How to deal with a neighbor that never picks up her dog poop

I am not into 'confronting' anyone.
I would document, document, document, and then let the HOA and any other authorities, like the county animal control, know about this.
What exactly does the HOA say?
Are there any county ordinances or leash laws???

I would document, document, document, and then let the HOA and any other authorities, like the county animal control, know about this.

i agree. confrontation sounds like the formula for being featured on an upcoming episode of 'fear thy neighbor':crazy2:

so was she bringing the dog down to your place to do it's business or just the doing a scooter delivery service of the droppings?
Just walking her dog, I guess my yard was the preferred yard though. Probably because we have a very large tree and the grass is cool. Turns out she hasn't stopped but the neighbors along our street know to keep an eye on her. I'm sure she was a nice woman, but I think she tries to play the disability card now, at least from what I learned.

I would smile and wave!
Since my home office is at the front of the house I can see her coming, for a while I'd make a point to go down and stand and watch her go by, or triggered the sprinklers for a few minutes ;) She doesn't make eye contact anymore, and I'm fine with it. She's defiantly one of the few senior Me Generation members I've met.

Motion activated sprinklers so they don't stop on your property to begin with.
Take video/photos of dog and owner, send them to HOA as well as bylaw officers.
Make a giant billboard for your yard with public shaming of the offenders.
I just saw my first yard sign with photos of owners and dogs on it. LMAO. I wonder if it works.

OP, do you know her name?
If yes, make a sign to put in the common areas that says "Please clean up after your dog. Neighbor's name @ neighbors address- this means you"

ETA just saw another poster suggested something like this. I'd take her advice.

We had neighbors like this by our vacation house. Made me furious! I started with the polite visit, then bagging it and leaving it on their driveway, then a “I’m really unhappy about this” visit-it was the owners grown kids and their 3 dogs-letting them use our yard and not cleaning up. I finally just shoveled it on their driveway and their parents must have gotten through to them-no incidents the last visit.
So I understand your frustration-so maddening to me that you don’t clean up after your dog!

This approach is only as good as how responsive the homeowner is to HOA letters. Our HOA management company will follow protocol with sending a letter and issuing fines, but there's not much else they have in terms of recourse if the owner ignores these things. And considering the owner is already ignoring the bylaws, that doesn't sound promising.

Animal Control likely has bigger fish to fry. This happens every day in many communities across towns and cities, so any laws or authorities will place this right at the bottom of their priority list.

I don't think confrontation is the answer either, but there's a way to have a friendly/neighborly conversation about cutting the crap (pun intended). Its all about the delivery.

Motion activated sprinklers so they don't stop on your property to begin with.
Take video/photos of dog and owner, send them to HOA as well as bylaw officers.
Make a giant billboard for your yard with public shaming of the offenders.
That's a solid plan.

That's a solid plan.
Is it that obvious that I've had to deal with this a LOT? ;)

I like the slingshot method! Or at least returning it to the owner's yard. :) Most of my problem has stopped once I started shouting at dog walkers, "does this mean I can come empty my cat's litter box in YOUR yard?"
Or reminding them, "Smile for the bylaw officers, you're on camera!"

I think this is the most frustrating problem in America!
If you own a dog take the responsibility.
My daughter stepped from my lawn into her new car with dog waste. I was so livid. I have heard sprinkling pepper in the grass keeps dogs away, I have done it but it rains so much in Florida that it doesn't last long.
People are so inconsiderate.
Someone put a picture of a nasty poop in their grass by the mailboxes a few months ago and wrote "We know who you are, were asking once more for you to stop".

So many good suggestions in this thread. Thank you everyone!

I had an awesome neighbor around the corner from us years ago (he & his partner moved, I was really bummed because they were great neighbors) who told me once about a serial dog pooper who kept leaving presents in his front yard. One time, my neighbor saw the guy do it right in front of him. I mean, my neighbor was out in the front yard watering his plants (in his bathrobe, pajamas, & slippers, yet another reason why he was an awesome neighbor! haha!) and this guy walked by with his large dog. The dog decided that he needed to poop and proceeded to poop right in front of the neighbor IN the neighbor's front yard.

Neighbor said to the guy, "I hope you're going to pick that up."

Dog guy said no.
Neighbor said, "You better pick it up. It just pooped on my property."
Dog guy said, "But I don't have a bag with me."
Neighbor said, "That's not my problem. You have 2 hands. Use 1 of them to pick it up."
Dog guy said, "That's disgusting! I can't do that!"
Neighbor said, "But you think it's ok to walk by here every day and let that dog of yours poop every day in my yard and for you to leave it here for ME to pick up?"
Dog guy said, "Um..."
Neighbor said, "Pick it up right now. I'll give you to the count of 3 and then I'm spraying you with the hose."
Dog guy said, "You can't do that!"
Neighbor said, "Watch me."

Dog guy then decided it would be wise to pick up the poop. With his bare hands. And he carried the hot poop in his hands all the way home. Nobody ever pooped in neighbor's yard ever again after that!

I know a neighbor who would walk his dog to the park and let his dog poop all over neighbor's lawn before they got to the park and never picked it up. He got himself a reputation now.

I would probably botch it if I tried to confront anyone verbally. But I might print some of these:

dog sign.png

Tape a Popsicle stick or pencil to the back, slip a freezer bag over the top, and "plant" them near the messes. It does triple duty:

- warns others not to step there
- reminds the offenders to pick up after their pets (without them having to react in front of you)
- provides a bag if they really did forget

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter