Little boys in the women's restroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 boys too and it's tough. As they get older, you just have to make your presence known and maintain verbal contact if you're worried. You can't humiliate your kid, or make other's uncomfortable. They paid to be at the game, theme park, whatever. My sister had security tell her to take her 8 year old out of the ladies room at a waterpark. She did not ask her, but told her do it or you're out of the park. At our YMCA, the cutoff for opposite sex kids with parents in the "family" locker rooms is 5. Yes, a little different due to the changing of clothes.

I hope people don't teach their kids to be scared of adults. We had a kid wreck her bike in front of our house. Her parents were walking a good ways behind her. When my husband approached to help her she screamed bloody murder not to touch her. When her parents finally arrived, they weren't appreciative of our concern. Sad. Sometimes a kid needs the help of a grownup. Most adults with kids would be willing to help a child in need. We have to believe most people are good. We as the good people have to watch out for other kids and red flags. My husband, and even my sons, will be subconsciously looking out for your little boy when they are in a WDW restroom... at least once in a while.

It has nothing to do with superior parenting skills. It has an abundance to do with common sense, and not letting media hype bind our next generation as it obviously has this one.

There are enough scary things in this world that kids have to deal with. They shouldn't have to deal with their parent's boogeymen on top of them.

I have to agree. :rolleyes:

I have 3 boys too and it's tough. As they get older, you just have to make your presence known and maintain verbal contact if you're worried. You can't humiliate your kid, or make other's uncomfortable. They paid to be at the game, theme park, whatever. My sister had security tell her to take her 8 year old out of the ladies room at a waterpark. She did not ask her, but told her do it or you're out of the park. At our YMCA, the cutoff for opposite sex kids with parents in the "family" locker rooms is 5. Yes, a little different due to the changing of clothes.
I hope people don't teach their kids to be scared of adults. We had a kid wreck her bike in front of our house. Her parents were walking a good ways behind her. When my husband approached to help her she screamed bloody murder not to touch her. When her parents finally arrived, they weren't appreciative of our concern. Sad. Sometimes a kid needs the help of a grownup. Most adults with kids would be willing to help a child in need. We have to believe most people are good. We as the good people have to watch out for other kids and red flags. My husband, and even my sons, will be subconsciously looking out for your little boy when they are in a WDW restroom... at least once in a while. :wave2:

That poor little girl.

It has nothing to do with superior parenting skills. It has an abundance to do with common sense, and not letting media hype bind our next generation as it obviously has this one.

There are enough scary things in this world that kids have to deal with. They shouldn't have to deal with their parent's boogeymen on top of them.

Common sense tells me that my young child doesn't need to be in a public restroom alone. and one more time, My child, My decision.

I know I am coming in on the end of this thread but, is it not true that women's bathrooms have stalls? We are all behind closed doors...why does it matter if my 4 year old son is in there with me? Now, I can honestly see how it would be inappropriate for a 4 year old girl to walk in and see a bunch of men at the urinals......

I know I am coming in on the end of this thread but, is it not true that women's bathrooms have stalls? We are all behind closed doors...why does it matter if my 4 year old son is in there with me? Now, I can honestly see how it would be inappropriate for a 4 year old girl to walk in and see a bunch of men at the urinals......

I agree - my husband will not take my daughters into a men's restroom. As much as possible we use family restrooms.

They surely do. :thumbsup2

No, they don't. Disney offers "companion" restrooms designed for the disabled as listed in the WDW guide for Disabilities. They offer higher toilets and grab bars.

"Family restrooms" usually have lower "pottys" and are labeled "Family restrooms"

No, they don't. Disney offers "companion" restrooms designed for the disabled as listed in the WDW guide for Disabilities. They offer higher toilets and grab bars.

"Family restrooms" usually have lower "pottys" and are labeled "Family restrooms"

Oh puleez. Families are usually companions and they are intended for people who may need assistance...ie: young kids. I've never seen a family restroom with lower toilets. Whatev.

You can't be serious. Everyone who goes into public knows they were talking about a large, private restroom for more than one person with a locking door.

I know...that's what I was thinking when I read that!

Her 17 year old is a girl, so no one would even question it.

Oh puleez. Families are usually companions and they are intended for people who may need assistance...ie: young kids. I've never seen a family restroom with lower toilets. Whatev.

You can't be serious. Everyone who goes into public knows they were talking about a large, private restroom for more than one person with a locking door.

Why is it so hard for people to get that there are many people who can not use the regular restroom due to size constraints? Their wheelchair might not fit, or they may be an adult with an opposite sex caretaker. They may need the space to change a colostomy bag without being oogled. There are other medical issues as well. They really are basically oversized handicap-accessible restrooms, and there are only a handful in the parks as it is. If it were a "family" restroom, it would be marked as such. But it isn't, it is a companion restroom. The two are not the same.

Can you use them? Yes, but why would you want to tie up a room you don't need, and keep it from someone who does?

I guess just don't get the self-centeredness:confused3

This is my last post on this thread, it has gone on far too long past any usefulness.

I keep a close eye on my kids, 13 and 11, and I am probably overprotective. But at Disney World, there is often an attendant in the restrooms cleaning, and there are always other people in the restroom. I definitely do not worry at Disney. I let the kids go down to the hotel game room or lobby by themselves, and this year, may let them go to the parks on the bus by themselves.

I know there are always going to be a lot of overprotective parents around at Disney World, who I think would come to the aid of a kid in trouble. I can totally see a lynch mob forming if someone bothered a child in a restroom at Disney World. There are always Cms within yelling distance.

Disney World is not an easy target area. Predators look for easy targets. At Disney World, the criminal would have to pay for entry to the park, would be under near constant surveillance by cameras and undercover security (they are everywhere), and be around a lot of people. A much easier target would be the local mall, etc.

There is a big difference between a 13 yearl old and a 7 year old (what this thread was talking about). For the record, I have been in plenty of washrooms at WDW where there was no attendant or CM cleaning; as well as uncrowded washrooms.

Again, thanks for respecting the opinion of others.

Wow, you don't know what you have been missing! For example-my local mall has a family restroom. It has a big potty and right next to it is....... a LITTLE potty for junior. And the sign on the door says....... FAMILY restroom. The mall I visit near family has a FAMILY restroom.

The companion restrooms at Disney are limited. They may be the only restroom a disabled person can use. Please be respectful.

Why is it so hard for people to get that there are many people who can not use the regular restroom due to size constraints? Their wheelchair might not fit, or they may be an adult with an opposite sex caretaker. They may need the space to change a colostomy bag without being oogled. There are other medical issues as well. They really are basically oversized handicap-accessible restrooms, and there are only a handful in the parks as it is. If it were a "family" restroom, it would be marked as such. But it isn't, it is a companion restroom. The two are not the same.

Can you use them? Yes, but why would you want to tie up a room you don't need, and keep it from someone who does?
I guess just don't get the self-centeredness:confused3

This is my last post on this thread, it has gone on far too long past any usefulness.

A companion is also someone who is caring for an opposite sex child and doesn't feel comfortable taking them in the regular bathroom or sending them in alone. That's what this thread is about, and the COMPANION restroom is a viable option! :wave2: bye bye

Wow, I had no idea what I was starting!

I'm a little shocked by how nasty some people are.

For the record, my friend is not an over-protective mom by any stretch of the imagination. I suppose if she was, she wouldn't have let me take her 8 year old daughter (last year) and now her 7 year old son to Disney World without her. She hasn't burdened me with a list of demands or even suggestions. And while we called home every single night, that was MY idea, not mom's (or goddaughter's either...). This is the one and only thing she's asked of me.

Now for a little sane perspective. My godson is currently 6 - he'll be 7 when we go. He'll only be in the 1st grade, and he's not very sophisticated for his age. He's never been to an amusement park before - or many places more crowded than a small town store. It's not even that mom is so worried that some pervert will mess with him and he won't know how to respond. It's also that she worries he'll wander off if he's outside waiting for me to go to the women's room. And since she's never been to Disney, she doesn't even realize that many of the restrooms have more than one exit.

Mom insists that he is very well behaved in the women's restroom, does not run around or peek in stalls, and is actually better behaved than his older sister (who had a wierd issue with those self-flushing toilets last year - what's up with that anyway?)

And I am not going to take someone else's son into a stall or a companion bathroom with me.

I was a little unsure about this, since I'm not a mom myself and hadn't really thought about the subject. But after this nonsensical blathering about overprotective mothers supposedly thinking all men are perverts, I'm getting more than a little ticked off. I'm very sorry if you think a mother and godmother worrying about a 7 year old wandering off is hysterically overprotective. You'll just have to deal with that yourself, because I frankly don't care.

Wow, I had no idea what I was starting!

I'm a little shocked by how nasty some people are.

For the record, my friend is not an over-protective mom by any stretch of the imagination. I suppose if she was, she wouldn't have let me take her 8 year old daughter (last year) and now her 7 year old son to Disney World without her. She hasn't burdened me with a list of demands or even suggestions. And while we called home every single night, that was MY idea, not mom's (or goddaughter's either...). This is the one and only thing she's asked of me.

Now for a little sane perspective. My godson is currently 6 - he'll be 7 when we go. He'll only be in the 1st grade, and he's not very sophisticated for his age. He's never been to an amusement park before - or many places more crowded than a small town store. It's not even that mom is so worried that some pervert will mess with him and he won't know how to respond. It's also that she worries he'll wander off if he's outside waiting for me to go to the women's room. And since she's never been to Disney, she doesn't even realize that many of the restrooms have more than one exit.

Mom insists that he is very well behaved in the women's restroom, does not run around or peek in stalls, and is actually better behaved than his older sister (who had a wierd issue with those self-flushing toilets last year - what's up with that anyway?)

And I am not going to take someone else's son into a stall or a companion bathroom with me.

I was a little unsure about this, since I'm not a mom myself and hadn't really thought about the subject. But after this nonsensical blathering about overprotective mothers supposedly thinking all men are perverts, I'm getting more than a little ticked off. I'm very sorry if you think a mother and godmother worrying about a 7 year old wandering off is hysterically overprotective. You'll just have to deal with that yourself, because I frankly don't care.

:thumbsup2 Way to go OP! I hope that this will put an end to what started out nicely but quickly turned into a ridiculous and insulting topic.

:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter