Do You Consider Yourself a Feminist?

Do You Consider Yourself a Feminist?

• Yes

• No

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disparities increase as time passes. Maybe it's general sexism, maybe it's because women take off more time (years) to raise children than men do...

Seven cents on a dollar is minimal, although much kore than no tax. If you live in a state that taxes everything, no big deal. I happen to live in a syate that doesn't tax necessities, period supplies included.

Some insurance compamies cover ED medication but not birth control. How in the world is that equality?

A box of tampons would be .49 tax. Sure it would be better to be 0 but still not enough to be up in arms about.

Birth control should be covered, I agree. Dd pays $0 for her birth control. Completely covered by insurance. She has never had to pay for it and has been covered under 3 different plans since she has been on them.

Again, there is no way to be equal in this. At the end of the day, the burden on asking a women to carry and birth a baby is greater than the burden of the man's loss of rights.

This is the only one of your points that I take issue with. MAJOR issue...

I definitely agree that the final decision about whether a fetus is carried to term should be made by the woman who would have to carry it.

However, once the baby is born, if the woman decides she wants to raise the child...the man (biological father) should have the right to sign away his parental rights, if he doesn't want to be in the child's life.

The man should have no legal power in the decision regarding whether an abortion is performed, but he should have an equal say in what happens once the baby actually is born (if there is no abortion performed).

I accept that "back in the day" -- such an exact term -- pregnancy was super dangerous, and many women died. However, I personally know no one and have never heard of anyone in real life who died as a result of pregnancy or delivery. Oh, I know people who've had horrible-bad deliveries, but I know no of no mothers who have literally died.

The worst things I personally know: My cousin went back to work too soon after delivery, hemmoraged, and put herself back in the hospital. My sister was in labor for three grueling days -- don't ask why she didn't opt for a C-section; I don't know. That's kinda it for bad tales from my "I really know them" storybook.

Does anyone here know anyone IN REAL LIFE who died in modern times -- say, the last 50 years? -- as a result of pregnancy or delivery?

I don't know them, but two women died from childbirth complications at the hospital my sister had my nephew in within a month of his birth. One the day after my nephew was born.

Disagree. When you marry, you agree to share your lives together ... while he could technically go procreate with someone else, that wouldn't really work in practice.

I'm not sure where the "behind someone's back" thing is coming from.

Behind their back meaning without discussing it with their partner. This was in response to a doctor needing a spouse's permission to perform a tubal. I absolutely think a couple should discuss sterilization before going through with it, but I don't think a doctor should need anyone's consent but the patient.

This is the only one of your points that I take issue with. MAJOR issue...

I definitely agree that the final decision about whether a fetus is carried to term should be made by the woman who would have to carry it.

However, once the baby is born, if the woman decides she wants to raise the child...the man (biological father) should have the right to sign away his parental rights, if he doesn't want to be in the child's life.

The man should have no legal power in the decision regarding whether an abortion is performed, but he should have an equal say in what happens once the baby actually is born (if there is no abortion performed).
No, the man should not have that right. The CHILD is entitled to the financial support of both parents. The father cannot opt out. It has nothing to do with the mother’s rights but with the child’s. The money is for the child.

No, the man should not have that right. The CHILD is entitled to the financial support of both parents. The father cannot opt out. It has nothing to do with the mother’s rights but with the child’s. The money is for the child.

But she has the option to have an abortion if she doesn’t want the financial burden of a child. Where is his choice?

To get back to the original topic, I was listening to a story on NPR this morning that really underscored how far we are from true equality between the sexes. It was about TripAdvisor's new policy of highlighting reviews that talk about sexual assault travelers have experienced at the hands of resort staff, and there was an "expert" (didn't catch her title) on talking about the new policy and travel safety more broadly. Her first piece of advice? Women shouldn't travel alone. Period, full stop. She was careful to add niceties about "of course it is never the victim's fault", but then went on to say that women should always have a traveling companion, avoid going places alone as much as possible and pre-arrange check-ins if they do so, refrain from drinking or getting friendly with other travelers, etc. How can anyone claim we have equality if we cannot even move through the world in the same way a man can, without having someone supervising or checking in with us like we're children?

I have to travel for work alone sometimes. There is a huge difference in what I do on work trips compared to my male colleagues.

I’m sorry, but this...I just can’t.

Are you saying she doesn’t? It’s still legal in a lot of states isn’t it?

That’s the way many here want it to stay isn’t it?

So if she has the choice to abort and not have the financial responsibility of a child; what choice does the father have?

Are you saying she doesn’t? It’s still legal in a lot of states isn’t it?

That’s the way many here want it to stay isn’t it?

So if she has the choice to abort and not have the financial responsibility of a child; what choice does the father have?

If he doesn't want to have a baby, he can very easily without pain or discomfort not put his semen into a woman. He has the easiest choice of all.

If he doesn't want to have a baby, he can very easily without pain or discomfort not put his semen into a woman. He has the easiest choice of all.

Oh ok. So men are responsible for making the choice BEFORE a pregnancy occurs. But women don’t have that responsibility.

That is the biggest bunch of bs I have ever read. Yes he can use a condom. But last I checked she had to be in the room. She can refuse to have sex without it. Or not have sex with someone who doesn’t suggest it.

That whole article sounds like every “little woman” is a victim to the big bad man that refuses to use a condom.
You have been treating men like victims this entire thread. They are completely in charge of where their semen goes. Its really that simple.

A box of tampons would be .49 tax. Sure it would be better to be 0 but still not enough to be up in arms about.
Tax for me is 9.475% though it can be as high as 10-11% depending on where you are buying it from here. If I go to the Walmart by my house it's 9.475% but across the street at a local grocery store it's 10.475% because that local grocery store is now in a special tax district.

ONE box is not something I would go up in arms over but when you compound that with a lifetime's worth:
~add in pads and panty liners for women who use them
~add in the different sizes you may need
~add in different ones for different stages of your period.

Yeah it's a hell of a lot. I wish I didn't have to pay for tax for it though.

Isn’t the first sign of ovarian cancer found in a pelvic exam?

According to what I just read, less than 1/3 of rapes are reported to the police. How do we change that? I mean that as a serious question. Who is discouraging them?

Women are often discouraged from reporting rape. There has been a lot that has come out over the past several years aobut rape on campuses, and I'm pretty sure there wa s a movie made about it. In those cases, they are often discouraged by campus police/authorities. Then outside the campus world, police (if they make the snap judgement that there isn't much evidence) or if they make a judgement whether the woman 'deserved' it, they might discourage it.

Thirdly, there have been scandals uncovered about rape kits never being examined or thrown away.

In the case of Adrian Schoolcraft, he was a cop in NYC who wore a wire and exposed many irregularities in the police department, including discouraging reports of rape to keep the crime stats down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter