Disney’s Grand Floridian Society Orchestra Last Day Will Be Oct 3rd

I have a feeling Disney may reconsider this layoff.
While I think people would like that, layoffs are usually well thought out and quite permanent. Some of these orchestra members may find other jobs or move to other states, so bring them back may not even be possible.

Unfortunately a lot of the cuts happened pre-COVID when Disney was doing record numbers.

You bring up an important fact that last September even when WDW was doing record numbers and charging premium prices, they were cutting long time live entertainers across their properties. WDW is now about pushing IP characters, films and products and less about talented entertainers.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...performers-as-prices-rise-and-attendance-lags
Sadly, I don't ever see WDW bringing back the level of the unique entertainers like they had 10 years ago. If people keep flocking to WDW and paying the extremely high ticket prices, WDW has no reason to do so.

Yes, I work in an accounting/ finance capacity. Often we need to hit a certain number at the end of a fiscal year. Cutting loyal employees would be the last thing we would do to achieve that. Doesn’t mean we’ve never had lay-offs but it is the last resort rather than our go-to move.

I liked hearing them from mizners, but truth be told, 95% of WDW guests pribably have never even heard of them. We are not GF fans per se but always did the monorail pub crawl. That is the only reason we knew about them..

I didn't grow up a Disney fan. Of course I know about Mickey and all the characters but my family never really watched the movies and we never went to WDW. My first trip came at the age of 24 for my honeymoon. My then fiance convinced me to try it, as we were not beach people, etc... I agreed. We stayed at the GF so my first Disney experience was stepping out of the Mears van (no DME back then in 98) and walking into the lobby of the GF. I remember fresh flowers, and music playing. I spent that week in awe of what made Disney what it was. It was the plussing that Walt believed in. (after that trip I threw myself into learning all I could about Walt and how this empire was born). Disney has always been pricey and for a good amount of years it was worth it to me. I just love Disney. That hotel, and that week spent there, is part of what made me fall in love with Disney. It makes me sad to see Chapek strip away the magic. The parade being taken away to help make up for Shanghai's budget issues, the many "street" performers that were lost at the same time, and the many, many cost cutting measures that have happened since has my not going back to WDW until something changes. When I need a Disney fix you can find me at DL where Walt's vision still lives!
I've said it a million times....as long as we keep handing them our money for a lesser product, they have ZERO reasons to stop raising prices and offering less. I know we're ALL Disney obsessed and can't imagine not being that way, but we're doing this to ourselves if we keep accepting what they're giving us. Let Chapek and "the boys" come off of that mega-salary for longer than a few weeks. They are certainly counting on us being brainwashed the way we are. I tell ya, all those scents getting pumped out into the streets and the like have totally worked on us if we don't protest with our pocketbooks.

Yes, I work in an accounting/ finance capacity. Often we need to hit a certain number at the end of a fiscal year. Cutting loyal employees would be the last thing we would do to achieve that. Doesn’t mean we’ve never had lay-offs but it is the last resort rather than our go-to move.
Yeah but does this place you work for have thousands upon thousands of hopefuls willing to work for your company for next to nothing just to say they work there, or to get the perks? The answer probably being "no" is what keeps them grounded and humble most likely. Disney is well aware that they don't have to keep any employees long term. There's always plenty to pick from that will work for less. It will be interesting to see if they will eventually hire a new orchestra. I wonder if this group that just got let go will get any kind of severance or retirement? If they were there that long, surely they had retirement plans right? I don't know how Disney does that stuff or if they even offer anything like that? I remember being extremely let down when they got rid of Imaginum (I think they were called) in Epcot. The living statues. That to me was the first hint of things to come. I noticed that they have something similar at Disney Springs with the gold statue people but they aren't nearly as impressive as the ones in Epcot. You could stand there forever watching their art.

I've said it a million times....as long as we keep handing them our money for a lesser product, they have ZERO reasons to stop raising prices and offering less. I know we're ALL Disney obsessed and can't imagine not being that way, but we're doing this to ourselves if we keep accepting what they're giving us. Let Chapek and "the boys" come off of that mega-salary for longer than a few weeks. They are certainly counting on us being brainwashed the way we are. I tell ya, all those scents getting pumped out into the streets and the like have totally worked on us if we don't protest with our pocketbooks.

Which is why I’m now a Universal AP holder since my WDW pass expired and can’t be renewed. I hadn’t been to Universal since I was a kid.

Vacationing at Universal is so much cheaper and while different, I’m still very happy with the switch. The TMs are doing an amazing job during the pandemic. The Haunted Houses and activities are free for everyone this year. Hagrid’s is amazing and the Velocicoaster is opening next year. APs are buy 12 months get 3 free which include Halloween and Christmas both years so post-pandemic decorations. No reservations are needed during the pandemic. It is great.

I also have plans to go to Dollywood. They have added a lot of new attractions and even have a flower and food festival.

The new Poly. Moana carpet and $300 value resort rooms are going to appeal to someone, it just won’t be me...and I’m ok with that.

THIS is exactly what I’m afraid is going to happen long-term, and it may have already started. Let me say I hope to high heavens that I’m wrong, because I love Disney.

i think Chapek has decided to begin to hack away at the magic that makes Disney special. It starts with a little here, a little there, and the next thing you know, permanent changes are made and we’re soon saying “remember when” and “it used to be great.” Meanwhile, the younger fans begin to become indoctrinated to the “new” Disney and they accept it as the new norm - and keep coming back.

Like I said, I really hope that doesn’t happen.

THIS is exactly what I’m afraid is going to happen long-term, and it may have already started. Let me say I hope to high heavens that I’m wrong, because I love Disney.

i think Chapek has decided to begin to hack away at the magic that makes Disney special. It starts with a little here, a little there, and the next thing you know, permanent changes are made and we’re soon saying “remember when” and “it used to be great.” Meanwhile, the younger fans begin to become indoctrinated to the “new” Disney and they accept it as the new norm - and keep coming back.

It doesn't help that I just read where Yeeha Bob won't be coming back as a performer.

The thing about Yeehaw Bob is that it isn't even a smart business decision. If you've ever seen him you will know that he fills up the lounge at POR for 2 shows a night (I believe it is 3 nights a week). Those are people drinking over priced drinks and eating bad bar food that wouldn't be there without him. I understand that we are avoiding crowds now, but there has to be a way to cut the number of tables in half and still make money from his show. There is no other reason to go to this lounge.

This is why I am not going back. I will go to DL, because to me that still holds Walt's magic. But if Chapek starts stripping that away too I will be done going there as well. I don't have unlimited funds and if Disney wants to ruin what I have loved for so many years, then they aren't worth my vacation dollars anymore. There are plenty of other places in the world I have wanted to see and they will happily take my money.

This is me, too. I am much less impressed with Millennium Falcon:Smugglers Run than watching my son's face light up when he is watching Sergio the mime.

I went on that ride once and see no reason to go back again. The only part I cared to see what the inside of the falcon with the "checkerboard" and I got rushed through in 4 seconds so I couldn't even get a picture. The actual ride was a yawner to me.

The thing about Yeehaw Bob is that it isn't even a smart business decision. If you've ever seen him you will know that he fills up the lounge at POR for 2 shows a night (I believe it is 3 nights a week). Those are people drinking over priced drinks and eating bad bar food that wouldn't be there without him. I understand that we are avoiding crowds now, but there has to be a way to cut the number of tables in half and still make money from his show. There is no other reason to go to this lounge.

I guarantee in Disney's mind they assume the people will just find another bar to drink overpriced drinks and eat overpriced bar food so they don't get it.

What needs to happen is people need to stop going. Chapek needs to get fired and then we need to hopefully get someone in his seat that values the guests again. As much as some people hated Eisner he made the parks all about the guest experience, while clearly making money as well. I would have the same outlook in that role. As a Disney lover, if I feel special and excited while I am there I am more likely to open the wallet. If I feel like I am getting screwed at every turn I become tighter with the spending whether its at Disney or walking into a car dealership. My last several trips I have bought no merch. Its all very cookie cutter and not worth the money to me. I bring my own water bottle to refill for free and I don't go overboard on food.

If they continue to see low attendance then suddenly they will start "valuing" guests again.

Those pimento cheese fritters are pretty dang good though! Everything else was unimpressive. Bob definitely drew in a crowd as just before the show the place was dead, but then people started to notice him and it filled in almost immediately. Great show!

My wife and I were discussing the exact same thing last might.

Disney must realize that the guests who expect live entertainment at the resorts and parks are not their main target audience. Disney is now focusing on guests who are in their thirties who are probably not that interested in live entertainment and are just there for the characters and IP rides.

It is shame and a terrible miscalculation..

Whenever my family shares WDW memories, it is never about a ride, pool or a resort but about the stories of the cast members and performers who made our vacation a life long memory. Like the time my son at the age of 7 was picked to be part of the Spirit of America Fife & Drum Corp's march in Epcot. Sadly, Disney ended that entertainment group in September of 2014.

To me and my family, WDW rides, resorts and pools is were we went between those memories.

Last edited:
Strangely, I'm kinda glad that I no longer feel like a Disney vacation is the ONLY vacation. For 30 years, I've felt like I wouldn't be interested or happy going to a place that didn't have something Disney to do. I've broadened my horizons as of late and enjoyed cruises and trips to Europe for much MUCH less money than it costs me to do the same old same old Disney trip. Disney, for me, has become a side trip to my Universal trips when I visit Orlando. I used to go a couple of times a year for about 4 days each time and now I MAY visit one park, usually for a Christmas party. That's it. Surprisingly, I haven't missed it at all. I've just lost interest and all of the cut backs just further enforces my feelings. I'm too annoyed with them to care anymore. Some wealthy family can enjoy my spot. lol

Strangely, I'm kinda glad that I no longer feel like a Disney vacation is the ONLY vacation. For 30 years, I've felt like I wouldn't be interested or happy going to a place that didn't have something Disney to do. I've broadened my horizons as of late and enjoyed cruises and trips to Europe for much MUCH less money than it costs me to do the same old same old Disney trip. Disney, for me, has become a side trip to my Universal trips when I visit Orlando. I used to go a couple of times a year for about 4 days each time and now I MAY visit one park, usually for a Christmas party. That's it. Surprisingly, I haven't missed it at all. I've just lost interest and all of the cut backs just further enforces my feelings. I'm too annoyed with them to care anymore. Some wealthy family can enjoy my spot. lol
Good for you, but I feel the opposite. I will never lose my love for Disney and will continue to go at least once a month, if not more, for the rest of my life. There is no where in the world that brings me the happiness that Disney does. The cuts, while heartbreaking for those personally involved, don’t effect my touring at all as we never watch any of the entertainment (I never even knew who Yeehaw Bob was and I’ve been to Disney over 300 times). There is really nothing Disney could do that would stop me going there, short of closing the entire business down.

Good for you, but I feel the opposite. I will never lose my love for Disney and will continue to go at least once a month, if not more, for the rest of my life. There is no where in the world that brings me the happiness that Disney does. The cuts, while heartbreaking for those personally involved, don’t effect my touring at all as we never watch any of the entertainment (I never even knew who Yeehaw Bob was and I’ve been to Disney over 300 times). There is really nothing Disney could do that would stop me going there, short of closing the entire business down.
That's why they keep doing what their doing I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter