Jon and Kate Plus 8, Official Thread-Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate is the one who has said over and over as soon as ONE family member is unhappy with the very public, stressful, scrutinized, lifestyle; it is over.

I think (and it's just my opionion) true misery in a relationship should trump happiness in the decision making process. There are lots of ways to be fulfilled and happy without involving your entire family's privacy, but being miserable is a strong emotion sometimes without much flexibility. Yes, I do agree many men want to be providers of some sort. I don't think he is. No, Jon's happiness is not Kate's responsibility, but it is a marriage and I don't see how she can find true happiness in his misery. I wonder when Kate was undergoing fertility treatments, and longing so badly for children if she envisioned her role as a mother the way it is now?

It's one thing to say that when the show is a part of your life - but much harder to actually do that when the show literally is your life.

She is not going to give up the fame and fortune without a fight and Jon will do what Jon always does - sit there and take it and let Kate have her way at his expense.

Kate is the one who has said over and over as soon as ONE family member is unhappy with the very public, stressful, scrutinized, lifestyle; it is over.

I think (and it's just my opionion) true misery in a relationship should trump happiness in the decision making process. There are lots of ways to be fulfilled and happy without involving your entire family's privacy, but being miserable is a strong emotion sometimes without much flexibility.

Yes, I do agree many men want to be providers of some sort. I don't think he is. No, Jon's happiness is not Kate's responsibility, but it is a marriage and I don't see how she can find true happiness in the lifestyle that he believes created his misery.

I wonder when Kate was undergoing fertility treatments, and longing so badly for children if she envisioned her role as a mother the way it is now?

I agree, Kate has said that numerous times...when it's not fun or makes someone unhappy, then they're done.

I also agree that misery is a very strong emotion and one a significant other shouldn't ignore. Let's flip this...suppose Kate was feeling worn out with the show and just tired of being "Jon and Kate plus 8", what do you all think would happen? I'd put some $ down on them cancelling the show if that were how Kate felt. It's not a normal job. How many of us go to work and are filmed and scrutinized for 4 days a weeks? Granted, they signed on for the whole experience but why isn't Jon allowed to feel the way he does? Kate is very vocal in how happy she is with her life, she's been quoted in articles that she'd love to have her own talk show even. So there's definitely a dichotomy going on between the two of them. I think that no matter who is unhappy in their marriage, they should both work it out. I just found it interesting that as Jon was trying to express himself and how he feels about the whole thing, Kate is chiming in how happy she is with her life. Wouldn't that make you feel like crap if you're telling your partner you're unhappy with your life, you feel lost and they say well, I'm happy and loving my life and what I'm doing? Now before anyone jumps all over me, I'm not putting this all on Kate's shoulders. This is a marriage with 2 adults making conscious decisions about their lives and the lives of their children. I just think they BOTH need to step back and consider what's best for each other and the kids. :goodvibes

now, that I don't know. TVbythenumbers shows DVR ratings, but only for the networks, best that I can can tell. According to Nielsen, who does that ratings .. their numbers include DVR playback on the same day. :confused3

American Idol isn't on Monday nights, it's on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Dancing With the Stars is on Mondays, though.

I thought the new J&K episodes were on Tuesday nights (?) I really don't know.

I wonder how much they have at stake financially. If they stop the show, would they lose their house ? The costs of upkeep alone on that property, I don't even want to imagine !!! What about the Hawaii trip.. you never know. There may be a clause somewhere that says they have to film so many more shows or have to pay them back some of the expenses.

I also agree that misery is a very strong emotion and one a significant other shouldn't ignore. Let's flip this...suppose Kate was feeling worn out with the show and just tired of being "Jon and Kate plus 8", what do you all think would happen? I'd put some $ down on them cancelling the show if that were how Kate felt. It's not a normal job. How many of us go to work and are filmed and scrutinized for 4 days a weeks? Granted, they signed on for the whole experience but why isn't Jon allowed to feel the way he does? Kate is very vocal in how happy she is with her life, she's been quoted in articles that she'd love to have her own talk show even. So there's definitely a dichotomy going on between the two of them. I think that no matter who is unhappy in their marriage, they should both work it out. I just found it interesting that as Jon was trying to express himself and how he feels about the whole thing, Kate is chiming in how happy she is with her life. Wouldn't that make you feel like crap if you're telling your partner you're unhappy with your life, you feel lost and they say well, I'm happy and loving my life and what I'm doing? Now before anyone jumps all over me, I'm not putting this all on Kate's shoulders. This is a marriage with 2 adults making conscious decisions about their lives and the lives of their children. I just think they BOTH need to step back and consider what's best for each other and the kids. :goodvibes

But again, kate is getting attacked. Perhaps she deserves it, but w hy should her misery replace his?? She would be miserable if she has to go back to life without celebrity. She clearly enjoys it, and all of it's perks (which I for one think is fine, she takes a lot of slack for living well).

In the finale I didn't feel that she was talking over him. I felt like he couldn't really explain his feelings very well, and she was speaking for him (which happens all the time in close relationships). I would also argue that Jon's misery is an understandable growing pain. I would imagine that any celebrity that ends up in tabloids goes through this at first. Most of the media attention they have received has been favorable. Only on obscure message boards and online communities has there been much negative exposure for them until recently(well, the soup isn't really favorable I guess...) Anyway. Jon has always liked the show in the past (or at least he seems to), and I imagine he is just going through a rough patch.

Also, I think the whole "will we be back for season five?" was silly. They were talking about their new chair and the new set, etc. Clearly it was going to happen.

Tough stuff for those two for sure. On top of everything they are going through they still have 8 very real children to raise. That show has only been on two years. What a ride for them...

I just found it interesting that as Jon was trying to express himself and how he feels about the whole thing, Kate is chiming in how happy she is with her life. Wouldn't that make you feel like crap if you're telling your partner you're unhappy with your life, you feel lost and they say well, I'm happy and loving my life and what I'm doing? . :goodvibes

This is an interesting way to look at that conversation. I understood it as her more pointing out that they are at a crossroad. To me it didn't feel like she was bragging, or rubbing it in his face, but rather just stating in a matter-of-fact way that she is happy.

Interesting stuff though, huh? I don't know why I am so interested in this family! I am though, and I want them to be successful and happy!

This is an interesting way to look at that conversation. I understood it as her more pointing out that they are at a crossroad. To me it didn't feel like she was bragging, or rubbing it in his face, but rather just stating in a matter-of-fact way that she is happy.

Interesting stuff though, huh? I don't know why I am so interested in this family! I am though, and I want them to be successful and happy!

I think she actually did say they were at a crossroads, didn't she? I don't think she was bragging about how happy she was, I'm just pointing out that if it were me and I was telling my hubby I felt lost and unhappy and then he said he's loving his life and the way it's going, I'd be annoyed a bit. I hope they work it out though, they have 8 very good reasons to!

It is interesting stuff, I agree! I've been watching the show since it started. I too want to see them happy and successful, particulary the kids. After watching the season finale, I actually felt a bit weepy (hormones probably!) to see them struggling. I'm not a Kate hater or whatever they call it. I just want them to make it work for both of them, you know?:goodvibes

But again, kate is getting attacked. Perhaps she deserves it, but w hy should her misery replace his?? She would be miserable if she has to go back to life without celebrity. She clearly enjoys it, and all of it's perks (which I for one think is fine, she takes a lot of slack for living well).

I don't think either of them should be "miserable" by any means. I think they both need to take a step back and figure out what's best for the FAMILY - not each other specifically. I think if they sat down and talked with the kids, the show would be done. I could see a special every now and again but weekly is getting to be a bit much for those kiddos I imagine.

In a "normal" family this kind of stuff occurs all the time and couples manage to make it work. I love to take pictures, scrapbook and spend time with my kids. Unfortunetly, laundry, work and other commitments get in the way of the "fun" stuff more than I'd like it to. Does that mean I'm going to do my "fun" stuff and make my husband do the rest because I deserve to be happy? Not a chance!! Instead, we'll work together and get everything done and save money to go to Disney later this year! :rotfl:

Point of the story, every couple makes sacrafices. Jon's made his being at home while Kate pretty much (from what it seems) goes on her book tours and speaking engagments. I think Jon was trying to say he wanted to be out doing something he got enjoyment from, helped to support his family and Kate stay home with the kids or get a "helper". MANY families have both parents working - this *could* be a choice for the Gosselins, I think it's a bit more realistic at least now that the kids are in school (or will be). Personally, I know I couldn't be a stay at home mom full time. I need adult interaction and love my job. I love my kids but they appreciate the time with their nanny and I appreciate my time at work being "successful" (in my book).

I guess that's kind of a long winded way to say I think they really need to sit down and talk about this both with each other and with the kids to see what everyone wants to do. Maybe TLC will let them cut back to half the number of shows or something so not as much filming is required.

Does anyone know like how many days of filming it takes for one show?? It seems like there are multiple days in one show. I was just curious if anyone knew or had experience with anything like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs6_562MpfI
the couch interview starts about 2:45 into the video.

she also made a point of telling Jon she feels like he's got the greatest thing in the world (or something very similar) and he says he doesn't. and while she isn't bragging about it .. she's sure doing all the talking about how great things are for her right now.

I don't think either of them should be "miserable" by any means. I think they both need to take a step back and figure out what's best for the FAMILY - not each other specifically. Does anyone know like how many days of filming it takes for one show?? It seems like there are multiple days in one show. I was just curious if anyone knew or had experience with anything like this.

I remember from a lonnng time ago it was reported that they taped 3-4 days a week for 6-8 hours a day (plus the pre and post production work that Jon and Kate do) for each episode. Someone help me here, but I 'think' that they talked about this on the couch during a Q&A show or I heard it from one of their speaking engagements; I really don't remember. I do know those numbers are pretty standard though for the family reality shows.

I agree, Kate has said that numerous times...when it's not fun or makes someone unhappy, then they're done.

Agreed!

This is all too deep for me. Jon is not happy now because he went to a bar and the pics got out. I can only imagine how mad Kate was at him when the pictures were plastered across the internet and entertainment shows.

Duggers tonight! :smickey:

This is all too deep for me. Jon is not happy now because he went to a bar and the pics got out. I can only imagine how mad Kate was at him when the pictures were plastered across the internet and entertainment shows.

Duggers tonight! :smickey:

Have to say I do agree with this. I think Jon is unhappy just now because he got a taste of the 'backlash' of being a celebrity - and didn't like it. He's been happy enough up till now.

We're a series behind over here, but from what I've gathered from this thread - he had a choice in becoming a SAHD for a while. Kate was a SAHM for a long time. If he didn't want to give up his job, he's a grown man he could have said "No." I don't think he's as hen pecked as he's made out to be on this thread - from the programmes I've seen he can stand up for himself OK.

Di x

Hey Everyone....in my reading of People's website today, I read part of this recap for Deperate Housewives....

Bree
Bree and Orson had a breakthrough in therapy, with Orson finally admitting he steals to hurt her. Orson told he didn’t like being Mr. Bree Van de Camp, and the only thing that was going to make him feel better was if she sold her company and devoted more time to him. Bree was set to sell it for the sake of her marriage, until Andrew asked why if Orson loved her would he want her to stop doing what makes her happy? Bree decided to wait a year to sell and write a second book — a decision that made Orson vow to start stealing again.

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/03/23/desperate-housewives-recap-edies-shocking-farewell/

Sound like anyone we know??? :rolleyes1

I don't think either of them should be "miserable" by any means. I think they both need to take a step back and figure out what's best for the FAMILY - not each other specifically. I think if they sat down and talked with the kids, the show would be done. I could see a special every now and again but weekly is getting to be a bit much for those kiddos I imagine.

I agree with this...the kids should be included in a discussion about whether to move forward or not. It's their lives too that are being disrupted and overworked. That's a good plan though, a special every now and then. I'd definitely watch that!:thumbsup2

The Duggars last night went diamond digging, where was that? I missed the first part of the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs6_562MpfI
the couch interview starts about 2:45 into the video.

she also made a point of telling Jon she feels like he's got the greatest thing in the world (or something very similar) and he says he doesn't. and while she isn't bragging about it .. she's sure doing all the talking about how great things are for her right now.

OK, I finally got a minute to watch it. Kinda fell into the Gumgate category for me. It just seemed like a raw moment where each of them were saying what's on their mind. Kate was saying that she loved doing what Jon is doing, he said it worked for her.

I think it was a pretty good interview, and I'm glad Jon addressed the elephant in the dining room.

Now, is there another interview where Jon mentioned wanting to work, feeling unfulfilled, or was that all interpretations of this interview?

OK, I finally got a minute to watch it. Kinda fell into the Gumgate category for me. It just seemed like a raw moment where each of them were saying what's on their mind. Kate was saying that she loved doing what Jon is doing, he said it worked for her.

I think it was a pretty good interview, and I'm glad Jon addressed the elephant in the dining room.

Now, is there another interview where Jon mentioned wanting to work, feeling unfulfilled, or was that all interpretations of this interview?
I think that's pretty much interpretations of the interview.

I'm not sure I think it was all that good .. I thought the edit was pretty choppy, and Kate just kept talking. And talking. The notion that they may not be back for season 5, while they're filming season 5, was just silly. Jon and Kate didn't really look like they were any happier or connected in that interview than they have in the last several ... one of the kids could have fit between them on the couch, almost. LOL.

But, mission accomplished for TLC. Ratings were through the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter