Can I Survive another 11 days in WDW w/ Disney-Resistant Husband? *11/25 SURPRISE!!**

cdotla

Trish
After surviving 11 days in Walt Disney World with my Disney-resistant husband in May 2010 (as reported here) he has somehow agreed to come on yet another 11 day trip to the World, and I have somehow agreed to let him come.:rotfl:

On the trip will be me, Trish (36), Chris (44), Katie (7), and Declan (5). Here are some pictures of the whole family from our trip last May taken by the incredibly talented Nathan & Jensey Root:

025.jpg

032.jpg

114.jpg

124.jpg

155.jpg

056.jpg

183.jpg

If you read my last trip report, you will know that overall we had a fantastic trip. Lots of sunshine and happy memories. But the trip was also punctuated by a number of disappointments, most of which stemmed from my unrealistic (if well-intentioned) attempts to convert my husband into a Disney-loving enthusist...just like me.

Now a year older (and hopefully a little wiser), I am approaching this trip with more realistic expectations. There are many aspects of a Disney vacation which my husband quite likes...heck, even loves. The Beach Club and Stormalong Bay top the list. Dining at Signature restaurants is right up there too. And yes, in moderation, there are many aspects of the Parks that he also quite enjoys. But since his tolerance for park touring is much less than mine (or the kids), this trip I plan on doing a fair bit of solo touring with the kids, leaving Chris to workout and/or relax poolside at the resort.

This time the trip dynamics are also going to be a bit different since we will be spending the entire trip with our friends. From the minute we leave our homes (just a stone's throw from one another) for the drive to the airport until we return home 10 days later, we will be doing this trip with our close friends, Andrea, Graham, Bryn and Devin.

IMG_1864.jpg

Not only are all of us parents close friends, but our kids are the same ages and as close friends as you can get.

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

I am very excited about the 8 of us experiencing this trip together. The first time my parents ever took me to Walt Disney World at just 4 years old, we travelled with my best friend's family and all stayed together at the Polynesian. I have so many happy memories from that trip, and still to this day love looking at all of our photos and videos. Now, over 30 years later my kids will be able to experience the same thing with their best friends.

Andrea and Graham have already been to WDW a number of times for medical conferences. In addition, Andrea and I also took a mommies-only trip together back in 2008 to attend Food & Wine, participate in the inaugural Expedition Everest Challenge and see the close of Pleasure Island. However, this will be Bryn and Devin's first trip to Disney. I love travelling with first-timers and can't wait to see their reactions to the Parks!

With more managed and realistic expectations, and the addition of our close friends with whom we have already taken a number of happy trips, I am already getting excited for our next trip to the World.

UP NEXT: Our Dates and Resort Choices

Yeah! Trish, you started your PTR! I'm so glad. I'll be here following along for sure. If Chris gives you any trouble, just send him back to the room for a time out!:laughing:

Trip Dates & Resort Choices

Choosing our dates for this trip wasn't too hard. For a couple of years now, I have had it in my head that I wanted to be at the Magic Kingdom for its 40th Anniversary on October 1, 2011. The fact that this is also off season (with lower rates, less crowds, and more reasonable temperatures) is even better!

The only complication was that once again we were trying to secure a 1 Bedroom DVC property through RCI. For Christmas, once again my Mother-in-law very generously gifted us her RCI points so that we could make the trade. I continue to be amazed by how much easier it is to trade into Disney properties using RCI as opposed to Interval International. We tried for years to trade into Disney with Interval, and even being incredibly flexible with our dates, we could never get anywhere on Disney property. Then, about 2 years ago Disney started a new partnership with RCI. Just like last year, I called exactly 11 months in advance and had no problem getting on Disney property. We even had 2 DVC properties to choose from for the week we wanted.

Unfortunately, our first choice, the Beach Club was not available, which is really too bad because it is Chris' favourite resort.

What was available for our week was Old Key West and Saratoga Springs. I have never been to either of these resorts and debated long and hard about our choice. Old Key West is a bit older, but it has a really loyal following. While the rooms aren't as new and modern, or as tastefully decorated (in my opinion) as Saratoga Springs, they are much larger and have just been recently renovated. Generally speaking, OKW also seems to get higher points for its theming. I hemmed and hawed, and hemmed and hawed some more, going back and forth between the two resorts a number of times.

Everyone in the party was content to have me make the final decision, including our friends, who told me to book whatever resort I thought was best.

In the end, after I told Katie about the equestrian-theme to the Saratoga Springs resort, she seemed keen on that since she loves anything having to do with horses.

001.jpg
(Photo: dvcrequest.com)

I also had to admit that I liked the look of the SSR rooms over even the renovated rooms at OKW, so I decided to go with SSR.

(Photos: wdwinfo.com)

Exterior_10.jpg

Studio_3-BR_Grand-Villa_03.jpg

Studio_1-BR_Lock%20Off_02.jpg

Studio_2-BR_dedicated_07.jpg

High-Rock-Spring-Pool_04.jpg

High-Rock-Spring-Pool_05.jpg

Unfortunately, by the time I got back to calling RCI to book the reservation, SSR had already sold out. Nervously I asked whether OKW was still available, kicking myself a thousand times for waiting and not booking one of the two resorts immediately that morning. Fortunately, it was still available, so I concluded that transaction as quickly as possible.

Shortly after we booked at OKW, I discovered something even more special about OKW. They have piped in calypso-themed music with steel drums. :goodvibes This was one of the things I enjoyed so much from our stay at Carribean Beach. Just hearing those steel drums immediately puts me in such a great, relaxed mood. I can't wait to get there and hear it!

So here is where we will be staying for 8 nights:

Old_Key_West_Resort_28.JPG

Old_Key_West_Resort_20.JPG

Old_Key_West_Resort_19.JPG

Old-Key-West-18.jpg

Old-Key-West-10.jpg

Old-Key-West-13.jpg

Old_Key_West_Resort_13.JPG

Old_Key_West_Resort_15.JPG

And here are the photos of the newly renovated rooms at Old Key West taken from the Disney Parks blog:

okw583432SMALL.jpg

kwo444111THUMB.jpg
kw0222111THUMB.jpg

Ultimately we ended up adding an extra night to our stay at Old Key West (for a total of 8 nights).

Then, we decided to add some time at the Beach Club Villas. We booked a studio at BCV for 2 nights through David's DVC rentals. That way we would still get to experience 3 days and 2 nights of the Beach Club during our trip, getting our fill of Stormalong Bay in the process. Our friends were also able to book their studio for 2 nights at the Beach Club, and 8 nights in a one bedroom unit at Old Key West through David's DVC rentals.

So, in the end, we will all be spending 8 nights at Old Key West and 2 nights at the Beach Club for a total of 11 more days in WDW!:banana::banana::banana:

We were also really lucky to get some pretty good deals on airfares with some seat sales with Air Canada. It isn't the cheapest airfares we have paid, but it isn't the worst either. All 8 of us booked our tickets on the same day, so we were able to get our seats together on all legs of the trip. I suspect the girls will likely sit together in one row with Andrea and I on the other side, and the boys will sit together in following row, with Chris and Graham on the other side.

While we have travelled with friends on 2 other trips, this is the first time we have ever flown down to Orlando with another family. I think this is only going to add to the excitement! Plus, on every other trip we have done with another family our dates haven't lined up exactly the same, nor have we ever stayed at the same resorts. So this trip will really be the first time that we have done a complete trip with another family. Fortunately, our families have taken a number of trips together out of province (Canadian-speak for state;)) and we travel well together. We will each have our own rental cars, so we can split up when we want, but overall, I expect that we will likely be together for most of the trip.:)

We are still just over 7 months away from our trip, but I am already getting very excited!:yay:

UP NEXT: What Chris is most looking forward to this Trip...surprisingly not the Beach Club!

I'm here! I'm here!
We stayed at Saratoga Springs and liked the resort a lot but hated the Disney transportation. I doubt I'll get Tom to stay there again because he's anti-car rental at Disney. :rotfl2:

Amanda

You know, after looking at the pics of both resorts, I'd have gone with OKW too! It sort of looks like the BC a little, don't you think? I love the sand castle pool area, I'd never get my kids out of there! And the rooms look beautiful. How awesome to have 11 days at Disney and 2 of them at the BC too. I suggested a split stay to DH (he's quite enamoured with the Animal Kingdom Lodge) but he thinks it sounds like too much work!:laughing:

I'm still in shock that Chris agreed to another trip!:laughing: But I think it's wonderful that you're going with dear friends too. What a treat! I'm sure you'll all have a great time. October will be here before you know and soon you'll be able to make all those ADR's! Sigh, I love planning Disney trips!:goodvibes

Oh how I wanted to go back in October too! Especially for the 40th anniversary. But DH says January is better for him due to his work schedule. So we're looking at January again which is fine, we had an amazing time.

I'm intrigued by your comment about what Chris is most looking forward to! Do tell!:goodvibes

Great that you booked a new trip! Can't wait to hear more details. I love it there in the fall. We are going back this year too, in May and actually staying at SSR! I think it is so pretty there, I would have been ok with either OKW too but we are travelling with my MIL and BIL/SIL and they chose SSR.

WOW! Chris agreed to another 11 days? And you agreed to let him come along?

Can't wait to see how the reality turns out.

Subbing in...and I'm gonna live vicariously via your reports. popcorn::

princess::upsidedow

Hi Trish!!

I'm so happy that I get to come along on another one of your reports!! I loved SSR but I am so excited that you're staying at OKW....I think it's a beautiful resort!!!

Can't wait to hear more.....

Great resort choices!
11 days is the perfect amount of time in Disney!
I can't wait for your review of OKW. We haven't stayed there yet and would love to know what you think of the resort.

subscribing! popcorn::

I stayed at OKW in 2002, it was our first family trip using our DVC membership- it's a really nice resort, I loved the theming & the pool - and great to be able to get a boat over to Downtown Disney! :thumbsup2

Emma princess: x

Joining in for the ride...
I can't wait for your stories. Are you guys attending the Halloween party? October is a wonderful time to go, we got good weather and low crowds. My son favorite was the party...he wants to go again during Sept/Oct so he can attend the party.

Hurrah for another trip to the World! :yay: And you know how I :lovestruc F&W!

How very cool to be traveling with such good friends and won't it be so super fun to see their kids experience it for the first time!

I stayed at OKW in 2006 and really, really enjoyed it! I think you'll love it. Of course I'm delighted to hear you will get to exprience SAB too!

I am anxiously waiting to hear what Chris is looking forward to most of all! popcorn::popcorn::

Congrats on the trip! I hope you love OKW. One thing is for sure - the rooms are much bigger and I think you will like the layout better than a 1 BR at SSR. The renovations look nice. I am looking forward to staying at OKW one of these days. 11 days!!!! So lucky!

Looking forward to hearing how this trip unfolds. Food & Wine, good friends, 11 days...sounds nice! Can't wait to hear what Chris is looking forward to! :confused:

Sounds like a fantastic trip! We've stayed at both SSR and OKW and I prefer OKW. It's such a laid back vibe! Though SSR was lovely too. It was more sophisticated and sophisticated I am not:laughing: Plus you'll get to go to BC for a few days at the end. What a fabulous way to end the trip! You can just hand out at SAB:cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter