Disney alone as a minor?

@diswis, I was very surprised to see an "Unaccompanied minor" clause imbedded in my hotel reservation for the DL Hotel.

"Unaccompanied minors must be at least 14 years of age to check-in to the hotels. Such minors will need the following in order to check-in: (i) a valid form of ID (State issued DL, State ID, Military ID or Passport), (ii) a responsibility Waiver signed and notarized by their parent/guardian (Waiver may be obtained by calling Walt Disney Travel Co., Inc. at 714 520-5082), and (iii) if minor is pre-paid and would like to charge to the room, they must bring a valid credit card in their name to be placed on file for incidentals."

So it seems you and your friends could go if you wanted.

I am very surprised to hear of a Disney or any hotel allowing a child as young as 14 staying in a room unaccompanied isn’t checking in for a hotel room an actual contract. Since when can a minor sign a contract or have a credit card in their name. After all you need stable income to apply for one. I wonder why the OP thinks it’s ok for her and her minor friends to stay in a hotel room. 17 and younger is still a minor.

I do see the PP is referencing information from DL. There might be California (or other individual state) laws allowing renting a hotel room to a minor.

@diswis, I was very surprised to see an "Unaccompanied minor" clause imbedded in my hotel reservation for the DL Hotel.

"Unaccompanied minors must be at least 14 years of age to check-in to the hotels. Such minors will need the following in order to check-in: (i) a valid form of ID (State issued DL, State ID, Military ID or Passport), (ii) a responsibility Waiver signed and notarized by their parent/guardian (Waiver may be obtained by calling Walt Disney Travel Co., Inc. at 714 520-5082), and (iii) if minor is pre-paid and would like to charge to the room, they must bring a valid credit card in their name to be placed on file for incidentals."

Not at WDW.

https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...red-rent-room-within-walt-disneyworld-240638/
What is the minimum age required to rent a room within the Walt Disney World resort? Thank you”

Hi Kim!

The minimum age required to book a Walt Disney World resort room reservation is 18 and older. Also required is a credit card in the reservation holders name. Guests under 18 need an adult with a valid credit card in order to reserve the resort room as well as be present during check in.

Hope this helps you plan your magical vacation!
-Malanie​

Not at WDW.

https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...red-rent-room-within-walt-disneyworld-240638/
What is the minimum age required to rent a room within the Walt Disney World resort? Thank you”

Hi Kim!

The minimum age required to book a Walt Disney World resort room reservation is 18 and older. Also required is a credit card in the reservation holders name. Guests under 18 need an adult with a valid credit card in order to reserve the resort room as well as be present during check in.

Hope this helps you plan your magical vacation!
-Malanie​

I guess this answers the OP question. No.

I’d be interested if any major hotel chain in the United States has recently (past year or so) has knowingly allowed a minor to check in and stay on their own. Seems like it would be a HUGE liability risk if something were to happen to the child.

I am very surprised to hear of a Disney or any hotel allowing a child as young as 14 staying in a room unaccompanied isn’t checking in for a hotel room an actual contract. Since when can a minor sign a contract or have a credit card in their name. After all you need stable income to apply for one. I wonder why the OP thinks it’s ok for her and her minor friends to stay in a hotel room. 17 and younger is still a minor.
Had no idea. I knew that some people I know stay at local hotels, but I recently figured out they had an adult there.
Glad I know the answer now.

Where did you see that on the website?
Thank you though!

"imbedded in my hotel reservation for the DL Hotel." - not Walt Disney World at all.
Yep, I know.
As I stated earlier, DL was an option for us because I have family in Irvine.
If it's possible (if not, no biggie). It might be fun to stay there for a night.

I’d be interested if any major hotel chain in the United States has recently (past year or so) has knowingly allowed a minor to check in and stay on their own. Seems like it would be a HUGE liability risk if something were to happen to the child.
My then 14 and 16 year olds checked into a Marriott with my credit card with no issues.

As I posted above, and as a PP just posted now, you can have an adult "sign the contract" as you put it, on behalf of the child in advance. It happens all the time in all sorts of venues, and really isn't unusual at all in hotels.

As I posted above, and as a PP just posted now, you can have an adult "sign the contract" as you put it, on behalf of the child in advance. It happens all the time in all sorts of venues, and really isn't unusual at all in hotels.
That's really nice. I couldn't find information on it, and our families think it'd be good for us to go, so this may be a viable option. My mom would go, but she can't take the time off of work.
Thank you so much! I wonder which hotels would do this. If all else fails, I'll just stay with my family in DL instead.

If I was a hotel manager or even an employee checking in a minor I would not feel right about it. Like someone else said to much of a liability

Where did you see that on the website?
Thank you though!

I saw it in my DL Hotel confirmation email. It was in there along with a long list of everything they want a person to be aware of. I would call that number in the quote to find out about the waiver and anything else you and your parents are wondering about.

I think it's cool you're doing the legwork! I would be more inclined to hear my kid out if she got her facts together beforehand.

Not quite the same thing but just the part about my minors checking in a hotel. Even though your an adult at 18 you can’t rent a car until 25. Quite a few years ago we were on a big family vacation. And my son whose in law enforcement couldn’t rent a car cause he was under 25. Didn’t make much sense but those were the rules. He could carry a gun. Drive at high speeds in squads But couldn’t rent a car. These companies are just protecting themselves.

Not quite the same thing but just the part about my minors checking in a hotel. Even though your an adult at 18 you can’t rent a car until 25. Quite a few years ago we were on a big family vacation. And my son whose in law enforcement couldn’t rent a car cause he was under 25. Didn’t make much sense but those were the rules. He could carry a gun. Drive at high speeds in squads But couldn’t rent a car. These companies are just protecting themselves.

That's not true of all rental companies. Each has different stipulations and it can vary by state as well. For instance, state law allows anyone 18 and older to rent a car in MI and NY. Outside of those 2 states, most rental companies will rent to anyone 20 or 21 and older. They generally charge an additional "Young Driver fee" but some companies waive it if you're a member of certain organizations like AAA. Government and military personnel can also rent vehicles at 18 and are generally not charged the young driver fee.

As a Marine and later as a vet, I've rented cars and moving trucks when I was under 25 and never been assessed the fee or been given difficulty.

If I was a hotel manager or even an employee checking in a minor I would not feel right about it. Like someone else said to much of a liability

Would you feel better letting the minor sleep alone at night in an airport because you weren't willing to check them in, despite having written authorization from their parent or legal guardian and having a credit card on file?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter