Little boys in the women's restroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I had no idea what I was starting!

I'm a little shocked by how nasty some people are.

For the record, my friend is not an over-protective mom by any stretch of the imagination. I suppose if she was, she wouldn't have let me take her 8 year old daughter (last year) and now her 7 year old son to Disney World without her. She hasn't burdened me with a list of demands or even suggestions. And while we called home every single night, that was MY idea, not mom's (or goddaughter's either...). This is the one and only thing she's asked of me.

Now for a little sane perspective. My godson is currently 6 - he'll be 7 when we go. He'll only be in the 1st grade, and he's not very sophisticated for his age. He's never been to an amusement park before - or many places more crowded than a small town store. It's not even that mom is so worried that some pervert will mess with him and he won't know how to respond. It's also that she worries he'll wander off if he's outside waiting for me to go to the women's room. And since she's never been to Disney, she doesn't even realize that many of the restrooms have more than one exit.

Mom insists that he is very well behaved in the women's restroom, does not run around or peek in stalls, and is actually better behaved than his older sister (who had a wierd issue with those self-flushing toilets last year - what's up with that anyway?)

And I am not going to take someone else's son into a stall or a companion bathroom with me.

I was a little unsure about this, since I'm not a mom myself and hadn't really thought about the subject. But after this nonsensical blathering about overprotective mothers supposedly thinking all men are perverts, I'm getting more than a little ticked off. I'm very sorry if you think a mother and godmother worrying about a 7 year old wandering off is hysterically overprotective. You'll just have to deal with that yourself, because I frankly don't care.

OP, I do think the majority of people here agree that it's fine to take a 7 year old into the ladies room - it's those who think it's fine to bring in older children that some of us disagree with.

Why is it so hard for people to get that there are many people who can not use the regular restroom due to size constraints? Their wheelchair might not fit, or they may be an adult with an opposite sex caretaker. They may need the space to change a colostomy bag without being oogled. There are other medical issues as well. They really are basically oversized handicap-accessible restrooms, and there are only a handful in the parks as it is. If it were a "family" restroom, it would be marked as such. But it isn't, it is a companion restroom. The two are not the same.

Can you use them? Yes, but why would you want to tie up a room you don't need, and keep it from someone who does?

I guess just don't get the self-centeredness:confused3

This is my last post on this thread, it has gone on far too long past any usefulness.

Just wanted to say I agree with you 100% :thumbsup2

Withacy- This thread did jump the shark after the first page but I appreciate you coming in here with an amazing voice of reason. I hope everyone here can agree that a little boy shouldn't be scared and alone wandering around the park while his adult using the restroom. If anyone believes otherwise, well that is definitely their problem, not yours. :) Have fun with your Godson and bless you for being such a wonderful Godparent and treating these children to Disney World. You're a rare gem.

Wow, I had no idea what I was starting!

I'm a little shocked by how nasty some people are.

For the record, my friend is not an over-protective mom by any stretch of the imagination. I suppose if she was, she wouldn't have let me take her 8 year old daughter (last year) and now her 7 year old son to Disney World without her. She hasn't burdened me with a list of demands or even suggestions. And while we called home every single night, that was MY idea, not mom's (or goddaughter's either...). This is the one and only thing she's asked of me.

Now for a little sane perspective. My godson is currently 6 - he'll be 7 when we go. He'll only be in the 1st grade, and he's not very sophisticated for his age. He's never been to an amusement park before - or many places more crowded than a small town store. It's not even that mom is so worried that some pervert will mess with him and he won't know how to respond. It's also that she worries he'll wander off if he's outside waiting for me to go to the women's room. And since she's never been to Disney, she doesn't even realize that many of the restrooms have more than one exit.

Mom insists that he is very well behaved in the women's restroom, does not run around or peek in stalls, and is actually better behaved than his older sister (who had a wierd issue with those self-flushing toilets last year - what's up with that anyway?)

And I am not going to take someone else's son into a stall or a companion bathroom with me.

I was a little unsure about this, since I'm not a mom myself and hadn't really thought about the subject. But after this nonsensical blathering about overprotective mothers supposedly thinking all men are perverts, I'm getting more than a little ticked off. I'm very sorry if you think a mother and godmother worrying about a 7 year old wandering off is hysterically overprotective. You'll just have to deal with that yourself, because I frankly don't care.
Excellent post. Just keep that attitude and don't let the holier-than-thous on this board yet to you.

But what if it makes my nine year old girl uncomfortable to see a nine year old boy in there? How fair is that to either of them?

What if it's a 6 or 7 year old? Would you prefer those little boys take a chance at getting lost or worse so that your daughter isn't uncomfortable?

Age 9, I think we ought to be thinking about teaching our boys to wait outside.

What if it's a 6 or 7 year old? Would you prefer those little boys take a chance at getting lost or worse so that your daughter isn't uncomfortable?

Age 9, I think we ought to be thinking about teaching our boys to wait outside.

six, seven, I don't have a problem. I just know at nine it is a little different. Nine is really on the edge. They are maturing. My oldest at nine looked 13-seriously. He was going through puberty around 10.5, 11. I , personally, think nine is too old in the woman's room.

However, I wouldn't really care if you took your nine year old in. I would feel bad for him but I wouldn't care. And if he is a typical nine year old, he will feel embarrassed. At nine, a mother can wait outside the men's and just holller in every now and then. That is what I do.

And no, I don't want any child getting lost. I do think, however, my daughter should be able to use the bathroom without feeling like a nine year old boy is watching her.

six, seven, I don't have a problem. I just know at nine it is a little different. Nine is really on the edge. They are maturing. My oldest at nine looked 13-seriously. He was going through puberty around 10.5, 11. I , personally, think nine is too old in the woman's room.

However, I wouldn't really care if you took your nine year old in. I would feel bad for him but I wouldn't care. And if he is a typical nine year old, he will feel embarrassed. At nine, a mother can wait outside the men's and just holller in every now and then. That is what I do.

See now here's where it gets tricky. What if your child is off the charts for height and looks much older?

See now here's where it gets tricky. What if your child is off the charts for height and looks much older?

Well I guess you just have to ignore those dirty looks. Have your child do his business and get the heck out of dodge.

At two my son looked four, spoke like a three year old but acted like a two year old. We were always having to explain ourselves.

He is 20 and is finally starting to look his age!

From experience, my three boys would not be caught in a ladies room. I have to respect that and let them do their business in the men's room. However, I don't just let them go, I stand outside and check in every now and then.

I have this problem at the gym. Older boys coming into the woman's locker room. My daughter's don't like it. Their is a family changing room but the mother's don't think it is convenient. They have had to really crack down on boys afte 4 going into the girls locker room (I personally think a five, six seven year old is fine with his mother but they say five is too 0ld).

Use the family rooms and move on.

From experience, my three boys would not be caught in a ladies room. I have to respect that and let them do their business in the men's room. However, I don't just let them go, I stand outside and check in every now and then.

Which is all well and good as long as you never have to go to the bathroom. Boy, I wish I had that kind of iron bladder. One 7 year old child, alone - with no older child or other adult to keep an eye on him. Still, what are the odds that something will catch his attention and draw him away? It's not like there's anything distracting at DISNEY WORLD!

I believe my godson is used to going into the women's restroom (he's still 6 and in kindergarten at this point), but even if he decides he doesn't like it, that he even hates it, it really doesn't matter. I'm not going to make that call. "Gee, sorry I lost your son - but hey, at least I didn't offend anyone by taking him in the women's restroom!"

But I'm funny that way.

Which is all well and good as long as you never have to go to the bathroom. Boy, I wish I had that kind of iron bladder. One 7 year old child, alone - with no older child or other adult to keep an eye on him. Still, what are the odds that something will catch his attention and draw him away? It's not like there's anything distracting at DISNEY WORLD!

I believe my godson is used to going into the women's restroom (he's still 6 and in kindergarten at this point), but even if he decides he doesn't like it, that he even hates it, it really doesn't matter. I'm not going to make that call. "Gee, sorry I lost your son - but hey, at least I didn't offend anyone by taking him in the women's restroom!"

But I'm funny that way.

ITA. You have to respect the wishes of his Mom, and besides, 7 is just not offensive to most people. Especially since he is well behaved. If he is use to this, it should not be a big deal. Safety first! Have a great trip! Sounds like he will be a great travel buddy!
also... You're right, leaving him unattended while you go into the restroom alone is probably more dangerous than sending him in alone while you attentivley wait outside. Good point. :thumbsup2

Unfortunately, even the truly ignorant somehow figure out how to book plane tickets and hotel rooms.

As a mother it is YOUR JOB to provide for your child's safety.

An adult woman feels uncomforatable with your son in the women's restroom? Let her go find another restroom. There are plenty out there. Don't let her problem become your problem.

Someone's preteen daughter feels uncomfortable with your son in the restroom? I say her parents need to get her some counseling. If she is so afraid of males that simply being in a room with one makes her uncomfortable, she needs help.

Bottom line, whether your son is 4, 6, 8, 10, or even 12, if you feel he needs to come with you into the women's restroom, take him along.

Too danged many people out there feel as if the whole world needs to bow to their whims! Do not endanger your child in response to hysterical, self-centered idiots!

And more think very little about facts.

Just curious, but are the children who DO get attacked by some random crazy (anywhere) just not important? Are their plights somehow less severe because the chance was so slim?

I'll have to remember that I don't really count as a statistic the next time I have that nightmare about what happened to me at the playground across the street from my house by a total stranger when I was 7.

It happens. Just because the chances of it happening are SLIM doesn't make it any less heartbreaking, humiliating, life-changing, and terrifying. I think I'd rather eliminate that chance as long as I can until my children are old enough to know how to react and have learned a little more about instinct. And even then, I'd prefer it if they'd go in pairs.

Sorry if that offends you in some way.

Unfortunately, even the truly ignorant somehow figure out how to book plane tickets and hotel rooms.

An adult woman feels uncomforatable with your son in the women's restroom? Let her go find another restroom. There are plenty out there. Don't let her problem become your problem.

Someone's preteen daughter feels uncomfortable with your son in the restroom? I say her parents need to get her some counseling. If she is so afraid of males that simply being in a room with one makes her uncomfortable, she needs help.

Bottom line, whether your son is 4, 6, 8, 10, or even 12, if you feel he needs to come with you into the women's restroom, take him along.

Too danged many people out there feel as if the whole world needs to bow to their whims! Do not endanger your child in response to hysterical, self-centered idiots!

Oh, my, my daughter needs counseling (and help) because she doesn't like a boy in the bathroom. I am sure you loved being around boys in the bathroom at that age. Seriously, were you never a kid?

I think if your 12 (it was 7, then nine and now we are up to 12) needs to go potty with mommy, he needs counseling and so does the mother.

The hysterical, self centered idiots are the ones bringing their 10 and 12 year olds in, and I would not hesitate to contact security - and there is nothing wrong with my dd12 being uncomfortable with a boy her age in the ladies room - he does not belong there - and I would assume he would be absolutely mortified (unless he's developmentally delayed, and then yes, not a problem). Instead of smothering our children, lets get busy raising adults.

But what if it makes my nine year old girl uncomfortable to see a nine year old boy in there? How fair is that to either of them?

We weren't talking about a 9 year old boy, we were talking about a 7 year old boy. I don't know that many 9 year old girls uncomfortable about seeing a 7 year old boy in the restroom, but is she is she can be uncomfortable for the few minutes. Safety first.

The hysterical, self centered idiots are the ones bringing their 10 and 12 year olds in, and I would not hesitate to contact security - and there is nothing wrong with my dd12 being uncomfortable with a boy her age in the ladies room - he does not belong there - and I would assume he would be absolutely mortified (unless he's developmentally delayed, and then yes, not a problem). Instead of smothering our children, lets get busy raising adults.

What do you think security will do?

I agree and well said.

Really a 12 year old in the women's room???

Disney-Applause.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter