Fantasmic Dinner Package Changes

All the info you need was given in the first post of this string by CarolAnnK , this has been extended until Jan. 31, 2003 (and probably will continue to be extended after that). The price of the package is the price of the dinner for each in your party. ~:D~

Actually, now there's conflicting info--at least a couple of sources (PSCalculator.com, which offers no details, and a board poster at www.wdisneyw.co.uk) now report that the old 7-day program has been reinstated. :D

I checked w/CRO and the CM said all she knew was that the current porgram is in place till 1/31, but she's not sure beyond that.

It may be worth it if they gave you center seating. The seats they give are adequate but not the best.

I did the old dinner and show package two years ago. last year, we took our chances and had much better seats and ate a great hotdog in the bleachers waiting. Not that I'm a cheapskate, but the seats aren't weren't the price of admission (dinner). The only way I would consider this is if I were going during high season, and couldn't be sure of a seat. And since we usually go in off-season (if there is such a thing at Disney), we don't need it.

The show is awesome and not to be missed.

Shelly

melish, just to clarify, I didn't mean that anyone should feel guilty for using the new system. Regardless of whether something is better or worse than what it used to be, we all have to base our decisions on what the current situation is, and what is best for our group.

sconstantz- You are probably right, in slower times the FDP isn't that big of a deal. But in moderate to busy times, it allows you to not have to wait as long (meaning you have extra time to visit another attraction or two)... Of course, if you weren't going to eat in one of the FDP restaurants anyway, I can see where even that might not be worth it.

I got off the phone yesterday (1/13/03) with a nice young lady named Tasha who handled the PS for the "newly extended" fantasmic package. From what I was told the "package" was extended to the dates 2/3 - 2/15 and possible 2/16 and 2/17, but nothing was mentioned past that date. I was on hold for about 10 minutes, so that tells me there is still a bit of confusion regarding what is being done after Jan 31st . I was given a PS confirmation number for both the buffet dinner at H & V and one for Fantasmic. The cost of the package has not changed. I believe it was $60.68 for me, my DS and my DD. I must say, we visited H & V last Feb 2002 and I do like the old way better and it was cheaper. :Pinkbounc

. From what I was told the "package" was extended to the dates 2/3 - 2/15 and possible 2/16 and 2/17
So that takes us through President's Weekend....

I was surprised to have to give cc nbr when I made mine earlier this week, but I wasn't going to question it after waiting so long for them to open up Feb dates. After I hung I up, I checked the original post on this thread and apparently that's part of the change that went into effect in November. They do stress that there is a 48 hour minimum cancellation so if that doesn't work for you, be prepared.

I will be going to WDW in December 2003 and I would love to see them add either 50s Prime Time or Sci-Fi to this package. I have eaten at all the MGM sit down restaurants and these two are my favorites!!!

Keeping my fingers crossed!
Kim:D

We did the dinner package at Mama Melrose during our December visit. We loved it. Mama Melrose was great (we got an appetizer pizza and then we got to order whatever we wanted off the regular menu and then we got to pick a dessert each). It was our most expensive dinner, but it was a great meal :D

Then...we leisurly strolled over to the 'special' entrance for Fantasmic and found a seat in the reserved section (off to the right side, but still excellent seats) just 20 minutes before the show started. As we filed in...we saw the folks who had probably been seated and waited for over an hour already...and were sure we had done the right thing.

I would reccomend the package. It isn't any more $$ than the meal itself would cost. :D

It isn't any more $$ than the meal itself would cost.
Actually, if you look at the menu prices, the Fantasmic price is more. If you order the most expensive thing on the menu, the difference is only a few dollars. ~:D~

I'm confused, I've heard two accounts on this. Is it a credit card hold like when you book hoop dee doo and you pay cash at the resturant OR do they bill your card in full right now. I'm sure I've read both???

When we did the package at Brown Derby on December 29, we paid after we ate. They just held our credit card but let us pay however we wanted.

Why doesn't Disney just stop playing games and come right out and say they are forcing you to pick the most expensive thing on the menu, make you buy desert and an appetizer and then we are charging you 3.00 for a seat in the reserved section? We have used the FDP many times in the past, and I think this new system is rancid.

What about people who don't like to eat that much? I suppose they could just forgo eating the things they are being made to buy and chalk it up to the expense of a reserved seat. If they are going to go that far, why doesn't Disney just ask if you want reserved seats for Fantasmic when you buy your tickets and then charge you 10.00 or 15.00 per person to get them.

Disney instituted the old package to fill the sit down restaurants in MGM with people buying a full meal. Now on top of that they want to charge you extra for the privledge, no thanks, I'll be passing on this for now.

I have a 12 yr old daughter and she is a very picky eater. She would only order pasta-plain--no kind of sauce. If we do the Fantasmic Dinner pkg. at Mama Melrose's, will I have to pay the adult rate for a plate of pasta?

I don't think you will. When we ate at Crystal Palace in 12/02 and 1/03, we were seated next to a family with a 13 year old son who pointed out that he doesn't eat much and would only eat from the kid's buffet and so they were charged the child price for him. I'm not sure what the age cut-off is for meals, but they did it for this family without a problem.

mm4me, you will have to pay the children's FDP price for your daughter. We had to pay it for our 2 year old son in September and at Christmas.

However, I made my PS's for our early April trip last night and the CM said that 2/28 was the end of the trial period for the FDP as discussed on this thread. She said that it wasn't supposed to be extended again so she made a regular PS for us at the Brown Derby.

Hope this helps.

Personally, I hope it returns to the system they had before where you just had to buy 1 entree per adult. We love the HBD and always eat lunch there, but I would like to see 50's PrimeTime Cafe added to the restaurant choices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter