Disney's $1 billion dollar bet on magical wristband - Wired

Interesting that you bring up Shanghai. If you think it would be crazy for WDC to invest in WDW, why isn't it crazy to spend $5B on a new park halfway around the world?
Shanghai is a brand new market for disney they are not well represented in mainland China at all. This is the first step to grow that market and of course get profits. Now then again they are only 40% owners in this project and the Chinese government the other majority owners Shendi, they aren't that easy to work with.

since many of us want even more, how about some ideas where they can have the rides built for them

I think that's a pixie dust discussion more suited to the TPAS Community forum.

Last edited:
Shanghai is a brand new market for disney they are not well represented in mainland China at all. This is the first step to grow that market and of course get profits. Now then again they are only 40% owners in this project and the Chinese government the other majority owners Shendi, they aren't that easy to work with.

Agreed - and why WDC has no problem siphoning profits from domestic parks to finance that effort rather than bolster up WDW. But some don't seem to understand that.

I agree, I am looking for ways to get them to do it.

Everybody else comes up with "they just should".
What is this statement, "I am looking for ways to get them to do it." The only way Disney is going to switch directions is for them to see a decline in attendance and a decline in guest satisfaction. I think the guest satisfaction is declining.

I'm also seeing that more people are spending more of their vacation dollars on other activities around the Orlando area. Yes, Jade we are all aware that you have done this type of Disney vacation all along. We've seen your fishing pictures and your beach pictures. But the reality is, most people are not as wealthy as you are. So they, me included, cannot afford to stay at a Disney deluxe, go golfing in the morning and then visit a park in the evening. Instead, we make either or choices. For our next visit, we are dividing time between Universal and WDW. More than anything else, I think Universal's appeal and increasing attendance numbers may force Disney to build more attractions. IMO, their locking in guests did not pay off.

I also want to point out the latest speculation is that MDE cost 2.5 billion dollars, not the 1 billion Disney claimed in the original Wired PR piece.

I also want to point out the latest speculation is that MDE cost 2.5 billion dollars, not the 1 billion Disney claimed in the original Wired PR piece.

So the $1 Billion I suggested for FP+ could be about right.

What is this statement, "I am looking for ways to get them to do it."

It was stated they wont invest in rides.

I had an idea with FP+ that could cover the investment, a new "idea".

The only other "ideas" I've seen are.....OK none.

I would also like to say that I really am enjoying this thread. It's nice that everyone is allowed to exchange opinions without being reported.
Yes but with FP+ they "could" have them pay for it. Plus that's assuming $1Billion which is high IMO for just FP+, and who knows how many future parks will have it and they could sell the rights as well, like to Shanghai.

Who is the "them" you are referring to? If you're talking about guests, I don't think I would.

I'm also seeing that more people are spending more of their vacation dollars on other activities around the Orlando area. Yes, Jade we are all aware that you have done this type of Disney vacation all along. We've seen your fishing pictures and your beach pictures. But the reality is, most people are not as wealthy as you are. So they, me included, cannot afford to stay at a Disney deluxe, go golfing in the morning and then visit a park in the evening. Instead, we make either or choices. For our next visit, we are dividing time between Universal and WDW. More than anything else, I think Universal's appeal and increasing attendance numbers may force Disney to build more attractions. IMO, their locking in guests did not pay off.

It's still about "choices". FP+ offers more "choices IMO.

Less money to spend-do what LT did and stay/eat offsite with less hurry/concern of getting to the parks asap.

Medium money-"choose" what you want to do in the am/afternoon with FP+ evenings scheduled. RD any park you want, sleep in, swim, water park, shop-these all are normal visits decisions IMO.

Deluxe-same as mod, but add other "FL" activities and "WDW" activities. Fishings is $40 EA, golf is $95, I guess I'm rich.

I would also like to say that I really am enjoying this thread. It's nice that everyone is allowed to exchange opinions without

Who is the "them" you are referring to? If you're talking about guests, I don't think I would.

Yes guests sorry-not everybody would. SB is fine for many, and pricing would be dependant on time of year/crowds etc.

So the $1 Billion I suggested for FP+ could be about right.
I don't see how FP+ can cost 1 billion itself because it's in the system it's not like it's a separate part. You do FP within the app. Prior to this they had FP kiosks at each ride now they just have kiosks in central locations that are computerized. So I don't see how you can say FP+ cost one billion itself.

It was stated they wont invest in rides.

I had an idea with FP+ that could cover the investment, a new "idea".

The only other "ideas" I've seen are.....OK none.
So if you come up with an idea then what it's just an idea it can't be used. Disney doesn't come to these sites for ideas.

I guess I'm rich.

It's simply a frame of mind, Jade. :)

I can understand your idea of monetizing FP's. It's not a complicated concept and one I'm sure they've considered. And if they thought they could make additional $$$ from it without somehow stigmatizing the parks in the process, I'm sure they would already be doing it.

I don't see how FP+ can cost 1 billion itself because it's in the system it's not like it's a separate part. You do FP within the app. Prior to this they had FP kiosks at each ride now they just have kiosks in central locations that are computerized. So I don't see how you can say FP+ cost one billion itself.

Completely agree-but if you don't pick really high-that becomes the point of contention, not the discussion/suggestion/examples/ideas.

Where did you get that 100 million number for Everest? Because just in comparison to the proposed budget for frozen in Norway where they are keeping the same track layout they are spending 75 million. I feel like Everest with all that rock work should've cost more than that.
It's just like how My Magic cost only 1 billion. Disney only spent 500 million in the HKD expansion. DAK was only for 800 million. DCA expansion was just a little over 1 billion. You know rteetz, like that. lol

So if you come up with an idea then what it's just an idea it can't be used. Disney doesn't come to these sites for ideas.

I agree, but we could be having sample conversations that other are as well. The idea's could be out there bouncing around.

Yes guests sorry-not everybody would. SB is fine for many, and pricing would be dependant on time of year/crowds etc.
Not saying that I'd be in SB either. It gets to the point where WDW is not worth it. On my previous FP+ trip and on my upcoming trip, I had a hard time deciding which attractions were worth a FP+ reservation. To me , they seem mediocre.

For Jade's edification, here are just a half dozen that might go a long way in furthering the WDW brand. Granted, it's difficult if not impossible to tie a revenue line to many of them which is why we'll never see them under the existing regime:

1. Expand the monorail circuit
2. Build a 5th gate
3. Re-purpose any attraction that currently has a wait time of less than 15 minutes even on the heaviest crowd days
4. Institute park capacity limits tied to enjoyment levels rather than safety levels.
5. Conduct non-self-serving guest surveys to determine actual expectations in terms of daily accomplishments and build capacity to meet that demand in order to remove restrictive measures like tiering.
6. Put the park guest first.

It's still about "choices". FP+ offers more "choices IMO.

Less money to spend-do what LT did and stay/eat offsite with less hurry/concern of getting to the parks asap.

Medium money-"choose" what you want to do in the am/afternoon with FP+ evenings scheduled. RD any park you want, sleep in, swim, water park, shop-these all are normal visits decisions IMO.

Deluxe-same as mod, but add other "FL" activities and "WDW" activities. Fishings is $40 EA, golf is $95, I guess I'm rich.
Golf is $95 per person. So for a family of 4 that is close to $400 dollars. Yes, Jade, life is great for you. But there are an awful lot of people that cannot afford to spend an extra $400/day on their Disney vacations. Nor can they afford the deluxe hotels and everything else you and your family enjoy. I think it's great that you are bale to visit the parks whenever your want and are able to afford anything you want, but I again I don't think thet's true for a lot of people.

For Jade's edification, here are just a half dozen that might go a long way in furthering the WDW brand. Granted, it's difficult if not impossible to tie a revenue line to many of them which is why we'll never see them under the existing regime:

1. Expand the monorail circuit
2. Build a 5th gate
3. Re-purpose any attraction that currently has a wait time of less than 15 minutes even on the heaviest crowd days
4. Institute park capacity limits tied to enjoyment levels rather than safety levels.
5. Conduct non-self-serving guest surveys to determine actual expectations in terms of daily accomplishments and build capacity to meet that demand in order to remove restrictive measures like tiering.
6. Put the park guest first.
These are great ideas, but they will never happen because Disney has lost sight of #6

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter