• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Main Street Theater project cancelled?

I will add though, he has a great point. As nice as it would have been to have the Theater, what is needed in any of the parks is a solid Eater of crowd of the 2000 per hour, every hour as he stated. If they cancelled this, to get to that...then I am all for it.

I jokingly stated oh...they are bring GMR back??? ;)

I will add though, he has a great point. As nice as it would have been to have the Theater, what is needed in any of the parks is a solid Eater of crowd of the 2000 per hour, every hour as he stated. If they cancelled this, to get to that...then I am all for it.

I jokingly stated oh...they are bring GMR back??? ;)

I would love something on (or just off, like this) of Main St devote to Walt and his history ... so almost like a Great Movie Ride but about Walt and the Disney Studios, etc...

... not sure if it would draw 2,000 people/hour but it would draw me 2,000 times!

Wow .. shocking considering it was a big announcement that caught a lot of people off guard. I mean rumors were around about the other announcements, but feels like the theatre announcement caught everyone off-guard. Surprised they would announcement something like this at such a big, public event if it didn't have a huge green light.

I mean we KNOW they are shutting down Stitch to replace it for something, yet nothing has been announced.
We KNOW they are changing the name to DHS, yet nothing has been announced.
We KNOW that there are more changes coming to Epcot, but nothing solid has been announced beyond Guardians and Ratatouille.

Not sure why they would be so public like this .. just to cancel it before it even got off the ground. *shrug*. I guess no different than budget cuts to the concepts of the new lands (like Toy Story Lands).

Shame .. I was excited for that a theatre at MK to have shows like they have at DHS and AK.

As much as I would enjoy a theater show, if cutting something like this means not having to cut back elsewhere (such as TRON and rides at EPCOT) then I'm alright with it.

I would love something on (or just off, like this) of Main St devote to Walt and his history ... so almost like a Great Movie Ride but about Walt and the Disney Studios, etc...

... not sure if it would draw 2,000 people/hour but it would draw me 2,000 times!
I think it would be an amazing idea to do an attraction about Disney itself. Whether it involves the history or movies or anything Disney related doesn't matter, but just something to say this is what Disney is all about. The style of GMR would be awesome too. I think the first thing that people need when they enter the park is something history related to the company. That could also allow them to move One Man's Dream to that area or get rid of it cuz you'd get the history that way.

Maybe it's was reading the room?? I mean it's hardly been mentioned by even die hard fans and not at all by causal fans. Do you know anyone who was even remotely planning a trip around it? Mickey's Runaway Railway has far more buzz. The gondola thread is up to page what now?! Lots of other announcements have excitement and anticipation building around them.
This one just...didn't. While I think it would have been a huge success, it's easy to see how it slip through.

Maybe it's was reading the room?? I mean it's hardly been mentioned by even die hard fans and not at all by causal fans. Do you know anyone who was even remotely planning a trip around it? Mickey's Runaway Railway has far more buzz. The gondola thread is up to page what now?! Lots of other announcements have excitement and anticipation building around them.
This one just...didn't. While I think it would have been a huge success, it's easy to see how it slip through.

I don't think that's the issue. It would have generated and immense buzz when the content was released and again every time a new show was put in place. I really think there is a construction issue that had no simple solution.

I don't think people are planning trips around the Skyliner or Tron so why would that have an impact on the theater? It didn't have negative press many people were looking forward to it.

I wasn't very excited by the announcement to begin with, but am interested to know why they stopped (if they do).

It appears to be more money than construction. Site planning and permits had been filed so they knew what they were getting into.
If the issue is simply money then I worry for other things on the docket. They made a big deal out of this at D23 and, while I think MK is actually in better shape in terms of attractions per attendance than the other WDW parks, this would have eaten quite a crowd at a crowded park. But regardless, if they are willing to cut something they made a big deal out of, this early in the construction blitz, that doesn't bode well for EPCOT getting some badly needed love when nothing has really been announced.

All of this rash of construction is just touching on making up for the dearth of construction for over a decade. If they aren't going to continue the program, and are already cutting ideas that were big enough to be featured at D23, WDW is going to fall farther behind.

If the issue is simply money then I worry for other things on the docket. They made a big deal out of this at D23 and, while I think MK is actually in better shape in terms of attractions per attendance than the other WDW parks, this would have eaten quite a crowd at a crowded park. But regardless, if they are willing to cut something they made a big deal out of, this early in the construction blitz, that doesn't bode well for EPCOT getting some badly needed love when nothing has really been announced.

All of this rash of construction is just touching on making up for the dearth of construction for over a decade. If they aren't going to continue the program, and are already cutting ideas that were big enough to be featured at D23, WDW is going to fall farther behind.
Money issues have already been raised. You have this, some rumors that the Coco overlay is due to more money going to UK ride, Toy story was cost saved, SW:GE was cost saved(planned at one time to have 3 attractions), this isn't new news. Not to mention the fact they can't pick a choice for Stitch, and Epcot entrance and spine has been pushed back for quite a bit(which I bet is design and cost induced).

Again, this shouldn't be new news that they are moving money around and cutting some ideas down due to it.

I was kind of looking forward to this. Wouldn’t surprise me if something was wrong with the site

Unless they bring back the night parade... a great theater show would have really helped with crowds.

(I loved Aladdin at DL, it’s one of those things you don’t fully appreciate until you do it)

Money issues have already been raised. You have this, some rumors that the Coco overlay is due to more money going to UK ride, Toy story was cost saved, SW:GE was cost saved(planned at one time to have 3 attractions), this isn't new news. Not to mention the fact they can't pick a choice for Stitch, and Epcot entrance and spine has been pushed back for quite a bit(which I bet is design and cost induced).

Again, this shouldn't be new news that they are moving money around and cutting some ideas down due to it.

Yes. But that is scaling stuff back, not chopping out something major introduced at D23. It's a different animal. There are always project accommodations for budget. Had they scaled this back I'd get it for budget. But to kill it outright is intriguing.

As for Coco, this isn't a real thing that was happening. We think it makes sense and is rumored, but there was no press conference for it. Same with UK, Stitch, etc. The EPCOT entrance and spine has had no definitive design or even a real decision. So money isn't necessarily allocated. Not like it was for a project that already had shovels on site and prep work started.

Bit worried that a few of these big D23 announcements are apparently not happening. The Magic Kingdom theatre gone, the re-work of future world seemly pushed back past the 50th.

They really need to get some decisions made on what they are concreting on. If they pull their finger they should easily be able to revamp Tomorrowland for the 50th. Add Tron, refurb buzz, CoP and speedway. Reimagine Stitch and laugh floor.

I don't think that's the issue. It would have generated and immense buzz when the content was released and again every time a new show was put in place. I really think there is a construction issue that had no simple solution.
I agree, I think more what I meant was if budget or man power(construction, imagineering, etc) .which project from D23 would you cut?
I think cutting others would have been met by more disappointment.

Honestly, I was never excited about it. Shows at a theme parks aren't my thing, I barely watch the fireworks.

Now another ride, that's a better rumor. :)

Honestly, I was never excited about it. Shows at a theme parks aren't my thing, I barely watch the fireworks.

Now another ride, that's a better rumor. :)
I wouldn’t say there is a rumor for another ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter