Caribbean Beach is a Dump!

I just want to address this statement. Because, yes, CBR is reduced due to construction. I priced my upcoming reservation and compared it with Coronado Springs and Pop Century. Here are the specifications I looked at:
Dates: January 1-8, 2018
Rack Rate Package
8 Day Base Tickets
Disney Dining Plan

From Highest to Lowest cost:

Coronado Springs, Standard View: 2705.12
Caribbean Beach, Standard View: 2569.01
Pop Century, Standard Room: 2218.01

Difference between CSR and CBR: around $17.01 per night
Between CBR and POP: around $43.88 per night

One of the big selling points for moderate resorts is that there are better food options at the moderates. The other is the theming. I'd say the theming is shot at CBR based on the pictures I saw. So that leaves the great pools. Looking at the month of January (as that is my example), would one really think that the pool and hot tub is really worth an additional near $20 per night over another moderate?

I would argue that at this time, the construction happening at CBR places it on the same lines as a Value resort and therefore Disney should drop their prices to that.

That is my opinion, which I'm entitled to. I think you, Nancyg56, are getting too wrapped up making the opinions about how someone feels about a Disney resort way too important. In the grand scheme of things it is not that important.

Just for the record. I do not think your previous post was rude at all. Don't know why people would take it that way. I don't know people would not share how much money they spent because none of us know each other, so don't know why it would be secretive. I agree that CBR's construction is way overboard and they should be giving a discount PLUS the $75 gift card per night to EVERYONE.

? But the lobby at CBR hasn't changed. Well, I guess a change has been they've put a couple snack things in there or something, at least I thought someone said they did. But as for construction or remodel work, there is none going on

I'm thinking that most of these issues folks are finding with CBR and construction are with CBR and not so much with construction. In other words, even not under construction many having issues wouldn't like a stay in CBR

Interesting thought. I was told CBR was a dump when we went in 2013 and I was told SSR was a dump when we went in 2015 and I was told YC was a dump when we went in 2015 so I guess I'm not worried since I've never stayed anywhere that the DIS doesn't think is a dump. :tongue:

Interestingly, I have just booked a room at the Coronado Springs Resort for late September. To Disney's credit, they have followed up with an "Important" email reiterating construction details, giving me all of the phone numbers for reservations (presumably in case I want to back out now), and giving me the name of the General Manager in case I have concerns once I arrive.

Based on the video, I wouldn't call CBR place a dump. However, the temporary facilities are certainly not what I think of a "Disney" experience. I wrongly guessed, for example, that they would've painted and installed a themed facade on the trailer bar. The tent does have some token attempt at theming with the hanging lamps and oars, though I was picturing more expansive theming (similar to how my company decked a similar space at our Holiday Party with immersive decor). But it's probably unfair to compare a single night event decor to something they have to maintain for months under heavy use.

Everyone has the right to make their own decision based on the information: do they want to stay here and is the price/promotion a good value? Depending on your touring style, for many people I can see why the answer is yes.

Interesting thought. I was told CBR was a dump when we went in 2013 and I was told SSR was a dump when we went in 2015 and I was told YC was a dump when we went in 2015 so I guess I'm not worried since I've never stayed anywhere that the DIS doesn't think is a dump. :tongue:

LOL! WE just had a similar conversation at my home. We are planning an extended family trip in December 2018 with my niece and her new wife, who has never been. The trip will be planned around them and what they want to exerience, beginning with any resort they wish to stay at. They are leaning towards the Beach Club. Imagine my surprise when my husband insisted we cannot "make them stay in that dump." LOL! FIrst I thought of this thread, and then I just about fainted. BC a dump?????? But he hated it when we stayed there and honestly thinks that if we are not on the monorail, (read that at the CR) we are not in Disney. Go figure. So I guess CBR can be considered a dump, but I have to rethink what "dump" really means. I will add that my DD, who will be doing most of the planning for this trip asked him why he wants to stay at the "Retro," just to let him knwo her opinion of the CR, LOL!

I'm going on April next year, and i'm worry the hotel is going to be a bad experience now! Its my first time at WDW and at USA :P any recommendations? should i ask for any room better than another if its possible? Thanks!

While I have been posting that the construction was a non-issue for us, we go a couple times a year so if we don't like one resort we know there's always the next trip. With that said, it is not someplace I would recommend for a first time trip. I don't think it will be a 'bad experience' at all, but for a first trip I want you to be 'wowed' by Disney & all it has to offer. Only you can decide, but if you are looking for a moderate level I would look at the Port Orleans resorts... What are the ages of your party? What is important for you in a resort?

Interestingly, I have just booked a room at the Coronado Springs Resort for late September. To Disney's credit, they have followed up with an "Important" email reiterating construction details, giving me all of the phone numbers for reservations (presumably in case I want to back out now), and giving me the name of the General Manager in case I have concerns once I arrive.

Based on the video, I wouldn't call CBR place a dump. However, the temporary facilities are certainly not what I think of a "Disney" experience. I wrongly guessed, for example, that they would've painted and installed a themed facade on the trailer bar. The tent does have some token attempt at theming with the hanging lamps and oars, though I was picturing more expansive theming (similar to how my company decked a similar space at our Holiday Party with immersive decor). But it's probably unfair to compare a single night event decor to something they have to maintain for months under heavy use.

Everyone has the right to make their own decision based on the information: do they want to stay here and is the price/promotion a good value? Depending on your touring style, for many people I can see why the answer is yes.

I was thinking that too. They could at least have painted the trailer. I was also wondering why they couldn't have something like a kiosk ,or whaterever they call them, that are set up and around WS that sell drinks and food? Why couldn't they have something like that instead of a white trailer?

I was thinking that too. They could at least have painted the trailer. I was also wondering why they couldn't have something like a kiosk ,or whaterever they call them, that are set up and around WS that sell drinks and food? Why couldn't they have something like that instead of a white trailer?

Isn't the trailer bigger than their typical kiosk?

As to the lack of theming, maybe they kept it to a minimum in case they had to quickly pack it up because of weather?

Isn't the trailer bigger than their typical kiosk?

As to the lack of theming, maybe they kept it to a minimum in case they had to quickly pack it up because of weather?

They could have done more than one kiosk. Besides, they use them in the parks. It rains there too. I just don't think there's any reason why they couldn't have done something a bit better than a white trailer.

They could have done more than one kiosk. Besides, they use them in the parks. It rains there too. I just don't think there's any reason why they couldn't have done something a bit better than a white trailer.

There was talks of doing a small kiosk like the have in the parks but they chose to have all the options that a full bar offers. A kiosk would have kept it to a couple of predetermined mixed drinks, a couple of beers and bottled soda/water.

They wanted to keep the offerings the same as before. They opted for full bar over cute ambiance.

There was talks of doing a small kiosk like the have in the parks but they chose to have all the options that a full bar offers. A kiosk would have kept it to a couple of predetermined mixed drinks, a couple of beers and bottled soda/water.

They wanted to keep the offerings the same as before. They opted for full bar over cute ambiance.

Not sure it's a full bar anyway because there's a drink menu and other than that they can add beer and wine. That's all they really need. How many people are going to sit around that area for any length of time anyway with the construction?

Not sure it's a full bar anyway because there's a drink menu and other than that they can add beer and wine. That's all they really need.

It's as full of a bar as it was before which is what they wanted. There is a drink menu, there always has been, but you can order just about any standard mixed drink you want.

How many people are going to sit around that area for any length of time anyway with the construction?

Not agreeing with or defending their decision, just pointing out how they got there.

It's as full of a bar as it was before which is what they wanted. There is a drink menu, there always has been, but you can order just about any standard mixed drink you want.

Not agreeing with or defending their decision, just pointing out how they got there.

I understand. I just think they could have come up with something a bit better than this.

I understand. I just think they could have come up with something a bit better than this.

Agree. It's not like they need to operate out of a huge trailer in order to serve a full bar. Maybe the trailer is needed to store all of the supplies, cast member restroom, etc. I like the idea of building a kiosk like the temporary Food and Wine buildings, but larger. It could be reused to spread out the costs. Maybe park the trailer behind it if you need storage and restrooms close by.

While I have been posting that the construction was a non-issue for us, we go a couple times a year so if we don't like one resort we know there's always the next trip. With that said, it is not someplace I would recommend for a first time trip. I don't think it will be a 'bad experience' at all, but for a first trip I want you to be 'wowed' by Disney & all it has to offer. Only you can decide, but if you are looking for a moderate level I would look at the Port Orleans resorts... What are the ages of your party? What is important for you in a resort?

i'm going with my husband, i'm a huge disney fan and he.. loves me hahahaha so he agreed :P it would be super expensive for us to change the hotel so unless its a huge problem we'll try to do our best there. I guess we can dinner at a different hotel.. we have a dining plan too.

Not sure it's a full bar anyway because there's a drink menu and other than that they can add beer and wine. That's all they really need. How many people are going to sit around that area for any length of time anyway with the construction?
It's far enough away from the construction that we had no issues sitting there in the evenings. They had musicians out playing, tables and chairs along the sandy beach. We sat there drinking while DGD played in sand. Watched both fireworks at Epcot and Studios. It was really pleasant. From that spot you have no idea there is construction. Especially at night as they aren't working then anyway

But I agree 100% that something other than a white trailer would have been nice. Just that what they have does function fine. And the staff working on there is great. Too bad they didn't at least get someone to do a wrap on it

I'm guessing they couldn't use the F&W kiosk because of F&W using them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter