AUGUST 2018 Car rental watch

I am down to $342 for a midsize SUV from Alamo with our BJ's discount plus the $30 off discount code for dates Aug 9th thru Aug 18. Not bad, but under $300 would be better. One can dream, haha
can you share the $30 off discount code? I am also a Bj's member ;)

I originally had a manager's special with Dollar, guaranteed compact or larger, got it down to $170. Then found an intermediate SUV at Budget for $187, so I booked that instead. I pre-paid for it, because I figured I wasn't going to find anything that much better. Our dates are August 22-29.

Looking for a new Alamo coupon. I was using the $30 one, but it’s not working anymore. Plus the reservation I’m holding with it will not let me in. Ugh. If you used AD2365FDN you might want to check your reservation. I’m hoping it’s a glitch.

This morning Budget is the lowest for my upcoming week. If I do pay now and the price decreases, am I stuck? I've never rented through Budget - what do I need to know if I go through them?

Thanks!

Heads up... All of a sudden the AOPA $30 off Alamo isnt working, AND I cant pull up reservations made with it.

Yep I’ve posted this on several rental car threads. If anyone decides to do checkin, it’s not going to work. I wanted to cancel my reservation and can’t even email customer service either. Guess I’m going to have to call. Ive used this coupon in the past. Guessing it expired July 31.

Heads up... All of a sudden the AOPA $30 off Alamo isnt working, AND I cant pull up reservations made with it.

As others have mentioned, my existing reservation using this coupon is now not accessible on-line. I can see it, but if I click to open it and error pops up. However, I just re-booked the same reservation, minus the coupon and my new total is a little over $60 less than my old reservation for 8/24-9/9 and a standard car.

awdwnut

Last edited:
For those who used Alamo and are having issues with online checkin. I was also having these issues, so I called Alamo because new rates were higher than what I had locked in. They confirmed my reservation is still good, but that they had been having issues like this for anyone who was trying to do online checkin more than 14 days out. He told me to try within our 14 day window, and said it should work fine but not to worry as my reservation was still there with the Costco coupon applied.

So I just did Alamo online check in and skip the counter for pick up tomorrow. The Alamo reservation is charging me $9 more than my Costco agreement. I called Alamo and got a not so friendly rep that told me any time you book through a 3rd party and you try to skip the counter they will charge you more. I know that not to be true as I have done this several times in the past few years. I know it's only $9 but I'm annoyed. She finally told me just to bring the costco agreement with me and have them take it off at the counter because she couldn't help me. o_O

So I just did Alamo online check in and skip the counter for pick up tomorrow. The Alamo reservation is charging me $9 more than my Costco agreement. I called Alamo and got a not so friendly rep that told me any time you book through a 3rd party and you try to skip the counter they will charge you more. I know that not to be true as I have done this several times in the past few years. I know it's only $9 but I'm annoyed. She finally told me just to bring the costco agreement with me and have them take it off at the counter because she couldn't help me. o_O
This happened to me before and I brought it up to them at the counter in the garage and they fixed it right there for me.

Yep I’ve posted this on several rental car threads. If anyone decides to do checkin, it’s not going to work. I wanted to cancel my reservation and can’t even email customer service either. Guess I’m going to have to call. Ive used this coupon in the past. Guessing it expired July 31.

Actually it expires on 12-31-18.. with a ton of fine print..
I used it last year without a hitch. So might be because I DID use it once, or because I have a Costco discount as well. It's good to get the word out. I haven't looked at the other rental posts, that's why I posted it here.

AOPA
Save $30 off your next rental
  • Valid for any size vehicle
  • 5-day minimum, with Saturday night overkeep required
  • coupon valid through 12/31/18
One coupon per Alamo rental and void once redeemed. Discount applies to base rate, which does not include taxes (including VAT), governmentally-authorized or imposed surcharges, license recoupment/air tax recovery and concession recoupment fees, airport and airport facility fees, fuel, one-way rental charge or optional items. Offer is subject to standard rental conditions. Blackout dates may apply. Not valid with any other discount or promotional rate, except your AOPA member discount. Some countries may convert coupon value into local currency. Subject to availability and valid only at participating Alamo locations. 24-Hour advance reservation required. Coupon VOID if bought, bartered or sold for cash. Void where prohibited.

Actually it expires on 12-31-18.. with a ton of fine print..
I used it last year without a hitch. So might be because I DID use it once, or because I have a Costco discount as well. It's good to get the word out. I haven't looked at the other rental posts, that's why I posted it here.

AOPA
Save $30 off your next rental
  • Valid for any size vehicle
  • 5-day minimum, with Saturday night overkeep required
  • coupon valid through 12/31/18
One coupon per Alamo rental and void once redeemed. Discount applies to base rate, which does not include taxes (including VAT), governmentally-authorized or imposed surcharges, license recoupment/air tax recovery and concession recoupment fees, airport and airport facility fees, fuel, one-way rental charge or optional items. Offer is subject to standard rental conditions. Blackout dates may apply. Not valid with any other discount or promotional rate, except your AOPA member discount. Some countries may convert coupon value into local currency. Subject to availability and valid only at participating Alamo locations. 24-Hour advance reservation required. Coupon VOID if bought, bartered or sold for cash. Void where prohibited.

I did see that too. I’ve used it several times in the past, plus both my daughters used it this year. I’ve moved on and am using a $25 coupon now, though I cant cancel my locked up reservation, so will have to call to cancel.

Ressie down to $311 today (8/4) for a midsize SUV thru Alamo, dates 8/9 thru 8/18. I had a reservation using the AOPA code as well ($30 off), but that one seems to be stuck in their system and was more than what I locked in today using our BJ's code and the AD2823JAZ code to save another $25. Not sure if I actually have to cancel the reservation with the AOPA code (the one with the now invalid coupon code) since when I try to cancel it on their site, it goes no where.

EDIT: If I just log in with my "Alamo Insiders" creds, I get the same price for the same dates as if I use our BJ's membership info (both $311). The difference is using the BJ's code allows for 1 additional driver for free whereas just using the Alamo Insiders creds does not. Both allow for unlimited mileage.

Last edited:
can you share the $30 off discount code? I am also a Bj's member ;)

It seems to no longer be working on the Alamo site, but the code is AD2365FDN. That one is thru AOPA for $30 off. It worked fine for months and now when I try to use it says invalid dates. My dates are 8/9/18 ~ 8/18/18, so definitely not invalid but whatever.

The coupon code that seems to be working fine is the AD2823JAZ for $25 off. I used that one for several years in a row without issues. To get the BJ's discount, I just use the link from the Bj's vacation rental site.

Full Sized Premium SUV (8 seater) CostcoTravel for a week -$492

Just checked Alamo and its over $700 for the same period

Can you please post the outcome when you get a chance... I'm booked through Costco too (right now)

I've had this happen before with my Costco reservation. I simply showed them my reservation total, and they adjusted it at the counter/check in to the price I was quoted. No big deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter