Breastfeeding an older baby at WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goobergal99 said:
All you managed to do here was quote the AAP policy on BREASTFEEDING! It is going to be biased because it is supportive of breast feeding. Therefore I really don't care what it states.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

So, if the American Cancer Society puts out material explaining why smoking is bad for you, would you also not care about that? After all, it's biased, because they oppose smoking!

I learned in Nursing school as well as from DD's pediatrican that a child carries it's mothers immunity up to one year of age.

In your defense, I recall reading information such as this, as well (although I can't remember where so I can't provide a link). What I read, however, came to a totally different conclusion. Although a baby is born with it's mother's immunities, they wear off over time, if not kept up by breastfeeding. Similarly, a baby will never receive the immunities it's mother acquires after it's birth, if it is not breastfed. Note that your info says "up to" one year of age. That mean "at most", and means most babies carry most of these immunities for much less time than that. What I read concluded that breastmilk is indeed important, but if a mom is unable to, she can take some comfort in knowing the child will have some of her immunities for some early portion of it's life.

Funny how (what I'm guessing is) the same info can be interpreted so differently.

GEM said:
No, what you said was that a baby carries immunity from it's mother for one year - and that is incorrect.

Gem, thanks for correcting this, babies DO NOT carry their mothers immunities (passive) for one year, that is totally false info. There are some that last for a month, some that last for three to six months. It really varies. That is one reason babies start getting their shots by two months, so they can develop their own immunities.

goobergal99, I am surprised that you are wondering why some women breastfeed for so long. As a health professional, you should have easy access to facts regarding this. There are several medical reasons children may be breastfed through their toddler years, including severe allergies and diabetes.

grlzmom said:
Gem, thanks for correcting this, babies DO NOT carry their mothers immunities (passive) for one year, that is totally false info. There are some that last for a month, some that last for three to six months. It really varies. That is one reason babies start getting their shots by two months, so they can develop their own immunities.

goobergal99, I am surprised that you are wondering why some women breastfeed for so long. As a health professional, you should have easy access to facts regarding this. There are several medical reasons children may be breastfed through their toddler years, including severe allergies and diabetes.

I am not the only healthcare professional who feels this way, children need to develop their own immunities. I don't understand why women breastfeed past the infancy stage and I am entitled to ? the reasons.

BTW, I am not a maternity nurse and only did one 3 month clinical rotation in maternity and it was mixed up with peds as well. I do not claim to know everything there is to know about breastfeeding.

Goobergal99 said:
I am not the only healthcare professional who feels this way, children need to develop their own immunities. I don't understand why women breastfeed past the infancy stage and I am entitled to ? the reasons.

BTW, I am not a maternity nurse and only did one 3 month clinical rotation in maternity and it was mixed up with peds as well. I do not claim to know everything there is to know about breastfeeding.

This is a blurb from Gems's link:

"I have heard that the immunologic factors in breastmilk prevent the baby from developing his own immunity if I breastfeed past six months.

This is untrue; in fact, this is absurd. It is unbelievable how so many people in our society twist around the advantages of breastfeeding and turn them into disadvantages. We give babies immunizations so that they are able to defend themselves against the real infection. Breastmilk also allows the baby to be fight off infections. When the baby fights off these infections, he becomes immune. Naturally."

And :"Breastmilk still contains factors that help the immune system to mature, and which help the brain, gut, and other organs to develop and mature."

How is breastmilk different (immunity wise) than an immunization? Why do we have a vaccination schedule if kids must develop their "own" immunities? (I am aware of those who choose not to vaccinate and I support their right for their children)

You don't understand why woman bf beyond infancy b/c you don't know (and don't want to know) anything abuut bfing and it's effects on a baby.

There is a woeful lack of education in the medical community regarding bf. Many of the people that should be the most informed, since they are the ones that parents go to for advice, routinely give out errounous and outdated information regarding bf.

Bf doesn't just pass on immunities to a child while they are being bf. Bf also helps protect a child in the long term from many health issues. Allergies, diabetes, heart conditions, cancer, asthma, obeisity, etc. Bf also reduces the mothers risk of certain conditions such as breast cancer, ovarian cancer, osteoperosis, etc. It is a fallacy that children that do not seem to get sick often do not build up immunities. As long as children are exposed to germs, they will build up immunity. Bf kids also don't get as sick as non-bf kids. I would much rather not end up in the hospital with a bad bout of RSV.

Goobergal99 said:
I am not the only healthcare professional who feels this way, children need to develop their own immunities.

So, which is it?

Breastfeeding doesn't offer any immunity that the baby didn't already get from the mother anyway, so it has no real impact -

or

Breastfeeding provides so much immunity that it prevents kids from developing their own immune systems.

Don't get me wrong, both are false, but I don't know how you can claim to believe both statments. I'm just honestly confused.

Goobergal99 said:

So, what you're saying is that you feel that breastfeeding actually INTERFERES with a child's ability to develop an immunity by keeping them artificially healthy? Are you serious?

If you've ever studied logic, you'll know that things can appear logical when in actuality they are complete fallacy. What you've set up here is a fallacy based on a faulty appeal to authority. You mention you're a nurse and it gives you credibility. You did not mention that you haven't studied anything on infancy/pediatrics in a number of years and, therefore, are probably not as up to date on recent findings. While many stay at home moms can not lend themselves credibility solely based on their chosen occupation, they may truly be experts in the field.

By the way, most of my "expertise" comes from self education. Sometimes we are too quick to glorify that which can only be taught by "experts." Yes, I am a breastfeeding advocate. I've pumped for my preemie and nursed five other children. As far as being aware of immunological benefits, a stint in the NICU at Loma Linda while our preemie was there was quite the crash course. Beyond that, we have a daughter that has had damage done by immunizations and we've had to educate ourselves on immunology. It's really quite fascinating.

All that aside, you cannot actually be saying that breastmilk is equivalent to formula. It's just not possible. Formula is composed of some truly dreadful things. For one, cow's milk is the #1 allergy in infants. It generally contains wheat as well. That is also high on the list. Many of the oils used to add fats to formula are actual oils that will become transfatty when heated. And, most importantly, breastmilk is not derived from a homogenized, pasteurized source. The ultra high heating (pasteurization) of the milk (main ingredient) kills most everything good and bad. This is why you generally should not heat breastmilk, because it decreases the nutritional and immunological benefits.

There are so **many** things wrong with formula, it's really not funny. As a matter of fact, it's not even remotely amusing. Don't even get me started on soy. I, unfortunately, did have to feed one of my babies formula. I definitely sympathize with those who have to make that choice. It's a hard one to make. Almost every mother does everything she can for her children. Sometimes that includes breastfeeding, sometimes it does not. There are mothers out there and babies out there who simply cannot physically nurse. This is not aimed at ANY of them. I had one!

But, before we get on some vindictive slant of people not nursing in public, we should wonder where that ever came from! One hundred years ago we'd not have thought anything about nursing a baby. It was just matter of fact. You would have been looked at very oddly if you had pulled out a bottle. Your culture, your warning bells, have been triggered by formula companies out to make a few bucks. They aren't much better than a cigarette company. They send home formula with mothers with the intention of helping them fail. It's inherently evil. I'm thankful that they exist as they help those who cannot breastfeed, but other than that they are useless.

BlsdMama said:
So, what you're saying is that you feel that breastfeeding actually INTERFERES with a child's ability to develop an immunity by keeping them artificially healthy? Are you serious?

If you've ever studied logic, you'll know that things can appear logical when in actuality they are complete fallacy. What you've set up here is a fallacy based on a faulty appeal to authority. You mention you're a nurse and it gives you credibility. You did not mention that you haven't studied anything on infancy/pediatrics in a number of years and, therefore, are probably not as up to date on recent findings. While many stay at home moms can not lend themselves credibility solely based on their chosen occupation, they may truly be experts in the field.

By the way, most of my "expertise" comes from self education. Sometimes we are too quick to glorify that which can only be taught by "experts." Yes, I am a breastfeeding advocate. I've pumped for my preemie and nursed five other children. As far as being aware of immunological benefits, a stint in the NICU at Loma Linda while our preemie was there was quite the crash course. Beyond that, we have a daughter that has had damage done by immunizations and we've had to educate ourselves on immunology. It's really quite fascinating.

All that aside, you cannot actually be saying that breastmilk is equivalent to formula. It's just not possible. Formula is composed of some truly dreadful things. For one, cow's milk is the #1 allergy in infants. It generally contains wheat as well. That is also high on the list. Many of the oils used to add fats to formula are actual oils that will become transfatty when heated. And, most importantly, breastmilk is not derived from a homogenized, pasteurized source. The ultra high heating (pasteurization) of the milk (main ingredient) kills most everything good and bad. This is why you generally should not heat breastmilk, because it decreases the nutritional and immunological benefits.

There are so **many** things wrong with formula, it's really not funny. As a matter of fact, it's not even remotely amusing. Don't even get me started on soy. I, unfortunately, did have to feed one of my babies formula. I definitely sympathize with those who have to make that choice. It's a hard one to make. Almost every mother does everything she can for her children. Sometimes that includes breastfeeding, sometimes it does not. There are mothers out there and babies out there who simply cannot physically nurse. This is not aimed at ANY of them. I had one!

But, before we get on some vindictive slant of people not nursing in public, we should wonder where that ever came from! One hundred years ago we'd not have thought anything about nursing a baby. It was just matter of fact. You would have been looked at very oddly if you had pulled out a bottle. Your culture, your warning bells, have been triggered by formula companies out to make a few bucks. They aren't much better than a cigarette company. They send home formula with mothers with the intention of helping them fail. It's inherently evil. I'm thankful that they exist as they help those who cannot breastfeed, but other than that they are useless.

I did not say any of this, do what you will with my statement. What a load of bull. I never said that formula was better or even equivalent of breast feeding. BTW, my lil one was lactose intolerant anyway, so we needed to give her soy milk formula. I guess I am a horrible mother for not trying to force feed my breast to my lactose intolerant child HUH?

Even if I had a future child who I could breast feed, I still wouldn't because it is my choice and your statements are ingnorant and condescending toward those who choose not to breastfeed.

Also, I never said that I had a problemn with ppl breastfeeding in public, I also didnt get upset because Janet jacksons nipple was expelled during super bowl half time. I think I made these statments in earlier posts.

Goobergal99 said:
I don't understand why women breastfeed past the infancy stage and I am entitled to ? the reasons.

I do not claim to know everything there is to know about breastfeeding.

La Leche League has a wealth of information about nursing past the age of one year.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBextended.html

If you've got some time, take a look at some of the articles there. Even if you don't agree with extended nursing for yourself, it might help you understand why some mothers think it is best for their children. You might even change your opinion a little.

Even if you don't work in L&D, you could encounter a nursing mom as a patient anywhere. A supportive nurse could make a lot of difference in perserving the nursing relationship during her hospital stay.

Goobergal99 said:
Even if I had a future child who I could breast feed, I still wouldn't because it is my choice and your statements are ingnorant and condescending toward those who choose not to breastfeed.

QUOTE]

Ignorance implies a lack of knowledge. My statements might have seemed condescending, (they weren't meant that way) but they certainly were not ignorant.

Goobergal99 said:
BTW, my lil one was lactose intolerant anyway, so we needed to give her soy milk formula. I guess I am a horrible mother for not trying to force feed my breast to my lactose intolerant child HUH?

Was she lactose intolerant? Or allergic to milk proteins?

Lactose intolerance in infants is extremely rare. Milk protein intolerance/allergy, however, is not. Lots of moms need to avoid all dairy products while nursing. Some children outgrow this and some don't. I'm sorry if you got poor advice when your baby was little.

Also, nature intended for human babies to drink human milk. Saying that babies need to develop their own immune system WRT breastmilk is like saying they need to watch TV to stimulate their minds. If breastmilk really interfered with the development of a babies immune system, a mother's milk would dry up after 6 months or so. As long as a woman can make milk for her child, it's not going to hurt the child to drink it.

pjupton said:

Lactose intolerance in infants is extremely rare. Milk protein intolerance/allergy, however, is not. Lots of moms need to avoid all dairy products while nursing. Some children outgrow this and some don't. I'm sorry if you got poor advice when your baby was little.

Yup, this was my dd. I couldn't consume any dairy products when I was nursing her, she'd break out in a horrible rash and cry uncontrollably.

pjupton said:

Lactose intolerance in infants is extremely rare. Milk protein intolerance/allergy, however, is not. Lots of moms need to avoid all dairy products while nursing. Some children outgrow this and some don't. I'm sorry if you got poor advice when your baby was little.[/QUOTE

She was allergic to the proteins, I apologize for the misinformation. I like dairy priducts another reason why I would never breast feed my child. I don't think there was anything wrong with the soy milk, she is happy and healthy and the only difference between my soy formula drinking baby and some of the women on this boards breast feeding baby, is that my child drank from a bottle and theres didn't. End of discussion. Sorry if I offended anyone with curiosity.

You certainly didn't offend me with curiosity. I'm never offened when anyone is curious. I am offended by the spread of misinformation, especially by someone who points at her medical background as making her well informed. That's a dangerous thing.

My little guy had problems with milk proteins, too. I had to avoid milk, cheese, ice cream, etc. for the first six months or so - which was horrible because cheese is my favorite food and I LOVE chocolate milk! He did grow out of it before too long and has no problems with any diary now, in his own diet or in mine. :sunny:

First, for the poster that said animals don't bf past infancy, that's not true. If you compare time spent nursing with lifespans and developmental abilities, animals nurse well into what some here call "childhood." Higher order animals, such as apes, chimps, etc. nurse to what would be the human equivalent of six or seven years. There is a biological need for it. Also, kittens are born with teeth, should they never nurse?

For the poster that wondered if bf'ed babies were healthier because their moms stay at home with them, that isn't true. Breastmilk has something like 114 chemical compounds that formula can't duplicate, and many of the nutrients in formula aren't able to be absorbed by a babies digestive system. Also many bf'ing moms do work and pump. I understand that your question wasn't an attack, I'm just answering it. :)

Goobergal- A truly lactose intolerant baby can't drink soy formula either, as there is lactose in it as well. You would have just needed to avoid dairy in your diet.

A side note that improper information given by medical professionals is one of the top reasons the AAP lists for breastfeeding failure. I urge anyone in the medical community not to give any sort of breastfeeding advice unless you really are up to date. I know more than most doctors I've encountered and that's really sad. The misinformation given by posters in this thread that claim to be professionals is a prime example of that.

Goobergal99 said:
However, many women I know, both breastfeeders and bottle feeders alike, disagree with long term breastfeeding. They understand that breastfeeding an infant is medically proven to be healthier then formula feeding, however when babies begin to grow teeth (aorund 4-6 months) it is sort of natures way of saying it is time to move on to solid foods. I don't know if children are meant to be fed in this fashion after infancy, I don't really care either but it sort of seems like nature intends for breastfeeding to stop at that point.
Ok, then what about my niece that was born with a tooth? Should my sil have immediately put her on "real" food?

hopesmommy said:
. However, I am making a very polite request that you do not breast feed where children will notice you. I was at a public pool and my DD saw a woman breastfeeding her son. It was VERY difficult to help her understand and then for her to leave them alone.

First - it isn't polite to request someone NOT feed their child.

Second - it's simple, particularly for children - the baby is breastfeeding. Period. Quite normal for a child to be interested, and I'm fairly certain that a child showing interest in a breastfeeding baby is not an inconvenience (as a nursing mom - who has nursed all four of her kids into toddlerhood). When we have to nurse in public, it has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else but our hungry baby. If there is an interested child (which sometimes there is) we're always happy to say hello and smile - it's the judgemental adults who bother us.

cstraub said:
Everyone here may not know this but in Canada women are allowed to go topless where men are allowed to go topless. How about them apples?????!!!!!! :earseek:

Why shouldn't we be able to? Tell me that!!!
Yeah, what she said! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter