HELP!!! MIL wants to take my DC's to WDW alone!!!!

I totally agree! Accepting money from inlaws can be like selling your soul!

Be very very careful.:scared1:

It saddens me that you come across so cold about the situation. Money is money. It is the the end all of who a person is. In addition, I think it's weird how soooo many are "anti" in-law. I know as well as any that in-laws can be crazy and it takes some patience to deal with them. However, when you married your husband/wife you also married their family. It's true. Just because a man marries a woman - he doesn't stop being his mother's son. Now I totally understand this woman's dilema but the MIL is not a complete villian here.
My advice - follow thru with your vacation. Enjoy yourself it's Disney World! But if there are things that really bother you or that you really want - stand up for yourself! She may have money but you are the mother of her grandchildren and the wife of her son - that has some negotiation power.:thumbsup2

I would say Thank you but No. They are you kids. You have that power. I would have been HEARTBROKEN if my MIL did that to my kids. I mean just hearing their delight when they go "The CASTLE!! LOOK! THE CASTLE!" was worth every penny.

Im gonna recommend a book to you:
Perfect Mothers Invisible Women by Susan Van Scoyoc

I have had many problems with a controlling MIL (I wont go into it all but a couple of years back I miscarried & her answer to it was 'at least we wont have another November birthday' [we have many family members born in November including 1 of my sons]) & a hubby that sits on the fence, that book was really fantastic & helped me a lot. I told my hubby if he didnt get off that fence & start supporting me then he could pack his bags & go back to his mother. That soooo shocked him & we havent looked back since :cheer2:

MIL still tries to run our lives but I take no notice & we do our own thing. My advice to you is to sit down search your heart & decide what YOU want, tell your husband & then tell the rest of your families as a united front. When you try to make everybody else happy it can sometimes make you unhappy & you are as important as everybody else!

Heres some pixiedust to help you out pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

I wouldnt have let my kids go without me, because like everyone else I wouldnt want to miss thier faces and experiences. Now that being said not every mil or grandma is evil for wanting to take thier grandkids. I took our 2 year old for the first time without his parents. Selfishly I wanted to be the first one to take him. Not that his mommy couldnt go, I asked she declined. She is not a disney person at all. So off we went with our two younger kids and grandson. Had a blast and I can still see his little face when seeing something exciting!!!

I have had many problems with a controlling MIL (I wont go into it all but a couple of years back I miscarried & her answer to it was 'at least we wont have another November birthday' [we have many family members born in November including 1 of my sons]) & a hubby that sits on the fence, that book was really fantastic & helped me a lot. I told my hubby if he didnt get off that fence & start supporting me then he could pack his bags & go back to his mother. That soooo shocked him & we havent looked back since :cheer2:

MIL still tries to run our lives but I take no notice & we do our own thing. My advice to you is to sit down search your heart & decide what YOU want, tell your husband & then tell the rest of your families as a united front. When you try to make everybody else happy it can sometimes make you unhappy & you are as important as everybody else!

I'm not the OP, but thank you for the recommendation of the book. It sounds like something I might find helpful.

Thanks for the reccomendation. I'll have to check this out.

You are both very welcome :)

I bought that book a couple of years after my boys were born, I was trying so hard to do all the 'right things' by everybody else & feeling like my best wasn't good enough. Whatever I did somebody was unhappy, I read that book & realised that you can't please all the people all the time & nor should you try. I stopped being a people pleaser & though it took DH family a while now they accept that I will follow my own path. If they want to walk down it with me fine, if not equally fine.

DH resisted WDW for a long while but now he's been he can't wait to go back & my DC can't wait for Christmas & New Year with the mouse, as a total Disney freak my life is complete, ahhhhhhhhhhhh!! :angel:

If the parents aren't Disney people, or don't care about experiencing their kids first time, that's a different situation. My niece's first trip was with her G'parents and me and DH, her Aunt and Uncle obviously. Neither of her parents were interested, nor had been interested seeing as she was 7 when we took her and they had lived within few hours of a park her whle life.

Hey mom needs a vacation,

Is the trip still on for August 2008? Still think about you. The whole mother in law thing I guess-it sticks with a person!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter