Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to learn to live with this virus. We can't keep closing down every time there is an increase in cases.

Unfortunately, “living with the virus” might mean not doing things like vacations to theme parks and states that are hotspots right now.

“Living with the virus” means different things to different people. For some, it’s “ignore the virus,” and others it’s to adjust lifestyle and behaviors to live with the virus.

As a Disney shareholder I am not concerned. The virus will be with us until there is a widely available vaccine which is estimated to be mid to late 2021. After a vaccine Disney will recover quickly as long as they dont do anything irresponsible during the interim. The risk of going to Disney is huge for many people and concern they can unknowingly transmit it to someone else.

Disney has 2 main concerns - safety and profit. Disney will do everything possible for safety. No doubt. But Disney has to keep up the image and demand for their products and not lose money until this is over. There is a point that park capacity is profitable - I have heard estimates of between 35-50% of park capacity - parks are expensive to operate.

Disney has 2 main obstacles to over come - consumer confidence of traveling (including things outside their control) and value of the "temporary new normal". I am a local and many of my friends want to go once to see what its like and for something to do but have no interest going as frequently as they used to due to the reductions. There are other friends that just want to ride one favorite ride and leave. All have annual passes which does not generate additional revenue for Disney. All of my friends that have come once a year have said they are going to wait until there is a vaccine and things are back to normal - some have safety concerns but most have issues with whats been taken away with no news of what will be added. I hope the Disney imagineers are working overtime on replacement activities so that those that go to Disney will want to come back during this time.

I’m not going to argue about South Florida hospital capacity, as that has literally nothing to do with this thread. People are going to believe whatever makes them feel most comfortable. The reality is a 7/11 reopen is far from not happening but it is also far from a guarantee at this point. Anyone who knows Disney corporate well knows that they can reverse course in an instant, and I’ve talked to many CMs who are scheduled to return to work tomorrow who are concerned. You can tell me one hundred reasons why Disney absolutely has to reopen on 7/11 or a hundred reasons why they absolutely can’t open on 7/11 but that doesn’t change anything. Based on the mayor’s comments, it’s clear they’re taking a “wait and see” approach, so nothing is certain. It’s not worth the effort to try to convince yourself one outcome is more certain.

Has anyone else ordered Magic Bands based on their FP Planning Key Card affiliation? Once they announced the free MBs going away, I went ahead and ordered them via that affiliation since it would let me. I’ll be very curious to see if they come through or not!
Reporting back to say this worked! They arrived today. Glad we have extra free ones since the free-ness is going away soon in 2021.

Unfortunately, “living with the virus” might mean not doing things like vacations to theme parks and states that are hotspots right now.

“Living with the virus” means different things to different people. For some, it’s “ignore the virus,” and others it’s to adjust lifestyle and behaviors to live with the virus.
...I seriously just had a MAJOR Body Wars flashback. "Living with the Virus"-- BW 2.0
Hey Disney-- Play Pavillion-- it's not too late to change your mind!😁

Right. So if people don't want to go to a theme park they can stay home. No one is making them go.

For those that choose to go they can go and do it as safely as possible knowing the risks.

100% for the masks. I think we could do wonderful things if we collectively all wore them as much as possible (mostly properly).

I take issue with the bolded though. Safer at Disney than another non essential and busy place in the state, and in Orlando in particular? Probably. You’re right, the mask factor is big. Safer at Disney than not traveling from a place that is not seeing an outbreak, or safer than avoiding large crowds? Probably not. People really need to recognize the risk that is traveling into an outbreak and that even if Disney does really well they can’t control for everything. It’s not safer going than not going. That narrative can be dangerous.

That's why I said theoretically. Maybe I should have said "vacationing" or "seeking entertainment."

Am I safer at Disney than I am in my own home? No. Am I safer at Disney than I am at a Target in a non-spike state? Eh, probably not, but it still might be close. I work in healthcare, so am I safer at Disney than I am at work? Probably so.

What I meant was more of the expendable entertainment/travel sector. At the airport, at Publix to do your grocery shopping for your visit, at the beach...places like that. That said, it is all very relative. Like I said, I work in healthcare. So...I DO believe going to Disney is safer than not going. But, it's all relative to what you do on a daily basis/where you live/etc.

We will be there next weekend! Did you dine at Toppolino's? And if so, how was the modified experience?
I know your post wasn’t to me but we did dine at Topolinos character breakfast. It was different but we enjoyed it. The characters dance around the restaurant and pause for photos distanced from the table. I would say sit whoever wants to be in the photos toward the loop that the characters dance around as they don’t want you getting up to do photos. My kids are 8 and 12 so they were okay not hugging the characters. Breakfast was good. Topolinos is beautiful.

I’m not going to argue about South Florida hospital capacity, as that has literally nothing to do with this thread. People are going to believe whatever makes them feel most comfortable. The reality is a 7/11 reopen is far from not happening but it is also far from a guarantee at this point. Anyone who knows Disney corporate well knows that they can reverse course in an instant, and I’ve talked to many CMs who are scheduled to return to work tomorrow who are concerned. You can tell me one hundred reasons why Disney absolutely has to reopen on 7/11 or a hundred reasons why they absolutely can’t open on 7/11 but that doesn’t change anything. Based on the mayor’s comments, it’s clear they’re taking a “wait and see” approach, so nothing is certain. It’s not worth the effort to try to convince yourself one outcome is more certain.

I won't debate on hospital numbers anymore, as that is not the point of this tread. Besides, anytime I try to post anything remotely positive with respect Florida's covid situation not necessarily being as bad as everyone worries, it will just get deleted.

Beyond that, I will say that as a Floridian, I pray the numbers flatten out and everyone stay safe.

So this is from IHME, so take it with a massive, massive grain of salt. (Or would it be tiny, tiny?)

They have projections based on current projections, versus a universal mask requirement. The difference is staggering. As of Aug 1, the number of daily infections falls from 12K to 3K. Daily deaths from 104 to 44. Like I said, take it with a grain of salt, as most projections are just that. But...even if it's half right...it's pretty significant.

So, that means Disney is doing 100% the right thing as far as mandatory masks. And theoretically, you are safer there than off-property or in any other place...where masks are not required.

I hope that Florida, or at the very least Orange County takes a look at the state/local economy that Disney brings in, the hundreds of thousands of people who would be unemployed yet again, and make an executive decision for mandatory masks.
Orange County does have a mask mandate. So masks are now required even offsite of WDW in Orange County.

FYI Mayor Demings on MSNBC just now that he does not plan on delaying their reopen at this time. He also said that if these mandates work and we don’t keep seeing these increases, “We may still be able to do that safely.” If hospital capacity is reduced, he said “we may have to make another decision.” So like we’ve established, it’s clear they’re monitoring the situation and will make whatever decision they deem necessary.
So basically he said they are opening unless they don’t. 😊
Typical political gobelygook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter