Is Universal's Epic Universe a Shot Across the Bow or A Body Blow to Disney

Interesting discussion.

I go to Orlando every 3-4 years with my family, mostly been a Disney purist, but when HP opened, and my kids were tweens and were really into HP, we took a day out of our week long WDW trip to visit Universal. I was really impressed with Islands of Adventure overall, less so with Universal Studios, and went nuts over Hogmeade - easily as good or better than anything WDW has done in years. The next trip we spent two days at Universal, and for my upcoming trip, we are actually staying on property for a few days before heading to WDW.

Pros of Universal:
1) HP (Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley) has the best overall theming of any theme park I have seen to date. Truly a joy to experience.
2) Forbidden Journey has the best queue of any ride and is overall a great ride experience.
3) Islands of Adventure is a wonderfully themed park.
4) I really like City Walk - Toothsome was one of our families favorite restaurants.

Cons:
1) Universal Studios was rather worn and drab
2) Employees seemed pretty grim and unhappy
3) A lot of the rides (other than the ones above) were shake up in a box with 3D rides - too repetitive.

WDW has the "Bubble" which Universal has not quite captured yet.

The new park might get me to spend 3-4 days on property. My husband actually likes universal more than me because he is into thrill rides.

Interesting discussion.

I go to Orlando every 3-4 years with my family, mostly been a Disney purist, but when HP opened, and my kids were tweens and were really into HP, we took a day out of our week long WDW trip to visit Universal. I was really impressed with Islands of Adventure overall, less so with Universal Studios, and went nuts over Hogmeade - easily as good or better than anything WDW has done in years. The next trip we spent two days at Universal, and for my upcoming trip, we are actually staying on property for a few days before heading to WDW.

Pros of Universal:
1) HP (Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley) has the best overall theming of any theme park I have seen to date. Truly a joy to experience.
2) Forbidden Journey has the best queue of any ride and is overall a great ride experience.
4) I really like City Walk - Toothsome was one of our families favorite restaurants.

Cons:
3) A lot of the rides (other than the ones above) were shake up in a box with 3D rides - too repetitive.

The new park might get me to spend 3-4 days on property. My husband actually likes universal more than me because he is into thrill rides.

I do not find the employees at universal grim or unhappy.

And since I have become handicapped, they almost give me too much attention.

Epic will hurt WDW by taking away a park day from those of us who visit every few years.

What would make a BIG impact once Epic is open is if Universal offered a free shuttle to/from the airport to a Univ hotel for anyone staying onsite and has park tickets. This will take a lot more dollars away from WDW as people would quickly realize that its much more of a savings to stay at a Universal property and take a Lyft/Uber to WDW for 4 days than doing the opposite.

My last trip was a split between the two.

Universal won on the resort (paid the same as Pop, and it was.............far better)
Transportation was a wash as Lyft is Lyft. Bus to and from Cabana bay to City Walk was fine.
City walk had better food, (we aren't table service people really except 2-3 times over a ten day trip)
Disney Springs better shopping, though most of the non Disney stores are ones I have access to if I go into Boston or a fancy mall on a Saturday frankly.
WWOHP better theming than anything at Disney.

We didn't wait in any lines at Universal, basically at all. We got there early, went on WWOHP rides multiple times, F&F, Jurassic Park, Spiderman, Kong, MIB, Simpsons etc. Lunched at Three Broomsticks/Leaky Cauldron on our two park days, Ice cream at Florian Fortescues and left mid afternoon for the pool at Cabana bay, which was spectacular. Back to city walk for dinner and a movie.

Employees were fine. Disney cast members were either great or not really, I don't think this will improve with Universal paying better, treating employees better and not relying on college students who come and go.

Disney had the bubble. If you are into the bubble, fair enough nothing will beat it.

Interesting discussion.

Pros of Universal:

Cons:

In all my trips, I have never met a "grim and unhappy" team member. Every one I have encountered is friendly and enthusiastic. And Disney can keep their "bubble" where everything has to be planned to a minute detail. Give me a relaxing, stress-free vacation at Universal anyday.

In all my trips, I have never met a "grim and unhappy" team member. Every one I have encountered is friendly and enthusiastic. And Disney can keep their "bubble" where everything has to be planned to a minute detail. Give me a relaxing, stress-free vacation at Universal anyday.

Agreed. Not everyone wants a “bubble”.

Yes, I have to wonder where all these unhappy and grim TM are.......in ALL our visits we’ve yet to run into one like that.......quite the contrary.

We have only found TM who are friendly, helpful and full of enthusiasm who can’t do enough for you if you need anything at all.

Coming from the UK, our usual strategy has been to stay at a Disney resort for a week to get the 60-day FP window and get the QDP dining plan & $200 gift card. But we'd get a 14-day park ticket (same price as a 7-day), so we'd move to a villa for 2 weeks. Week 1 of the villa stay would be more Disney park time (and rest days), week 2 would include, among other things, 2-days at Universal, staying at one of their hotels to get the Express Unlimited passes.

We've already decided to rework that approach next time to give us more days at Universal, and that's before Epic even opens.

I don't think there's any question this eats into Disney's slice of the cake. Universal wouldn't be doing it if it didn't. It's a significant investment. This isn't replacing one attraction with another, which you might view as something they're doing to maintain their market share. This is growing their footprint in Florida and they'll be expecting it to grow their returns accordingly.

Yes, I have to wonder where all these unhappy and grim TM are.......in ALL our visits we’ve yet to run into one like that.......quite the contrary.

We have only found TM who are friendly, helpful and full of enthusiasm who can’t do enough for you if you need anything at all.

I think a lot of people go in with the idea that Universal is somehow "inferior" and so of the employees couldn't possibly be really happy there. People tend to find what they're looking for.

I had to double check to make sure that I was on the Universal part of these boards. Never will understand why people have to come here just to talk about how great Disney is when literally 90% of the boards are devoted to that.

It’s literally the topic of the thread.

I've run into a handful, unfortunately I think this is the problem with success.
You need more people and not all of them will be happy - but you need the bodies.

The last few years I went to Disney I saw the same thing. With the success of Disney much of what created that success started to diminish. When Disney started squeezing every penny of profit out of everything that included the employees IMO.

This is my number one reason for choosing Universal over Disney - I dont have to plan at all

Isn’t it great to just show up and ride rides without super long lines? That’s how it was at Disney when I was a kid. Now, if you don’t get FPs, you can spend most of your day in lines at Disney. Who doesn’t want to spend over a hundred a person per day to stand in long lines? Lines are magical.

We are in Orlando now and will be here until Sunday. Sea World, Aquatica, Busch Gardens and Universal. I used to think I couldn’t come this close to Disney without going. Now, not so much.

I am not a thrill ride person, like, at all. I love Universal. Yesterday we left Aquatica in the early afternoon, came back and changed and headed to Universal just to ride Hagrid’s. Like I said NOT a thrill ride person but I rode. Well apparently my anxiety caused my blood pressure to go up. Before I left the ride, three TMs stopped me to make sure I was ok. Another stopped me as I was walking out of Hogsmeade and brought me some water and offered a cool place to sit for a moment. I was ok in just a minute but honestly they noticed something was wrong before I did!

Later as my family rode The Mummy, I had the best time walking around the streets of New York looking in the shops and shop windows. And then in Hollywood. Seeing Bumblebee over by Transformers was fun. Those always amaze me.

I think the themeing in each area is fantastic. The TMs are great. And the lack of planning is the best part! Oh and the food! We ate some great Mexican food last night and when the bill came I was shocked! Cheaper than we have eaten in and around Orlando! And a LOT cheaper than a comparable meal at Disney.

I have 3 granddaughters. We want to plan a big family trip next year for them. The older two, 10 and 8 love Universal and the 6 year old is Disney all the way. So we will do both but if we stay on either site it will be Universal where we can get a room that is worth what we are paying for it.

I could go on and on about why we prefer Universal over Disney these days. And I think Epic Universe is going to be a body blow or has the potential to be. Disney needs to step up and perhaps they will, which would be great for everyone.

As far as a comparison between the two, with the new park opening it would likely turn into a "Universal Only" type of vacation. the way it is now, you can plan a Disney vacation and add two days of universal. You cant really do that with Disney as the waits make MK a 2 day park. Also pair that with the ticket specials universal runs (Buy one get one, buy 2 get two, or even this past spring, buy two days get 3 days free). That alone will keep people out of Disney unless they have small children.

Isn’t it great to just show up and ride rides without super long lines? That’s how it was at Disney when I was a kid. Now, if you don’t get FPs, you can spend most of your day in lines at Disney. Who doesn’t want to spend over a hundred a person per day to stand in long lines? Lines are magical.

This is one of the many reasons I prefer Disneyland in California. Yes, there are crowds there too - but you have an equal shot with other guests. I HATE how the system in Florida works. Who the f wants to have to figure out when they will be doing what or eating where months in advance (plus offsite guests get screwed over)? It used to be fun...

Whenever I bring that up in the other forums there are all the people ferociously defending how great the WDW system is and how wonderful it is to plan every minute detail right down to when they will have their bathroom breaks - whatever. I am old enough to remember that things were honestly pretty great before all this Fastpass crap. Equal footing for all - what a novel idea.

Imagine what it must be like for the non computer savvy people who think they can take their grandkids on a visit and don't realize all this junk? Someone like my mom (who hasn't been in years) would be lost, and consequently would have a miserable time.

Last edited:
Disney’s executives have become bloated with self importance and have allowed their parks specifically at WDW to become garbage, mouse infested parks with dirty restrooms.

I don’t blame the CM’s or anyone else, but the money men at the top. They have stopped listening to the people who buy the tickets and annual passes to their parks. They continue to raise prices even though their parks are dirty, the quality of food sold in their parks is awful, planning a trip there is ridiculous.

Those Disney executives believe that no matter how high they raise their prices that people who love Disney will keep coming irregardless of how poor the quality of the product. This to me is their future major downfall.

They have also stopped listening to their stockholders by the way.

I have family members who are Disney Parks fans and Disney product fans. They still feel the magic, but I don’t.

I used to do split stays with my grandchildren at WDW and Universal every May until a few years ago. We decided that we had had enough of massive crowds, overpriced hotel options, overpriced terrible food, and countless lost hours wasted in transport between the parks. Grandchildren said they did not want to go to Disney anymore.

I will give it to Disney that they have found a way to squeeze as much money out of a turnip as I have ever seen with dessert parties, MNSSHP etc.

I went to a MNSSHP 3 years ago and it was sold out crowded and hot. Trick or treating was a joke.

I think Disney is resting on its laurels that the demographic they have felt they always catered to.......young families is were the money is. It’s not. There are far more people like myself who are older and have the resources to bring their grandchildren to parks and do not want the hassle of over planning vacations that should be fun and unregimented.

Universal does not have to be a shot across the bow or body blow to Disney.

Universal is a fantastic destination that stands apart from Disney on its on merit.

The reasons Universal has won my heart and dollars is

1. They are always coming up with new rides and attractions.

2. Their food offerings in the parks are better than any theme park I have been to.

3. They have the nicest, most caring TM’s I have ever encountered.

4. The Resorts are beautiful and you are welcomed by the smiling faces of resort employees who really have your best interest at heart.

5. They worked with JK to bring two of the most immersive parks (Wizarding World of Harry Potter) into being.

6. The parks are clean. Bathrooms are clean.

7. They were first to implement bag check and scanning. Their security check folks are so nice. I feel safe with my grandchildren in their parks.

8. CityWalk has great restaurants to choose from.

9. The events like HHN, Mardi Gras etc.. are quality fun, creative events that are not overcrowded.

10. I have scene Universal executives at CityWalk and the parks walking around and interacting with the people who buy tickets. I think it’s important that the folks at the top visit their parks and care about people who are investing their hard earned vacation money.

11. Planning a stay at Universal is uncomplicated.

12. Parks days are enjoyable and rides are easily accessible.

13. Resorts are relaxing and enjoyable.

14. Parks are so close to Resorts you can go to parks and then come back to resort for down time at pool then return parks in the evening.

15. There are Quality Resort offerings to match any pocket book and more on the way.

16. The food offerings at the Resorts are fantastic and reasonable.

17. They have a medical response team that I have seen in action that are professional and caring.

I’am looking forward to Epic Universe and watching the new things that Universal has to offer.

This grandma is a Universal fan.

472B7FE1-D2B7-4E6F-A4C2-9BEB2B5AC825.gif

Last edited:
but you have an equal shot with other guests.
With the introduction of MaxPass you really don't. With MaxPass you a) get to choose what time your FP will be from the choices--without MP you only get the option of what the next distribution time is b) get the availability of FPs that are cancelled or modified by other guests who have purchased MP--without MP you don't have this availability.

Now pre-planning aspect is lower at DLR but MP created a similar-enough system where there are advantages now built in with FPs and unlike WDW (at the moment) those advantages come at a cost.

For me, making a rough plan of where I wanted to go at Universal Orlando in 2017 was helpful. But the parks was really well laid out so it enabled me to park hop multiple times a day, take a bus back to my hotel to rest, then repeat. Universal enabled my plans to be flexible when I needed it.

Absolutely. There are already more strollers than there used to be......heck a few families were using the strollers only to carry their supplies for the day!!! That may be fine for one or two people but what if we ALL did that...….unbelievable.

I couldn't do the parks completely in a day and we`ve been hundreds of times......

Universal already is a family park.....ignore the propaganda from some who say it`s only for teens and above as they only have "big rides" One look at the park maps show they have plenty to offer younger families already...….

I hope the new park doesn't focus on little people.....give us fun and rides that us adults enjoy.....

For some of us Universal gives us that warm magical feeling that some folks only thinks exist in Disney......well, magic is in the eye of the beholder......and for us Universal is our happy place.

This. So much.

I enjoy going back. I love the atmosphere, the rides, the people watching, the merchandise... I've said it before, I could go to UO once or twice each year. And I would never get tired of it.

I've mentioned it previously on other threads (on the WDW side of the Boards) but as someone who enjoys both WDW and USO I love love love that Universal is getting a new theme park. The downside is there's only so much time and money to experience both of them. We've done 5 WDW and 3 USO days in the past in 1 trip but with so much coming in the near future for both parks--it's gonna be hard to experience both like we have in the past. But I can't call that a con because more stuff to experience is a good thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter