Blackfish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the Anderson Cooper discussion again after watching Blackfish. My big takeaway from the discussion is Jack Hannah is a big blowhard wanker that is obviously on Sea Worlds payroll and really doesn't give a crap about these animals.

I couldn't even watch him.

That entire movie was heart breaking. I knew it would be, but wow. I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread but I've been to Sea World San Diego once, and was horrified at how cramped all their enclosures were. I'm not anti zoo or aquarium, but the Mirage in Las Vegas gives their animals more space than what I saw in 2002. I was tempted to bring the kids last year to see a whale show; lets face it they are entertaining; I'm really glad this movie reminded me why we don't go to Sea World. We'll stick to the San Diego zoo when we head that way.

Watched Blackfish last night on CNN.

We had originally planned on going to Sea World Easter break when we are at Univeral. No way in the world do any of us want to go now.

Taking the baby away from it's mother was absolutely heartbreaking.

I watched this on CNN, then watched the Anderson Cooper discussion. In the end I got the impression that Jack Hanna has a greater interest in advocating for the continued profitability of Sea World than he does in advocating for the welfare of animals. He was all about the importance of creating the opportunity for people to experience an up close glimpse of these animals and thereby gaining up close access to the money in their pockets. The goal according to what I can tell is to get money for "research". Yeah, right....money for bigger, better advertising...which leads to mor money.

I'll not be taking my family to see the circus performers at Sea World.

Do you need to resort to such bad language to get your point across?

ford family

Bad language? Blowhard? Wanker? Crap? What word do you find the most offensive? Good thing you weren't in the room with me last night! I personally found Jack Hannah's words offensive and insulting.

Bad language? Blowhard? Wanker? Crap? What word do you find the most offensive? Good thing you weren't in the room with me last night! I personally found Jack Hannah's words offensive and insulting.

If they were with me watching the Jack Hannah's crap, they would have passed out! I don't know much about him, but yeesh, what a douche.

Seaworld has had dozens of opportunities to give their side of the story and try to defend their actions.

Stop the madness! This is all about money. Until people stop buying tickets to this fake, orchestrated show Seaworld will continue to do what they do. I dont know what they do with respect to helping injured animals but this is not the issue here, they want the public to believe that these animals they have captured and taught them to jump hoops, throw balls and splash the crowd is somehow important for us to know or experience! Shame on them! Shame on the people who continue to support this "show". I for one would not take my children to see such a sad sad situation of captured animals in a tank. Set them free, its the right thing to do. STOP BUYING TICKETS maybe they will have no choice but to shut it down. If you want your children to learn about whales or dolphins, they can pick up a book...many biologists have studied these animals in the wild where they belong, in their natural habitat.

I watched Blackfish last night (but did not see the Anderson Cooper discussion after). It was very intense and so sad. No way would I ever go to a Sea World again! I haven't been to one for many many years, but still, never ever again.

Here are some figures CNN released from their poll:
When asked if they would take their children to Sea World:
Before airing Blackfish 61% No. 39% yes
After airing Blackfish. 84% No. 16% yes

They did not indicate the margin of error or the number polled but those figures indicate progress to me.
I wonder what Sea World's action plan is since they refused to participate in any discussion and only distributed a lame press release.

Sad documentary, and it is certainly hard to be objective after seeing it, however, I believe that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Hanna's point, that we would be less sensitive to the plight of cetaceans, if it weren't for places like SeaWorld is probably true. They brought us sea life that we would never see in the wild and gave us an opportunity to witness their intelligence. They have also saved the lives of cetaceans and studying them in captivity does provide an opportunity that we would never had without the commercial interests of places like Sea World. Clearly, the captive orcas are the sacrificial animals in the effort. Ticket buyers will have to decide if the cost of captivity is worth it. I can see both sides and appreciate them.

Sad documentary, and it is certainly hard to be objective after seeing it, however, I believe that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Hanna's point, that we would be less sensitive to the plight of cetaceans, if it weren't for places like SeaWorld is probably true. They brought us sea life that we would never see in the wild and gave us an opportunity to witness their intelligence. They have also saved the lives of cetaceans and studying them in captivity does provide an opportunity that we would never had without the commercial interests of places like Sea World. Clearly, the captive orcas are the sacrificial animals in the effort. Ticket buyers will have to decide if the cost of captivity is worth it. I can see both sides and appreciate them.

I believe that it is absurd to think that in order to care for the well-being of Orcas and other animals, you have to see them in person.

There are documentaries, movies and all kind of media today which can let us learn about animals without removing from their environment. I've never been to Seaworld, never seen an orca live, and care very much for these magnificent creatures.

There's no need to torture them in order to help them.

I love Orcas. They are so beautiful that I tear up every time I see videos or pictures of them. I don't think any new whales, dolphins, porpoises, etc should be put in captivity. However, I don't think those that are currently in captivity can be set free. They wouldn't be able to survive. They would be disoriented and scared, struggling to fend for themselves until they died a premature death. If I had billions of dollars I would build huge sea pens for all of them where they could swim in straight lines, dive deep, hunt for fish naturally in the water, but still be fed if they needed supplemental nutrition. I would keep educated trainers there to monitor the animals, and to interact with the animal as if the animal initiates it (I do believe there is a relationship there and that some of the animals would miss the trainers they have seen daily for years). They could live out the rest of there days in their sea pen retirement home.

I believe that it is absurd to think that in order to care for the well-being of Orcas and other animals, you have to see them in person.

There are documentaries, movies and all kind of media today which can let us learn about animals without removing from their environment. I've never been to Seaworld, never seen an orca live, and care very much for these magnificent creatures.

There's no need to torture them in order to help them.

That's you, that is not everyone. Orcas at one time were used for target practice, so obviously there was a significant number of the "unenlightened". People who want to learn watch documentaries and movies focused on that. Many others watch pablum TV and occasionally go to Sea World where they indeed learn something that changes their thinking. Torture is a strong word. I believe that the trainers love the animals in their care and put their welfare first. I believe Sea World places a high value on the physical welfare of their animals, if only to protect their investment. Would they individually be better off in the wild? Of course. Would the species be better off if their were never studied or seen up close and personal? That remains unanswered.

That's you, that is not everyone. Orcas at one time were used for target practice, so obviously there was a significant number of the "unenlightened". People who want to learn watch documentaries and movies focused on that. Many others watch pablum TV and occasionally go to Sea World where they indeed learn something that changes their thinking. Torture is a strong word. I believe that the trainers love the animals in their care and put their welfare first. I believe Sea World places a high value on the physical welfare of their animals, if only to protect their investment. Would they individually be better off in the wild? Of course. Would the species be better off if their were never studied or seen up close and personal? That remains unanswered.

I don't believe that's just me, I truly believe most people feel the same way. As for the "unenlightened", well I wouldn't use that word to describe them, they just don't care for the animals; and yes, they will continue to exist, with or without Seaworld

I don't believe that's just me, I truly believe most people feel the same way. As for the "unenlightened", well I wouldn't use that word to describe them, they just don't care for the animals; and yes, they will continue to exist, with or without Seaworld

I believe "most people" don't think about it. I believe many people making their first trip to the Orlando area will go to Sea World. When the parks are empty, even if and when they slash tickets prices, I will believe that "most people" agree with you. When people are forced to think about it and asked an opinion, they will side with the orcas, but that won't necessarily change behavior. There was one woman in Blackfish that seemed to have a season's pass and went and observed Tillikum every day. She obviously cares for him but spent money in order to do that. I do notice that there is no shortage of "swim with the dolphins" attractions at some very nice resorts in and out of the United States. Orcas are essentially very large dolphins with the same intelligence and feelings. These wouldn't exist if no one was buying tickets.

I believe "most people" don't think about it. I believe many people making their first trip to the Orlando area will go to Sea World. When the parks are empty, even if and when they slash tickets prices, I will believe that "most people" agree with you. When people are forced to think about it and asked an opinion, they will side with the orcas, but that won't necessarily change behavior. There was one woman in Blackfish that seemed to have a season's pass and went and observed Tillikum every day. She obviously cares for him but spent money in order to do that. I do notice that there is no shortage of "swim with the dolphins" attractions at some very nice resorts in and out of the United States. Orcas are essentially very large dolphins with the same intelligence and feelings. These wouldn't exist if no one was buying tickets.

But really, what percentage of the population does visit Sea World or swims with Dolphins? Probably a really, really small percentage. Way, way more people can be reached with documentaries and such.

I believe that Blackfish will do more for Orcas than Sea World could ever do. I hope there are more efforts to educate people on what those places are really like for the animals. There is already a growing number of people who will never visit Sea World after watching Blackfish. The more people are aware of the Orcas living conditions, the less visitors will Sea World and those places will receive. It may take some time, but I hope it happens

I can't talk for Sea World or any other zoo or aquarium, but I know our local zoo here tries hard to take in animals that have an issue that hurts their survival in the wilderness. Then any offspring born to them in captivity are also the next generation. For example, they had a blind sea lion. Sadly it passed away from a form of cancer in July.
And with todays technology, anyone can post any place in a bad light. Some guy secretly taped Disneyworld and Disneyland and from what I've read his intentions were to post them in a negative light. He stated he wants to debunk the "magical hype" that people have for the parks....... But like I told my wife, if he wants to see Disney in a negative light, that's what he'll see cause it's what he wants. We love that magic and so it's what we hold onto when we go.

Another opportunity to watch Blackfish tonight on CNN at 7:00pm and tomorrow at 9:00pm.
If you have not already seen it I highly recommend the documentary "The Cove". I think it's a bit more difficult to watch but truly exposes the cetacean captivity business.

Another opportunity to watch Blackfish tonight on CNN at 7:00pm and tomorrow at 9:00pm.
If you have not already seen it I highly recommend the documentary "The Cove". I think it's a bit more difficult to watch but truly exposes the cetacean captivity business.

Oh my God the Cove breaks my heart. The people in that documentary who dedicate their lives to try and help save these dolphins from this unimaginable slaughter. God Bless them for their work.

As humans we are selfish when it comes to wanting to see, touch and understand these amazing creatures but we need to let them be and not put ourselves before what is best for these animals. I don't deny that the orcas have a relationship with their trainers and i truly believe their trainers love them and take care of them but the SeaWorld organization is wrong for putting both creature and man together; as humans these trainers are compelled to fall in love with them because the animal has proven its ability to show affection, understanding and return the love but all of that does not mean we should continue to keep them captive its downright selfish and money hungry SeaWorld needs to put a stop to it.

I always thought that Sea World makes money to help save other animals. Sales ticket, merchandise etc... but i guess i was wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter