Class of 2021 Parents

Hello. I just noticed this thread; I have been on the class of 2019 one lately because everything is starting to rev up with college looming. My younger DS is class of 2021. He has adjusted very well to high school. Both my kids go to a school with specialized programs so he does lots of advanced math and science. Next year he'll be taking 2 AP classes as a sophomore. Honestly, right now I am not worried about him at all with school and sports, etc. He is an excellent student and although a major procrastinator, he always gets it done and gets top grades. Never fear, in less than a year he will be eligible for his driving permit, so there will be worry there :).

Freshman year is going good. She has all A's and B's. She has been in marching band, concert band and winter guard this year. We have a winter guard comp this Saturday. Last Saturday she participated in her first district solo and ensemble competition. She scored above average. She was a couple points away from making the state competition. She was so upset she didn't make it. My dd is such a critic on herself. They have picked schedules for next year. She is taking dual credit US History class, Honors English, Chemistry, Algebra 2 and then band, choir and theatre. We go to do the driving permit test at the end of the month so she can sign up for summer driving class at the school.

Freshman year has been hard on mom! She is sooo busy! During the fall, she was in marching band, and in the spring, she is doing symphonic band, concert band (just for fun because she had an extra elective), concert choir, and indoor percussion. School is going great - straight A's, except for geometry - that one hasn't clicked with her yet.

She has exactly zero interest in getting her driver's permit, though I look longingly toward the days when she can do a little of the driving herself. I really want her to take the after school driver's ed in April/May, but she has to get her permit first! I may be paying for private instruction, because she doesn't really want to use a credit on it.

Things are gong fine here! Straight A's, still rocking first chair in Orchestra, making lots of friends and having a good time. My DD doesn't do sports--she's a dancer, has that 8 hours a week, and gets concerned with overscheduling.

She's a serious student, not interested in dating at all, but the boys have been noticing her, much to her chagrin. I'm not surprised--she's friendly and cute, very approachable, and she has 2 brothers, so she's very comfortable around boys. Poor kid keeps getting asked out! This is NOT a problem I had in HS, and I'm trying to teach her to be kind and respectful. And trust me--it's not that she's a beauty queen or anything, she's just cute and funny and outgoing.

Freshman year has been hard on mom! She is sooo busy! During the fall, she was in marching band, and in the spring, she is doing symphonic band, concert band (just for fun because she had an extra elective), concert choir, and indoor percussion. School is going great - straight A's, except for geometry - that one hasn't clicked with her yet.

She has exactly zero interest in getting her driver's permit, though I look longingly toward the days when she can do a little of the driving herself. I really want her to take the after school driver's ed in April/May, but she has to get her permit first! I may be paying for private instruction, because she doesn't really want to use a credit on it.
Dd got her first B ever in algebra 2, both marking periods. I think one issue is that this is the first time ever she hasn’t has her brother in the class (he also has a B). Having a built in study buddy was really helpful, now they don’t even have the same teacher. I even asked if they could be in the same math classes next year, but it’s a random system.

Everything is going well, but I think he's a little stressed right now. He's currently in Honors Biology (Biology is the science course for 9th graders here), but he and several others were recommended to go into AP Chemistry next year. The problem is that they have to take Chemistry I as an online course first. I think it's about 6 weeks long and he's about halfway through. So, between his regular courses at school, his extracurriculars, and trying to study for his learner's permit, it's just one extra thing he doesn't want to deal with at the moment.

Everything is going well, but I think he's a little stressed right now. He's currently in Honors Biology (Biology is the science course for 9th graders here), but he and several others were recommended to go into AP Chemistry next year. The problem is that they have to take Chemistry I as an online course first. I think it's about 6 weeks long and he's about halfway through. So, between his regular courses at school, his extracurriculars, and trying to study for his learner's permit, it's just one extra thing he doesn't want to deal with at the moment.

This would concern me, as a chemistry nut. Chem has labs, and I have reservations that a 6-week, on-line course could provide enough prep for AP Chem. I know things have changed, but back in the Stone Age when I took AP Chem, it was a senior course, that I took after regular Honors Chem. Personally, I would recommend regular Honors Chem, then AP Chem, assuming he has a need for strong chemistry (i.e., becoming an MD, pharmacist, chemical engineer, etc.). I would hate to see him do poorly on the AP exam because he wasn't properly prepared.

One issue we had with our DD is, she took Honors Earth Science as an 8th grader, in preparation for the rigors of the IB program, which recommends loading up on math/science classes. But then this year, they didn't put her in Honors Bio--with the argument that, she can take it next year with the other 10th graders. They also wouldn't put her in Honors Math 2 this year--same reason. So next year, she'll have 2 Honors math classes AND 2 Honors science classes--poor kid! Now, I'm a total math and science geek, but she's not. Well, my geeky heart has hope--she got selected for some special math thing that she has to get tested and go to a college campus for. She was pretty vague on the whole thing, but my little STEM-y heart was swelling with pride! (DD14: I think I get a t-shirt!)

AP chemistry is a bear, my older kids took it, and they had a full year of honors chemistry. I think dd16 is trying to avoid it altogether (she took honors, and did great in it on the ACT). And she’s in the STEM program and will have 6 sciences and 6 maths.

Honors chemistry for Dd and ds next year.

Last edited:
Hi! Can I join the party even though I am late? I was really nervous when dd started high school. She is a cheerleader so she was busy with the older girls over the summer. Instead of it making me feel better about the situation it made me feel nervous. LOL It has all gone well though. I can't believe school is almost over already! She is in all honors and although she got her first C in her life in Honors Biology, she brought it up and is back to mainly A's and an occasional B. She was in band in middle school but really had to choose between marching band and cheer this year because of block scheduling. She chose cheer and tried choir out. At first she was sad and didn't really make any friends (she had her "band squad") but is now liking choir now and wants to do it again next year. She said she still hasn't made friends in the class, but enjoys singing so wants to stick with it. She has made a ton of friends in general this year though. She was always a homebody and never really asked to go anywhere. Now she asks to go out every Friday. it has been an adjustment for her dad and I but I guess it is just part of her growing up. She starts driver's ed in 2 weeks! Lucky for me she has not outgrown Disney. We are going back in July. She has started talking about a senior trip and wants to go to Disney Paris when she graduates. We are also talking about colleges and careers which makes me sick! She is currently in the vet program at school but is thinking about changing to Nursing or teaching. Very different, but she loves animals and kids.

I may be paying for private instruction, because she doesn't really want to use a credit on it.

I just found out this week that his HS offers driver's ed early in the summer. I was hoping if he had a Certificate of Completion from a driver's ed course that it will help with our insurance premium when he gets added next year. I knew of place about 20 minutes away that's over $400, but the one at his school charges less and it's obviously a lot closer. Anyone else with older kids who saw a benefit (either in insurance premiums or otherwise) by having their child take driver's ed?

This would concern me, as a chemistry nut. Chem has labs, and I have reservations that a 6-week, on-line course could provide enough prep for AP Chem. I know things have changed, but back in the Stone Age when I took AP Chem, it was a senior course, that I took after regular Honors Chem. Personally, I would recommend regular Honors Chem, then AP Chem, assuming he has a need for strong chemistry (i.e., becoming an MD, pharmacist, chemical engineer, etc.). I would hate to see him do poorly on the AP exam because he wasn't properly prepared.

One issue we had with our DD is, she took Honors Earth Science as an 8th grader, in preparation for the rigors of the IB program, which recommends loading up on math/science classes. But then this year, they didn't put her in Honors Bio--with the argument that, she can take it next year with the other 10th graders. They also wouldn't put her in Honors Math 2 this year--same reason. So next year, she'll have 2 Honors math classes AND 2 Honors science classes--poor kid! Now, I'm a total math and science geek, but she's not. Well, my geeky heart has hope--she got selected for some special math thing that she has to get tested and go to a college campus for. She was pretty vague on the whole thing, but my little STEM-y heart was swelling with pride! (DD14: I think I get a t-shirt!)

I was kind of concerned at first, too. However, his school has been successfully doing this for years with more advanced students. His friend from band who is a senior did tell him that she got her one and only "B" in high school in that class, so he's aware that it won't be easy. He also told me last night that he's already 5 weeks into the 7 week course, so I guess that's what's happening. He has other friends who are doing it, too, so he's definitely not the only one, and like I said, this is kind of typical for his school with kids who they think can handle it and/or would find Honors Chemistry too easy. He's already on an advanced math track (he'll take Pre-Calculus Honors next year), so I think he should probably do fine. He's pretty disciplined.

She was pretty vague on the whole thing, but my little STEM-y heart was swelling with pride! (DD14: I think I get a t-shirt!)

Yep, that sounds about right! LOL

Do any of your schools collaborate with a good online program? I really want DD to have some exposure to Latin. I don't think she would do great just taking computer-based training - I think an instructor is really needed.

I just found out this week that his HS offers driver's ed early in the summer. I was hoping if he had a Certificate of Completion from a driver's ed course that it will help with our insurance premium when he gets added next year. I knew of place about 20 minutes away that's over $400, but the one at his school charges less and it's obviously a lot closer. Anyone else with older kids who saw a benefit (either in insurance premiums or otherwise) by having their child take driver's ed?

I was kind of concerned at first, too. However, his school has been successfully doing this for years with more advanced students. His friend from band who is a senior did tell him that she got her one and only "B" in high school in that class, so he's aware that it won't be easy. He also told me last night that he's already 5 weeks into the 7 week course, so I guess that's what's happening. He has other friends who are doing it, too, so he's definitely not the only one, and like I said, this is kind of typical for his school with kids who they think can handle it and/or would find Honors Chemistry too easy. He's already on an advanced math track (he'll take Pre-Calculus Honors next year), so I think he should probably do fine. He's pretty disciplined.

I hope he does well. He sounds like a smart kid!

Meanwhile, my DD14 made up her 10th grade schedule last night. The only AP class she's taking is World History, which is a good choice for a sophomore (as in, no prerequisites). She opted out of Spanish 3 so she could take Orchestra. I was scratching my head at first--she's had issues with Orchestra this year (too easy, treated poorly by upperclassmen, not fond of the teacher, etc.). But, she's been playing strings since she was 6, so Orchestra will make a nice counterpoint to her double math/double science/Honors English/AP World History classes.

DS just realized that he is old enough for lifeguarding this summer. Lots of swim team kids do this, so not sure he can actually get a job since he’ll be *just* old enough and I don’t know how many they hire, but there are a bunch of neighborhood pools so hopefully something will work out. So now we are scrambling to get him signed up for the certification class this spring before it fills up. Need to call the office tomorrow bc it’s not letting me do it online.

My older DS was never interested in lifeguarding (he’ll be looking for some other kind of job this summer) so I kind of forgot that 15 is the magic age. Every year seems to get busier and busier!

Funny you should mention that--my DD14 was offered a job at the dance studio this week. She's been working parties there occasionally, now they want her to help out with a class or two. Just a couple hours a week, but she doesn't have time for more. I don't know if something will work out for the summer--we'll be traveling kind of a lot. But, they really love her there. She's a mediocre dancer at best, but she's great with the little kids.

Meanwhile, she has to pick a number to put on the back of her t-shirt for the upcoming math competition. She thought pi might be taken, so I suggested square root of -1. We happen to have a pun-worthy last name, so I was giving her all kinds of punny suggestions for her name. For some reason, she just wants to go with the one on her birth certificate.

I've been on the class of 2017 thread for a while. My oldest DD is a college freshman. Feels like the last few years have been all about college search, applications, & adjusting to college life.

I found the class of 2019 thread today. My DS is a junior in HS. Just beginning the search with him.

My youngest DD is a freshman in HS. 2021 should be a big year for us with youngest HS graduation & oldest college graduation.

Alison has had a block schedule since 6th grade. She takes 8 classes, and each class meets every other day for almost 2 hours (with some exceptions - in junior high, English met every day, and during marching season, band meets every day). She has almost always had one day that was easier than the other, and I like that she has 2 days to do homework for each class. Teachers seem to get more done in a class period - for instance, if the kids are taking a test, they take the test then begin the next unit.

At our school, 3rd block is extended, and all students eat lunch during 3rd block...but not all at once! Each class has an assigned time to eat.
Our HS has block schedule but they take 5 classes per semester-4 per day so they have each class 4 times a week. They take 10 classes per year.

School is 1 building with grades 6-12. Middle school is it's own wing but they share facilities like gym, cafeteria & library and busses. Start & end times are the same but middle school has 7 periods not 4 like HS. In middle school my DS & DD had close to 160 in their classes but they lose a lot to private HS so I think they have about 130 now. My oldest only had 90 in her graduating class.

Yes, has always been open, for over 100 years! Not nearly enough room in the cafeteria. There are literally dozens of restaurants walking distance, including a supermarket with high tables they can stand and eat at. Our elementary schools have open lunch, and all have a couple of places the kids can go and eat (delis, pizzarias). Most places have $5 student lunch specials. Elementary students can also walk home for lunch, they get an hour.
My kids have only have 25 min for lunch.

DS19 took driver's ed; it was about $700 (classroom and driving hours). Practicing driving with someone learning to drive definitely ranks very high on my list of least favorite parenting tasks ever. I found the whole thing quite terrifying! I can't imagine trying to be the one doing all the instruction.

It has also saved us on insurance, though I couldn't quote you any actual numbers since it's been a while since it was set up.

In MA you cannot get a license until age 18 if you don't have driver's ed. Our school doesn't offer it so we did a private company. We also paid them to do the driving test with both older DD & DS-we don't own a car that meets the requirements for the registry for the exam - has to have an emergency break in the middle of the front seats.

Your Massachusetts Driver's Ed course will be broken down into:
  • 30 hours of classroom lessons.
  • 18 hours of in-car instruction, which includes:
    • 12 hours of behind-the-wheel practice.
    • 6 hours of classmate observation.
Before you can take your DMV road test and get your junior MA driver's license, you'll need to:
  • Be at least 16 1/2 years old.
  • Hold your learner's permit for at least 6 months.
  • Complete at least 40 hours of supervised driving practice.
  • Have no traffic violations for 6 months before your road test.

In MA you cannot get a license until age 18 if you don't have driver's ed. Our school doesn't offer it so we did a private company. We also paid them to do the driving test with both older DD & DS-we don't own a car that meets the requirements for the registry for the exam - has to have an emergency break in the middle of the front seats.

Your Massachusetts Driver's Ed course will be broken down into:
  • 30 hours of classroom lessons.
  • 18 hours of in-car instruction, which includes:
    • 12 hours of behind-the-wheel practice.
    • 6 hours of classmate observation.
Before you can take your DMV road test and get your junior MA driver's license, you'll need to:
  • Be at least 16 1/2 years old.
  • Hold your learner's permit for at least 6 months.
  • Complete at least 40 hours of supervised driving practice.
  • Have no traffic violations for 6 months before your road test.
Same in NJ. The earliest you can get your license is 17, provisional until 18. Our HS does drivers education during one semester of health, but you have to use a company to get the 6 hours of behind the wheel to get a permit ($350). Dd17 just got her license, and has to babysit until midnight in the next town. There is a curfew of 11 pm until age 18, so I told her not to get pulled over (she does have a PBA card).

JV lax season over. Class for getting driver’s permit complete. Just need to make appointment for written test to obtain permit. Very first AP exam this week. Lax banquet on Friday. Second AP exam next week. Academic awards ceremony tomorrow evening. And he heard from his first host family in Argentina for his exchange next year. Will be living in Tierra del Fuego. Yep, Tierra del Fuego! His new school offers Cambridge curriculum so credits earned there should transfer nicely into his IB program here. (Score!)

So, my head is spinning. Anyone else’s?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter