Can anyone explain the NHL emergency goalie rule?

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
I'm watching the Sharks at Coyotes game, and the Sharks broadcast crew noted that the Coyotes have an emergency backup goalie. Apparently this particular person is someone who hasn't played in years (they said college club at Arizona State) and they noted that in the case that the Sharks lost both their goalies he's even eligible to play for the Sharks.

I found this piece on tales of emergency backup goalies in NHL history. It includes some coaches, but also recreational players.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-backup-goalie-tales/c-284389510

Anyone heard of this? I mean - I would think they only do this because they have to. Putting a rec league player in goal against NHL players seems like a recipe for disaster.

It’s uncommon but not unheard of. I remember the Florida game that was mentioned in the article.

Of course it’s not what a team wants to do, but they can’t exactly play without a goalie.

What would happen if the NFL if a qb and the backup got injured in the same game?

I don't know about the rule in the NHL.

I do remember a time or two in the minor leagues where both goalies were unable to continue and the team suited up a trainer or bench warmer.

It’s uncommon but not unheard of. I remember the Florida game that was mentioned in the article.

Of course it’s not what a team wants to do, but they can’t exactly play without a goalie.

What would happen if the NFL if a qb and the backup got injured in the same game?

Most NFL teams actually have 3 quarterbacks on the active roster, and possibly one more on the practice squad. College teams have huge rosters and might even have 4 to 5 quarterbacks suited up for home games. I know hockey is pretty violent, but it's not unheard of for two quarterbacks to be injured in the same game.

On top of that a lot of NFL players played quarterback at some level. A lot of quarterbacks were good athletes but switched positions at some point. I've seen some NFL games where the announcing crew talked about players who could replace an injured quarterback because they played QB in college or even high school. There no real equipment issue when it comes to any NFL player playing QB. I think they might just need to declare a normally ineligible number since QBs are required to have a uniform number from 1-19. I remember one game in the 80s when a wide receiver played QB just to take a knee after everyone else was injured.

As far as this backup goes, they said that he's 32 and working in banking. Apparently his dad used to be the head coach for the Coyotes. Also not the first time he's done this.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/16/arizona-banker-tapped-as-back-up-goalie-for-nhl-team.html

Most NFL teams actually have 3 quarterbacks on the active roster, and possibly one more on the practice squad. College teams have huge rosters and might even have 4 to 5 quarterbacks suited up for home games. I know hockey is pretty violent, but it's not unheard of for two quarterbacks to be injured in the same game.

On top of that a lot of NFL players played quarterback at some level. A lot of quarterbacks were good athletes but switched positions at some point. I've seen some NFL games where the announcing crew talked about players who could replace an injured quarterback because they played QB in college or even high school. There no real equipment issue when it comes to any NFL player playing QB. I think they might just need to declare a normally ineligible number since QBs are required to have a uniform number from 1-19. I remember one game in the 80s when a wide receiver played QB just to take a knee after everyone else was injured.

As far as this backup goes, they said that he's 32 and working in banking. Apparently his dad used to be the head coach for the Coyotes. Also not the first time he's done this.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/16/arizona-banker-tapped-as-back-up-goalie-for-nhl-team.html

But, the point is they don't dress the practice squad guy for games. And the question was what they'd do in the event all their QB's were injured during the same game.

In the case of the NFL, there are typically dressed players who have QB experience. Often the punter or a wide receiver may have been a former QB, and they would likely be the next in line.

But, the point is they don't dress the practice squad guy for games. And the question was what they'd do in the event all their QB's were injured during the same game.

I was just thinking that most NFL teams will ensure that there are 3 designated QBs on the active roster for any game day. That may require bringing up a practice player or even signing a player on short notice.

Still, the 49ers only have two QBs on their current active roster. I’ve heard concerns that this is unwise.

I was just thinking that most NFL teams will ensure that there are 3 designated QBs on the active roster for any game day. That may require bringing up a practice player or even signing a player on short notice.

Still, the 49ers only have two QBs on their current active roster. I’ve heard concerns that this is unwise.

49ers do a lot of things that are unwise. That’s why they are the second worst team in the league.

Apparently the Blackhawks used an emergency goalie last night and won. He's a 36 year old accountant who played goalie at Western Michigan.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...emergency-goalie-big-league-moment-blackhawks
As one of Chicago's three emergency goalies, Foster attends 13 games per season, and "gets to show up in his suit and eat nachos and hot dogs in a box and go home, with minimal probability that he's ever going to get in a game," according to beer-league teammate Michael Hendrie. "A lot of stars have to align for him to play. And they did last night."​

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/dylan-sikura-alex-debrincat-blackhawks-debut-2018/amp/
Foster is one of a few local goalies who are on call for home games, just in case something like this happens. He said he has been the designated emergency goalie for 12 or 15 games this season, but he usually just sits in the press box and enjoys the free food.

When Forsberg hurt himself during his pregame warmup, Foster was a block away from the arena. The Hawks kept him in the dressing room, which would allow him to face some warmup shots on the off chance he were needed.

And Foster indeed was needed, trudging past a laughing Quenneville with a look of bewilderment in his eyes, then facing a few warmup shots from Jordan Oesterle and Vinnie Hinostroza.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-collin-delia-debut-notes-20180329-story.html
Down to just one goalie, the Hawks had to bring in an emergency backup for Delia, so they signed the 36-year-old Foster to an amateur tryout contract. Foster lives in Oak Park and played at Western Michigan University from 2002-06.

In the third period, Delia had to leave the game with an injury, and suddenly Foster was the goalie of last resort. Foster, wearing sweater No. 90, took over and held the Jets scoreless, making seven saves, each accompanied by a roar of appreciation — and maybe a fair amount of surprise — from the United Center crowd.​

I have heard of this rule-
if you look at the newest expansion team- Vegas Golden Knights- they have been very close to invoking this rule a few times this season.
they had terrible luck with goalies at the beginning of the season- Fleury having a concussion, Suban out, then the two called up got hurt (not at the same time)- they have had to call both goalies up quite a bit, so I am guessing their frequent flyer miles have been racking up
there is "someone" in the arena that can fill that spot if for some fluke reason both goalies get hurt

Another player would have to be put in for the position. They don't have provisions for a designated emergency back up. It is kind of like baseball. If you run out of pitchers, you bring in a position player and cope.

49ers do a lot of things that are unwise. That’s why they are the second worst team in the league.

Actually they are drafting 9th, not second. That made them the 9th worst team in the league. They were tied with the Raiders and won the coin toss. Generally if the first stringer gets hurt, you would after that game have guys you could sign. Further, if you're down to your third stringer, you're hosed anyway. BTW the 49ers record over 2011-2013 was the best in the league. They also went to a Superbowl. They fleeced the Patriots out of a good QB for a song. And lo and behold they won several games in a row with him. Niners fans are saying Thanks Patriots. We love you!!! That is, until he loses a game. And given the QB sweepstakes occurring at the top, drafting 9 without the need of drafting a QB is a good spot to be in. They will be back.

The emergency goalie can play for either team, too - he's there just as a backup. I wished I had watched the Blackhawks game the other night - I watch a ton of hockey but not usually Blackhawks. That would have been fun to see!

I have heard of this rule-
if you look at the newest expansion team- Vegas Golden Knights- they have been very close to invoking this rule a few times this season.
they had terrible luck with goalies at the beginning of the season- Fleury having a concussion, Suban out, then the two called up got hurt (not at the same time)- they have had to call both goalies up quite a bit, so I am guessing their frequent flyer miles have been racking up
there is "someone" in the arena that can fill that spot if for some fluke reason both goalies get hurt

I was so sad when Fleury went to the Golden Knights - I'm a Penguins fan, and he basically won the Stanley Cup for the Penguins when Matt Murray got hurt.

Another player would have to be put in for the position. They don't have provisions for a designated emergency back up. It is kind of like baseball. If you run out of pitchers, you bring in a position player and cope.

Actually they are drafting 9th, not second. That made them the 9th worst team in the league. They were tied with the Raiders and won the coin toss. Generally if the first stringer gets hurt, you would after that game have guys you could sign. Further, if you're down to your third stringer, you're hosed anyway. BTW the 49ers record over 2011-2013 was the best in the league. They also went to a Superbowl. They fleeced the Patriots out of a good QB for a song. And lo and behold they won several games in a row with him. Niners fans are saying Thanks Patriots. We love you!!! That is, until he loses a game. And given the QB sweepstakes occurring at the top, drafting 9 without the need of drafting a QB is a good spot to be in. They will be back.

Yes the post is old. 49ers got better with their new quarterback. A lot better

I thought that was a fun story about the Blackhawks emergency goalie last night! I have a soft spot for Chicago since Brandon Saad grew up in my neighborhood and went to school with my son.

I was so sad when Fleury went to the Golden Knights - I'm a Penguins fan, and he basically won the Stanley Cup for the Penguins when Matt Murray got hurt.

I'm not really a hockey fan, but I am hoping Fleury gets his revenge on the Penguins in this years playoffs!

The emergency goalie can play for either team, too - he's there just as a backup. I wished I had watched the Blackhawks game the other night - I watch a ton of hockey but not usually Blackhawks. That would have been fun to see!

It was cool to see. He was lucky to nurse a four goal lead for 13ish minutes.

One of my colleagues was the 3rd goalie for the Bruins - he never got in.

Here you go:

Each team shall have on its bench, or on a chair immediately beside the bench, a substitute goalkeeper who shall, at all times, be fully dressed and equipped ready to play. Except when both goalkeepers are incapacitated, no skater in the playing roster in that game shall be permitted to wear the equipment.

“In regular League and Playoff games, if both listed goalkeepers are incapacitated, that team shall be entitled to dress and play any available goalkeeper who is eligible. This goalkeeper is eligible to sit on the player’s bench, in uniform. In the event that the two regular goalkeepers are injured or incapacitated in quick succession, the third goalkeeper shall be provided with a reasonable amount of time to get dressed, in addition to a two-minute warm-up (except when he enters the game to defend against a penalty shot).

“If, however, the third goalkeeper is dressed and on the bench when the second goalkeeper becomes incapacitated, the third goalkeeper shall enter the game immediately and no warm-up is permitted.”

The Sabres used an emergency goalie a few years ago. They traded Ryan Miller late in the day. They didn't have time to get a backup from the minor league team in Rochester before that night's game. Jonas Enroth played & they dressed an administrator/ former scout who had only played high school hockey before. Luckily, he didn't have to go in. But it made for a great story, secondary to our top goalie being traded away of course.

Most NFL teams have another player or two who are the emergency QB's. The colts former punter Pat Mcafee was the backup QB.

Most NFL teams have another player or two who are the emergency QB's. The colts former punter Pat Mcafee was the backup QB.

Kind of different, but I've heard of a case (I was actually at the game) where a baseball team ran out of catchers. The previous catcher was pulled in a double switch and the second catcher on the roster got hurt in a home plate collision. They also had an emergency backup catcher (played another position) who was pulled for a pinch runner. So they put in a 3rd baseman who last caught as a junior player. They also put in an outfielder in the infield, and a pitcher to play in the outfield. He was basically only given two signals to worry about and was getting mostly fastballs to keep from being crossed up. He also had a ball in the dirt that he backhanded with his glove. A regular catcher would have blocked it with his body.

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Giants-down-and-out-S-F-runs-out-of-catchers-2556901.php
It was painful for the Giants, too, and not merely because they lost for the 10th time in 14 games. They also lost outfielder Freddie Lewis to a serious oblique strain and backup catcher Eliezer Alfonzo to a left-knee sprain, occurring in a violent leg-on-leg collision at home plate with Oakland pinch-runner Donnie Murphy in the 10th, the reason Feliz had to catch for the first time ever, why Winn had to play the infield for the first time since college, why Lowry had to run to right field.

Manager Bruce Bochy had no choice, for he ran out of players. He removed Bengie Molinain a fifth-inning double-switch with Tim Lincecum (41/3 innings, three runs, 92 pitches). Kevin Frandsen, who has been catching bullpen sessions, had been used as a pinch-hitter in the ninth, when the Giants wasted an almost can't-miss opportunity to win the game and avoid the absurdity of the 10th.​

In baseball you're dealing with rules where a player who leaves the game can't come back in. That creates a completely different set of issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter