Do you have a medical marijuana card?

Thanks. What does CBD stand for? Is the oil form readily available and do you need a prescription for it? I was interested to hear about the potential for use by MS patients. I know several of them who would simply never, ever smoke pot (or smoke anything else either).

And we had a real dilemma a couple of years ago. My brother who was a mentally-disabled dependent adult died of cancer. At one point it was suggested that maybe medical marijuana would be useful as part of his comfort measures. We had no clue how to to get him to smoke it and no other delivery method was suggested. Blessedly, he was kept very comfortable with conventional pain meds but we would have like to be able to explore options had they become required.

It's just the abbreviation for cannabidiol. Here's some general info on legality: https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/cbd-oil-legal-depends-ask

And here's some info about the individual state regulations about the substance mentioned in the first article: https://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=006473

It's just the abbreviation for cannabidiol. Here's some general info on legality: https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/cbd-oil-legal-depends-ask

And here's some info about the individual state regulations about the substance mentioned in the first article: https://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=006473
Supposedly recreational use of pot will become legal in every Canadian jurisdiction in 2018. I guess that will render the need for a medical marijuana prescription moot, but I don't know if other forms of the substance will be marketed the way the smoke will be.

In MA you need to have an ID card in order to obtain medical marijuana. You have to go to a licensed doctor that does medical marijuana evaluations. Once you are approved you then have to go on the MA state website and register and they will send you your card. The dispensaries are scattered through-out the state. In order to get inside you have to be let in by security and then they check your ID card and your MA license/legal ID on the state website. They then "buzz" another door open and let you in to the dispensary. It is cash or debit cards. The state keeps track of how much you buy and limits the amounts. Although, that limit is pretty high.

MA also provides an ID for a "caregiver." That person can do everything that the "patient" requires buy it, transport it, grow it but cannot use it. They too have to apply and be registered with the state and are issued an ID.

Marijuana has been legalized in MA, but nothing is happening yet so they are still going by the Medical Marijuana rules. No recreational yet.

Supposedly recreational use of pot will become legal in every Canadian jurisdiction in 2018. I guess that will render the need for a medical marijuana prescription moot, but I don't know if other forms of the substance will be marketed the way the smoke will be.

I mentioned earlier that I'm in Washington where it's legal. I don't smoke it (but I'm not morally opposed), but have friends that do and I have been inside the shops with them. It really is like going into any specialty. There are display cases with edibles, oils, joints, loose material, pipes, bongs, etc. You tell the guy behind the counter what you're "in the mood for", what you like, what you don't like (like picking out a wine!) and they'll make suggestions. So, down here at least, you can get just about anything. You can also grow your own.

I mentioned earlier that I'm in Washington where it's legal. I don't smoke it (but I'm not morally opposed), but have friends that do and I have been inside the shops with them. It really is like going into any specialty. There are display cases with edibles, oils, joints, loose material, pipes, bongs, etc. You tell the guy behind the counter what you're "in the mood for", what you like, what you don't like (like picking out a wine!) and they'll make suggestions. So, down here at least, you can get just about anything. You can also grow your own.
Thanks again. The details are still really, really fuzzy on how it's going to be handled here. Seems like something they better get going on.

Thanks again. The details are still really, really fuzzy on how it's going to be handled here. Seems like something they better get going on.

I will tread carefully so as not to come off as political, but just know that in the US, technically federal law says recreational marijuana is illegal. Individual states have made laws saying that it is legal, and right now those states are choosing to not enforce federal law. The current administration is pushing to start enforcing that federal law, which would take precedent over the state laws and therefore make recreational marijuana illegal again (they have said they will not touch medical marijuana). My husband is a police officer so, if that were to ever happen, it would sure put him in a tricky spot!

It isn't legal in my state, and as @sonnyjane said, it is still illegal on the federal level.

CBD oil is legal in every state, though, so it can be used to treat diseases like epilepsy. I am the parent of a child with epilepsy and am on a couple of Facebook groups for parents of children with epilepsy, and it's pretty widely used there. It doesn't always work, but for some kids with intractable epilepsy it is a wonder drug.

CBD oil is legal in every state, though, so it can be used to treat diseases like epilepsy. I am the parent of a child with epilepsy and am on a couple of Facebook groups for parents of children with epilepsy, and it's pretty widely used there. It doesn't always work, but for some kids with intractable epilepsy it is a wonder drug.

I read an article in our local paper about a child who was having hundreds of seizures a day. Traditional meds weren’t working. The parents tried CBD and the seizures were radically reduced. The child was finally able to return to school, but the school refused to give the CBD since it is illegal. I don’t have time to search for the article, but it really changed how I look at CBD and it’s use in children.

ETA: The article I read said it was illegal. Maybe it’s just illegal for use in children if it’s technically legal in all states???

Thanks. What does CBD stand for? Is the oil form readily available and do you need a prescription for it? I was interested to hear about the potential for use by MS patients. I know several of them who would simply never, ever smoke pot (or smoke anything else either).

And we had a real dilemma a couple of years ago. My brother who was a mentally-disabled dependent adult died of cancer. At one point it was suggested that maybe medical marijuana would be useful as part of his comfort measures. We had no clue how to to get him to smoke it and no other delivery method was suggested. Blessedly, he was kept very comfortable with conventional pain meds but we would have like to be able to explore options had they become required.
CBD is Cannabidiol. I can get it at our local healthy living store. $30 for 30 capsules. No prescription needed.

I read an article in our local paper about a child who was having hundreds of seizures a day. Traditional meds weren’t working. The parents tried CBD and the seizures were radically reduced. The child was finally able to return to school, but the school refused to give the CBD since it is illegal. I don’t have time to search for the article, but it really changed how I look at CBD and it’s use in children.

ETA: The article I read said it was illegal. Maybe it’s just illegal for use in children if it’s technically legal in all states???

Some states require that physicians try a certain number of other drugs before they use CBD oil; maybe that was the case.

I think that the main misconception that people have is that the cannabinoid oil has the same intoxicating qualities that marijuana has; it doesn't. In my opinion it's simply a naturally-derived drug, like any other.

I wouldn't waste my time getting a medical marijuana card. It is so easy to get good marijuana. I guarantee that most people know someone who can get them marijuana if they just asked a few friends. Someone knows someone. It is readily available.

Unfortunately, it's not always that simple. My guy sometimes disappears for days at a time, or doesn't return my texts, or sells me schwag. I don't have any backup guys, mainly because Mrs. Homie has forbidden me from mentioning The Forbidden Plant to anyone except my guy. YMMV.

Also, I don't have firsthand experience with this, but in some jurisdictions being caught with so much as a miligram is an instant prison sentence, whether you're an old, mellow stoner like me, or a young black kid from the ghetto. I hear that Louisiana and Oklahoma, for example, both take pot offenses seriously. How it pans out for you in here in Missouri, on the other hand, depends on your complexion, how much sass you give the cop, what kind of a mood the judge is in, etc.

Last edited:
Just chiming in here to vouch for the use of CBD oil. I suffer from four chronic illnesses, one of which includes arthritis pain, and on top of that suffer from migraines. I also suffer from anxiety and have a hard time sleeping. I'd heard about CBD oil through Reddit, did extensive research, and settled on legal, quality product by a company in Colorado. It took a while to see results, but I can honestly say that it makes a huge difference. My anxiety has improved, as has my sleep quality. And my migraines have decreased in intensity and frequency, and my arthritis inflammation has subsided for the most part. I have to warn that the dosage and the brands are trial and error, but I definitely recommend if you've not gotten relief from anything else.

Unfortunately, it's not always that simple. My guy sometimes disappears for days at a time, or doesn't return my texts, or sells me schwag. I don't have any backup guys, mainly because Mrs. Homie has forbidden me from mentioning The Forbidden Plant to anyone except my guy. YMMV.

Also, I don't have firsthand experience with this, but in some jurisdictions being caught with so much as a miligram is an instant prison sentence, whether you're and old, mellow stoner like me, or a young black kid from the ghetto. I hear that Louisiana and Oklahoma, for example, both take pot offenses seriously. How it pans out for you in here in Missouri, on the other hand, depends on your complexion, how much sass you give the cop, what kind of a mood the judge is in, etc.

I know you didn't mean to but this has me LOL. Where you live definitely has an impact. I'm in NJ it's very easy to get marijuana around here.

Just chiming in here to vouch for the use of CBD oil. I suffer from four chronic illnesses, one of which includes arthritis pain, and on top of that suffer from migraines. I also suffer from anxiety and have a hard time sleeping. I'd heard about CBD oil through Reddit, did extensive research, and settled on legal, quality product by a company in Colorado. It took a while to see results, but I can honestly say that it makes a huge difference. My anxiety has improved, as has my sleep quality. And my migraines have decreased in intensity and frequency, and my arthritis inflammation has subsided for the most part. I have to warn that the dosage and the brands are trial and error, but I definitely recommend if you've not gotten relief from anything else.
So, did you need a medical marijuana card to purchase the CBD oil? I'm in CA and suffer from anxiety/depression and insomnia. I sure would like to get some sleep as I haven't gotten more than three hours a night since my twenties. I'm not a smoker.

So, did you need a medical marijuana card to purchase the CBD oil? I'm in CA and suffer from anxiety/depression and insomnia. I sure would like to get some sleep as I haven't gotten more than three hours a night since my twenties. I'm not a smoker.
No, because the amount of THC isn't high enough to be illegal or make you high. If you're interested, I get mine from Bluebird Botanicals but there is a Reddit thread with other recommended brands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter