It seems I hit a nerve, that was not my intention. I am an academic and enjoy engaging in these types of exercises. Of course Disney will only change the process if it is perceived as broken (i.e. they get more people than on this board complaining about coral placement). I do know Disney has an army of data scientists, I wonder if any are helping the runDisney group.

I included age and gender in my initial model because prior data suggests these are at least somewhat correlated with running speed. Perhaps they wouldn't be important in this situation, but I wouldn't know until I run the models. Same with number of photos. And I didn't even bring up the possibility of interaction effects ;-)

Am I wrong that most think the large corals and placement for non-POT runners is problematic? I think so, which is why I submitted a POT. Maybe for half the runners it's not a big deal. But it is fun to think about possible better solutions.

Ultimately I think we all like to dissect and figure out things and debate them which is why we are all here existing on a message board. There are things that rundisney has no huge incentive to implement, but it can be fun to nitpick the data. It's always best not to take anything too personally. Unless anyone says anything bad about the Tiki Room or the People Mover...then I will be seriously agitated :)

Ultimately I think we all like to dissect and figure out things and debate them which is why we are all here existing on a message board. There are things that rundisney has no huge incentive to implement, but it can be fun to nitpick the data. It's always best not to take anything too personally. Unless anyone says anything bad about the Tiki Room or the People Mover...then I will be seriously agitated :)
AND COUNTRY BEARS!

I'm really hoping that this year the crowds are more manageable. Last year was insane.

Last time I checked touringplans.com, the park crowd levels ranged from 2-6, with an average level of 4-5.

That can all change, of course, but I’m banking on marathon weekend 2019 being reminiscent of 2017. No big rD anniversary, further from the holidays and I’ve read elsewhere that more people could be putting off trips until Galaxy’s Edge opens late next year.

It seems I hit a nerve, that was not my intention. I am an academic and enjoy engaging in these types of exercises. Of course Disney will only change the process if it is perceived as broken (i.e. they get more people than on this board complaining about coral placement). I do know Disney has an army of data scientists, I wonder if any are helping the runDisney group.

I included age and gender in my initial model because prior data suggests these are at least somewhat correlated with running speed. Perhaps they wouldn't be important in this situation, but I wouldn't know until I run the models. Same with number of photos. And I didn't even bring up the possibility of interaction effects ;-)

Am I wrong that most think the large corals and placement for non-POT runners is problematic? I think so, which is why I submitted a POT. Maybe for half the runners it's not a big deal. But it is fun to think about possible better solutions.

Oh, I think plenty of us think it's problematic...runDisney has just beaten us all down into submission. :D

And, speculating about possible solutions is fun. It's always nice to play the fantasy game about how they could improve the racing experience. Like, I want them to just let me start in the A corral because, well, okay, I have no rational reason, but it would still be nice. ;)

Am I wrong that most think the large corals and placement for non-POT runners is problematic? I think so, which is why I submitted a POT. Maybe for half the runners it's not a big deal.
Define "problematic"... because it's no problem at all from rD's view, given that this is how they've been operating for a couple years now. My guess is that they were sick to death of hearing complaints that "Susie and I both entered a 2:45 finish, so how come Susie got into corral E and I'm stuck in corral F?!" With everyone who entered the same time in one corral, that's fewer mails and phone calls to deal with, so it's a win at rD's end.

For we runners in the giant corrals? Eh. I mean, I hate crowds and, thus, am not a fan of the current system. But as I've said before, being in the giant corrals has rarely* been a barrier to running the race I want to run. So while I don't enjoy the current system, I can't honestly say it's a problem either, KWIM?

(*PHM is the exception. That was really, really unpleasant and difficult.)

Last time I checked touringplans.com, the park crowd levels ranged from 2-6, with an average level of 4-5.

That can all change, of course, but I’m banking on marathon weekend 2019 being reminiscent of 2017. No big rD anniversary, further from the holidays and I’ve read elsewhere that more people could be putting off trips until Galaxy’s Edge opens late next year.
They will change several times yet. My Wine and Dine crowds have changed at least a dozen times.

I will say Disney has priced the marathon weekend dates at mid to upper level tickets. I was playing with the new system and with a 1-day ticket the price is $122 per day on marathon weekend.

Unless anyone says anything bad about the Tiki Room or the People Mover...then I will be seriously agitated :)

Why is there strange chanting in the Tiki Room???
I'm okay with the birds singing words and the flowers crooning. But what's with the chanting??? It's so weird!!!

Define "problematic"... because it's no problem at all from rD's view, given that this is how they've been operating for a couple years now. My guess is that they were sick to death of hearing complaints that "Susie and I both entered a 2:45 finish, so how come Susie got into corral E and I'm stuck in corral F?!" With everyone who entered the same time in one corral, that's fewer mails and phone calls to deal with, so it's a win at rD's end.

For we runners in the giant corrals? Eh. I mean, I hate crowds and, thus, am not a fan of the current system. But as I've said before, being in the giant corrals has rarely* been a barrier to running the race I want to run. So while I don't enjoy the current system, I can't honestly say it's a problem either, KWIM?

(*PHM is the exception. That was really, really unpleasant and difficult.)

@rteetz Newish compared to other on this forum. I have been following along for a couple of years. And I'm getting that runDisney is not data driven, that seems very clear. I should have phrased it as a question: Given Disney's emphasis on data for other parts of its business, why hasn't that made its way to runDisney?

@PrincessV I agree rD does not view it as problematic. They probably won't view it as problematic until there is a serious injury at the start and/or registrations drop (or possibly if complaints become larger in numbers). I am complaining about the large corrals but I'm still registered for the race, so I see rD POV that there isn't a problem to fix (yet).

I agree too that it doesn't really impact the race. I thought the crowd smoothed out nicely by the 2nd or 3rd mile. Maybe I lost a minute dodging or trying to pass, but what's a minute over 26.2 miles?!

They will change several times yet. My Wine and Dine crowds have changed at least a dozen times.

I will say Disney has priced the marathon weekend dates at mid to upper level tickets. I was playing with the new system and with a 1-day ticket the price is $122 per day on marathon weekend.

Looks like they also know that there are a lot of people who start their vacation that Wed, Thur etc. because you have to be there for the expo and races. Because those dates are a teeny bit more $ than someone like me who is coming in on Friday in the middle of the race weekend.

Why is there strange chanting in the Tiki Room???
I'm okay with the birds singing words and the flowers crooning. But what's with the chanting??? It's so weird!!!

Oh man, the chanting is the best. Let's go together during WDW weekend so you can die of second-hand embarassment while I loudly chant along!

Re giant corrals: I'm no stranger to giant "you don't meet the qualification cutoff" corrals in big city races near me. Just hung out in one a week ago. But usually you don't have to be in those corrals at the same time that the head corrals have to be. There's multiple start times. Would it make any sense at all for Disney to have two back to back start times for the front portion and the back portion with different "you must be in your corral by" times to eliminate the insane waits for the back of the packers ORRRRRR does that not matter because people will still want to get in the corrals early to get better access to picture stops and more cushion from the sweepers???

Well, I think I've talked myself out of that idea.

Looks like they also know that there are a lot of people who start their vacation that Wed, Thur etc. because you have to be there for the expo and races. Because those dates are a teeny bit more $ than someone like me who is coming in on Friday in the middle of the race weekend.

Oh man, the chanting is the best. Let's go together during WDW weekend so you can die of second-hand embarassment while I loudly chant along!
Friday is the perfect arrival day for Goofy...

@rteetz Newish compared to other on this forum. I have been following along for a couple of years. And I'm getting that runDisney is not data driven, that seems very clear. I should have phrased it as a question: Given Disney's emphasis on data for other parts of its business, why hasn't that made its way to runDisney?
A lot of things Disney does doesn’t make sense. Their reservation systems are all different. So Disneyland, DCL and WDW are all different systems. Their apps all operate differently as well. Today Disney just rolled out a crazy ambitious ticket system that you need a PhD to understand.

The People Mover does excellently in achieving its primary purpose of diverting crowds from better attractions. #facts #science

I should have phrased it as a question: Given Disney's emphasis on data for other parts of its business, why hasn't that made its way to runDisney?

You mean the data from four-plus years ago that’s just now being disseminated into use? Even with all the data they do have, Disney takes longer than most companies to make data-based adaptive change.

Also, RunDisney is a very small department under the arm of Disney Sports & Youth Activities that operates as a largely outsourced, break-even organization. As long as events aren’t losing money and still contribute to the overall fiscal bottom line (ie. filling up parks and hotels during the slowest times of the season), it’s very much “ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. It’s not created as a charity event to make every runner happy, it’s just a way to get an extra 25,000 people to Disney on a slow weekend.

After having experienced the Chicago marathon along with @roxymama liked that you weren't required to be in your corrals as early as you must be at Disney. Maybe people would arrive early regardless, but it was a nice part of the Chicago experience.

Sounds like a plan. I gotta die eventually, and second-hand embarrassment in the tiki room seems like a decent way to go.

Re giant corrals: I'm no stranger to giant "you don't meet the cutoff" corrals in big city races near me. Just hung out in one a week ago. But usually you don't have to be in those corrals at the same time that the head corrals have to be. There's multiple start times. Would it make any sense at all for Disney to have two back to back start times for the front portion and the back portion with different "you must be in your corral by" times to eliminate the insane waits for the back of the packers ORRRRRR does that not matter because people will still want to get in the corrals early to get better access to picture stops and more cushion from the sweepers???

I'd definitely be a fan of wave starts at runDisney races. Gives me more time to wait in pre-race character lines while the earlier corrals are headed to the start :).

But in all seriousness ... I just did a race that had 11,000+ finishers. So about rD 5K/10K size, right? They had the wave 1 and wave 2 corrals separated, and everything was fine ... and I didnt even show up until wave 1 corrals were starting.
I dont know that it would help with the on-couse character stops, because those long lines come from accumulation of people, but it'll definitely help with pre-race porta potty lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter