Dis Old Fogies Clubhouse – Six of One, Half Dozen of the Other. Makes No Difference!

Post-Florence update: Thankfully, none of my cousins houses or cars flooded, although several fields on the family farm in NC flooded. Still waiting on the last of the flood waters to recede so folks can assess the damage and begin rebuilding. It's going to be a long time before things are back to their new normal. I haven't seen the damage personally -- staying away so I'm not part of the problem.

Florence did persuade our across the street neighbors to remove several very tall pine trees. The one tree that would hit our house should it fall our way is still standing. I figure I'm just one ice storm away from sleeping with a pine tree. :sad2:

My ankle and foot are much better. Thank you all for your healing thoughts! :grouphug:
@franandaj , Hope y'all had a great trip! Thanks for checking on me post-Florence. :love:

@pattyw , Glad to hear that y'all are having a good time! We enjoyed our time at Universal/IOA on our trip. The crowds were so low that we were able to walk in to the Leaky Cauldron, order, and sit down within 5 minutes of entering.

Thankfully, none of my cousins houses or cars flooded,

So since you didn't tell us about yourself, I imagine that you had no damage yourselves.

although several fields on the family farm in NC flooded. Still waiting on the last of the flood waters to recede so folks can assess the damage and begin rebuilding. It's going to be a long time before things are back to their new normal.

So were these just fields that can be re-done (whatever you do to fields) or were there structures like barns with equipment and stuff? I live in an asphalt jungle so we are not familiar with anything field-like here. There are either houses, businesses, churches, parks or roads where I live, I can't imagine wide expansive spaces where there are fields, wild growth, etc.

So since you didn't tell us about yourself, I imagine that you had no damage yourselves.

So were these just fields that can be re-done (whatever you do to fields) or were there structures like barns with equipment and stuff? I live in an asphalt jungle so we are not familiar with anything field-like here. There are either houses, businesses, churches, parks or roads where I live, I can't imagine wide expansive spaces where there are fields, wild growth, etc.
We had no damage, just lots of rain, some wind, had to drain the pool a few times, and clean up the fifty eleventy bazillion pine needles strewn about the property. We were very blessed.

The farm is in a very rural area about 40 miles inland from Wilmington, NC. The fields in question are about the same size as one parking lot at the Ticket and Transportation Center. The water was fresh water, not salt or brackish water, so other than clean up and replacing topsoil, if needed, there's little to do until just before spring planting. The fall crops were ruined. My cousin owns it (we're more like siblings), so he gets the pleasure of clean up. He didn't say, but I'm sure there's some minimal damage to one or more small outbuildings used to store tools and other farm supplies. Think the size of a WDW monorail compartment. The barn is on a rise, as are the house and old tobacco barn (no tobacco in there in years). He doesn't keep livestock last time I checked. I'll try to remember to take some photos the next time we go up, which will probably be Thanksgiving. We actually go "across the street" to the neighbors house, which is about a mile away. The neighbors do sod farming and their fields are larger.

It hurts to see photos and videos of places you've been many times flooded with water. I can't imagine how it must hurt if it's your property, your home, your workplace, your business, your church or place of worship.

These news reports will give you an idea of what they're going through. If I can find photos of flooding near the farm, I'll post a link.
https://www.southstrandnews.com/new...cle_bb241000-c529-11e8-ab9c-4b4ef5818c0c.html

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article219301425.html

Sorry your cousin lost their Fall crops YoYo, I live in an agricultural area so I know how hard that can be on small farms.

We enjoyed our time at Universal/IOA on our trip. The crowds were so low that we were able to walk in to the Leaky Cauldron, order, and sit down within 5 minutes of entering.

Wow! So nice to have low crowds!! :thumbsup2

Went to HHN Saturday night- it was pretty packed! and pretty frightening!:scared1:

Thanks @YoYoAurora for that detailed description of the damage. Sorry they list all their crops.

:wave: @ACDSNY you already know we booked a Mexican Riviera Cruise. I would have loved to do the Panama Canal, but I'm sure that was even more out of our price range. This one was bad enough!

Alison, you might want to check out the Panama prices as it might not be as bad as you're thinking. Our cat. 6 is about the same price as we paid back in 2011.

Opps, I just looked and the only HA cabins are outrageous at this point. Keep watching to see if cancellations pop up in the lower categories.

Last edited:
Alison, you might want to check out the Panama prices as it might not be as bad as you're thinking. Our cat. 6 is about the same price as we paid back in 2011.

Opps, I just looked and the only HA cabins are outrageous at this point. Keep watching to see if cancellations pop up in the lower categories.

Now that we're Platinum, if we don't book opening day we can't even bother. Our Cat 6C was $4370 and just the next day Jill's 5C was $5000. It's crazy how quickly the prices rise.

Yeah HA cabins sell out really quick and go for insane prices!

Now that we're Platinum, if we don't book opening day we can't even bother. Our Cat 6C was $4370 and just the next day Jill's 5C was $5000. It's crazy how quickly the prices rise.

Yeah HA cabins sell out really quick and go for insane prices!

I'm guessing some won't pay the deposits and may show up as available, but the prices go up. Our cat. 6A was $6,499 on opening day.

Just looked again and there's a HA 6A available on deck 7.

Last edited:
I wonder if that's our second favorite room 7136. :cloud9: We have our favorite room on the Mexican Riviera 6154.

Well, Hurricane Michael visited. Thankfully, we didn't have much damage. Our red shouldered hawk (I say our as she spends a lot of time in our yard, but she's wild) lost her favorite tree. Other than that, tons of leaves, and fifty eleventy million pine needles, we emerged unscathed. Our power blipped off and then back on, so I can't even whine about that. We're very blessed!

We're heading to Disney's Hilton Head Resort for Thanksgiving weekend! We found out yesterday that our wait list came though! It's happy dance time! :banana:

Glad you made it through with minimal harm. Poor Red Hawk losing her tree.

Nice way to spend Thanksgiving. We are just going out to dinner since it's just the two of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter