• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Breastfeeding an older baby at WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.
LuluLovesDisney said:
I would be a little surprised to see it in places like Bistro de Paris or California Grill, where the atmosphere is deliberately fancier. To me, it's like church or something- formal, I guess.

I have not nursed at Bistro de Paris or California Grill, but I have nursed at church. Let's face it -- Mary didn't use a Playtex Nurser to feed Jesus.

I just can't imagine a child in grade school still breastfeeding. And I am pro-breast feeding! Nursed both my babes :)

One of the most curious things I have run across on the DIS.. not just on this thread but on Gay Days threads, threads about the existence of Santa or whether there is a person inside the Mickey suit or whatever, is a few parents who worry about their kids asking questions about something or having to explain something. I have to admit, I just don't get it. The opportunity to explain something to a child, no matter what age, is one of the great joys and challenges of parenting. Thank God they are aware of and curious of the world around them. Questions are teaching opportunities... and those questions are going to come sooner or later, so be ready to think on your feet. We live in the middle of the city in all its humanity, so questions like "why are those men holding hands," "what is that baby doing", "how did that lady get a baby in her tummy" "Is Mickey Mouse real" are a real joy compared to "why is that man sleeping on the street" "Who is that woman on the subway screaming at", etc., but each of them I have to be prepared to answer, to teach, and pass on our value system. Finding the age appropriate explanation can be a challenge, certainly, but it is one I believe it is our job to be up to.

I just wanted to add that I agree with others that it's no big deal if my DDs see a breastfeeding mom and quite easy to explain. Having to explain what they are seeing doesn't bother me in the least!

I don't get that issue either. Yes, there are some issues I don't want to explain yet to my little girls (sex maybe) but breastfeeding ain't one of them! ;)

I don't mind explaining to my child about breastfeeding. It's natural and I did it with both of mine. I think it would be a little odd to see a child in grade school doing it, and that would make for an interesting discussion I'm sure. Why not let them still have a paci and sleep in a crib at that age?

traci said:
I don't mind explaining to my child about breastfeeding. It's natural and I did it with both of mine. I think it would be a little odd to see a child in grade school doing it, and that would make for an interesting discussion I'm sure. Why not let them still have a paci and sleep in a crib at that age?

Too funny! You and I posted at the exact same time, the exact same issue!

traci said:
I just can't imagine a child in grade school still breastfeeding. And I am pro-breast feeding! Nursed both my babes :)

Well it is highly unusual in the United States. That's why it shows up on Dr Phil. I was a long term nurser (35 months) and I can't imagine it either. I wanted to wean at 24, however, the strong-willed shorty I was feeding did not agree. :sunny:

Thanks for the help! :sunny:

I am going to the library sometime this weekend, so I'll see what they have in stock. I'm pretty anti-chemical, so that's what sparked my interest. Thanks for explaining, I do appreciate it! :goodvibes

traci said:

I don't think bfing gradeschoolers is a big problem in the US. Most women, who even attempt to bf quit in the first few weeks after birth. Sure there are some who bf longer into the preschool years and beyond, but that is still in the range of human biological normal .(not cultural or social normal) And don't there would be much need to bf a 6 year old in a public place, it would be a morning or bedtime thing by that time.

For the general public: cue-fed bfing and baby-led weaning is NOT going to cause you to end up bfing a 10 year old! LOL! That is so rare it is not even worth having in a dicussion in which the OP is bfing a 15 month old BABY! That is sensationalism and not a realistic picture of bfing.

GEM said:
Hey BlsdMama -

My little buddy was a micropreemie, too! He was 1lb and 7oz. That's him in my signature picture.

I have absolutely no doubt that the fact he got only breastmilk in the hospital (and beyond) is one of the main reasons he has done so well - and all his doctors and nurses agree.

When he was born the hospital staff told me, without mincing words, that his chances would be much better if he got breastmilk, and that if we fed him formula we would be putting him at more risk from lung problems, digestive problems, infections, etc. I was already sold on breastfeeding, but that's all I needed to hear to seal my decision even more. I pumped for him round the clock until he was strong enough to nurse, and then I worked with him for weeks teaching him to latch on and nurse. By the time he left the hospital 83 days later (at only 3lbs 14oz) , he was nursing for all his feeds.

Now, at more than two years old, he's never had a sick doctor's visit - no colds, no tummy troubles, no ear problems, nothing! We have a baby thermometer that is still in a box, never even been opened. Now, for an average baby, that's pretty amazing - but for a micropreemie it's almost impossible to believe. They told us when he came home that 90% of their preemies have to be readmitted to the hospital during the first year for lung problems, etc. Even a simple cold could have easily landed him back in the ICU. He's not had bit of trouble, though. So, I do believe very strongly in the amazing powers of breastmilk.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that story with someone else who's been there! :grouphug:

I've seen your little guy in a lot of your posts, and I think he's an absolute miracle. My daugther was born at 26 weeks and weighed 2 1/2 pounds. Breastfeeding was not something my mother did. I was not exposed to it much other than an aunt. I was not comfortable doing it, and I didn't want my husband to miss out on the bonding that you do while you are feeding a child. So, I had decided long before I had children that I was not going to breast feed. So, even when my daughter was born, I didn't change my mind. It wasn't until we'd been in the hospital about three weeks that I noticed that every other mother in that NICU was breastfeeding, and that's no lie. I approached my doctor about it, and he said that even if I was BF they would have to suppliment it with something else. It was like with formula. We couldn't give her regular formula. We had to get cans that cost $28 a can. So, they assured me that I wasn't harming my daughter by not breastfeeding. And, while I'm sure the hospital we went to is not the best in the country, it is one of the top in the midwest.

My daughter is now almost 8 years old. She just started the 3rd grade yesterday. To look at her you'd never know she was a preemie. We were told in the hospital that there would be good days and bad days. We were told that the bad days would set us back quite a bit. In seven weeks that we were in the hospital she had one bad day. She did not get sick until she was 1 1/2 years old and that was a cold she caught from the church nursery. She's never been seriously ill. She has no vision problems. She has no learning disabilities. In fact, she is extremely smart. She skipped a grade.

I'd like to think that the reason that she did so well is that for those 49 days when she was in the hospital, I was there for 49 days with her. The nurses were involved with none of her care that they didn't have to be. The little girl that was right next to my daughter was BF for quite awhile. She has vision problems. She got sick in the hospital. She got sick out of the hospital. She had learning disabilities, and was behind on everything.

I'm not arguing with you. I'm just share my story, too.

And, to the original discussion. I am not comfortable with breast feeding. Sorry, I didn't grow up around it, and it's not in my area. However, it doesn't bother me to see someone breastfeeding. I don't like to see it all hanging out. I know it can be done discreetly. I would think that BF mothers would want to do it in public because our society needs to change opinions about BF. However, I would think that they would also want to be a bit private about it, because of what our society has done to breasts. Believe me, men don't buy Playboy so they can think back to the days when their mother breastfed them.

Madi100 said:
I've seen your little guy in a lot of your posts, and I think he's an absolute miracle. My daugther was born at 26 weeks and weighed 2 1/2 pounds. Breastfeeding was not something my mother did. I was not exposed to it much other than an aunt. I was not comfortable doing it, and I didn't want my husband to miss out on the bonding that you do while you are feeding a child. So, I had decided long before I had children that I was not going to breast feed. So, even when my daughter was born, I didn't change my mind. It wasn't until we'd been in the hospital about three weeks that I noticed that every other mother in that NICU was breastfeeding, and that's no lie. I approached my doctor about it, and he said that even if I was BF they would have to suppliment it with something else. It was like with formula. We couldn't give her regular formula. We had to get cans that cost $28 a can. So, they assured me that I wasn't harming my daughter by not breastfeeding. And, while I'm sure the hospital we went to is not the best in the country, it is one of the top in the midwest.

My daughter is now almost 8 years old. She just started the 3rd grade yesterday. To look at her you'd never know she was a preemie. We were told in the hospital that there would be good days and bad days. We were told that the bad days would set us back quite a bit. In seven weeks that we were in the hospital she had one bad day. She did not get sick until she was 1 1/2 years old and that was a cold she caught from the church nursery. She's never been seriously ill. She has no vision problems. She has no learning disabilities. In fact, she is extremely smart. She skipped a grade.

I'd like to think that the reason that she did so well is that for those 49 days when she was in the hospital, I was there for 49 days with her. The nurses were involved with none of her care that they didn't have to be. The little girl that was right next to my daughter was BF for quite awhile. She has vision problems. She got sick in the hospital. She got sick out of the hospital. She had learning disabilities, and was behind on everything.

I'm not arguing with you. I'm just share my story, too.

And, to the original discussion. I am not comfortable with breast feeding. Sorry, I didn't grow up around it, and it's not in my area. However, it doesn't bother me to see someone breastfeeding. I don't like to see it all hanging out. I know it can be done discreetly. I would think that BF mothers would want to do it in public because our society needs to change opinions about BF. However, I would think that they would also want to be a bit private about it, because of what our society has done to breasts. Believe me, men don't buy Playboy so they can think back to the days when their mother breastfed them.

I'm in no way trying to flame you at all, i can't begin to imagine what it could be like to have a premie, ect. But surely you arne't saying that BF is just as good a Formula right??? I mean sudies on top of studies say that BREASTFEEDING a premie can help her out Much more then formula, and as always there are exceptions as you said your dd is just fine and that is GREAT! :) But if they didn't think Breastmilk was better they wouldn't have Breastmilk donation banks poping up all over the country to help out with thoes premies who's moms can't BF them all on thier own supply. I'm just stating facts in no way and i'm saying your story isn't less imortant or heart touching....

kidshop said:
:rotfl: obvious you don't anything about babies and their development into the toddler years. The immunity from the mother wears off at about 6 months of age.

Actually, that's not true... common misconception. Children actually receive immunological benefits as long as they are nursed. Adults take colostrum tablets to improve overall health. Our bodies make antibodies to whatever we're exposed to. The babies get a bit of this from nursing. It doesn't matter if they are three months old or 6.
They understand that breastfeeding an infant is medically proven to be healthier then formula feeding, however when babies begin to grow teeth (aorund 4-6 months) it is sort of natures way of saying it is time to move on to solid foods.
Actually, if you do a little more medical research you'll find that a baby getting teeth that early is generally a result of our anti-breastfeeding culture. Babies that are breastfed, generally, get their teeth later than formula fed babies. Oh, I KNOW! 20 people are now going to jump in here and say that their kid didn't get teeth til he was 3.5yo and he was formula fed... but I'm speaking to statistics.

Absolutely, teeth is a sign that they are ready to BEGIN solids. However, it is not a sign to hurry up and stuff as much solids down them as we can in order to get them off the ****. You don't stop formula feeding at six months when they get teeth, right?

Bottom line, ***I*** don't like to see moms nursing non-discreetly. I don't want to see someone else's nipple and I'm perfectly comfortable nursing! I'm just discreet. I do not want to accidently flash a 10yo boy. I do *not* nurse with a blanket, because my poor baby would be hot and sweaty and wouldn't stay latched. Trust me when I say I'm more discreet WITHOUT a blanket than with.

I see no problems with a 3yo nursing. Personally, I can't picture nursing a 4 or 5yo. But, six years ago I would have told you that I *never* would have nursed a 2 year old. It is pure science fiction that you should not be nursing your toddler. The World Health Organization has advocated nursing until [bold] at least [/bold] age two. They don't have an "agenda." They are attempting to improve the health and welfare of little people.

This is a story that is absolutely true. My mother never breastfed either, and I never saw anyone do it in our social circles when I grew up in the 70s. BUT when I was about seven I was at a theme park, might have been the Magic Kindgom and it might have been Six Flags, probably the latter, and we were on the train and there was a hippie lady nursing her baby, and she was "letting it hang out" in the way that would surely shock many on this thread. She had the top unbuttoned from the top and was feeding baby. Now of course my inital reaction was wow ****ies, but either someone told me or I figured out right away the baby was eating. And I'll tell you, I don't know if that did it, but I always knew if I had a baby I would breastfeed. There was never any will I or won't I... seeing that just made it look like the most natural thing in the world. Made a big impression on me. I just thought... wow, cool! The human body is an amazing thing.

Of course I was a highly impressionable child. :rotfl2: The All in the Family where Gloria has drug-free childbirth was also a big deal, and I always knew I would also go drug free... except.... I didn't! I tried but both times after 36 hours of labor something had to give! :rotfl: But that's a different debate!

becca011906 said:
I'm in no way trying to flame you at all, i can't begin to imagine what it could be like to have a premie, ect. But surely you arne't saying that BF is just as good a Formula right??? I mean sudies on top of studies say that BREASTFEEDING a premie can help her out Much more then formula, and as always there are exceptions as you said your dd is just fine and that is GREAT! :) But if they didn't think Breastmilk was better they wouldn't have Breastmilk donation banks poping up all over the country to help out with thoes premies who's moms can't BF them all on thier own supply. I'm just stating facts in no way and i'm saying your story isn't less imortant or heart touching....

No, I am not saying formla is just as good. I'm saying that the results can be just as good, and BF is not the only way of bonding. I saw a lot while my DD was in the hospital. I saw one little girl who thrived when her mother was around. A couple days after her mom went home to take care of her other children, the little girl would take a turn for the worse, and they'd call her to tell her they didn't think she was going to make it. The mom rushed back to love her baby before she died, and she turned around and got better. It happened three times.

I was actually just sharing my story. And to give perspective from a preemie mom who did not BF, and I don't feel like I was horrible mother because of it. Being bottle fed does not mean you were abused. I realize that nowhere in the seven days of creation does it state that God made a bottle. There are a lot of things in this world that were SUPPOSED to be one way or the other. There are ways that are best for a lot of things. If we were to go and do things the way they should be done there would be a lot of things in this world that would have to change. We all choose our passions. It is different for everybody. We just all need to respect those choices whatever they are.

BlsdMama said:
Actually, that's not true... common misconception. Children actually receive immunological benefits as long as they are nursed. Adults take colostrum tablets to improve overall health. Our bodies make antibodies to whatever we're exposed to. The babies get a bit of this from nursing. It doesn't matter if they are three months old or 6.

Sorry I didn't word that better. IF a baby is not bf, the immunities from the mother wear off at around 6 months. And yes, bfing provides beneficial immunities for as long as it continues.

Bird-Mom said:
I hope all you mamas who are so afraid of a little skin keep you older children locked up in the summer. Do not ever let them go to the pool or beach. :rolleyes1 There are so many clothes that reveal far more belly and breast than NIP does.

I live in an area that is very BF friendly, I see nursing moms every day, and I have yet to see this Mythical Woman who exposes all.

Seriously, what are you afraid of?

I see so much ignorance here that I am truly disgusted.

There is so much talk here about making choices that are right for your family and asking for other's respct. Well how about some tolerance? I do lots of things that I am sure would have mainstream parents in a tizzy, but that is how I have chosen to raise my babies. I will make no apologies for my parenting and health philosophy.

I still will NIP where and whenever my dd wants. I try to be discreet, but I have a wriggly toddler. Call me inconsiderate because I really, truly do not care if I offend you. I don't know how feeding your baby or child can be offensive. How would the bottlefeeders feel if I asked you to put that bottle away because I don't want my children to see it?

There is no magical day when baby/child does not need a breast. And no one here can make that decision for another family. Teeth have nothing to do with it. Babies do not have their mom's immunities for the first year. Antibodies do come from breastfeeding as long as it continues. If you have not nursed or extended nursed, you have no idea how it works and what other things BF is good for than nutrition.

I am very sad that my girls are growing up in a world where so much ignorance and intolerance might affect their choice to do what is natural for their babies. Hopefully I am providing them with the tools to have the self-confidence to overcome nasty attitudes as exhibited here.

Well said, bravo!! :)

I agree with you and I've said it before, the ignorance from some is simply astounding.

The facts are simple - breastmilk is the superior form of nutrition, and laws in this country protect a woman's right to breastfeed in public.

I remember putting a copy of the breastfeeding laws in my state in my diaper bag the first time I NIP...I was that scared that someone would approach me!

Looking back, I think that it's sad that I felt like I had to do that.

Blsdmama: That research is so interesting about BF and teeth! I guess that would explain why my DD got her teeth later than some babies. I'd like to read more about that!

grlzmom said:
First, to the original poster. Go, nurse your baby and have a wonderful time at Disney!!

I am mom to seven, six of whom have been nursed and all self weaned before 12 months, including a set of premature twins. I am a nurse and my husband is an md, and it is a fact that the nutritional content if breast milk is superior to formula. And, there are definately reasons (allergies, diabetes, etc.) for women to nurse their babies well through their toddler years.

However, I don't agree that breastfeeding is always the best choice for every mom and baby. I also don't agree that the bond between breastfed babies and moms is any better or different than bottle fed babies and moms. My oldest daughter who was bottlefed exclusively loves and is loved as much as her siblings.

I think that moms who choose to breastfeed OR bottlefeed should be supported in their decision, one way or another. It is a personal decision, not that of the public at large. Moms who choose to nurse should be encouraged and supported in doing that where they are comfortable, not made to hide because someone else might be uncomfortable with a baby being nursed in public. And, moms who choose to bottle feed should not be harrassed because they chose not to breastfeed for whatever reason. They are both moms nuturing their babies, just doing it in different ways, doing what is best for them.

Being a mom is hard enough without others criticizing our choices. My friends and I who are all on COMPLETELY different paths of parenthood try to be SUPPORTIVE when we can and QUIET when we can't. It works really well :goodvibes

And, we have totally found that simple explanations work best when having to explain something to our children that they might not have seen before. Children take in alot from their parents. If we don't make a huge deal out of it, they wont either.

Oh my gosh!!! :banana:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!! :cloud9:

That is the BEST thing I have read on this thread. Very true. Very elgolantly stated. You deserve all the :wizard: magic and blessings in this world.

Madi100,

I think it is wonderful that your little girl has done so well - an I have no doubt that you are a huge part of that! Don't get me wrong about that.

I spent all 83 days with Paul in the NICU and have since spent many, many days volunteering with moms and preemies in the hospital where he was born, and I run a preemie parents support group. I've seen lots of formula fed preemies do great and I've seen lots of breastfed preemies have it rough - and vice versa.

The facts still show, though, that preemies who get even just some breastmilk do much better, as a general rule. The fact is that preemie breastmilk is totally different from full-term baby breastmilk. A mom's body knows she has had her baby early and makes milk that is especially designed for a tiny, sick baby's needs. The chances of a baby developing NEC (a potentially fatal bowel problem) are greatly reduced if they get breastmilk, and there are tons of other examples. Formula just can't duplicate that. I am not, and never would, say you are a bad mother for choosing not to breastfeed, or for not being able to. For a preemie mom, especially it is a very long and difficult road, and not everyone wants to do that or can do that - and that's fine.

That doesn't negate the fact, though, that mom's breastmilk has major, major benefits for a premature or sick baby. It's just a medical fact - and one that has tons of research and experience behind it. It doesn't mean it's going to be the determining factor in how every baby does, but it does mean that most babies will be greatly benefitted by getting their mother's milk. Most NICUs will absolutely go out of their way to do everything they can to help their preemie moms provide milk, because they feel it is so very important. I honestly can't imagine any neo-natal doctors or nurses saying it wasn't. And, while it's true that most moms in the NICU do try pumping milk, very few of them continue past the first few weeks, and only about 2% go on to breastfeed successfully after they are released from the hospital. So, we still have a long way to go with education and support in that area.

I'm glad your little girl is doing well! Those little ones are tough, aren't they?

For the record, I was formula fed and I think I'm a well rounded, happy, healthy, emotionally stable person - as are all my siblings. I was born in the 70s, and breastfeeding just wasn't done then. Formula was the thing to do. Oddly, though, my mom has been one of my greatest supporters when it comes to breastfeeding Paul. She has never criticized when I fed him, or how long, etc. She's never asked when he's going to wean or anything like that. She was there in the hospital with me during most of his time in the NICU and she heard time and again from the doctors and nurses how important it was, so she was sold! Also, she sort of figures she doesn't know much about it, so when I say it's fine to nurse in public and it's great for toddlers to still be nursing, she just says, "ok". There are certainly no hard feelings because she didn't breastfeed any of us or anything like that.

dadtoagirl said:
Simple solution, don't flop them out in public!!

(OK, I replied with a one-liner earlier, but I need to respond more completely now that I have time...)

You seem to have missed my point. I am not the one being made uncomfortable by the act of breastfeeding. I don't need a solution. As I mentioned, I've never "flopped them out in public", as you so eloquently put it :rolleyes2:, but even if I did, why is it my job to find a solution for other people's issues? If someone is uncomfortable watching, they ought to stop watching, just as they would stop watching anything else occuring in public that made them uncomfortable. Why are breastfeeding moms expected to take such pains to keep those around them comfortable, when other people aren't?

I think being intolerant goes both ways as this thread clearly illustrates. I see nothing wrong with all people, whatever their beliefs, being as comfortable as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter