How to survive the heat....

The umbrella on a hot day was something I had never really done before I took a trip to Japan in the summer. I can confirm it feels so much better. I'm debating whether I'll need one for my June trip.
I’m trying to get over how to use an umbrella in the parks, etc...
got advice? Is it awkward on the attractions? I’m surprised they are allowed on some of them.
Thanks

got advice? Is it awkward on the attractions? I’m surprised they are allowed on some of them.

When I was at DisneySea I didn't use them on attractions it was mainly for walking around in the sun. I used a travel size that I could put in a backpack or just hold when I wasn't actively using it.

Go! Have fun! Don't worry too much! Seriously, I almost didn't go for my milestone celebration birthday in August 2019 because of my fear of the raging inferno. Not only did we survive, but we thrived! A slow, dare I say sedate trip, where we got to stop and enjoy the Burudika band in Africa, float around every afternoon in the pool, and drink up all the fresh water in the universe.

I did feel like I was walking through fire every day about 1 pm, so we made sure to have our feet pointed toward the gate by then. Set a realistic agenda and have a fantastic time!

Thanks
Umbrellas are becoming more and more common as people realize their benefits. On my trip last week I brought one with and was really glad I did. It was warmer than I was hoping for and it proved to be very helpful. I found that I mostly used it when waiting in lines that were outside in the sun. I didn't use it as much when I was walking around, but I should've, as it was hot and ended up getting a bit over headed a couple of days.

On this last trip, I also found myself having more "frozen" treats than usual: ice cream/sorbet, frozen lemonade cups, slushies. They really seemed to help (cooling me down on the inside! LOL! ).

I also have an 18 ounce thermos that I bring with me to the parks. I fill it with ice water before I leave my room and then I have nice cold water when I want it. When it's empty, I just get more ice water from one of the quick serves to fill it back up. Note: most places are using the small cups for ice water, so I usually got two.

I'm in the same boat and came looking for a thread like this before I posted lol. We will be there the 22-30th and have been checking the forecast daily for the past week or two. Every day it seems the temps have been creeping up from the mid/upper 80s which we were excited about, to now saying mid and upper 90's, which we are dreading.

I'm the weird one who despises umbrellas - especially in crowds. They do NOT keep me cooler - they make me hotter as they block any kind of breeze and trap air on me. UGH.

I just stay hydrated and take it slow. And sunscreen.

I'm the weird one who despises umbrellas - especially in crowds. They do NOT keep me cooler - they make me hotter as they block any kind of breeze and trap air on me. UGH.

I just stay hydrated and take it slow. And sunscreen.

You specifically need a UV blocking umbrella to get the cooling effect. Regular ones have material that just end up cooking you for the most part. And then color also matters, you need one that’s light. I’ve tested my new one out here at home since it’s been stupid hot this week and it really makes a huge difference, no joke it’s about 10 degrees cooler under one.

But I’ve been carrying an insanely tiny regular umbrella that’s basically pocket sized into the parks for ages and have had zero problems even in crowds. But it’s just big enough to cover only me. Pairing it with my Columbia rain jacket I’m all set to keep going while everyone else flees for cover.

Re: OP, a lot of good advice in the thread but I would also add that water alone isn’t enough sometimes, sports drinks are good to replenish salts etc that you lose in the heat. My last trip I took in August just about all I refilled my resort mug with was Powerade and it helped a lot between water.

USB fans changed my life haha! I love them! I also swear by a hat and a 'sweat towel' aka a hand towel/wash cloth borrowed from our resort. I use this to wipe off any sweat and stay dry. I also have a little mister/spray that helps as well. I've tried the cooling towels and never really found them super helpful.

Also getting iced water from quick service every chance I can to refill my water bottle with ice. This year we will be trying Liquid IV as well in our water.

Frog Tog cooling towels all day, keeps me at least ten degrees cooler!!!

Head back to the resort in the middle of the afternoon and take a break, swim, resort hop?
Head back to the parks late afternoon/early evening.
If you can do evening, then do it. The sun can be unbearable sometimes. :) We just came back from a trip last week of April, and we actually had to change our days to nights, but that was mainly due to the masks adding more heat to our faces, etc.

Do a table service lunch each day. This will give you a nice rest in the air conditioning. Also take the time to see an air conditioned show if those are opened. Last time we decided to wait for our dining reservation time by doing the Tiki Room instead of waiting in line for another ride. It wasn't too exciting, but it was a good way to cool off while being mildly entertained.

Use an umbrella at peak times- nothing huge that will hit other guests, but a good sun reflecting umbrella. Can find on Amazon. You’ll feel kind of stupid with an umbrella on a sunny day, but much cooler, and better/safer from a UV/sunburn standpoint

All my trips have been in August - drink at least a full bottle of water prior to going to the park. Get well hydrated before leaving. Bring multiple bottles of water with you to parks, if possible freeze them the night before - they will melt quickly. Drinking water while at breaks or in line will help. If you have kids, push them to keep drinking. Try to do rope drop and stay til 1 or 2 pm, maybe returning in the evening. Get in as much as you can in the mornings, we always return to hotel during the afternoons to cool off and swim. Always duck into shops to cool off in the A/C when you can. Attractions like Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, or other A/C indoor attractions are good as it heats up in the late morning / afternoon.
I did not realize we could bring water bottles into the park.... also how are the pools in mid afternoon with Covid? are they only letting a certain number in? is there long waits to use the pool? I will think everyone may have the same idea and used the pools during the hottest time of the day....

I'm in the same boat and came looking for a thread like this before I posted lol. We will be there the 22-30th and have been checking the forecast daily for the past week or two. Every day it seems the temps have been creeping up from the mid/upper 80s which we were excited about, to now saying mid and upper 90's, which we are dreading.
Our trip date is very similar to yours!! We are there May 22nd to May 28th... Guess you can blame us for the weather lol!! We seem to have that luck...

We will be there starting on monday. I've been in summer before, but never when the temps were predicted to be this high. Thanks for all the info everyone is giving.

Our trip is next week and 4 of our 6 park days it is forecasted to be 97 and 98 degrees. We've gone several times in the summer, but never when it was this bad. During an August trip, I swore I'd never go back again when it was so hot and humid. I have lots of stuff to keep us cool but I've even thought of cancelling. If I cancel we couldn't go until december and none of us want to wait that long. So tell me how bad will this be?

Every person's tolerance to heat is different. Before moving to Florida (from Ohio) I melted at 75, but after adapting I actually can get chilly at 80 and don't start to really get hot until the low 90's now so it's different for everyone, even over time.

If you have difficulty in the heat, which is pretty natural, then just be prepared to spend more time in the air conditioning. Take breaks mid-day if possible, either back at your room or dining at a table service. If you start to feel warm while walking around, spend some time in a shop and cool down. Stay hydrated. Swim, nap, explore the resorts during the hottest parts of the day. Lots of people go in the heat and while it can be uncomfortable it's certainly not impossible to deal with.

Personally I feel like Disney is missing a major revenue stream by not introducing a seasonal "tunnel of air conditioning" ride at each park that they charge a dollar to enter. There are day's I'd throw wads of cash at them.

Our trip is next week and 4 of our 6 park days it is forecasted to be 97 and 98 degrees. We've gone several times in the summer, but never when it was this bad. During an August trip, I swore I'd never go back again when it was so hot and humid. I have lots of stuff to keep us cool but I've even thought of cancelling. If I cancel we couldn't go until december and none of us want to wait that long. So tell me how bad will this be?

I will be there next week as well. The humidity is still relative low (for Florida) so the heat will not be as bad as in August. Just drink water, take breaks, and avoid the midday sun.

Many times. I love the heat, my husband does not, and our kids are split on it as well, but we almost always take a trip in July or August. Basically, you walk out of your hotel, are drenched in sweat within 5 minutes, and then go about your day. It's really not that bad - so many ride queues are air conditioned and there are tons of places to duck into if you need to cool off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter