Do you buy your daughter/DIL a gift for mother's day if they have children?

We have had long standing peace treaties and do not exchange gifts for any holiday except Christmas.

My wife's parents and brother were against it at first but are ardent supporters of the treaty now.

Holidays became too much of I will buy you a $50 dollar gift you won't use so you can buy me a $50 gift I won't use. That became I will give you a $50 gift card so you can give me a $50 gift card.

I think MIL got me a small gift the first year or two—a flower to plant I think. The first time might have been in 2000 when I was actually pregnant with my first. And then maybe when oldest DD was a baby. Nothing since then which is fine. My parents have never gotten me a MD gift. I don’t expect one so that is also fine.

It never occurred to me to expect gifts from my mom or MIL on mother's day. When I talk to my mom that day she will wish me happy mother's day too, but that is it. (thankfully? in this case) we live very far from both families, so we have never had to deal with visits on mother's day. For mother's day I get breakfast in bed, cooked by the kids (well, they help) and then we do whatever I want. We send cards and a small gift to my mom and MIL, and to our grandparents when they were alive.

When my kids are older I would love to live close enough to celebrate with them, even offer to babysit, but if not then I would probably just tell them happy mother's day on the phone and call it good.

Nothing to my daughter with kids and nothing from mother or MIL. Honestly, never crossed my mind until reading this thread.

Original poster here :wave2:. I have to say I first posted this hoping to maybe get some ideas on what to get my 2 DDs for Mothers Day. But this thread turned into so much more for me. I loved reading everyone's story, some funny, some happy and some sad but all so interesting. Still don't know what to get my DDs but keep the posts coming. I love reading them!

And Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's out there in DISboard Land :flower3:

What more could you possibly give my family and me!
You are the most caring, thoughtful and generous mother and nana we could ever need!
Just being able to be with you, have Sunday dinners with my family, attend college baseball games, vacation with you and talk every day is the ONLY gift I ever need!

LOVE you karensi :)
DD No. 1

My DSis once asked me if my DH ever got me anything for Mother’s Day, which I found odd, as we never had kids. I never got him a Father’s Day present either. It was kind of like checking the not applicable box on a survey.

My mom sends cards (because she makes them herself and loves to do it) and even will send DH one on Father’s Day. MIL has never done anything for me

What more could you possibly give my family and me!
You are the most caring, thoughtful and generous mother and nana we could ever need!
Just being able to be with you, have Sunday dinners with my family, attend college baseball games, vacation with you and talk every day is the ONLY gift I ever need!

LOVE you karensi :)
DD No. 1

Ahhhhh, thank you!! That's so sweet. Love you too js. :love:

Yes, I get her a card and put a little something in it... Starbucks GC, or Target GC... or I have made a basket a few times with fun stuff in it for her...

I've never received anything from MIL for Mother's Day, but we send a card or flowers. My mom never sent anything prior to her current medical condition, but she would always call and say it. So, as a DIL, nothing, as a daughter, got calls.

With my DD I send a card, I may send flowers.

My mother sometimes sends a card. I usually call her on MD if I'm able. We bought her a cell phone and pay her monthly cell bill. That's her gift for all occasions during the year.

I thought of this thread when I was at the dollar store today buying mother's day cards :). I've chosen, personally, to honor all women who "mother" somehow/someway in my life. Mom/Stepmom/Mother-in-law are obvious. My brother's wife and my husband's sister are two women who don't have children, but who played HUGE roles in helping my DS grow up to be the good person he is today, so they each get one. My godmother and DS's godmother get one each for being strong religious influences in our lives. And my two best friends, get one each for being such very strong women, great role models, and being "mothering" to me when I need a hug in person since my own mom lives so far away.

Then there's my son's live-in girlfriend who gets one that's bought by me, but officially from the grand-dog. She makes my son so happy, and will be a WONDERFUL mother to my grandkids someday (fingers crossed!).

As far as presents are concerned, since it's spring, we do huge flowering baskets for everyone, and have nice meals with the different moms all weekend long. Call me a softie, but I love Mother's Day!

Terri

Last year was my daughters first Mother’s Day since she had my grandson in April. I bought her a bracelet that said Mom on it from Kohl’s. This year I am giving her a wooden block with a saying about how this boy calls her Mom, I forget the exact words. I have decided I will keep giving her a little gift because I’m not the only Mom now. My MIL doesn’t get me anything but I don’t expect it but it would be nice if she ever said you’re a good mom to her grandchildren.

I will often, but not always buy my "girls" a gift on Mother's day. I do not bother with cards. Sometimes chocolates, other times flowers. Always something small though, it is meant to be a token of appreciation, and not a huge gift. I do not think that one needs to be a Mom to be a role model or mentor to younger people.

My Son and DDIL always buy the "girls" chocolates for Easter. I always like that little extra.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter