I wonder how the Studios will handle the Toy Story and Star Wars queues

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by DisneyChristmas, Jan 12, 2018.

1. amberpi

amberpi DIS Veteran

And if you've ever been to a scifi convention, you know how good us nerds are at waiting in line - and it's really good. SWL is going to print money. Based on how Disney handled Pandora, I think it's going to be a cluster of epic proportions and I still want to be there opening day.

dreiwhit likes this.
  2. Q-man

Q-man DIS Veteran

Just think what it would be like if they allowed cosplay.

amberpi likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Mr. Mickey

Mr. Mickey DIS Veteran

It will be so crowded lines will be at the Abus stop at the Orlando Airport;):jumping3:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    DoryGirl1963 likes this.
  5. amberpi

amberpi DIS Veteran

Have costumes will go to HS!

6. Jimmy Mouse

Jimmy Mouse My other car is the Monorail

Opening Day SWGE. Just sayin"

toronto_sars_benefit.jpg

7. Q-man

Q-man DIS Veteran

Once things settle down Dis really needs to have 2-3 cosplay weekends a year for it.

amberpi likes this.
  8. drjackal31

drjackal31 Mouseketeer

We were going to go to Disneyland in 2019, but decided to move it up to later this year to see the land before SW opens. Then we have an excuse to go back. :lovestruc

DoryGirl1963 likes this.
  9. atricks

atricks DIS Veteran

Disneyland has a lot more other stuff to do than hollywood studios does (and comparison Islands of Adventure has a lot more to do than Hollywood Studios does, even with Toy Story when potter opened) All that really means is I think Hollywood Studios will close to capacity a lot quicker than disneyland would (although it too will close to capacity). And those that do get into Hollywood Studios will be waiting a while just to get into the land, just like Harry Potter at its opening. The park only closed to capacity the first few days and IOA had a lot more space and rides to absorb people waiting than Hollywood Studios does.

I don't think Toy Story alone will move the needle much, but SWGE will.

10. amberpi

amberpi DIS Veteran

They close capacity for safety reasons not number of rides so I think dl is in a lot more trouble being so much smaller than hs.

11. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

Plus Disneyland closed for capacity a few times over holidays and other times recently as it is - even without Star Wars

amberpi likes this.
  12. Liljo22

Liljo22 DIS Veteran

The number of rides has nothing to do with capacity since Disney only has to worry about how many people they can safely put through the gates and not if they are riding attractions. DL has a capacity around 80,000 and DHS around 75,000. The difference is that DL has a daily average attendance of about 50,000 while DHS is 30,000(probably less now with the closures). DL will have a bigger issue with capacity.

13. WDW_Ding

WDW_Ding Ohana means family.

I agree. WDW is going to be in for a huge shock with the crowds. By that I mean, they will be larger than anything before and it will eventually upset people to the point that the reputation of WDW will suffer. People will complain to CMs, to social media, to their friends. The lines will be so bad that I wouldn't even be surprised to see fights and incidents from people losing their temper toward others and CMs. I don't mean to seem hyperbolic (too late?) but I see this going very poorly...unless they hard-cap the number of people allowed in to the area per day and really coordinate the FPs. It might even be a good idea to do FP ONLY.

I agree.

I think that will make the crowds worse, not better. I see your point (more ride capacity), but I think it will just drive that much more traffic to the park. The park will be overwhelmed...

dreiwhit likes this.
  14. WDW_Ding

WDW_Ding Ohana means family.

They are doing that now (or in the recent past) for Pandora, aren't they?

Agree on both points! This is going to be brutal.

amberpi likes this.
  15. Capang

Capang DIS Veteran

They did for the first month or so. Then they offered a package that basically got you FP for the Pandora rides and a snack from Satuli. But that's a huge upcharge, of course.

It is definitely going to be a cluster in parks on both coasts when this opens, I imagine DL more so than WDW. However I know many will be willing to stand in the all day (maybe all night?) lines to get in.

16. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

They did that when Pandora first opened every night as special EMH just to Pandora for Resort guests. I believe it was always to 1am

If they do something similar for Star Wars that would be a huge perk for staying on site

BigRed98, amberpi and WDW_Ding like this.
  17. Lightsoutx12

Lightsoutx12 Mouseketeer

I am interested to see how DL handles it as well. It isn't like here in WDW where there are 3 other parks to go to, there is only two there. On top of that can you imagine how crowded it will be? It will be filled to capacity within moments of the park opening it seems.

18. TomServo27

TomServo27 Mouseketeer

I wouldn’t worry too much about crowds since TLJ destroyed everyone’s childhood and love of Star Wars I doubt anyone will even show up.

Q-man and BigRed98 like this.
  19. Lightsoutx12

Lightsoutx12 Mouseketeer

If only that were the case, I love Star Wars and the new movie. So I hope no one shows up so I can have the whole land to myself! A man can dream

fab1976, BigRed98 and TomServo27 like this.
  20. Cameron1515

Cameron1515 Earning My Ears

Disney will be all over the logistics and handling of the opening on the two lands. Pandora was just a ‘practise run’ for Disney and they will use a lot of the data and experience from that. Undoubtedly both Toy Story and Star Wars will attract high crowds. Still with FP and guest capacity control, it will obviously be crowded from mid 2018 onwards

Capang likes this.
  21. jkh36619

jkh36619 DIS Veteran

We have decided not to renew our AP's after this year. We are going to give Disney a break for a few years to let things settle down. Though we could avoid HS after SWL opens, I still think it will affect all parks.