How to survive the heat....

Like @JRodgers I live here as well. Yes, it's hot but in Florida you really can't count on weather reports more than three days or so out, and yes.... I'm seeing mid 90s next week as well. As previously said, the humidity is still pretty low. Only you can decide your tolerance but if you postpone, or wait, or change you are also throwing the dice hoping for better weather. Best of luck.

We're going next week as well, and I share your concern. My heart sank when I saw the extended forecast. But I'm still excited for our trip and hoping our coping strategies will blunt the heat's impact. I've been once before in August, and wasn't as prepared as I am this time.

I'm planning on having us drink a lot of water before we even set out for the parks. Then I'm bringing electrolyte powder to add to our water bottles once we're in the parks. I bought a UV umbrella for our daughter, who has photosensitivity and burns terribly. We're planning on going early in the mornings and later in the day, with a nap/pool break in the middle when it's hottest. I bought a small fan and cooling towels as well. In other words: all the disboard tricks. :-)

It's still going to be hot, and I'm sure we'll still be uncomfortable. But with the a/c breaks, and the removal of the outdoor mask mandate, I'm hopeful we'll be sweaty, but smiling for the most part.

Good luck, and let's keep our fingers crossed the temps will drop a bit from now til then!

We had a trip back in August of '17. It was blistering outside and I almost passed out in Epcot walking around the world showcase. I like to think I'm in relatively decent shape too. I'm pretty sure I wasn't drinking enough water that day so as others have said please hydrate, hydrate, and then hydrate some more. It'll save you so much grief.

What was most miserable to me though, was smelling all the B.O. 🤢🤢🤢

Our trip is next week and 4 of our 6 park days it is forecasted to be 97 and 98 degrees. We've gone several times in the summer, but never when it was this bad. During an August trip, I swore I'd never go back again when it was so hot and humid. I have lots of stuff to keep us cool but I've even thought of cancelling. If I cancel we couldn't go until december and none of us want to wait that long. So tell me how bad will this be?
we have been there in the 100 degree days.. get some cooling cloths.. it took the core temp of my body right down and I (a northerner) was really comfortable.. just had to get the cloth wet a few times during the time we were in the parks..

Does WDW still have the relaxation stations? They might not need them so much for mask breaks, but they could be good in the summer to have an air conditioned place to sit down without masks and drink something refreshing and hydrating. I know that is what restaurants are for, but their capacity is very limited.

Cooling towels, misting fans, and plan on doing alot of indoor attractions in the heat of the day. also stop at the quick service places and grab a complimentary cup of ice water, chewing on ice frequently helped so much!

We went in October of 2009, it had been unseasonably cool at home but central Florida was having a heat wave. it was mid to late October and the temp was 96 everyday.

My advice is wear cool, sweat wicking clothing if you have it. Lighter colors over dark colors. Bring a Brita or some other water bottle and drink often. One thing we always tried to do was walk thru stores whenever possible. I’m not sure if that’s possible now depending on COVID restrictions.

Also we like getting to the parks early. Take a mid day break and go back at night.

Good luck.

Everyone has said TS lunch, big thermal water bottle, midday pool break and cooling towels. They are all right!

But one other thing: get (or add) park hoppers. We normally don’t get them but did for our August trip this year. You will be taking midday breaks anyway so easy to hop after and it takes some pressure off so if a park is crowded and hot you want to call it a day early, you can go back another day without needing a (likely sold out) park reservation. Flexibility is key. Plus with Epcot opening at such a hot time of day, it is not a great park to “rope drop” these days. Better to do something else in the morning and hop to it in the evening.

Were do you get these from?

Okay, just looked it up! Frogg Togg is now sold at Bass Pro Shops and I found some official ones on Amazon! They blow away every other cooling towel I've ever tried.

The BEST way to use these, and how I do it, is wet them at night, wring out some water but not all, put in fridge in a gallon ziploc overnight, wring out more in the morning or when ready and put on! Stays ICE cold for a long time!!! Then re-wet as necessary through the day!

So the weather seems to have been very mild in Florida but is going to quickly change literally the day after we arrive 😕. Temps could reach upper 90's to 101... We have always gone to Disney a few weeks earlier in May and have not had to deal with that level of heat and humidity... In fact these temperatures seem unseasonably high... Any suggestions on how to handle the heat and still make this trip enjoyable?

1-4pm in the pools every day.

Everyone has said TS lunch, big thermal water bottle, midday pool break and cooling towels. They are all right!
Do they still have the water filling stations around the parks? Where are they located? I have seen an old list of some locations but wondered if they have added more within the last Covid year .

Here's what we do:

Book lunch at an indoor restaurant for a break from the heat.
Drink Smartwater. Maybe it's psychosomatic, but I swear it makes a difference.
Pop in stores for a break from the heat.
Enjoy indoor attractions such as Mickey's Philharmagic.
Leave midday and return after dinner.
The parks are more tolerable when the sun goes down...stay as late as you can.
Wear moisture wicking clothing.
A hat makes me more hot, so I don't wear one.
is smart water brand sold in the parks ?

Lots and lots of great tips. These came in handy when we were there the first week of May.

The one thing I will add is if you have a car, DO NOT DRIVE TO MK! We learned this the hard way. We were already sweltering and exhausted by the time we got into the park. Next time, we'll take the bus to MK.

When we went in early September, it averaged 95-98* every day. We actually found it hottest about 4-5 pm, after we had taken a mid day break at the resort after lunch. You need to budget four hours for even a shorter break if you are using Disney transportation. What helped us the most were cooling towels-the neck fans we took weren't powerful enough to do much at all, I got two different kinds, one those $70 ones they claimed was like air conditioning-Well, no, its worse than than the $8 neck ones with little fans on each end from Amazon! The best breaks IMO are from about 2-6. We also went through lots of water! We froze the water bottles and either drank them as they melted and held them against our face/neck occasionally!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter