Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
i could have sworn there were multiple comments about how entertainment is getting cut and we won't have these things return in any capacity until 2023 and when they do it is only going to be the ROI items.

i could have sworn there were multiple comments about how entertainment is getting cut and we won't have these things return in any capacity until 2023 and when they do it is only going to be the ROI items.
Well jeez , we are now planning on a fall 2022 return. 2023 seems so far away.

2022 and even 2023 don’t seem that far away in pandemic time, just in my opinion of course. When this whole thing started Trudeau told Canadians to not expect a return to normal for 18 months or so, and while that felt like an eternity when he said it in hindsight that doesn’t seem like near enough time (Fall 2021).

It’s not like things are going to all return at once overnight, waiting years from now to do so, but lingering effects in 2-3 years although depressing would be unsurprising, to me (in Disney and out).

2022 and even 2023 don’t seem that far away in pandemic time, just in my opinion of course. When this whole thing started Trudeau told Canadians to not expect a return to normal for 18 months or so, and while that felt like an eternity when he said it in hindsight that doesn’t seem like near enough time (Fall 2021).

It’s not like things are going to all return at once overnight, waiting years from now to do so, but lingering effects in 2-3 years although depressing would be unsurprising, to me (in Disney and out).

I actually kind of view things coming back like a firestorm when they do...

M&G, Fireworks, Park hopping, shows etc. Some of that just take a few months to rev' up again but it will come fast.

How many of the 28,000 have been notified at this point? Like the 700 entertainment workers were part of those 28,000 correct?
Is the wave on Sunday in DL (according the LATimes) going to be part of that original 28,000? Or it is additional?

ok - i read the Disney Parks Blog post addressing the entertainment cuts - I'm glad they addressed it.
They also addressed - whether or not I think this will actually happen - or when or which entertainment - bringing it back at some point.

So - is it still awful - of course. People are out of work.

But maybe not all of them maybe not forever?
I read it the same way. But I was happy that they shot down the pessimists who said all of it was dead forever.
If the pandemic had hit and suddenly Disney starting making drastic cuts to entertainment, I think many would believe that this was just a direct result of the economic situation and, as things eased, they’d bring it all back. But this is just an escalation of a strategy we’ve seen play out at WDW over the last five years. For example, this isn’t nearly the first time the Citizens of Hollywood have faced cuts. Every year or two, Disney has trimmed off a few of these entertainers and paired the group down to a shell of its original cast size (to be clear, that’s not a commentary on the last remaining cast; I think they’re all wildly talented). Now, they “finish the job” and get rid of the last few remaining. I have a tough time believing that an economic recovery will reverse a trend that started well before the economic downturn. This is just one example but there are many more across property.

Of course, some shows will come back but I also think we have to look at this issue as more complex than is a theater dark or open. For example, it’s like replacing Off Kilter in Canada with the lumberjacks show. Sure, “live entertainment” did return to the Canada pavilion at Epcot but there was a loss in quality that suddenly made that “live entertainment” less appealing for many.

That is all to say, some shows and entertainment offerings will absolutely come back, but expect them to come back with younger, less experienced, and cheaper casts. Expect them to come back with fewer showings a day, fewer Equity performers (which are generally the real draws of these shows), slightly shorter run times, and fewer expensive acts. These are changes Disney wanted to make well before the pandemic, so independent of what happens with the pandemic, I don’t see a reason why Disney wouldn’t go ahead with those changes. If they wanted to bring back FotLK right this moment, they could. I know that because if you look over at HKDL (which isn’t even in good enough shape to operate seven days a week, these days), their FotLK is back and running four or five shows a day. Yes, there are differences between HKDL and WDW but the largest one I see is a difference in the customer base. Disney still needs to “prove itself” to those in Hong Kong whereas it knows it can get away with it here.

Also, I don’t really think this is about the union as much is it is about money. As of now, if you want certain elements, talents, or skills in a show (and generally the ones that appeal most to Guests), you generally need to have Equity performers. It’s the difference between the Disney Society Orchestra & Friends and Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage, for example.

Oh and it’s worth noting that the author of the DPB post is the VP of WDW entertainment, so her salary was reportedly just fully reinstated three months ago, as she tells us how to react to laying off 92% of WDW’s Equity performers. I’m not one to usually be this pessimistic but I just keep seeing posts and press releases by TDO/TWDC and find myself wondering “who’s approving these?”

Had a friend notified that their Spice Road Table reservation for December has been canceled. I wonder if the location will close now that Disney has control of it.
Darn. Well changes are coming then. Mine for Nov is still intact but I’m going to look for a backup somewhere...

If the pandemic had hit and suddenly Disney starting making drastic cuts to entertainment, I think many would believe that this was just a direct result of the economic situation and, as things eased, they’d bring it all back. But this is just an escalation of a strategy we’ve seen play out at WDW over the last five years. For example, this isn’t nearly the first time the Citizens of Hollywood have faced cuts. Every year or two, Disney has trimmed off a few of these entertainers and paired the group down to a shell of its original cast size (to be clear, that’s not a commentary on the last remaining cast; I think they’re all wildly talented). Now, they “finish the job” and get rid of the last few remaining. I have a tough time believing that an economic recovery will reverse a trend that started well before the economic downturn. This is just one example but there are many more across property.

Of course, some shows will come back but I also think we have to look at this issue as more complex than is a theater dark or open. For example, it’s like replacing Off Kilter in Canada with the lumberjacks show. Sure, “live entertainment” did return to the Canada pavilion at Epcot but there was a loss in quality that suddenly made that “live entertainment” less appealing for many.

That is all to say, some shows and entertainment offerings will absolutely come back, but expect them to come back with younger, less experienced, and cheaper casts. Expect them to come back with fewer showings a day, fewer Equity performers (which are generally the real draws of these shows), slightly shorter run times, and fewer expensive acts. These are changes Disney wanted to make well before the pandemic, so independent of what happens with the pandemic, I don’t see a reason why Disney wouldn’t go ahead with those changes. If they wanted to bring back FotLK right this moment, they could. I know that because if you look over at HKDL (which isn’t even in good enough shape to operate seven days a week, these days), their FotLK is back and running four or five shows a day. Yes, there are differences between HKDL and WDW but the largest one I see is a difference in the customer base. Disney still needs to “prove itself” to those in Hong Kong whereas it knows it can get away with it here.

Also, I don’t really think this is about the union as much is it is about money. As of now, if you want certain elements, talents, or skills in a show (and generally the ones that appeal most to Guests), you generally need to have Equity performers. It’s the difference between the Disney Society Orchestra & Friends and Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage, for example.

Oh and it’s worth noting that the author of the DPB post is the VP of WDW entertainment, so her salary was reportedly just fully reinstated three months ago, as she tells us how to react to laying off 92% of WDW’s Equity performers. I’m not one to usually be this pessimistic but I just keep seeing posts and press releases by TDO/TWDC and find myself wondering “who’s approving these?”

Once again, you are right on the money with this.

They've been cutting for years. Hard to think that some of these cuts weren't going to happen anyway.

I noticed the other day I could've made a reservation at Savi's at 9:25 or 9:45am for those dates in November. Didn't know if that was a normal thing to have Savi's open an hour before listed opening or a sign of what was just announced..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter