Getting sick on Disney World transportation

Joel232

Earning My Ears
As I write this, I’m cooped up in bed at POR.

For the second Disney vacation in a row, my DW and I have contracted a cold like illness (sickness and coughing). At home we’re normally super healthy and rarely get ill but it’s a different matter at Disney World.

I think it’s down to the transportation. They pack the busses and most times there are a few people who are coughing or sneezing. This gets pumped round by the air con. It’s made us super apprehensive to get the busses in future. Not a good way to be spending our time on a trip that’s cost the best part of $5k!

We’ve decided to just get taxis around in-future to limit the risk.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Sorry you're sick, but I think it's quite a leap to blame the busses. You have no idea what the cause really is. Viruses can take a while to incubate, you may have contracted it before you left or one of hundreds of other places.

You couldn't pay me to ride a WDW bus, but it's got nothing to do with fear of getting a cold.

I'm gonna agree with others here. If you flew, that's a good start to catching something. If you work an "off shift" that's another factor. Buses could play into it. The weather is a big time issue and the flu bug is just really bad this year. Not to mention, when you go on vacation, you tend to relax, well, that's letting your body do something it may or may not do on your normal schedule at home.

I'd find a way and get some Airborne tablets or something, get some OJ or whatnot and try and get back out there. Also, maybe get a pack or two of sanitizing wipes. Remember, Disney, and even your room AT Disney, has had many germy, sick kids in it at some point. Just because they "clean" the rooms doesn't mean you're sitting on brand spankin' new sheets and furniture.

Purell/Germ-x/Lysol/Clorox are your friends.

Disney World is one giant germ. Not just the buses. Think of all of the things you touch during a day in the parks--the tap-style to get in. All the hand rails. The seat belts and bars. Then think of how close you are to others waiting in line. Add to that how you don't eat exactly as you do at home, and don't get the same sort of rest. It is amazing more people don't end up sick.

Yeah, it is not just the buses.

Yep, you could all be right. Really want to make sure when we come again we don’t get sick.

I forced myself to do our flight of passage FP today but left before Everest and Dinosaur as I found myself looking for the nearest bin..!

It’s a strange one. Maybe we’ve been super unlucky

Yep, you could all be right. Really want to make sure when we come again we don’t get sick.

I forced myself to do our flight of passage FP today but left before Everest and Dinosaur as I found myself looking for the nearest bin..!

Aww, that stinks. I hope you start to feel better soon!

Disney World is one giant germ. Not just the buses. Think of all of the things you touch during a day in the parks--the tap-style to get in. All the hand rails. The seat belts and bars. Then think of how close you are to others waiting in line. Add to that how you don't eat exactly as you do at home, and don't get the same sort of rest. It is amazing more people don't end up sick.

Yeah, it is not just the buses.
The whole place is a cesspool of germs and full of junior germwagons.

Sorry you're sick OP. I feel your pain. I came down with the flu 5 days into my last trip and ended up with pneumonia.

Last edited:

Every one around you in line thanks you for sharing your germs with them.

Are you making sure not to touch your eyes, mouth, nose until you wash or purell your hands? Washing hands before you eat, etc? Even on the airplane. You are touching things a million people touched in the parks, the buses are just one part of the risk factor.

So, that is a perfect example of an illness spreading and it having nothing to do with the buses. You are ill and touched the hand bars on FOP. Now, think about the person who rode after you. They could have picked up something.

As I write this, I’m cooped up in bed at POR.

For the second Disney vacation in a row, my DW and I have contracted a cold like illness (sickness and coughing). At home we’re normally super healthy and rarely get ill but it’s a different matter at Disney World.

I think it’s down to the transportation. They pack the busses and most times there are a few people who are coughing or sneezing. This gets pumped round by the air con. It’s made us super apprehensive to get the busses in future. Not a good way to be spending our time on a trip that’s cost the best part of $5k!

We’ve decided to just get taxis around in-future to limit the risk.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Wait, you're in bed with a cold? At WDW? Have you taken any DayQuil to help with the symptoms? Are your kids sick too? Do you tend to go out when you are not on vacation, or just go to the same places over and over again (work, same grocery store, etc). You could just be getting sick because your immune system isn't broad enough to handle being in a new place.

I think it's funny that you blame the buses. The people on the bus are the same people everywhere at WDW. And there's AC all over WDW as well.

I hope you feel better soon - stay hydrated, and you should be back on your feet in a day if it's just a cold.

I don’t know... traveling anywhere for vacation during this crazy flu season, you couldn’t pay me. We visit Disneyland all the time, like multiple times a month, and my kids rarely if ever have gotten sick within the following week. It’s gross, but we wash, wash, wash, sanitize, use Wet Ones, try to not touch anything we don’t have to, and avoid indoor close quarters with poor ventilation during the winter. I would say it’s more likely from the plane, the combination of stress/tiredness from traveling, dry cabin air and germs is just asking for your system to collapse.

Sorry you are sick but its not the buses specifically.
I mean did you fly there? Are you waiting in lines? eating at restaurants?
There are people from all over the world and they all have the potential to be sick and contagious whether they realize it or not.
I just take airborne daily for a few days before the trip to hopefully avoid getting sick prior to going and then I just live my life while I'm there.
I'm also not a hand sanitizer person and the only time I've gotten sick at Disney was not even a cold/flu it was what I can only assume was food poisoning.
My sister and I ate a number of the same things at Chef Mickey's and my niece and her friend did not eat anything that both my sister and I ate and my sister and I got horribly sick that night but were fine although tired the next morning.

I was paranoid about getting sick while at WDW with toddlers and a husband who were just getting over the never ending head cold of winter.

Wipes ahoy! I drove my kids banana boats wiping their hands, bathed them nightly, left shoes at the door, and so on.

It might have been anal, but it works.

I’m more likely to get sick going to the grocery store due to being less particular.

We also wiped down airplane trays and seats and our electronic devices and so on. It could totally be any number of factors.

I was paranoid about getting sick while at WDW with toddlers and a husband who were just getting over the never ending head cold of winter.

Wipes ahoy! I drove my kids banana boats wiping their hands, bathed them nightly, left shoes at the door, and so on.

I’m more likely to get sick going to the grocery store due to being less particular.

We also wiped down airplane trays and seats and our electronic devices and so on. It could totally be any number of factors.

I think we must be related lol!

Every one around you in line thanks you for sharing your germs with them.

So, that is a perfect example of an illness spreading and it having nothing to do with the buses. You are ill and touched the hand bars on FOP. Now, think about the person who rode after you. They could have picked up something.

Let me at my voice to the chorus.

You are upset that you got sick at Disney and the horrible buses.

So, while you are sick, you force yourself to go to the parks and ride a ride and spread your germs.

I guess my question is, did you ride the bus to Animal Kingdom?

Did you use antibacterial wipes or regular baby wipes or other cleaning wipes?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter