Breastfeeding an older baby at WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.
HLAuburn said:
Slightly off-topic, but I'm wondering if you extended nursers still use nursing bras. I hate them, and I've never used one when going out, but taking your straps off your shoulder is a pain, too. If DD is still nursing when we go to Disney, I'd like to have as "easy access" as possible. ;) Just curious...

We LOVE our Bravado bras. http://www.bravadodesigns.com/
I have the supreme deluxe ones and they're awesome.

totalia said:
Huh? We are? That's new to me. Maybe I should take off my shirt in public tomorrow and run down the street like that. See how long it takes for me to get arrested for indecent exposure. Methinks the cops wouldn't be too pleased.
Yes, but your husband/father/brother could do that if they wanted to. Why is that fair?

faindrops27 said:
I have a question. My daughter is 14 months old.She will be 16 months for our trip. I have been trying to wean her, mainly because of this upcoming trip to disney. Let me say. I am the type of mother who prefers to nurse in private. I am heavy breasted, and I am kind of embaressed to nurse around others. Maybe society. Maybe, family pressures, that baby is to old. Whatever it is I am not that comfortable. With that said. My vacation is with family, friends, and those I would not feel comfortable to be in my presence when I nurse. So, my quesrion is if baby is not fully weaned by october. Are the baby care centers nursing areas private? Or is it just a large room with other nursing mothers? If, it is. I will have to make sure baby is weaned fully by october. TIA

I am large-breasted, too. I suggest a few things - first, nurslings at this age typically nurse first thing in the morning (when you'll be in a hotel), last thing at night (again, hotel) and occasionally if they're really hurt or tired. Maybe not your babe, but mine are usually pretty flexible at this age. Do not feel like you have to wean your babe to go to Disney!! If you want more discreet nursing, try something like www.motherwear.com nursing wear that covers the baby while you're nursing (and you!). Also, there are a lot of private opportunities for nursing - not just mother rooms (never even walked by one that I know of). There are dark rides (it's a small world), out of the way benches (I have DH position himself next to me so no one can tell what's going on), there are even restaurants that are just counter service and have TONS of tables - you can nestle yourself in the corner of, say, Columbia Harbor House and no one would have ANY idea that you weren't just eating lunch with your family. (We eat at the same time, in cases like this). Also, with babies this age you usually stop for a nap halfway through the day - and then you can nurse again in the hotel room.

gepetto said:
you're kidding, right? :earseek: your 3 year old nurses her stuffed animals? that might be frowned on in pre-school.

I seriously doubt it, considering 70% of babies are breastfed now.
MOST parents and children are educated enough to know that breasts are for feeding babies.

My kids always asked what the bottle was for, when they'd get a baby that came with one.

lillygator said:
and remember some of us feel differently I for one, feel breasts are for other things, not nursing! ;)

That's great - perpetuate the male-induced misconception that breasts are for their pleasure. Nevermind that they were CREATED to produce milk and feed children.

Absurd.

lillygator said:
Ok, so what about women who can't or don't have children? What are theirs for? I guess since the only purpose is feeding they should have them removed from their body!!!

Talk about dumb comments - obviously just because a women can't have children doesn't mean their breasts weren't perfectly designed for feeding children! Breasts have a very specific physiological purpose - they're filled with milk ducts and the nipples have openings to release said milk regardless of whether or not the woman has carried a child.

lillygator said:
and if the the sole purpose is to feed why can we not just whip them out for squirts from the moment we sprout breasts? Why do we have to go through pregnancy for them to fulfill their destiny?

Um - probably the same reason we're born with ovaries but they don't produce eggs until maturity - or the reason young men have testicles but do not ejaculate sperm until puberty.

tracilicious said:
A side note that improper information given by medical professionals is one of the top reasons the AAP lists for breastfeeding failure. I urge anyone in the medical community not to give any sort of breastfeeding advice unless you really are up to date. I know more than most doctors I've encountered and that's really sad. The misinformation given by posters in this thread that claim to be professionals is a prime example of that.

This is too true and so sad. Med students do not spend enough time on breastfeeding in school. Then when they are doctors, they are bombarded with formula samples and propoganda. I have had some terrible experiences including when my younger dd was in the hospital with a fever at 9 days old when both the nurses and docs were giving me a hard time. They were incredulous that she gained back her birthweight in the hospital. The doc tried to wear me down for hours when I refused a glucose IV because he said she was not getting enough nutrition since she spent the majority of her hospital stay at the breast. Seriously, she was only unlatched if I was in the bathroom. This was at a hospital designated "Baby Friendly" by UNICEF. Baby friendly involves much education about breastfeeding, but it obviously didn't take at this hospital. I also had problems with a lactation consultant there who was fired as a result of the misinformation she gave me.

So...if you are looking to talk to a professional for BF info, please talk to a midwife, La Leche Leader, or IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant).

I have to say I've learned a lot reading this thread. I do have one more question: can a woman who has had a breast reduction/breast implants still breast feed in most cases?

Another note: There is not only a lack of info on breastfeeding, but I am a Reiki Master and I find that holistic healing, stress relief, holistic remedies, etc. are also not readily accepted by the mainstream media. I think it's the same reason why electrical cars never took off. Gas companies bought off the car companies. Here, medical companies and pharmeceutical companies (that provide standard medication and formula) are in a "cooperative relationship". Can't make money off of breast milk or green tea, you know.

lillygator said:
and I'm sure given the opportunity a breast fed child would take a breast of just anyone as well....(not that there is much opportunity - at least I would hope not)

No, they don't - it's a little thing called pheremones and oxytocin. Babies aren't stupid - that's why babies cry for the breast of their mom and the perfectly created food for them at birth.

brymolmom said:
BUT, I dislike when people make comments like 'it's what's best for the mama' and claim that is proven. While this might be the case in many or the majority of cases, it is certainly NOT true for every mother. I tried nursing both kids, and for the first had significant post partum depression. We struggled with the feedings and I was very sore and bleeding, etc. Not unusual I know, but since he was my first, we struggled. Finally figured out after giving up after a month that one of the reasons he was such a 'fussy baby' was that he was starving! He never got enough from me. Definitely not something I would wish upon any other new mom. There's enough new things to deal with without adding that complication.

So, when child #2 came around, I gave it a try. After 4 days I realized the signals of my post partum depression were tied to the BF'ing, so I quit and was able to enjoy my newborn's first weeks.

You have some homework to do - there IS proof to all of these statements. Very specific studies have been published that prove such things.

For example, did you know that breastfeeding actually heals postpartum depression - again, perfect design, perfect science. I suffer from severe PPD and make the decision to not medicate but instead take a nursing-safe approach of diet, supplements, and psychotherapy - as well as support from family and friends. The most important asset in battling postpartum depression is the release of oxytocin that occurs during let down. Again, in studies, is proven to be more effective in combating PPD than antidepressants.

HOWEVER - I do not blame moms who tried to breastfeed and had problems. It's rather sad, and I know several moms who dealt with things like this. But - the problem IS the fact that people still exist in our society who are so judgemental and closed-minded about the SINGLE MOST NATURAL method of feeding a child that there are still 30% of moms who will not breastfeed this year - and the numbers decrease as babies get older because society - or family - or whomever makes breastfeeding women feel so unwelcome, unsupported that they think they SHOULD wean, or HAVE TO, God forbid!

Not necessarily you...but reading through this thread, CASE IN POINT.
It's sad.

For those who formula fed because they didn't have the support, or didn't have the information that we are given now, or whatever - at least think of your daughters and daughters-in-law, and most importantly your grandchildren! If given the opportunity to give your child a head start in immunities, intelligence, and SO much more - wouldn't you want that for them? At very least raise them to KNOW that breast milk IS best - it's not some debate, it IS the best. Let them learn from the mistakes of the generations before them and make more informed decisions.

Goobergal99 said:
You ppl can be so condescending, now you are insulting me as a professional just because I disagree with your BFeeding Nazism. Give me a break, Oh and BTW, if you were ever a patient of mine following open heart surgery you would be glad to have me ;)

Obvious by your posts that you really lack knowledge.

"Nazism" is a horrible reference to those who support their right to breast feed.

And medical staff should support their patients decisions as long as it is healthy for them or baby. Your personal opinion and choices--actually should stay out of it (example: as they have NOTHING to do with a medical reason as you have already stated that you would "choose" to NOT breastfeed.)

(edited for clarification as I know that you do not practice in this area).

luvdzny said:
Try explaining it to a bunch of 3rd grade boys on a field trip to the zoo when you have no idea what their parents have told them in the past. They found the mom & baby a very interesting sight. I don't think it is my place as a school volunteer to explain the whole concept of breastfeeding to them. If the mom would have at least "covered up" a bit it might not have been such a problem. But it was definitely more interesting to them then a bottle feeding mom would have been because we encountered that too - with no problems.

WHY does it have to be a *thing*??? You just say "she's feeding her baby" and leave it at that. Kids crave simplicity - and information, and honesty. There's no "whole concept".

allyphoe said:
"She's feeding the baby. It's not polite to stare. Time to go to <next destination>."

There are lots of things you could see at the zoo that would be difficult to explain to someone else's kids, though. People would be the least of my worries. ;)

True - and what if it had been the new baby <insert animal here> breastfeeding on THEIR mom? No different.

tracilicious said:
First, for the poster that said animals don't bf past infancy, that's not true. If you compare time spent nursing with lifespans and developmental abilities, animals nurse well into what some here call "childhood." Higher order animals, such as apes, chimps, etc. nurse to what would be the human equivalent of six or seven years. There is a biological need for it. Also, kittens are born with teeth, should they never nurse?

For the poster that wondered if bf'ed babies were healthier because their moms stay at home with them, that isn't true. Breastmilk has something like 114 chemical compounds that formula can't duplicate, and many of the nutrients in formula aren't able to be absorbed by a babies digestive system. Also many bf'ing moms do work and pump. I understand that your question wasn't an attack, I'm just answering it. :)

Goobergal- A truly lactose intolerant baby can't drink soy formula either, as there is lactose in it as well. You would have just needed to avoid dairy in your diet.

A side note that improper information given by medical professionals is one of the top reasons the AAP lists for breastfeeding failure. I urge anyone in the medical community not to give any sort of breastfeeding advice unless you really are up to date. I know more than most doctors I've encountered and that's really sad. The misinformation given by posters in this thread that claim to be professionals is a prime example of that.

I just don't think that women should feel like they have to breasfeed. Your comment to me implys that I should have done so. I do not want to breastfeed, period. Women have a right to not breast feed, just the same as if they choose to breastfeed.

I was just curious as to why women would want to continue doing so for as long as some do. I understand now that there are immunological benefits, I always knew that breast feeding is believed to be better then formula feeding. I just don't think there is anything wrong with choosing not to do so.

I am sorry if I think it is slightly odd to see a women still feed her walking,talking toddler from her breasts. I am entiteled to an opinion just like everyone else that thinks I am neglectful for warming a bottle with soy formula instead.

05ChristmasSurprise said:
WHY does it have to be a *thing*??? You just say "she's feeding her baby" and leave it at that. Kids crave simplicity - and information, and honesty. There's no "whole concept".

Sorry--just have to add...that no need to go explaining the birds and the bees. :rotfl2: ;)

LisaNJ25 said:
Dont feel sorry for us that dont breastfeed. I am glad I have bottle fed all of my children. Im on my 4th and they are all healthy.

I will take a week of engourged breasts as a trade off of being able to have other people help feed the baby once and awhile.

I'll take an increased IQ, immunities, security and decrease in allergies, asthma, and intolerances as a trade of - oh, wait - my husband can feed the baby expressed breastmilk, too.

What else you got?

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Obvious by your posts that you really lack knowledge.

"Nazism" is a horrible reference to those who support their right to breast feed.

And medical staff should support their patients decisions as long as it is healthy for them or baby. Your personal opinion and choices--actually should stay out of it (example: as they have NOTHING to do with a medical reason as you have already stated that you would "choose" to NOT breastfeed.)

(edited for clarification as I know that you do not practice in this area).

A woman who thinks that someone is being selfish for choosing not to breast feed is a bfing nazi and I am allowed to express my feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter