costco member. (I have no info/opinion about bypassing/gaming that, as I'm a member.) You can check rates without signing in.
**Costco site has $20 Alamo gift card BUT not all time ranges or car types. So if that's a factor be aware it has to say that when you choose your car type.
Thanks! It reduced my rate by $18. Down to $318 for Fullsize for 12 nights 8/30-9/11. Seems to go down a few dollars every couple of days (and I rebook every couple of days). I went the same time last year and booked my final reservation 3 days prior to the trip for $14 a day. Fingers crossed it goes down to the same rate.

Alamo dropped again for us this evening. 18 day rental starting 8/15. Mini Van went from $856 to $771. This was via the Costco website. Free additional driver, and a $25.00 offer.
I also booked a full size SUV since there will be 5 of us (and we have some people that are pooh sized, as well as one person who is 6'6", not to mention lots of luggage, including laptop bags, etc) When I started searching, the full size SUVs were $2500+. Tonight, I got one for $982 total for the 18 day rental.
I hope they come down even more. I love this last minute stuff that will save us some dough!

~D

Oh, I forgot to ask.. on the $20 gift card that Costco is offering, how do you get that? Is it loaded to your Costco card or do they actually send you a $20 gift card?

~D

My rates haven't changed in a while. I'm currently holding two reservations for 15 days:

- Full size/Budget (Costco) $330
- Convertible/Alamo (Autoslash) $425

Oh, I forgot to ask.. on the $20 gift card that Costco is offering, how do you get that? Is it loaded to your Costco card or do they actually send you a $20 gift card?

~D
At Costco's site, says it is mailed to you 2 to 4 weeks after you return the car. Here are the other details:
  • Receive a $20 Costco Cash Card
  • Minimum four-day rental with Saturday night required
  • Rent a full-size car or larger (excluding specialty)
  • Valid for rentals 8/16/18 – 9/30/18
  • Book 7/30/18 – 8/31/18
  • Online bookings only, while supplies last
  • One additional driver fee waived [it is anyway with Costco]
  • The Costco Cash Card offer is valid for qualifying, completed rentals of a full size car or larger with a minimum of four consecutive days (96 hours), max 28 days, with Saturday night keep booked through Costcotravel.com only. The offer is valid for reservations made through Costcotravel.com 7/30/18 - 8/31/18 (or while supplies last, whichever comes first) for rentals 8/16/18 - 9/30/18. Limit one Costco Cash Card offer per qualifying rental. Changes or cancellations to the reservation will result in the forfeiture of the Costco Cash Card. Offer is nontransferable and may not be combined with any other offer or coupon (except the inclusions of the Costco Cash Card offer). The Costco Cash Card, which you’ll receive two to four weeks after you return your rental car, may be used toward merchandise or gas at any Costco warehouse throughout the United States or toward online purchases at Costco.com.

Last edited:
Now down to $143.10 total, Aug 15-20, Hertz standard, AAA...been going down slowly at least a couple times a day. Alamo doesn't seem to budge...stuck there in the $170's.

Last edited:
Avis now is 10% less than my Alamo Costco rate from yesterday (which had dropped 10%). $395 for 17 days, and $39.50 amazon gift card (so, net $356).

Avis: join preferred for direct to car; link to Amazon Prime account for 10% back in amazon gift card (after rental completed). (If you have Alexa apparently 20% back, but reviews say doesn't work.)

I've never rented Avis before - Alamo at MCO many times (and a big fan) - so hoping Avis is as easy.

Last edited:
AutoSlash worked well for me. My local Enterprise 7 day minivan rental went from $535 (with a State employee discount) to $363.

AutoSlash worked well for me. My local Enterprise 7 day minivan rental went from $535 (with a State employee discount) to $363.
That’s awesome! I have also found AutoSlash is showing the best rates with our local rentals. Still at 550 for our enterprise though

My rental for 8 days starting this Wednesday just went down again on costco. I'm at $181 Full sized w/ Budget. Down from $227 Full w/ Alamo. I'm a day too early for the gift card.

8 days, 8/17-8/25.. so I am taking the premium for $247 through Costco with the $20 GC
The lowest I have found was a full size for $235. For $12 I will step up for (hopefully)a leather interior.
I want to pick my own car, I like the service I've gotten at Alamo..
Anyone else afraid to take a chance?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter